• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Married spiritually but not legally

Loyal
Touch yourself, that will confirm you are here, where ever here is. I cannot confirm whether it is a good or bad thing that you are where ever here is, ask the Lord my friend, he is the only one who knows.

Ask the population of USA and UK are you Christians, up to 90% say yes, many would even say they they are born again.

The only person who can truly answer that question is Jesus, amazing how they don't think to ask him!

Shalom
Personally myself, I think the" Holy Scriptures" teaches "us' to died is for "us' [The Sons of The Living GOD"] is a "Spectacular" event and to be a cherish, a knowledge that the people of this world will never know! Because GOD has only revealed this to "us", through HIS SON "Jesus Christ"

"Rather, as it is written: “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no heart has imagined, what God has prepared for those who love Him.” BUT GOD has revealed it to us by the Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God."

My apologies for breaking faith with the Title Thread. :pensive:

Active
I am married, but not legally. My husband and I can't afford to have a wedding or get rings right now, but we have prayed to god to accept our marriage and have told him that we are married. Do you have to get married by a priest to actually be married in god's eyes?
How much does a marriage license cost in your state?
A justice of the peace can perform the ceremony for very little cost.

Being legally married has benefits. Car insurance rates drop, for one.

There were no marriage licenses in Bible times. You were married in the eyes of God.

If you have a church the pastor might perform the ceremony without the license in that sense. You can always ask.

Loyal
There were no marriage licenses in Bible times. You were married in the eyes of God.

There was, at the time of Jesus, what was called the marriage covenant, whether a licence or covenant they are both based in law.

Below is a post I included in another thread some time ago, you may find it interesting.

What was marriage in at the time of Jesus.

Is what we do today in the western world right? No!

Now a days, people have a marriage ceremony, then reception, then go on honeymoon, Was it like that at the time of Jesus in Galilee, No!

We cannot say, well we are a different culture, this is what we do today, or Christian's do it this way, and Jews did it their way.

When we look at the marriage, at Canaan in Galilee, at the time of Jesus, we see the massive differences.

1 - The groom approaches his hopeful bride.
2 - He offers her wine as a way of saying, will you marry me, if she accepts they say their vows in public.

It was common for them to do this near the gates of the city because this was where the law makers would be.

Once she accepted the wine he offered, a covenant was made and they pronounced their vows to each other, at that point they were legally married, they then started the betrothal period; a little like the engagement today except they were then separated and would not meet with each other again for approximately 12 months. But meanwhile they were considered to be legally married from making of the Covenant.

During the 12 month, approximately, the bride would returned home and she would purchased the material for her dress, and make it or have it made, the same applies also for her ladies in waiting, we call bridesmaids. Meanwhile the groom, returned to his father's house, he started to prepare a room there for him and his wife. But they would not see each other again until, the grooms father said, 'go get your bride.'

She, the bride, had to be ready and waiting at all times, lamps trimmed, oil in the lamps and ready, she does not know the day of hour her groom will return for her. The groom prepares the place for his bride; he too has to wait; only his father can say when the groom can 'go get his bride'.

When the father says 'son go get your bride' the shofar is sounded, the trumpet call, and at that point he goes to get her, everyone comes out into the street and will see him, he goes and receives his bride unto himself. Then follows the wedding ceremony and wedding feast.

The Jewish wedding, in Galilee, is totally different to what we see today, and the couple never had sex until they were legally married, in the sight of God, when the Father said the time was right, not before.

The picture of a traditional wedding/marriage at the time of Jesus is a wonderful picture of how a wedding should be. As always, our Lord Jesus Christ, did what he always did, he took everyday things, here the wedding of a man and woman, and showed us heaven through them. It is important to note, the wedding at Canaan in Galilee was Jesus' first miracle, co-incidence, certain not, God-incidence certainly. This first miracle is the thread that leads to the last one, when we, the bride of Christ, the virgin church, the ekklesia, the born again from above believers, will be with our Lord and the Wedding Feast can begin. Jesus, the groom, is longing for his bride, the bride, the church is longing for her groom, but we meanwhile are to prepare ourselves, to be righteous in the sight of God, and wait patiently for the Father to say to Jesus, go get your bride.

