• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Liberalism

Do liberal ideologies mix with Christianity?

• Yes

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 72.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters
Administrator
Staff Member
Is it possible to be a liberal and Christian?

Share your thoughts, comment below. Why is your answer yes/no?

I know I am not an expert in this topic, but I will explain what I felt through my journey from traditional christianity (roman catholic) to being a born again believer.

Roman catholicism felt like rules, rules, rules. It was just tradition and no mercy. While I moved away from it to being born again, I realized what mercy and grace can to do to a christian. I loved the way how Christ died for me, defended helpless people and said "show mercy to those in need". These things didn't have any meaning in roman catholicism, but had so much of meaning in being a born again christian.

I do not know the true meaning of Liberalism, but I believe that Christ was indeed more about forgiving others, and more open to take sinners in and giving freedom. He even asked folks who were about to stone the adultress to look at their sins first. Basically that means, forgive, let go of judgement, do not talk bad about others because u are sinners as well. A more non judgemental son of God.

Active
I would say no. There are reasons for excommunication of those brothers refusing to repent but one can find why there should be a difference to mingling with others in being a witness to not having fellowship with them to run as they do.

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

John 7:7 The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

1 Peter 4:1Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; 2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. 3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: 4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

1 Corinthians 5:9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: 10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. 11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. 12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? 13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

I know Jesus was seen with the drunkards and such but He Himself was never a drunk.

Active
Making compromises with the world, then the world will have trouble seeing the light of Christ we are to bear witness of.

The world is making compromises with sin to call it not sin, thus removing the need for Jesus to deliver them from those sins.

So they will not like it when those who tell the truth about what sin is so that sinners may hear the Good News and have that choice to call on Jesus Christ to save them from those sins and to have eternal life by believing in Him.

Matthew 5:10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. 12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you. 13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. 14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Active
Making compromises with the world, then the world will have trouble seeing the light of Christ we are to bear witness of.

The world is making compromises with sin to call it not sin, thus removing the need for Jesus to deliver them from those sins.

So they will not like it when those who tell the truth about what sin is so that sinners may hear the Good News and have that choice to call on Jesus Christ to save them from those sins and to have eternal life by believing in Him.

Matthew 5:10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. 12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you. 13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. 14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

I do not believe in either Liberalism OR Conservativism, I believe in Jesus. Now I KNOW He did not and does not approve of Ethnic prejudice, Nationalism, Supremacy doctrines, nor does He favor the very wealthy, and clearly does not support intimidating people with guns into obeying their way. I do KNOW from Scripture He offered Himself for ALL EQUALLY and believed whole heartedly in feeding the poor, caring for the fatherless and the widows, healed ALL who came to Him, and believed in housing the homeless and clothing the naked and so on. So as actual people born of His Spirit, who do we support? The Sheep or the Goats (Matthew 25:31-46)? Do you treat and think of the least of these His brethren as He would have treated them? Do YOU live like Jesus and act as He would act? This is the measuring rod. Real faith produces these works.

Active
I do not believe in either Liberalism OR Conservativism, I believe in Jesus. Now I KNOW He did not and does not approve of Ethnic prejudice, Nationalism, Supremacy doctrines, nor does He favor the very wealthy, and clearly does not support intimidating people with guns into obeying their way. I do KNOW from Scripture He offered Himself for ALL EQUALLY and believed whole heartedly in feeding the poor, caring for the fatherless and the widows, healed ALL who came to Him, and believed in housing the homeless and clothing the naked and so on. So as actual people born of His Spirit, who do we support? The Sheep or the Goats (Matthew 25:31-46)? Do you treat and think of the least of these His brethren as He would have treated them? Do YOU live like Jesus and act as He would act? This is the measuring rod. Real faith produces these works.
I do agree since those elected officials on both sides seem to love money more than God and so it is really on the church to take care of the poor and do the very things Christ taught us to do by His grace & by His help.

And liberalism ad conservatism can be corrupted on both sides but I believe the poll was addressing liberalism as making moral compromises with favored social values which my former church did & got corrupted for why I voted against it.

The stance of politics that changes with the wind...is why we should not put confidence nor trust in man nor princes to do the will of God.

Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. 9 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in princes.

Thank you for sharing, brother.

As an outsider, I can see clearly that conservatism and liberalism are being hijacked by political parties with an angle towards christianity for their own political gains. They make money. And those who blindly follow the political parties, they let their thought process seep and corrupt their spiritual identities.

Active
As an outsider, I can see clearly that conservatism and liberalism are being hijacked by political parties with an angle towards christianity for their own political gains. They make money. And those who blindly follow the political parties, they let their thought process seep and corrupt their spiritual identities.

Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. 9 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in princes.

Thank you for sharing, brother.

