• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Looking for Paul

JLG

146)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

1 Corinthians Chapter 1

- For Christ sent me, not to baptize, but to declare the good news; and not with wisdom of speech, so that the torture stake of the Christ should not be made useless.

- Paul had a mission: to declare the good news! - He had no wisdom of speech! - But he was a hard worker! - And it is incredible how regularity can be efficient! - He was always eager to speak about God and Jesus! - He was always concentrating on his mission! - His mind and heart were filled with it! - He was eating and drinking and breathing God and Jesus!

JLG

147)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?
Galatians Chapter 1

- Is it, in fact, men I am now trying to persuade or God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still pleasing men, I would not be Christ’s slave. For I want you to know, brothers, that the good news I declared to you is not of human origin; for neither did I receive it from man, nor was I taught it, but it was through a revelation by Jesus Christ.

- Paul was Christ’s slave meaning he was working for him 24 hours a day! - And he received the good news from Jesus! - And Jesus chose him especially for this mission! - And he would travel constantly in many cities! - But not only that, he would also write letters to encourage the disciples! - Thus he used all the possible ways of the time to reach and encourage people! - What would he do today?

JLG

148)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Ephesians Chapter 2

- Furthermore, God made you alive, though you were dead in your trespasses and sins, in which you at one time walked according to the system of things of this world, according to the ruler of the authority of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience.

- Being dead and becoming alive! - In fact, looking for this world leads to nowhere! - When we listen to politicians, they have no hope to offer, just empty promises! - And empty talks! - They are just interested in money! - But this commercial world is in a perpetual tornado which is growing and growing! - And there is no way to escape except when God destroys it completely! - So men will completely forget it! - It will become a thing of the past! - No more violence and war and destruction and disease and emptiness and pollution and fear and…!

JLG

149)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Philippians Chapter 1 - For God is my witness of how I am longing for all of you with such tender affection as Christ Jesus has. And this is what I continue praying, that your love may abound still more and more with accurate knowledge and full discernment; that you may make sure of the more important things, so that you may be flawless and not stumbling others up to the day of Christ; and that you may be filled with righteous fruit, which is through Jesus Christ, to God’s glory and praise.

- Paul is encouraging the disciples to abound with accurate knowledge! - And full discernment! - To be flawless! - And not stumbling others up! - And filled with righteous fruit! - Accurate knowledge means looking for knowledge! - There is no limit to knowledge! - It is a race without end! - We can’t stop! - The more you know the more you want to know! - It is a magnet attracting us! - And we need discernment! - We need to open our eyes and see! - Many people live in the city and they don’t see nature anymore! - We need to see again and smell and hear and touch and taste! - And produce fruit! - Remember what Jesus did with the fig tree which didn’t have fruit!

JLG

150)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Colossians Chapter 1

- He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created through him and for him.

- Jesus is the image of the invisible God! - He is the firstborn of all creation which makes him exceptional! - He participated in the creation of everything! - And the last sentence is interesting! - All other things have been created through him and for him! - So Jesus has an essential part in God’s plan! - Do you have images coming back in mind?

JLG

151)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Thessalonians Chapter 1
- The fact is, not only has the word of God sounded out from you in Macedonia and Achaia but your faith in God has spread abroad in every place, so that we do not need to say anything. For they themselves keep reporting about our first contact with you and how you turned to God from your idols to slave for a living and true God, and to wait for his Son from the heavens, whom he raised up from the dead, namely, Jesus, who rescues us from the wrath that is coming.
- The disciples did a good job because God’s word spread a lot according to what Paul says! - He also tells about how they left their idols and looked for a living and true God! - Living is interesting! - It sounds like living faith! - And living knowledge! - Something it is necessary to develop and increase constantly and regularly and daily!

JLG

152)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

1 Timothy Chapter 1
- They want to be teachers of law, but they do not understand either the things they are saying or the things they insist on so strongly.
- To be able to defend our faith we need to know about it! - Making mistakes is not a problem if we keep on increasing our knowledge of God’s word! - We must learn from our mistakes! - We must learn to get deeper and deeper! - But for that, we need to study carefully! - Paul is a good example in this area! - And always try to be humble!

JLG

153)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?
Titus Chapter 1

- For there are many rebellious men, profitless talkers, and deceivers, especially those who adhere to circumcision. It is necessary to shut their mouths, because these very men keep on subverting entire households by teaching things they should not for the sake of dishonest gain.

- As a Christian we can’t be rebellious! - As a Christian we can’t be profitless talkers! - As a Christian we can’t be deceivers! - But according to the Bible, many will be found among Christians! - So it is necessary to be careful! - Because these people turn many people away from God’s word! - And they don’t care about God’s word or the disciples!