Jesus showed us the example of the Wedding feast with the lamb through a wedding in Canaan in Galilee, which our Lord by example show us what a wedding is in the sight of God.

The groom offered his future bride some wine, at this point she accepted or rejected his invitation to marriage; this is God calling us to Jesus, to be born again, to be His Bride, the church, if we accept Jesus unconditionally the covenant between God and us was prepared through Jesus, it happens the moment we accepted Jesus, as brother Curtis says, this is the ring on the finger.

Then comes the betrothal period which we are in now, the church, the bride, the ekklesia, the born again from above believers are preparing ourselves for our groom, for our Lord's coming. The groom went away for a while, to the Father's house in Heaven, He is creating a place for His bride, but He cannot return until the Father says so. Only the Father knows the day and the hour. Like so much in scripture, one item is an image of what is to come, marriage and the wedding feast is one also. Jesus was the master of revelations, his parables give us an insight of heaven, in this first miracle at Canaan in Galilee, we hear the words of Mary, 'do whatever he tells you', or the miracle of the changing of water into 'the best wine', but under the sackcloth of this story is wrapped another incredible parable, I stand in awe praising God.

We are taught what a marriage was like, what a marriage should be like, yet we don't see it in the world we live, weddings today are sex first, ceremony later, which so often as to be as quick as possible as the couple cannot wait to get on honeymoon. Wedding ceremony's have become a means for yet another party and commercial gain for many.

But it wasn't like that, it was not intended to be like that, it wasn't like it at the time of Jesus, and what happened at the time of Jesus was a picture of a true wedding between our Lord and His Church, between the groom, the bride and the father of the groom. The pattern was set for us to learn from, the time line was set for the wedding feast, we are to be virgin brides, preparing for the grooms return, he is coming, our lights must always be trimmed and filled with oil, we are to be ready any hour, any minute, it only needs one step to be fulfilled... the Father saying, 'Son go get your bride'.

Today
2 - He offers her wine (a ring) and asks will you marry me, if she accepts they are betrothed, engaged, promised to each other.
3 - It is not until the wedding ceremony that the covenant is signed, at that point, making the wedding official.

They should not, according to God's Word, have sex before marriage, it is Sin.

Marriage was created by God, from the beginning, it is a worthy study.

Active
There was, at the time of Jesus, what was called the marriage covenant, whether a licence or covenant they are both based in law.

Below is a post I included in another thread some time ago, you may find it interesting.

What was marriage in at the time of Jesus.

Is what we do today in the western world right? No!

Now a days, people have a marriage ceremony, then reception, then go on honeymoon, Was it like that at the time of Jesus in Galilee, No!

We cannot say, well we are a different culture, this is what we do today, or Christian's do it this way, and Jews did it their way.

When we look at the marriage, at Canaan in Galilee, at the time of Jesus, we see the massive differences.

2 - He offers her wine as a way of saying, will you marry me, if she accepts they say their vows in public.

It was common for them to do this near the gates of the city because this was where the law makers would be.

Once she accepted the wine he offered, a covenant was made and they pronounced their vows to each other, at that point they were legally married, they then started the betrothal period; a little like the engagement today except they were then separated and would not meet with each other again for approximately 12 months. But meanwhile they were considered to be legally married from making of the Covenant.

During the 12 month, approximately, the bride would returned home and she would purchased the material for her dress, and make it or have it made, the same applies also for her ladies in waiting, we call bridesmaids. Meanwhile the groom, returned to his father's house, he started to prepare a room there for him and his wife. But they would not see each other again until, the grooms father said, 'go get your bride.'

She, the bride, had to be ready and waiting at all times, lamps trimmed, oil in the lamps and ready, she does not know the day of hour her groom will return for her. The groom prepares the place for his bride; he too has to wait; only his father can say when the groom can 'go get his bride'.

When the father says 'son go get your bride' the shofar is sounded, the trumpet call, and at that point he goes to get her, everyone comes out into the street and will see him, he goes and receives his bride unto himself. Then follows the wedding ceremony and wedding feast.

The Jewish wedding, in Galilee, is totally different to what we see today, and the couple never had sex until they were legally married, in the sight of God, when the Father said the time was right, not before.

