• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Love

Loyal
Love - a favorite subject of the world.
Very few things are talked about more than love.
There are hundreds of books about it, movies about it, and even counselors for it.
Yet I still think it's pretty misunderstood.

I read a facebook blog this morning.
It was simply called "Love is..."
I read probably a couple of hundred responses...

Love is looking hot.
Love is great sex.
Love is having fun together.
Love is a warm puppy.
Love is flowers and chocolate.
Love is nice.
Love is diamonds and a new car.
Love is staring in the eyes of someone you care about.
Love is a hug from my grandkids.

There were a few responses that kind of touched on it.
But I didn't find a single entry that mentioned anything about the 1 Corinthians 13 love.

1 Cor 13:4; Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant,
1 Cor 13:5; does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered,
1 Cor 13:6; does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;
1 Cor 13:7; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1 Cor 13:8; Love never fails; ...

The other thing about love...
Love isn't what say, Love is what you do.

Actions speak louder than words, and in the case of love, words only go so far.
In Luke 10:25; someone asks Jesus how do I get eternal life?

Jesus answers this question with a question. "What does it say in the law?" ( Luke 10:26; )
It's interesting that Jesus uses the law to answer the question about eternal life.

Luke 10:27; And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

Jesus says... "Yes, that's right. If you do this you will have eternal life". ( Luke 10:28; )

But then the man goes a little further... and asks "Who is my neighbor?"
In Luke 10:30-38; Jesus tells the story of the good Samaritan. This particular story is not identified
as a parable. Which means it is probably something that really happened.

Most of us know the story of the good Samaritan.
Many of us know Samaritans were despised by Jews back in those times (and even a little today).
It seems a priest and a Levite passed the man by. They are the ones you would have expected
to help him. But they didn't. Instead a Samaritan does.

The Samaritan bandages up his wounds, gives him some oil and wine. He gets off his horse
and puts the injured man on his horse and takes him to an inn. He pays for the man's night
at the inn (probably a meal or two also) and tells the inn keeper, if it costs more to take of him,
I will repay you.

If this is how we "Love our neighbor as our-self", then it seems love is not mere words,
but love requires action.

================================================================================

God love us.
He feeds us, He clothes us, He heals us when we are sick. He sent His Son to die for us.
God "demonstrated" His love for us. ( Rom 5:8; )
Jesus died for us. On a cross.
The Holy Spirit comforts us when are sad, lonely, depressed, afraid.

God acts out His love toward us.
Love isn't what you say, it's what you do.

Loyal
In Ezek 34:17; God says "I will judge my flock" (my people) and separate the sheep from the goats.
Jesus mentions this in Matt 25:32-46;
He says the sheep were the good Samaritans of the world. They fed the hungry, they clothed the poor,
they comforted the sick. The goats are the priests and Levites of the world. They saw the need
but didn't do anything about it.

================================================================================

In James 2:8; it mentions loving your neighbor as yourself again.

James goes on to say that faith alone can't save you. ( James 2:24; )

Jas 2:15; If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food,
Jas 2:16; and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and be filled," and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that?
Jas 2:17; Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.

Like the good Samaritan and the sheep. They fed the hungry and clothed the poor.

Loyal
Many of us say we love Jesus.
Many of us can quote Rom 8:28; as a favorite verse. All things work together for good.... "to those who LOVE God".
Well... I love God. I love Jesus. Doesn't everybody?

The Bible says if we love Jesus/God we will keep His commandments.
John 14:15; John 14:21; John 15:10; 1 Jn 5:2-3; 2 Jn 1:6; etc...

Loyal
at the end of the story of the good Samaritan, Jesus tells the man who asked Him "Who is my neighbor".

Luke 10:37; And he said, "The one who showed mercy toward him." Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do the same."

We are commanded to love our neighbors.
We are also commanded to love God. (These are two greatest commandments).

How are you doing this? How are you showing people love?
How are you showing God love?

Loyal
could it be all about bearing His fruit?

I think very much so. But I notice it's never called "His" fruit in the Bible. Usually it's called our fruit.

A theme I see here on TJ lately is "He is the vine, we are the branches and we can do nothing without Him".
That is true.

But He doesn't force us to do anything. We are capable of bearing bad fruit, and even no fruit at all, even while believing
Jesus is in us. The trouble with thinking Jesus makes all the fruit, is that even the bad fruit would have to come from Him.

Loyal
I would also mention that love is only part of the fruit.
Love... joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control;

So if we claim to have the "spiritual" fruit... we need these other things as well.

Staff Member
Greetings,

this verse comes to mind:

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
Matthew 6:24

or from Luke 16:13
No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10

Greetings again,

a couple more thought arrived today...
One being some Scripture,
from John 14:5-31

in these Scripture we read about love, keeping commandments and works.
Also the evidence of those who abide and do.

Thomas saith unto Him, Lord, we know not whither Thou goest; and how can we know the way?
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me. If ye had known Me, ye should have known My Father also: and from henceforth ye know Him, and have seen Him.

Philip saith unto Him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known Me, Philip? he that hath seen Me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of Myself: but the Father that dwelleth in Me, He doeth the works. Believe Me that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me: or else believe Me for the very works' sake. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on Me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto My Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in My name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

If ye shall ask any thing in My name, I will do it.
If ye love Me, keep My commandments.

