• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Looking for Paul

JLG

157)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Galatians Chapter 1

- Of course, you heard about my conduct formerly in Judaism, that I kept intensely persecuting the congregation of God and devastating it; and I was making greater progress in Judaism than many of my own age in my nation, as I was far more zealous for the traditions of my fathers. But when God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through his undeserved kindness, thought good to reveal his Son through me so that I might declare the good news about him to the nations, I did not immediately consult with any human; nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before I was, but I went to Arabia, and then I returned to Damascus.

- Here we have the reason why Jesus chose Paul for his special mission: he was zealous! - And when Jesus called him he left Judaism for God’s way without looking back! - That’s what we have to do: when we choose God’s way, we mustn’t turn back but always go straight away! - Not like Lot’s wife! - Eternal life is at stake! - And Paul didn’t go all at once to Jerusalem and to the apostles! - But he served God and Jesus directly and deeply!

JLG

158)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Ephesians Chapter 2

- Yes, among them we all at one time conducted ourselves in harmony with the desires of our flesh, carrying out the will of the flesh and of our thoughts, and we were naturally children of wrath just as the rest. But God, being rich in mercy, because of his great love with which he loved us, made us alive together with Christ, even when we were dead in trespasses - by undeserved kindness you have been saved.

- When we don’t know about God’s word, we can’t behave according to God’s word! - But being told about God's word, we have the opportunity to turn our backs from our past life and follow God! - And live in harmony with God’s word! - And adopt a better style of life which can protect us from many problems! - And then we can have a purpose in life! - And having the hope of working forever for our creator is something incredible to think about because then you can forget poor human management!

JLG

159)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Philippians Chapter 1

- Now I want you to know, brothers, that my situation has actually turned out for the advancement of the good news, so that my prison bonds for the sake of Christ have become public knowledge among all the Praetorian Guard and all the rest. Now most of the brothers in the Lord have gained confidence because of my prison bonds, and they are showing all the more courage to speak the word of God fearlessly.

- Paul was an incredible example for the disciples when he was alive! - And he keeps being an incredible example for those who believe in God’s word today! - Yes, we need to gain confidence to talk about God’s word! - Yes, we need courage to speak the word of God fearlessly!

JLG

160)

Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Colossians Chapter 1

- Also, he is before all other things, and by means of him all other things were made to exist, and he is the head of the body, the congregation. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he might become the one who is first in all things; because God was pleased to have all fullness to dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all other things by making peace through the blood he shed on the torture stake, whether the things on the earth or the things in the heavens.

- Thus Jesus is the beginning of everything! - He is the head of the congregation! - He is the firstborn from the dead! - He has become the one who is first in all things! - Through the blood he shed! - And by using the expression “God was pleased” Paul shows the special relationship between God and Jesus!

JLG

161)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Thessalonians Chapter 2

You yourselves surely know, brothers, that our visit to you has not been without results. For although we had first suffered and been insolently treated in Philippi, as you know, we mustered up boldness by means of our God to tell you the good news of God in the face of much opposition.

- Paul always reminds us that being a disciple is not a job for tourists! - It must fill our hearts and minds! - We must be 100% active! - It is not when we have time! - It must fill our thoughts! - That’s the only way to get boldness to speak about God's word!

JLG

162)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

1 Timothy Chapter 1

- Now we know that the Law is fine if one applies it properly, recognizing that law is made, not for a righteous man, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, ungodly and sinners, disloyal and profane, murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, manslayers, sexually immoral people, men who practice homosexuality, kidnappers, liars, perjurers, and everything else that is in opposition to the wholesome teaching according to the glorious good news of the happy God, with which I was entrusted.

- The meaning of a righteous man! - There is no room for: - Lawless people! - Rebellious ones! - Ungodly ones! - Sinners! - Disloyal ones! - Profane ones! - Murderers of fathers and mothers! - Manslayers! - Sexually immoral people! - Men who practice immorality! - Kidnappers! - Liars! - Perjurers! - Quite a long list! - And a lot to think about in connection with our modern world which is far away from God’s criteria! - Man will never understand!