The picture of a traditional wedding/marriage at the time of Jesus is a wonderful picture of how a wedding should be. As always, our Lord Jesus Christ, did what he always did, he took everyday things, here the wedding of a man and woman, and showed us heaven through them. It is important to note, the wedding at Canaan in Galilee was Jesus' first miracle, co-incidence, certain not, God-incidence certainly. This first miracle is the thread that leads to the last one, when we, the bride of Christ, the virgin church, the ekklesia, the born again from above believers, will be with our Lord and the Wedding Feast can begin. Jesus, the groom, is longing for his bride, the bride, the church is longing for her groom, but we meanwhile are to prepare ourselves, to be righteous in the sight of God, and wait patiently for the Father to say to Jesus, go get your bride.

Jesus showed us the example of the Wedding feast with the lamb through a wedding in Canaan in Galilee, which our Lord by example show us what a wedding is in the sight of God.

The groom offered his future bride some wine, at this point she accepted or rejected his invitation to marriage; this is God calling us to Jesus, to be born again, to be His Bride, the church, if we accept Jesus unconditionally the covenant between God and us was prepared through Jesus, it happens the moment we accepted Jesus, as brother Curtis says, this is the ring on the finger.

Then comes the betrothal period which we are in now, the church, the bride, the ekklesia, the born again from above believers are preparing ourselves for our groom, for our Lord's coming. The groom went away for a while, to the Father's house in Heaven, He is creating a place for His bride, but He cannot return until the Father says so. Only the Father knows the day and the hour. Like so much in scripture, one item is an image of what is to come, marriage and the wedding feast is one also. Jesus was the master of revelations, his parables give us an insight of heaven, in this first miracle at Canaan in Galilee, we hear the words of Mary, 'do whatever he tells you', or the miracle of the changing of water into 'the best wine', but under the sackcloth of this story is wrapped another incredible parable, I stand in awe praising God.

We are taught what a marriage was like, what a marriage should be like, yet we don't see it in the world we live, weddings today are sex first, ceremony later, which so often as to be as quick as possible as the couple cannot wait to get on honeymoon. Wedding ceremony's have become a means for yet another party and commercial gain for many.

But it wasn't like that, it was not intended to be like that, it wasn't like it at the time of Jesus, and what happened at the time of Jesus was a picture of a true wedding between our Lord and His Church, between the groom, the bride and the father of the groom. The pattern was set for us to learn from, the time line was set for the wedding feast, we are to be virgin brides, preparing for the grooms return, he is coming, our lights must always be trimmed and filled with oil, we are to be ready any hour, any minute, it only needs one step to be fulfilled... the Father saying, 'Son go get your bride'.

Today
2 - He offers her wine (a ring) and asks will you marry me, if she accepts they are betrothed, engaged, promised to each other.
3 - It is not until the wedding ceremony that the covenant is signed, at that point, making the wedding official.

They should not, according to God's Word, have sex before marriage, it is Sin.

Marriage was created by God, from the beginning, it is a worthy study.
Thank you for adding that detail to the second part of my posts observation. :)

There was no marriage license in the time of Jesus, as I said, but one can enter the marriage covenant under God. Which is why I suggested the member in the OP might check with their church to see if the pastor would accommodate that.

After all, the secular state license is a contract with the state giving the signed couples permission to marry under state law.

While ecclesiastical ritual and covenant affords a union under God.

And the separation clause of the Constitution insures the latter is also legal in the eyes of the state. Because a pastor would typically sign a marriage certificate once they'd performed the ceremony.:)

Loyal
The details in the post were to confirm that a covenant was required and was prepared by the law makers. But the details are quite special when we look at the marriage ceremony in Canaan in Galilee, as the procedure at that marriage/feast, was a model Jesus used to explain his Church, His Bride, and that all who are saved will enjoy, with him, the wedding feast of the lamb.

The state licence, USA, or civil licence in the UK, are the worldly licences required by the country or state to be officially married, in the UK the same licence is to record and comply with law, for civil or church marriage (as they are categorised).

Some think a man and woman are married when they have sex, although there are a couple of examples in the OT, this was not the case at the time of Jesus. At the time of Jesus there was the procedure mentioned above, then a ceremony, the the consummation, whilst the wedding feast went ahead, often for a week or more. The important think, even though things are different in the west is that a covenant and ceremony was required before sex.