As an insider, I see both sides of conservatism and liberalism in the media as well as in politics in turning one side against the other in reaching an intolerance level whereby I am seeing the liberal side as being more intolerant and the conservative getting dangerously close to being the same. I see both sides as if working towards destroying America from within so they can bring in NATO and create a police state. They use the democrats as a stick while the republicans appear as the carrot but in truth, I see the Republicans as the carrot in keeping the majority of Americans from losing their cool as if to assure that their representatives are making their voices heard when I do not believe that at all

Did not George Bush JR as President sought to bail out the banks but with accountability and transparency so they do not do that again but it was struck down and yet when Barack Obama was President they passed the bail out without accountability and transparency with no measures to make sure they do not do that again in needing a bail out? And they said no one will be forced out of their homes and yet I have seen in local newspapers of several pages of foreclosures and after that public auctions.

While Republicans scolded Democrats for loading pork in the bills during the pandemic under Biden, the Democrats did the same thing under Trump under the pandemic. Nothing has changed in their attitudes. All self serving politics.

FYI Fox News is run by Democrats and Tucker is a registered Democrat. You would not think so for the way Fox News and Tucker runs, but they are. So it is one reason why I look at this whole liberal vs conservative thing as a means to provoke the moral majority into doing something now that NSA has been exposed as being in charge of population control and the FBI are arresting dissenting parents for not wanting books in schools that teaches kids immorality like one of those required reading is about a boy giving oral sex to an adult and not just kindergarten books to mess with little kids minds about transgenderism as if God made a mistake in creating some people. FBI clamping down on that?

Not sure if the powers that be that put corrupt powers that be in those federal authorities are using this as a ruse to "provoke" those in the military that sworn an oath to uphold the constitution will get fed up with all of this, seeing people fleeing woke filled California to step in and declare martial law; and hence we think we ae getting our own military coming into the communities to restore order but we ae getting NATO instead for why fascist abuse will be coming.

Not sure when the LGBTQ community are going to wise up about LGBTQ, ORG that they are the same as Black Lives Matter, ORG as they do not really care about the LGBTQ but just pushing for social anarchy to bring in that police state and the New World Order. The LGBTQ communities really blew it when they had attacked Scarlett Johansson in social media for taking that role about a transgender mobster in a movie. They lost support and then they had the gall to say they were under attack rather than apologize for the death threats given to her by some members of the LGBTQ community to at least distance themselves from those criminal bullies in that LGBTQ community. Indeed, the FBI should have gone after them and confirm if they really were really LGBTQ or agents of social anarchy. If the latter, put them in jail or be banned to a Communist country of their choice. If the former, take away their access to social media for about ten years.

Anyway, I may be wrong about the collusion between the 2 parties even though seemingly both parties seem to favor the New World Order agenda, but Jesus is Lord and so I agree with what you are seeing as they can try to goad Christians into following those "mentalists" in doing something that Jesus Christ did not teach and paint a black eye on Christians and make them look evil as you say, but they have been doing that with the LGBTQ community for years for why I believe this effort is happening for one prupose only, to divide the American people in not tolerating one another any more.

So prayers for the people of our nation is needed, and even for those in our government because God can turn the hearts & minds of those who rule unjustly in doing what is right & fair for every American that wll not sow discord.

But even if our nation collapse, Christians have a permamant Home above in the kingdom of Heaven thanks to Jesus Christ the Lord.

Active
It is odd that liberalism is doing all the restrictions on speech, on freedom, as well as making rules for others outside their belief but allowing themselves to get away with everything. But November is coming soon and law and order for ALL will be taking them by the throat and bringing a scripture to mind! (Gal 6:7) WHATSOEVER!!!! A PERSON SOWS THAT SHALL THY REEP!!! Does not matter whether a person believes in the Word of God or not, just as whatever goes up must come down, the LAW of SPIRIT supersedes all logic! Personally, I cannot wait!

Active
It is odd that liberalism is doing all the restrictions on speech, on freedom, as well as making rules for others outside their belief but allowing themselves to get away with everything. But November is coming soon and law and order for ALL will be taking them by the throat and bringing a scripture to mind! (Gal 6:7) WHATSOEVER!!!! A PERSON SOWS THAT SHALL THY REEP!!! Does not matter whether a person believes in the Word of God or not, just as whatever goes up must come down, the LAW of SPIRIT supersedes all logic! Personally, I cannot wait!
By His grace & by His help, I am looking for the Bridegroom to come at any moment

Psalm 56:1Be merciful unto me, O God: for man would swallow me up; he fighting daily oppresseth me.
2 Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me, O thou most High.
3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.
4 In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.
5 Every day they wrest my words: all their thoughts are against me for evil.
6 They gather themselves together, they hide themselves, they mark my steps, when they wait for my soul.
7 Shall they escape by iniquity? in thine anger cast down the people, O God.
8 Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?
9 When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me.
10 In God will I praise his word: in the Lord will I praise his word.
11 In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.
12 Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render praises unto thee.
13 For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?