JLG

154)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Hebrews Chapter 1

- Also, he says about the angels: “He makes his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.” But about the Son, he says: “God is your throne forever and ever, and the scepter of your Kingdom is the scepter of uprightness. You loved righteousness, and you hated lawlessness. That is why God, your God, anointed you with the oil of exultation more than your companions.”

- Jesus is associated with uprightness! - That’s what we should look for! - And we should learn how to recognize those who are looking for lawlessness! - Otherwise we will get into trouble and may lose eternal life! - Jesus should be our model! - And the apostles too as they had Jesus as a model! - Without forgetting Paul who had a special mission and who showed special talents!

JLG

• Romans Chapter 1

- We must be careful not to become empty-headed in our reasonings!
- We must be careful not to become senseless hearts!

• 1 Corinthians Chapter 1

- We must not declare the good news with wisdom of speech!

• Galatians Chapter 1

- We must not please men but God!
- We must be Christ’s slaves, not man's!

• Ephesians Chapter 1

- We must not walk according to the system of things of this world, according to the ruler of the authority of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience!

• Philippians Chapter 1

- Love!
- Accurate knowledge!
- Full discernment!
- Flawless!
- Filled with righteous fruit!

• Thessalonians Chapter 1

• Paul speaks about the faith of the Thessalonians which has spread abroad in every place!

1 Timothy Chapter 1

- to be teachers of law it is necessary to know about what we talk about!

JLG

- Love!
- Accurate knowledge!
- Full discernment!
- Flawless!
- Filled with righteous fruit!
- Paul tells us that to become Jesus’ slaves it is necessary to produce righteous fruit!
- And for that it is necessary to acquire accurate knowledge and full discernment!
- For that it requires action!
- We can’t let others do the job!
- The apostles were trained by Jesus then on time they would train others and again!

JLG

• Now 3 interesting points:
  • The first one is in Colossians 1:15,16

[The Son]
Ὅς (Hos)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

is
ἐστιν (estin)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

[the] image
εἰκὼν (eikōn)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1504: An image, likeness, bust. From eiko; a likeness, i.e. statue, profile, or representation, resemblance.

of the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

invisible
ἀοράτου (aoratou)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 517: Unseen, invisible. Invisible.

God,
Θεοῦ (Theou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

[the] firstborn
πρωτότοκος (prōtotokos)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4416: First-born, eldest. From protos and the alternate of tikto; first-born.

over all
πάσης (pasēs)
Adjective - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

creation.
κτίσεως (ktiseōs)
Noun - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 2937: From ktizo; original formation.

• Jesus is the image of the invisible God!
  • He is the firstborn over all creation!
  • It should be written “the firstborn of all creation” (genitive)!

JLG

• Colossians 1:16

For
ὅτι (hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

Him
αὐτῷ (autō)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

all things
πάντα (panta)
Adjective - Nominative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

were created,
ἐκτίσθη (ektisthē)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2936: To create, form, shape, make, always of God. Probably akin to ktaomai; to fabricate, i.e. Found.

[things] in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

heaven
οὐρανοῖς (ouranois)
Noun - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3772: Perhaps from the same as oros; the sky; by extension, heaven; by implication, happiness, power, eternity; specially, the Gospel.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction
Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.

on
ἐπὶ (epi)
Preposition
Strong's 1909: On, to, against, on the basis of, at.

earth,
γῆς (gēs)
Strong's 1093: Contracted from a primary word; soil; by extension a region, or the solid part or the whole of the terrene globe.

visible
ὁρατὰ (horata)
Strong's 3707: Visible. From horao; gazed at, i.e. capable of being seen.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

invisible,
ἀόρατα (aorata)
Strong's 517: Unseen, invisible. Invisible.

whether
εἴτε (eite)
Conjunction
Strong's 1535: And if, whether. From ei and te; if too.

thrones
θρόνοι (thronoi)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 2362: From thrao; a stately seat; by implication, power or a potentate.

or
εἴτε (eite)
Conjunction

dominions
κυριότητες (kyriotētes)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 2963: From kurios; mastery, i.e. rulers.

or
εἴτε (eite)
Conjunction

rulers
ἀρχαὶ (archai)
Strong's 746: From archomai; a commencement, or chief.

or
εἴτε (eite)
Conjunction

authorities.
ἐξουσίαι (exousiai)
Strong's 1849: From exesti; privilege, i.e. force, capacity, competency, freedom, or mastery, delegated influence.

All things
πάντα (panta)

were created
ἔκτισται (ektistai)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2936: To create, form, shape, make, always of God. Probably akin to ktaomai; to fabricate, i.e. Found.

through
δι’ (di’)
Preposition
Strong's 1223: A primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through.

Him
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

for
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

Him.
αὐτὸν (auton)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Singular

• Jesus participated in the creation of everything with God!