The marriage licence is required today, as was the covenant at the time of Jesus, but it is a civil licence to suit the state or country's law, which sadly has become watered down in recent years by same sex marriages which were never in God's plan and will never be acceptable in his eyes, anything other than a marriage between a man and woman is sin. Even sex before marriage is sin, whether in thought or deed.

Bless you

Loyal
Some think a man and woman are married when they have sex,

The Bible calls this fornication.

In the Bible sex happens "after" the marriage, not during the marriage.

If I'm married to someone, and I have sex with someone else, am I married to them now? What if they are married to someone else? Are they married to both people they are having sex with?
What if I have sex with someone who is the same sex? Does God consider us married?

This falls apart on so many levels.

Jesus told the woman at the well she has had 5 husbands, but the one you are with NOW, isn't your husband.

Shacking up doesn't count as marriage to Jesus.

Loyal
WOW, A covenant is confirm by a "Witness"! I getting to believe people have not read their bibles throughly. I didn't not say "study their Bibles throughly" just to have read it "throughly". Throughout the "Bible" there is also A Theme concerning "Witnesses". From Genesis to Revelations there is also a Theme concerning "the Power of a witness or witnesses".

All of these gaps have to be coming from the teaching in the "Institutionalize Churches" because it is not coming out of "The BIBLE"!.

Covenants was confirm by "rocks" and "witnesses", even Jesus said he had a "witnesses" concerning who He was!

New International Version
I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me."

New International Version
But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.'

English Standard Version
“But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me.

English Standard Version
But you say, “Why does he not?” Because the LORD was witness between you and the wife of your youth, to whom you have been faithless, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant.
Proverbs 2:17
who abandons the partner of her youth and forgets the covenant of her God.

The woman caught in the Very act of Adultery.

Jesus said: Where are YOUR [accusers] Witnesses, do anybody condemn you?

She Said: "No One"

Because after Jesus got threw writing on the Ground, the Bible said; when Jesus looked up everyBody was gone!:laughing:

Where are your "witnesses" , she didn't have none! They left!:laughing:

And Jesus didn't catch her, he was not a eye witness in his "humanity". how could he condemn her, if he was not a witness? He would have Broke the LAW of God if He did. Then he could not have been the Perfect Sacrifice. You would still be in your sins, un-redeem.:pensive:

Loyal

If I'm married to someone, and I have sex with someone else, am I married to them now? What if they are married to someone else? Are they married to both people they are having sex with?
What if I have sex with someone who is the same sex? Does God consider us married?

Jesus told the woman at the well she has had 5 husbands, but the one you are with NOW, isn't your husband.

Totally agree brother

Loyal
The woman caught in the Very act of Adultery.

Jesus said: Where are YOUR [accusers] Witnesses, do anybody condemn you?

She Said: "No One"

Because after Jesus got threw writing on the Ground,

Interesting, what did Jesus write on the ground?

If your hand or foot causes you to sin.... cut it off

If..... causes you to sin... cut it off

Loyal

Why do you think "Mary" was called a "fornicator" and had no friends and Jesus a "illegitimate child", a child of Fornication in the Bible. because, Her year of the Marital ceremony was not completed to prove her "Virginity" of Sanctification". Design by GOD!

Under The ceremony of GOD pertain to the Hebrews during that time, after Betrothal and living together for 1 year, there was NO SEX! So after one year! and she is not pregnant and the husband have not touch her , He knows and the whole village assumes she is a virgin and faithful to GOD!
Virginity as of today, seems to have no value of Purity in our christianity of this day and age but only something to be look down upon. and The Purity of The Marital Bed has become something strange and foreign to "HOLY MATRIMONY" and doesn't mean nothing. to the bride or groom. Purity is nothing but "adolescent word" concerning "betrothal" in christianity.

A lot of churches has polluted the well, and a lot of people have drunk the water that has been trample under its feet.