JLG

163)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Titus Chapter 1

- A certain one of them, their own prophet, said: “Cretans are always liars, injurious wild beasts, idle gluttons.” This witness is true. For this very reason, keep on reproving them with severity so that they may be healthy in the faith, paying no attention to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn away from the truth. All things are clean to clean people; but to those who are defiled and faithless, nothing is clean, for both their minds and their consciences are defiled. They publicly declare that they know God, but they disown him by their works, because they are detestable and disobedient and not approved for good work of any sort.

- Be healthy in the faith! - That’s a good image! - We should be careful about our faith if we care about it! - That’s the same for our physical and mental health! - Unfortunately the majority forgets about it! - And as a result we get so many diseases! - And the problems occur when people are younger and younger! - Find the error!

JLG

164)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Hebrews Chapter 1

- But about which of the angels has he ever said: “Sit at my right hand until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet”? Are they not all spirits for holy service, sent out to minister for those who are going to inherit salvation?

- First God must place Jesus’ enemies as a stool for his feet then God’s kingdom will come! - Then the second part is also interesting! - Are they not ALL spirits for holy service, sent out … - He doesn’t say a minority but all! - Thus there is plenty of work for everybody!

JLG

Romans Chapter 1

- They exchanged the truth of God for the lie and venerated and rendered sacred service to the creation rather than the Creator!

1 Corinthians Chapter 1

- in the wisdom of God, the world did not get to know God through its wisdom

Galatians Chapter 1

- when God, thought good to reveal his Son through me so that I might declare the good news about him to the nations, I did not immediately consult with any human; nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before I was, but I went to Arabia, and then I returned to Damascus!

Ephesians Chapter 2

- But God made us alive together with Christ!

Philippians Chapter 1

- so that my prison bonds for the sake of Christ have become public knowledge among all the Praetorian Guard and all the rest. Now most of the brothers in the Lord have gained confidence because of my prison bonds, and they are showing all the more courage to speak the word of God fearlessly!

Colossians Chapter 1

- He is before all other things, and by means of him all other things were made to exist, and he is the head of the body, the congregation. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he might become the one who is first in all things; because God was pleased to have all fullness to dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all other things by making peace through the blood he shed on the torture stake, whether the things on the earth or the things in the heavens.

Thessalonians Chapter 2

We mustered up boldness by means of our God to tell you the good news of God in the face of much opposition.

1 Timothy Chapter 1

- Now we know that the Law is fine if one applies it properly, recognizing that law is made, not for a righteous man, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, ungodly and sinners, disloyal and profane, murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, manslayers, sexually immoral people, men who practice homosexuality, kidnappers, liars, perjurers, and everything else that is in opposition to the wholesome teaching according to the glorious good news of the happy God, with which I was entrusted.

Titus Chapter 1

- be healthy in the faith, paying no attention to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn away from the truth. They publicly declare that they know God, but they disown him by their works, because they are detestable and disobedient and not approved for good work of any sort.

Hebrews Chapter 1

- But about which of the angels has he ever said: “Sit at my right hand until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet”?

JLG

• As usual, Paul speaks about the corruption of God’s word through man’s tradition that was running in all directions after Jesus’ death!
  • He explains that we must choose between God’s wisdom and man’s wisdom!
  • If we choose man’s wisdom we will never understand the Bible!
  • When we read Paul, it’s incredible to think that he did everything by himself!
  • Of course, he was helped by Jesus and by receiving holy spirit!
  • For him, it was crystal clear that God made us alive together with Christ!
  • His example was an incredible encouragement for all Christians and especially his prison bonds!
  • The Christians used to tell the good news of God with boldness and through much opposition!
  • And he warned Christians to keep away from Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn away from the truth, so once again dealing with the corruption of God’s word through man’s tradition!
  • He said that law is made, not for the righteous man but for the unrighteous man who is lawless, rebellious, ungodly, sinners, disloyal, profane, murderers, manslayers, sexually immoral people, men who practice homosexuality, kidnappers, liars, perjurers and everything that is in opposition with the glorious good news of the happy God!