JLG

• The second point is in Titus 1:10,11

For
γὰρ (gar)
Conjunction
Strong's 1063: For. A primary particle; properly, assigning a reason.

many
πολλοὶ (polloi)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 4183: Much, many; often.

are
Εἰσὶν (Eisin)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

rebellious
ἀνυπότακτοι (anypotaktoi)
Strong's 506: Not subject to rule, unruly. Unsubdued, i.e. Insubordinate.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

full of empty talk
ματαιολόγοι (mataiologoi)
Strong's 3151: A vain, empty talker. From mataios and lego; an idle talker, i.e. A wrangler.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

deception,
φρεναπάται (phrenapatai)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 5423: A deceiver, seducer. From phren and apate; a mind-misleader, i.e. Seducer.

especially
μάλιστα (malista)
Adverb
Strong's 3122: Most of all, especially. Neuter plural of the superlative of an apparently primary adverb mala; most or particularly.

those
οἱ (hoi)
Article - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

of
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

the
τῆς (tēs)
Article - Genitive Feminine Singular

circumcision,
περιτομῆς (peritomēs)
Strong's 4061: Circumcision. From peritemno; circumcision.

• Rebellious men!
  • Full of empty talks and deception!
  • Especially about circumcision!
  • Jesus had warned his disciples before he died!
  • The wolves would come!
  • When the apostles were still alive, corruption was spreading everywhere to turn God's word into man’s tradition!
  • But like in the case of Job, it is a way for Christians to demonstrate their faith!
  • It was so from the beginning of the creation till now!
  • And corruption has spread to such an extent that it requires many efforts to clean God’s word!

JLG

• Titus 1:11

who
οὓς (hous)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Accusative Masculine Plural

must
δεῖ (dei)
Strong's 1163: Third person singular active present of deo; also deon deh-on'; neuter active participle of the same; both used impersonally; it is Necessary.

be silenced.
ἐπιστομίζειν (epistomizein)
Verb - Present Infinitive Active
Strong's 1993: To muzzle, silence, stop the mouth. From epi and stoma; to put something over the mouth, i.e. to silence.

For [the] sake of
χάριν (charin)
Preposition
Strong's 5484: Accusative case of charis as preposition; through favor of, i.e. On account of.

dishonorable
αἰσχροῦ (aischrou)
Adjective - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 150: Base, disgraceful. From the same as aischunomai; shameful, i.e. Base.

gain,
κέρδους (kerdous)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 2771: Gain, advantage, profit. Of uncertain affinity; gain.

[they]
οἵτινες (hoitines)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3748: Whosoever, whichsoever, whatsoever.

undermine
ἀνατρέπουσιν (anatrepousin)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 396: To overturn (lit. or met.), subvert, overthrow, corrupt. From ana and the base of trope; to overturn.

entire
ὅλους (holous)
Adjective - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3650: All, the whole, entire, complete. A primary word; 'whole' or 'all', i.e. Complete, especially as noun or adverb.

households
οἴκους (oikous)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3624: A dwelling; by implication, a family.

[and] teach
διδάσκοντες (didaskontes)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 1321: To teach, direct, admonish. A prolonged form of a primary verb dao; to teach.

things
ἃ (ha)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Plural

they should
δεῖ (dei)
Strong's 1163: Third person singular active present of deo; also deon deh-on'; neuter active participle of the same; both used impersonally; it is Necessary.

not.
μὴ (mē)
Adverb
Strong's 3361: Not, lest. A primary particle of qualified negation; not, lest; also (whereas ou expects an affirmative one) whether.

• But corruption kept spreading to cover everything!
  • The consequences: Many households were undermined!

JLG

• The third point is in Hebrews 1:7-9

Hebrews 1:7

Now
Καὶ (Kai)
Conjunction

about
πρὸς (pros)
Preposition
Strong's 4314: To, towards, with. A strengthened form of pro; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. Toward.

the
τοὺς (tous)
Article - Accusative Masculine Plural

angels
ἀγγέλους (angelous)
Strong's 32: From aggello; a messenger; especially an 'angel'; by implication, a pastor.

He says:
λέγει (legei)
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

“He
Ὁ (Ho)
Article - Nominative Masculine Singular

makes
ποιῶν (poiōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4160: (a) I make, manufacture, construct, (b) I do, act, cause. Apparently a prolonged form of an obsolete primary; to make or do.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

angels
ἀγγέλους (angelous)
Strong's 32: From aggello; a messenger; especially an 'angel'; by implication, a pastor.

winds,
πνεύματα (pneumata)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 4151: Wind, breath, spirit.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

servants
λειτουργοὺς (leitourgous)
Strong's 3011: From a derivative of laos and ergon; a public servant, i.e. A functionary in the Temple or Gospel, or a worshipper or benefactor.

flames
φλόγα (phloga)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 5395: A flame. From a primary phlego; a blaze.

of fire.”
πυρὸς (pyros)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 4442: Fire; the heat of the sun, lightning; fig: strife, trials; the eternal fire. A primary word; 'fire'.