And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him: but ye know Him; for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Yet a little while, and the world seeth Me no more; but ye see Me: because I live, ye shall live also. At that day ye shall know that I am in My Father, and ye in Me, and I in you.
He that hath My commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him.

Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest Thyself unto us, and not unto the world?

Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love Me, he will keep My words: and My Father will love him, and We will come unto him, and make Our abode with him. He that loveth Me not keepeth not My sayings: and the word which ye hear is not Mine, but the Father's which sent Me.

These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you.
If ye loved Me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for My Father is greater than I.
And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in Me. But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave Me commandment, even so I do.

Arise, let us go hence.

we can see the significance of the works spoken of here in the Old Testament:

O Lord GOD, thou hast begun to shew Thy servant Thy greatness, and Thy mighty hand: for what God is there in heaven or in earth, that can do according to Thy works, and according to Thy might?
Deuteronomy 3:24

So,

Incline your ear, and come unto Me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David.
Isaiah 55:3

and this also ties in, if we can hear and/or see:

Seek ye the LORD while He may be found, call ye upon Him while He is near:

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and He will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon.

Isaiah 55:6-7

knowing that, we can and should keep His commandments for His witness is true...
Behold, I have given Him for a witness to the people, a leader and commander to the people.
Isaiah 55:4

and then, there is a counter love and works:

Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to His disciples, Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not. For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.
Matthew 23:1-7

Bless you ....><>

Then said they unto Him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on Him whom He hath sent.

John 6:28-29

Staff Member
And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of Man.
Luke 17:26

Greetings once more,

Let us consider the things going on in Noah's days.
Now, let us consider the things going on today.

And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Genesis 6:5

Is it possible that the measure of love today (following the OP here) is relative to the hearing and doing?

If so, perhaps we may further the OP and warn people of the coming fire?
The Scriptures and Prophecy do not lie regarding this. We must not.

Some of you will know the words in Revelation about Babylon? Please go and read Isaiah 13 . It won't take long,
The burden of Babylon, which Isaiah the son of Amoz did see. Isaiah 13:1

And the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell: and great Babylon came in remembrance before God, to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of His wrath.
Revelation 16:19

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

2Peter 3:10-12

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
Greetings,

keeping in the flow of the above, if I may?

Yes, there is warning but there is also an encouragement to come on up out of the shadows...

For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on Me, believeth not on Me, but on Him that sent Me. And he that seeth Me seeth Him that sent Me.

I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on Me should not abide in darkness.

And if any man hear My words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. He that rejecteth Me, and receiveth not My words, hath One that judgeth him: the Word that I have spoken, the same shall judge Him in the last day. For I have not spoken of Myself; but the Father which sent Me, He gave Me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

And I know that His commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto Me, so I speak.

John 12:43-50

Let's get serious.

Love is a doing word, a serious doing word.

Hold thy peace at the presence of the Lord GOD: for the day of the LORD is at hand: for the LORD hath prepared a sacrifice, He hath bid His guests.
Zephaniah 1:7

Bless you ....><>

Active

RJ

I think very much so. But I notice it's never called "His" fruit in the Bible. Usually it's called our fruit.
John15:5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
Sure sounds as if it is his fruit to me!

Active

RJ

Which part of the tree bares the fruit? The trunk or the branches? We are the branches.
Yep, Vine Dresser, Vine and the branches. The Branches bare the fruit (work) but the Vine produces the fruit and any barren branch is cut off by the Vine Dresser and burned!

Staff Member
Greetings,

Yep, Vine Dresser, Vine and the branches. The Branches bare the fruit (work) but the Vine produces the fruit and any barren branch is cut off by the Vine Dresser and burned!

don't forget that the bearing branches also get pruned.

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
Greetings again,

sorry to add again so quickly but

so the branches that get "cut off by the Vine Dresser and burned" had to first be part of the Vine? Yep?

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
Greetings,

When will the "Vine Dresser" do the 'cutting off' and 'pruning'?
Could it be what is told us of the separation of the goats from the sheep?

And before Him shall be gathered all nations: and He shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
Matthew 25:32

If not, when?
And, when will one know of these things?

For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath. And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matthew 25:29-30

Bless you ....><>

Active

RJ

Greetings again,

sorry to add again so quickly but

so the branches that get "cut off by the Vine Dresser and burned" had to first be part of the Vine? Yep?

Bless you ....><>

John 1:3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
Whether some believe it or not, we all are a branch of Jesus; some are Christians, are in him and he in them and they bear his fruit, others do not and will be eventually cut off. Good branches are pruned for more productive growth and bearing. Does that answer your questions?

Staff Member
Greetings,

Whether some believe it or not, we all are a branch of Jesus; some are Christians, are in him and he in them and they bear his fruit, others do not and will be eventually cut off.

does that mean that everyone is a branch, non-Christians and Christians and anyone else if there is anyone else apart from these two? Is that what you are saying?

Bless you ....><>

Active

RJ

does that mean that everyone is a branch, non-Christians and Christians and anyone else if there is anyone else apart from these two? Is that what you are saying?
Yes, again:
John 1:3
Look, we all don't talki n trems of this, much less all believe this but, the Bible teaches that Jesus created EVERYTHING, he created Adam and Eve.... all of us.
What does this verse mean to you?
John 15:5.......Jesus says this to all...believers and unbelievers alike!