JLG

• Here we get two interesting points:

• First in Colossians Chapter 1:17-20

He
αὐτός (autos)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

is
ἐστιν (estin)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

before
πρὸ (pro)
Preposition
Strong's 4253: A primary preposition; 'fore', i.e. In front of, prior to.

all things,
πάντων (pantōn)
Adjective - Gen
itive Neuter Plural
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction
Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

Him
αὐτῷ (autō)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

all things
πάντα (panta)
Adjective - Nominative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

hold together.
συνέστηκεν (synestēken)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 4921: To place together, commend, prove, exhibit; instrans: I stand with; To be composed of, cohere.

• Jesus is before all things!
  • And in him all things hold together!
  • He participated in the creation of everything!

JLG

Colossians 1:18

And
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

He
αὐτός (autos)

is
ἐστιν (estin)
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

the
ἡ (hē)
Article - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

head
κεφαλὴ (kephalē)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2776: From the primary kapto; the head, literally or figuratively.

of the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

body,
σώματος (sōmatos)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 4983: Body, flesh; the body of the Church. From sozo; the body, used in a very wide application, literally or figuratively.

the
τῆς (tēs)
Article - Genitive Feminine Singular

church;
ἐκκλησίας (ekklēsias)
Noun - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 1577: From a compound of ek and a derivative of kaleo; a calling out, i.e. a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation.

He
ὅς (hos)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

is
ἐστιν (estin)

the
ἡ (hē)
Article - Nominative Feminine Singular

beginning
ἀρχή (archē)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 746: From archomai; a commencement, or chief.

[and] firstborn
πρωτότοκος (prōtotokos)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4416: First-born, eldest. From protos and the alternate of tikto; first-born.

from among
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Masculine Plural

dead,
νεκρῶν (nekrōn)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 3498: (a) adj: dead, lifeless, subject to death, mortal, (b) noun: a dead body, a corpse. From an apparently primary nekus; dead.

so that
ἵνα (hina)
Conjunction
Strong's 2443: In order that, so that. Probably from the same as the former part of heautou; in order that.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

all things
πᾶσιν (pasin)
Adjective - Dative Neuter Plural

He
αὐτὸς (autos)

may
γένηται (genētai)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Middle - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

have preeminence.
πρωτεύων (prōteuōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4409: To have preeminence, be chief, be first. From protos; to be first.

• Jesus is the head of the body, the church or congregation!
  • He is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead!
  • He has preeminence in all things after God!
  • Thus his special position!

JLG

• Colossians 1:19

For
ὅτι (hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

[God] was pleased [to have]
εὐδόκησεν (eudokēsen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2106: To be well-pleased, think it good, be resolved. From eu and dokeo; to think well of, i.e. Approve; specially, to approbate.

all
πᾶν (pan)
Adjective - Accusative Neuter Singular

[His]
τὸ (to)
Article - Accusative Neuter Singular

fullness
πλήρωμα (plērōma)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 4138: From pleroo; repletion or completion, i.e. what fills, or what is filled.

dwell
κατοικῆσαι (katoikēsai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 2730: To dwell in, settle in, be established in (permanently), inhabit. From kata and oikeo; to house permanently, i.e. Reside.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition

Him,
αὐτῷ (autō)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Singular

• It was God’s will that Jesus got his position because of his actions!

JLG

• Colossians 1:20

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

through
δι’ (di’)
Preposition
Strong's 1223: A primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through.

Him
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular

to reconcile
ἀποκαταλλάξαι (apokatallaxai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 604: To reconcile, change from one state of feeling to another. From apo and katallasso; to reconcile fully.

to
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

Himself
αὐτόν (auton)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Singular

all things,
πάντα (panta)
Adjective - Accusative Neuter Plural

whether
εἴτε (eite)
Conjunction
Strong's 1535: And if, whether. From ei and te; if too.

things
τὰ (ta)
Article - Accusative Neuter Plural

on
ἐπὶ (epi)
Preposition
Strong's 1909: On, to, against, on the basis of, at.

earth
γῆς (gēs)
Noun - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 1093: Contracted from a primary word; soil; by extension a region, or the solid part or the whole of the terrene globe.

or
εἴτε (eite)
Conjunction
Strong's 1535: And if, whether. From ei and te; if too.

things
τὰ (ta)
Article - Accusative Neuter Plural

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition

heaven,
οὐρανοῖς (ouranois)
Noun - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3772: Perhaps from the same as oros; the sky; by extension, heaven; by implication, happiness, power, eternity; specially, the Gospel.

by making peace
εἰρηνοποιήσας (eirēnopoiēsas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1517: To make peace, reconcile. From eirenopoios; to be a peace-maker, i.e. to harmonize.

through
διὰ (dia)
Preposition
Strong's 1223: A primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through.

the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Neuter Singular

blood
αἵματος (haimatos)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 129: Blood, literally, figuratively or specially; by implication, bloodshed, also kindred.

of
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Masculine Singular

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular

cross.
σταυροῦ (staurou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 4716: A cross.