• We are told about the position of the angels!

JLG

Hebrews 1:8

But
δὲ (de)
Conjunction
Strong's 1161: A primary particle; but, and, etc.

about
Πρὸς (Pros)
Preposition
Strong's 4314: To, towards, with. A strengthened form of pro; a preposition of direction; forward to, i.e. Toward.

the
τὸν (ton)
Article - Accusative Masculine Singular

Son [He says]:
Υἱόν (Huion)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.

“Your
σου (sou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 4771: You. The person pronoun of the second person singular; thou.

throne,
θρόνος (thronos)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2362: From thrao; a stately seat; by implication, power or a potentate.

O
ὁ (ho)
Article - Vocative Masculine Singular

God,
Θεὸς (Theos)
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

[endures] forever
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

and ever,
αἰῶνος (aiōnos)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 165: From the same as aei; properly, an age; by extension, perpetuity; by implication, the world; specially a Messianic period.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

justice [is]
εὐθύτητος (euthytētos)
Strong's 2118: Straightness, uprightness. From euthus; rectitude.

the scepter
ῥάβδος (rhabdos)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 4464: A rod, staff, staff of authority, scepter. From the base of rhapizo; a stick or wand.

of
τῆς (tēs)
Article - Genitive Feminine Singular

Your
σου (sou)

kingdom.
βασιλείας (basileias)
Strong's 932: From basileus; properly, royalty, i.e. rule, or a realm.

• We are told about God’s throne and scepter!

JLG

Hebrews 1:9

You have loved
ἠγάπησας (ēgapēsas)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 25: To love, wish well to, take pleasure in, long for; denotes the love of reason, esteem. Perhaps from agan; to love.

righteousness
δικαιοσύνην (dikaiosynēn)
Strong's 1343: From dikaios; equity; specially justification.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

hated
ἐμίσησας (emisēsas)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 3404: To hate, detest, love less, esteem less. From a primary misos; to detest; by extension, to love less.

wickedness;
ἀνομίαν (anomian)
Strong's 458: Lawlessness, iniquity, disobedience, sin. From anomos; illegality, i.e. Violation of law or wickedness.

therefore
διὰ (dia)
Preposition
Strong's 1223: A primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through.

God,
Θεός (Theos)

Your
σου (sou)

God,
Θεός (Theos)

{ has placed } You
σε (se)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 2nd Person Singular

above
παρὰ (para)
Preposition
Strong's 3844: Gen: from; dat: beside, in the presence of; acc: alongside of.

Your
σου (sou)

companions
μετόχους (metochous)
Adjective - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3353: A sharer, partner, associate. From metecho; participant, i.e. a sharer; by implication, an associate.

by anointing [ You ]
ἔχρισέν (echrisen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 5548: Probably akin to chraomai through the idea of contact; to smear or rub with oil, i.e. to consecrate to an office or religious service.

with [the] oil
ἔλαιον (elaion)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 1637: Olive oil, oil. Neuter of the same as elaia; olive oil.

of joy.”
ἀγαλλιάσεως (agalliaseōs)
Strong's 20: Wild joy, ecstatic delight, exultation, exhilaration. From agalliao; exultation; specially, welcome.

• Jesus is the anointed one of God!
  • God put him above the angels, his companions!
  • He won this position because of his actions!
  • He demonstrated his faithfulness to God!
  • He showed us the way!

JLG

155)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

Romans Chapter 1

- Therefore, God, in keeping with the desires of their hearts, gave them up to uncleanness, so that their bodies might be dishonored among them. They exchanged the truth of God for the lie and venerated and rendered sacred service to the creation rather than the Creator, who is praised forever. Amen.

- Man’s word versus God’s word! - Adam chose man’s word instead of God’s word! - And the majority have always done the same! - The majority always looks for the easiest way! - Pure human logic! - And man has always paid the price for it! - But there is a time limit! - It won’t last forever!

JLG

156)
Looking for Paul
Where does it come from?
How does it grow?

1 Corinthians Chapter 1

- For it is written: “I will make the wisdom of the wise men perish, and the intelligence of the intellectuals I will reject.” Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this system of things? Has not God made the wisdom of the world foolish? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not get to know God through its wisdom, God was pleased through the foolishness of what is preached to save those believing.

- Wisdom of men: power, war, violence, destruction, greed, corruption! - God’s wisdom means the total opposite! - It’s a question of time: today we can get the wisdom of men and its consequences! - But we have to wait to see the consequences of God’s wisdom! - And the majority is not ready to wait! - Human logic but no wisdom! - Always short term!