• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Knowing Jesus

Staff Member
But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ Philippians 3:7-8

Paul had an exceptional education in two worlds. He was born a Roman citizen, and from reading his epistles, it’s clear that he had a wide knowledge of Greek literature. He quoted Greek writers such as the Cretan poet Epimenides in Titus 1:12 and both Epimenides and the Cilician poet Aratus in Acts 17:28. And in 1 Corinthians 15:33, he quoted from Thais, a popular comedy written by the Greek playwright Menander.

On the other hand, Paul “conformed to the strictest sect of (his) religion, living as a Pharisee” (Acts 26:5). He moved to Jerusalem where, as he said, “I studied under Gamaliel and was thoroughly trained in the law of our ancestors” (Acts 22:3). Even the Roman governor Festus recognized Paul’s great learning (Acts 26:24).

Paul had once been self-assured and cocky because of his vast studies, but when he became a Christian, he “resolved to know nothing…except Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 2:2). He pared his focus way back and concentrated wholly on knowing the Son of God, and “the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God” (Romans 11:33).

Knowledge is good, but don’t forget life’s main focus.