• We are told about reconciliation through Jesus for everything according to his blood and sacrifice!
  • Thus again the special position of Jesus!

JLG

• Then the second point in Hebrews Chapter 1:13

But
δὲ (de)
Conjunction
Strong's 1161: A primary particle; but, and, etc.

to
Πρὸς (Pros)
Preposition
Strong's 4314: To, towards, with. A strengthened form of pro; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. Toward.

which
τίνα (tina)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5101: Who, which, what, why. Probably emphatic of tis; an interrogative pronoun, who, which or what.

of the
τῶν (tōn)

angels
ἀγγέλων (angelōn)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 32: From aggello; a messenger; especially an 'angel'; by implication, a pastor.

did [God] ever say:
εἴρηκέν (eirēken)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2046: Probably a fuller form of rheo; an alternate for epo in certain tenses; to utter, i.e. Speak or say.

“Sit
Κάθου (Kathou)
Verb - Present Imperative Middle or Passive - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 2521: To sit, be seated, enthroned; I dwell, reside. From kata; and hemai; to sit down; figuratively, to remain, reside.

at
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

My
μου (mou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

right hand
δεξιῶν (dexiōn)
Adjective - Genitive Neuter Plural
Strong's 1188: On the right hand, right hand, right. From dechomai; the right side or hand.

until
ἕως (heōs)
Conjunction
Strong's 2193: A conjunction, preposition and adverb of continuance, until.

I make
θῶ (thō)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 5087: To put, place, lay, set, fix, establish. A prolonged form of a primary theo to place.

Your
σου (sou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 4771: You. The person pronoun of the second person singular; thou.

enemies
ἐχθρούς (echthrous)
Adjective - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 2190: Hated, hostile; subst: an enemy. From a primary echtho; hateful; usually as a noun, an adversary.

a footstool
ὑποπόδιον (hypopodion)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 5286: A footstool. Neuter of a compound of hupo and pous; something under the feet, i.e. A foot-rest.

for
τῶν (tōn)

Your
σου (sou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 4771: You. The person pronoun of the second person singular; thou.

feet”?
ποδῶν (podōn)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 4228: The foot. A primary word; a 'foot'.

• God has his Son sit at his right hand till he reduces his enemies to nothing!
  • God will do that for his Son!

JLG

165)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Romans Chapter 1

- That is why God gave them over to disgraceful sexual passion, for their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature; likewise also the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in their lust toward one another, males with males, working what is obscene and receiving in themselves the full penalty, which was due for their error.

- Once again an interesting verse! - Disgraceful sexual passion! - And receiving in themselves the full penalty which was due for their error! - Through sexual diseases! - When we look at human history, it is too true! - And especially nowadays! - And it keeps growing and growing! - And it is the same for everything and everywhere!

JLG

166)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

1 Corinthians Chapter 1
- For the Jews ask for signs and the Greeks look for wisdom; but we preach Christ executed on the stake, to the Jews a cause for stumbling but to the nations foolishness.

- It is still true today! - God seems to be nonsense! - But man’s behavior is nonsense! - A nonsense can only lead to more nonsense! - And we are digging our tomb! - And it seems obvious for more and more people! - That’s why God’s intervention is needed! - To wash all this nonsense and bring back wisdom on earth!

JLG

167)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Galatians Chapter 1

- Then three years later I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas, and I stayed with him for 15 days. But I did not see any of the other apostles, only James the brother of the Lord.