Where are these people getting this stuff from. No wonder kids don't know if they are " males or females" this is a product of us! We sowed it, we are now reaping it" and want to put the blame on someone else! The church is full of this mess! "Broken Cisterns"

I read just the other day in ADA, OK, that a Pastor and His wife been married about 30 years, he go's on a trip to help people, She has the young sex partner at their house while he is gone. Out standing leaders in the community. She tells the young sex partner she wants her husband dead., He is too boring and she is tired his old weak bald headed dull low testosterone performing creature. She gets up, while her husband is sleep in the bed, gets his gun, open the door for the young sex partner, Gives him the gun, she watches as He shoots her husband, the pastor of 30 years OF marriage blows his head off. long story made short here. She claims a robber comes in and robs them and shoots her husband. Crying in tears, oh how sorry they was about her, for this black man robbed them, kills her husband. But as time goes on, Here comes the "Holy Spirit" she got to tell! Tells her daughter what she had done.:pensive: Killed her daddy. It is "Juicy". Juicy, juicy Her daughter told her she got called the police and tell the truth.

Right now, christians right here now, is making excuses for her. No, no, no, she spill all of the "BEANS"! All the Beans what she did! She did not leave nothing out! Be not deceive, that "HOLY GHOST" will make you tell the whole, The Whole"TRUTH":eyes: It will make you tell on yourself! Especially when HE " ILLUMINATES HELL" you talking about a "Psychotic Episode" in Living Color with all of The Tapestry, it will give The word "visions" a New Meaning!:eyes:

She told it all, and she was no "beauty queen" and he was not a "Black knight in Shining Armor"! The lover.

That Devil, when he cast "That STAR DUST" between a man and a women, and neither one is your spouse and you must believe, The Bible does not say: "The marriage Bed is sweet"! The Bible Says: "That Stolen Waters are Sweet" and The Kisses of an adulteress drips like honey.

American Standard Version
For the lips of a strange woman drop honey, And her mouth is smoother than oil:
But in the end she is bitter as wormwood, Sharp as a two-edged sword.…"

Proverbs 7:21
With her many persuasions she entices him; With her flattering lips she seduces him.

Proverbs 22:14
The mouth of an adulteress is a deep pit; He who is cursed of the LORD will fall into it.

Now you ain't going to get the WORD of GOD like this on a "SUNDAY Morning nor a Wednesday night", If you do, it will be diluted.

Because if it is presented right, you ain't going no where "NEAR HER HOUSE"!, And you will be not opening the door for her, nor cutting her grass, you will not even say good morning, or how nice the weather is or will be, we are called to be wise. And if she fell out in the street, Mouth to mouth resuscitation is out of the question:eyes: I will she her in The Resurrection! Depends:pensive:

Now to finish this, to make sure the ladies are protected too! So your are protect too, because if we don't come by your house, and we don't open the door for you, nor bid you Good Morning or good afternoon, or help you cross the street. you will not even know our name. And we will see one another on "Resurrection" safe and secure.
I feel sorry for those men and women who work together. for that combination has destroyed a many of homes and families. BE those places "secular or religious". In earlier years it was said: when a man and woman is together and the other is not their spouse, the Devil is right in their mist. The Perfect Formula for a "Disaster". Now days christians do not believe in such things. But have a "escape clause". if a man or women is not your spouse, you should not be having a meal together. i don' t care if it is a cup of coffee!

I Remember one time my wife told me, '"Dr. Blank Blank, told her, I Didn't know what kind of wife I had. Mind You this, "I grew up the Hood", could you imagine the words that "satan" was telepathing to me. And this guy was a christian. There has been so many times that christian men and women had said things to my wife. they would not dare say to me or to my face. I don't think they knew she told me some of the things they said. My wife is very highly naive. And she trust these people. Six figures pay checks.
She gave a "Pastor" $14,000 one day. After I left out of town for about 2 weeks of better, I did not find out to about 3 to 4 months later. When she got really concerned. I told her Do not let that person in my house again. she ask about the money, I repeated, do not let that person in my house again. Never saw the money again. I Never asked, maybe she did. I called another christian out, Called him up and said: "Stay out of my house". His reply yes sir. I gave no reason, don't have too! And may this list go on, But i am the enemy. but everybody else is the christian. For over 40 years I am different. I am not coming over your house when you ain't home, I am not chat chatting with your wife on the phone, in the church building or on the street or on the corners, I am not discussing the weather with your wife. I am not going ask here to load me any money without your knowledge. And I will always going to uplift your husband. I don't care if he is a drunk! Because I stay out of y'all business, and always at 1st Light Pointing you to JESUS!