I was raised in a Democratic Christian house. It was strictly Christian, and especially my grandparents, who were military and teachers/principals of a school. They kept the church doctrines such as no smoking, drinking and even dancing was prohibited. They did pass down the scripture to me.

I have a series of verses prepared of how God is a liberal, but this gets confused when it is brought unto mankind. I don't feel like posting any of them, but I have put some on previous threads like this. The total ideaology of the liberal party does not express the whole Christian view. The same can be said about the Conservative party. The Conservative party gets most the credit of being the 'Christian' party nowadays.

I don't think the political affiliation is dependent on one being Christian. All political parties are sinful, and dead center makes the most sense. What I would describe myself as is a Liberal Republican, but not a Libertarian.

In this current world it appears as if the nation is spiralling downward into destruction. Whether you are left or right, I don't think you will escape God's judgement. Yeah, I think you will have to think outside the box.

Loyal
Democratic doesn't always mean liberal, and Republican doesn't always mean conservative.

But as a rule, The Democratic party supports LGBT, abortion, government rule in everything, and legalizing mind altering drugs.
The main agenda these days seems to be confusing children as to what gender/sex they are.
The Republicans have their faults to be sure. But the majority oppose the issues above.

Democratic doesn't always mean liberal, and Republican doesn't always mean conservative.

But as a rule, The Democratic party supports LGBT, abortion, government rule in everything, and legalizing mind altering drugs.
The main agenda these days seems to be confusing children as to what gender/sex they are.
The Republicans have their faults to be sure. But the majority oppose the issues above.

Oh yeah, the gay minority. The truth is they are trying to practically bring back chemical castration for gays by using Puberty Blockers/sex change therapy. The battle is underway in Great Britain actually trying to protect these confused youth who are having their voices smeared. The British government has pointed out that the doctors who are the main source of the information have outright lied about the statistics to their studies. However these studies are still being used.

"The National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE) said existing studies of the drugs were small and "subject to bias and confounding"."

Bias and confounding is way to nice of a way to put it. If you take a day to go over the research papers you will find out the doctors outright lied about reporting their findings.

Active
I was raised in a Democratic Christian house. It was strictly Christian, and especially my grandparents, who were military and teachers/principals of a school. They kept the church doctrines such as no smoking, drinking and even dancing was prohibited. They did pass down the scripture to me.

I have a series of verses prepared of how God is a liberal, but this gets confused when it is brought unto mankind. I don't feel like posting any of them, but I have put some on previous threads like this. The total ideaology of the liberal party does not express the whole Christian view. The same can be said about the Conservative party. The Conservative party gets most the credit of being the 'Christian' party nowadays.

I don't think the political affiliation is dependent on one being Christian. All political parties are sinful, and dead center makes the most sense. What I would describe myself as is a Liberal Republican, but not a Libertarian.

In this current world it appears as if the nation is spiralling downward into destruction. Whether you are left or right, I don't think you will escape God's judgement. Yeah, I think you will have to think outside the box.
And

One thing I have observed is that both parties love money more than God.
Not saying every one of them do, even though it is very possible that they all do in that kind of an environment of that mentality but both parties do seem to love money more than God.

Active
Oh yeah, the gay minority. The truth is they are trying to practically bring back chemical castration for gays by using Puberty Blockers/sex change therapy. The battle is underway in Great Britain actually trying to protect these confused youth who are having their voices smeared. The British government has pointed out that the doctors who are the main source of the information have outright lied about the statistics to their studies. However these studies are still being used.

"The National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE) said existing studies of the drugs were small and "subject to bias and confounding".

[BOLD] Bias and confounding is way to nice of a way to put it. If you take a day to go over the research papers you will find out the doctors outright lied about reporting their findings. [/BOLD]
Smells of New World Order's agenda to reduce the world's population to half a billion with this above as another measure in place as a means to curtail the population growth rate.

What Are The Georgia Guidestones?

Smells of New World Order's agenda to reduce the world's population to half a billion with this above as another measure in place as a means to curtail the population growth rate.

What Are The Georgia Guidestones?

Yeah, and population fear is a conservative thing. I chock this up to the fearful and unbelieving, which is why I refuse to be a conservative (Revelation 21:8). I do not fear it because I meditate on what Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 1:9 that, "There is nothing new under the sun."

8 All things are full of labour; man cannot utter it: the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing.

9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

10 Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

11 There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

Population is not even. Asia makes up for 60% of world population. This is nothing new for the Hans Dynasty which has boasted being 1/4 of the world population since 2 C.E.

After this the findings are something else. I believe the state of the world is by ratio practically the same as the beginning. I am not in fear by any fearmongers who are trying to rile people up because one nation is rising faster than another one nowadays.