- Incredible! - For three years Paul was on his own before going to Jerusalem and to the apostles! - He had no connection with them! - And he did an incredible job! - He was definitely sent by Jesus to fulfill an incredible mission! - And turning back from Judaism, he rushed into God’s word making an incredible number of disciples in a short time! - For him it was an obligation! - The way was straight! - He would never let the work or the harvest be done by others! - He would do the job again and again, never turning back! - Unbelievable! - And probably disturbing for the majority who are not ready to follow his example!

Remember:

• If you think like today’s people, you will never understand the Bible!
  • They used to write differently!
  • They used to speak differently!
  • They used to think differently!
  • They used to act differently!

JLG

Who was Paul in the Bible? | GotQuestions.org

There is much we can learn from the life of the apostle Paul. Far from ordinary, Paul was given the opportunity to do extraordinary things for the kingdom of God. The story of Paul is a story of redemption in Jesus Christ and a testimony that no one is beyond the saving grace of the Lord. However, to gain the full measure of the man, we must examine his dark side and what he symbolized before becoming “the Apostle of Grace.” Paul’s early life was marked by religious zeal, brutal violence, and the relentless persecution of the early church. Fortunately, the later years of Paul’s life show a marked difference as he lived his life for Christ and for the advancement of His kingdom.

Paul was actually born as Saul. He was born in Tarsus in Cilicia around AD 1–5 in a province in the southeastern corner of modern-day Tersous, Turkey. He was of Benjamite lineage and Hebrew ancestry (Philippians 3:5–6). His parents were Pharisees—fervent Jewish nationalists who adhered strictly to the Law of Moses—who sought to protect their children from “contamination” from the Gentiles. Anything Greek would have been despised in Saul’s household, yet he could speak Greek and passable Latin. His household would have spoken Aramaic, a derivative of Hebrew, which was the official language of Judea. Saul’s family were Roman citizens but viewed Jerusalem as a truly sacred and holy city (Acts 22:22-29).

At age thirteen Saul was sent to Judea to learn from a rabbi named Gamaliel, under whom Saul mastered Jewish history, the Psalms, and the works of the prophets. His education would continue for five or six years as Saul learned such things as dissecting Scripture (Acts 22:3). It was during this time that he developed a question-and-answer style of teaching known in ancient times as “diatribe.” This method of articulation helped rabbis debate the finer points of Jewish law to either defend or prosecute those who broke the law. Saul went on to become a lawyer, and all signs pointed to his becoming a member of the Sanhedrin, the Jewish Supreme Court of 71 men who ruled over Jewish life and religion. Saul was zealous for his faith, and this faith did not allow for compromise. It is this zeal that led Saul down the path of religious extremism.

In Acts 5:27–42, Peter delivered his defense of the gospel and of Jesus in front of the Sanhedrin, which Saul would have heard. Gamaliel was also present and delivered a message to calm the council and prevent them from stoning Peter. Saul might also have been present at the trial of Stephen. He was present for his stoning and death; he held the garments of those who did the stoning (Acts 7:58). After Stephen’s death, "a great persecution broke out against the church in Jerusalem" (Acts 8:1). Saul became determined to eradicate Christians, ruthless in his pursuit as he believed he was acting in the name of God. Arguably, there is no one more frightening or more vicious than a religious terrorist, especially when he believes he is doing the will of the Lord by killing innocent people. This is exactly what Saul of Tarsus was: a religious terrorist. Acts 8:3 states, “He began ravaging the church, entering house after house, and dragging off men and women, he would put them in prison.”

The pivotal passage in Paul’s story is Acts 9:1–22, which recounts Paul’s meeting with Jesus Christ on the road from Jerusalem to Damascus, a journey of about 150 miles. Saul was angered by what he had seen and filled with murderous rage against the Christians. Before departing on his journey, he had asked the high priest for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, asking for permission to bring any Christians (followers of “the Way,” as they were known) back to Jerusalem to imprison them. On the road Saul was caught in a bright light from heaven that caused him to fall face down on the ground. He heard the words, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” He replied, “Who are you Lord?” Jesus answered directly and clearly, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting” (verses 4–5). As an aside, this might not have been Saul’s first encounter with Jesus, as some scholars suggest that young Saul might have known of Jesus and that he might have actually witnessed His death.