Now if you want some comfort, go lay up in Pastor Givemore arms!

I am going to point you to Jesus! Because i know I cannot help you. For we both, might in up in the Ditch!:neutral:

Loyal
Interesting, what did Jesus write on the ground?

If your hand or foot causes you to sin.... cut it off

If..... causes you to sin... cut it off
Know one knows what he wrote, but what he did write, most likely made them walk away, for i do believe He wrote it out of HIS Divinity and not out of HIS "humanity".

Loyal
I guess for those who believe having sex makes you married, they will have to get some witnesses for the consummation.

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Not funny really, the sad news is some believe they are married when they have sex.

How many wives???

How many sins???

Loyal
Know one knows what he wrote, but what he did write, most likely made them walk away, for i do believe He wrote it out of HIS Divinity and not out of HIS "humanity".

I totally agree with what you say brother.

The reason for the statement was to make us think.

We may gouge out our eye or cut off a hand because we keep on sinning, but what if we keep committing sexual sin?

The message is about repetitive sin, so why could/would a sinner cut off, gouge out parts of his/her body, but not be as quick to do so with other parts?

Shalom

Loyal
I totally agree with what you say brother.

The reason for the statement was to make us think.

We may gouge out our eye or cut off a hand because we keep on sinning, but what if we keep committing sexual sin?

The message is about repetitive sin, so why could/would a sinner cut off, gouge out parts of his/her body, but not be as quick to do so with other parts?

Shalom
Well, what about if You are a "True son of The Living GOD" and keep on sinning, what do you think your "Father" who is in Heaven going to do? Since you are not a "Wastard":eyes: " B"

Loyal
Well -- being born again won't keep you from sinning. We'll always have that propensity For -- but it won't be an on-going life-style thing. The Holy Spirit Will be talking to that person About their personal sin issue.

Have no clue as to what you're referring to with "Wastard "B" thing. :eyes: --just found your 'eye' thing.

Loyal
If you are not a True Son of GOD, You can fornicate, commit adultery, lie, steal, bear false witness, scheme, dis obey your husband, dis respect him, talk about him behind his back, gossip, put all your trash of your home in street, make people feel sorry for you, make people feel ill of others, in the name of Jesus all you want to.
Feel free. Ain't No harm going to come to you! BUT, when "The BOOKS" will be Open:eyes:

Now if you are a true child, you are scared! Because you have a Father in Heaven will put THE FEAR of GOD in you!! By the Whip! You just don't keep doing stuff like that, Because you have "Scars"& "stripes and wounds", "Spare the ROD spoil THE CHILD"

That is why a lot of christians, says things like this; "God is Love", He forgives, GOD is Good, all the time. Because they think they gotten away, with all that, adultery, fornicating, back bitting, Gossiping against their husbands and wives, Racism, trash talking about their husband, and laughing behind his back, then at night, "father forgive me I have sin" Get up the next morning and go to the spa, get my nails done, Lips and ears be burning so hot, cannot wait to get to the "Beauty Parlor". You see a lot of women don't think they need to be "bent over the Knee" and get a little "tanning"! they don't want no correction: unamused: And they always say we should "Love" them Like Christ loves the Church":eyes: Really.

Hebrews 12:6
For the Lord disciplines the one He loves, and He chastises every son He receives."

Revelation 3:19
Those I love, I rebuke and discipline. Therefore be earnest and repent.

Deuteronomy 8:5
So know in your heart that just as a man disciplines his son, so the LORD your God disciplines you.
God Disciplines His Sons
"And you have forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons: “My son, do not take lightly the discipline of the Lord, and do not lose heart when He rebukes you. 6For the Lorddisciplines the one He loves, and He chastisesevery son He receives.” Endure suffering as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?"…

Berean Study Bible
"If you do not experience discipline like everyone else, then you are illegitimate children and not true sons."

And why do GOD "DISCIPLINE" us?
It puts The FEAR of GOD in us! So,
1 Corinthians 11:32
But when we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world.

That is why A lot of Christians do not Fear GOD!