"According to the results of the 2015 Revision, the world population reached 7.3 billion as of mid2015
(table 1), implying that the world has added approximately one billion people in the span of the last
twelve years. Sixty per cent of the global population lives in Asia (4.4 billion), 16 per cent in Africa (1.2
billion), 10 per cent in Europe (738 million), 9 per cent in Latin America and the Caribbean (634 million),
and the remaining 5 per cent in Northern America (358 million) and Oceania (39 million). China (1.4
billion) and India (1.3 billion) remain the two largest countries of the world, both with more than 1 billion
people, representing 19 and 18 per cent of the world’s population, respectively"

Active
Yeah, and population fear is a conservative thing. I chock this up to the fearful and unbelieving, which is why I refuse to be a conservative (Revelation 21:8). I do not fear it because I meditate on what Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 1:9 that, "There is nothing new under the sun."

Population is not even. Asia makes up for 60% of world population. This is nothing new for the Hans Dynasty which has boasted being 1/4 of the world population since 2 C.E.

After this the findings are something else. I believe the state of the world is by ratio practically the same as the beginning. I am not in fear by any fearmongers who are trying to rile people up because one nation is rising faster than another one nowadays.

"According to the results of the 2015 Revision, the world population reached 7.3 billion as of mid2015
(table 1), implying that the world has added approximately one billion people in the span of the last
twelve years. Sixty per cent of the global population lives in Asia (4.4 billion), 16 per cent in Africa (1.2
billion), 10 per cent in Europe (738 million), 9 per cent in Latin America and the Caribbean (634 million),
and the remaining 5 per cent in Northern America (358 million) and Oceania (39 million). China (1.4
billion) and India (1.3 billion) remain the two largest countries of the world, both with more than 1 billion
people, representing 19 and 18 per cent of the world’s population, respectively"
Well, we are not to fear anything but since it has been prophesied and the world governments are talking about the New World Order and that bio chip for buying & selling is in use in Europe but it is not the mark of the beast yet because it is not the only means to buy & sell, we should be made aware of the progressive decline of morality in the world in what it is heading towards as the bigotry towards Christians will be apparent after the rapture event.

The whole population limit & global warming agenda is just a covert means for covetousness. The people that will hate Christians are living today as this will not just happen overnight as if after the rapture event. The mask of intolerance towards Christians will come off but it is there.

Liberals tend to seek to follow the ethics and teaching of Jesus Christ. So in their minds they are Christians. Many deny the divinity of Jesus. John 14:28 Jesus says. "The father is greater than I".

In John 10:30 he declares, "I and the Father are one". claiming equality with Jehovah.

I don't think it is our call to say who's a Christian and who isn't.

Active
Liberals tend to seek to follow the ethics and teaching of Jesus Christ. So in their minds they are Christians. Many deny the divinity of Jesus. John 14:28 Jesus says. "The father is greater than I".

In John 10:30 he declares, "I and the Father are one". claiming equality with Jehovah.

I don't think it is our call to say who's a Christian and who isn't.
I agree but it is our call to say when they are not abiding in Him to correct them by the scriptures because they are still His even if they became former believers.

2 Timothy 2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.
19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal
, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

So we are to seek the good of other fellow believers so that they may obtained the eternal glory that comes with our salvation which is to be that vessel unto honor in His House to be received at the rapture event rather than left behind as denied by Him for being in iniquity and thus their spirits will be with the Lord in Heaven awaiting their resurrection after the great tribulation as vessels unto dishonors for He still abides in former believers & unrepentant saints left behind.

2 Timothy 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.
11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:
12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:
13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

Incidentally, Jehovah is the name Jesus went by in the O.T. as the Lord that appeared unto men. Jesus The God That Men Had Seen In The O.T. <--- click on green words which is a link to that threa at Talk Jesus if interested.

"The National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE) said existing studies of the drugs were small and "subject to bias and confounding"."

Bias and confounding is way to nice of a way to put it. If you take a day to go over the research papers you will find out the doctors outright lied about reporting their findings.
If a person is intersexed/intergendered physically or neurologically and they want to change their body to fit their brain so what. Why is it anybody else business other than the patient and the doctor?

With all due respect, the anti-LGBT comments I read come out of ignorance and judgement that should be left to God. Do some research gender anomalies and you will be surprised at how often the occur. Maybe you think people with XYY syndrome or Klienfelter's or XXY or AIS are God's mistakes but if you do you would be wrong. Abnormalities of the sex chromosomes About 1 in 400 male and 1 in 650 female live births demonstrate some form of sex chromosome abnormality, although the symptoms of these conditions are generally much less severe than are those associated with autosomal abnormalities.

What the Bible says about intergendered...
Have you ever seen a brain scan of a heterosexual male or female brain compared with a gay male or female brain or a trans brain? Before you pass judgement, do some research.