JLG

From that moment on, Saul’s life was turned upside down. The light of the Lord blinded him, and as he traveled on he had to rely on his companions. As instructed by Jesus, Saul continued to Damascus to make contact with a man named Ananias, who was hesitant at first to meet Saul because he knew Saul’s reputation as an evil man. But the Lord told Ananias that Saul was a “chosen instrument” to carry His name before the Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel (Acts 9:15) and would suffer for doing so (Acts 9:16). Ananias followed the Lord’s instructions and found Saul, on whom he laid hands, and told him of his vision of Jesus Christ. Through prayer, Saul received the Holy Spirit (Acts 9:17), regained his sight, and was baptized (Acts 9:18). Saul immediately went into the synagogues and proclaimed Jesus as the Son of God (Acts 9:20). The people were amazed and skeptical, as Saul’s reputation was well known. The Jews thought he had come to take away the Christians (Acts 9:21), but he had in fact joined them. Saul’s boldness increased as the Jews living in Damascus were confounded by Saul’s arguments proving that Jesus was the Christ (Acts 9:22).

Saul spent time in Arabia, Damascus, Jerusalem, Syria, and his native Cilicia, and Barnabas enlisted his help to teach those in the church in Antioch (Acts 11:25). Interestingly, the Christians driven out of Judea by the persecution that arose after Stephen’s death founded this multiracial church (Acts 11:19–21).

Saul took his first of three missionary journeys in the late AD 40s. As he spent more time in Gentile areas, Saul began to go by his Roman name Paul (Acts 13:9). Paul wrote many of the New Testament books. Most theologians are in agreement that he wrote Romans, 1 and 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Philippians, 1 and 2 Thessalonians, Philemon, Ephesians, Colossians, 1 and 2 Timothy, and Titus. These thirteen “letters” (epistles) make up the “Pauline Authorship” and are the primary source of his theology. As previously noted, the book of Acts gives us a historical look at Paul’s life and times. The apostle Paul spent his life proclaiming the risen Christ Jesus throughout the Roman world, often at great personal peril (2 Corinthians 11:24–27). It is assumed that Paul died a martyr’s death in the mid-to-late AD 60s in Rome.

So, what can we learn from the life of the apostle Paul? First, we learn that God can save anyone. The remarkable story of Paul repeats itself every day as sinful, broken people all over the world are transformed by God’s saving grace in Jesus Christ. Some of these people have done despicable things to other human beings, while some just try to live a moral life thinking that God will smile upon them on the day of judgment. When we read the story of Paul, we are amazed that God would allow into heaven a religious extremist who murdered innocent women and children. Today, we might see terrorists or other criminals as unworthy of redemption because their crimes against humanity are just too great. The story of Paul is a story that can be told today—he isn’t worthy in our eyes of a second chance, yet God granted him mercy. The truth is that every person matters to God, from the “good, decent,” average person to the “wicked, evil,” degenerate one. Only God can save a soul from hell.

Second, we learn from the life of Paul that anyone can be a humble, powerful witness for Jesus Christ. Arguably, no other human figure in the Bible demonstrated more humility while sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ as Paul. Acts 20:19 tells us that he “served the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials that happened to [him] through the plots of the Jews.” In Acts 28:31, Paul shares the good news of Jesus Christ: “Boldly and without hindrance he preached the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ.” Paul was not afraid to tell others what the Lord had done for him. Paul spent all his days, from conversion to martyrdom, working tirelessly for the kingdom of God.

Finally, we learn that anyone can surrender completely to God. Paul was fully committed to God. In Philippians 1:12–14, Paul wrote from prison, “I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel, so that it has become known throughout the whole imperial guard and to all the rest that my imprisonment is for Christ. And most of the brothers, having become confident in the Lord by my imprisonment, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.” Despite his circumstances, Paul praised God and continually shared the good news (see also Acts 16:22–25 and Philippians 4:11–13). Through his hardships and suffering, Paul knew the outcome of a life well lived for Christ. He had surrendered his life fully, trusting God for everything. He wrote, “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21). Can we make the same claim?

Remember:

• If you think like today’s people, you will never understand the Bible!
  • They used to write differently!
  • They used to speak differently!
  • They used to think differently!
  • They used to act differently!