• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Jehovah's Witnesses

Hey Guys !

It is me again. Hope you are all well. I am just wondering if anyone could help me regarding the matter of Jehovah's witnesses. I am only asking this because a few years ago me and my husband got acquiented and became friends with a couple that where believers . They came to the door with a few magazines and were intrested if we would like to read them , and because the husband of this couple was of Irish Nationality. It was really easy and nice for me and my husband to want to get to know them s little more. However the problem is whenever they want to come and visit us, they always want to talk about the bible , and offer to give us small talks about the bible. We can never really understand why they just don't want to come around to see us as friends. It is almost everytime they come the time is spent talking about the bible. I've even told them many times that I'm personally a little uncomfortable with the fact that all they want to do is just read the bible every time they visit, but they never seem to want to give up.

The other thing that really confuses me is that when they start to give us these bible studies, or small talks they very often refer to themselves as being "Christains", and belevers of Christ. Which leads me to ask the following questions are Jehovah Witnesses catergorised as being Christains and also witnesses? What is the diffrence? Why do they reffer to themselves as being both? Can anyone help answer?

Thanks
Francesca

Last edited:
Good morning Francesca :)
This is a nondeminational site as I`m sure you are aware of, and as such to avoid denominational wrangling, all denominational discussions are discouraged.
That being said, your question is a sincere one and let`s just say some religious sects do not approve of fellowship with 'worldly' people, and in your particular case, that is defined as anyone outside of that particular organization. This perhaps will help you to understand why this couple is not comfortable with fellowship which doesnt include thier 'witnessing' to you.

God bless.

Administrator
Staff Member
Please do not bother or deal with JW. They are a cult not a denomination. There are many denominations in Christianity but there are also evil cults such as JW, Mormonism, etc.

I highlighted SOME of the specific obvious non biblical statements they believe in.

Please see this:

What Jehovah's Witnesses Believe

Bible is God's Word and is truth
Bible is more reliable than tradition
God's name is Jehovah
Christ is God's Son and is inferior to Him
Christ was first of God's creations
Christ died on a stake, not a cross
Christ's human life was paid as a ransom for obedient humans
Christ's one sacrifice was sufficient
Christ was raised from the dead as an immortal spirit person
Christ's presence is in spirit
We are now in the 'time of the end'
Kingdom under Christ will rule earth in righteousness and peace
Kingdom will bring ideal living conditions to earth
Earth will never be destroyed or depopulated
God will eliminate present system of things in the battle at Har-Magedon
Wicked will be eternally destroyed
People God approves will receive everlasting life
There is only one road to life
Human death is due to Adam's sin
The human soul ceases to exist at death
Hell is mankind's common grave
Hope for dead is resurrection
Adamic death will cease
Only a little flock of 144,000 go to heaven and rule with Christ
The 144,000 are born again as spiritual sons of God

New covenant is made with spiritual Israel
Christ's congregation is built upon himself
Prayers are to be directed only to Jehovah through Christ
Images should not be used in worship
Spiritism must be shunned
Satan is invisible ruler of world
A Christian ought to have no part in interfaith movements
A Christian should keep separate from world
Obey human laws that do not conflict with God's laws
Taking blood into body through mouth or veins violates God's laws
Bible's laws on morals must be obeyed
Sabbath observance was given only to Israel and ended with Mosaic Law
A clergy class and special titles are improper
Man did not evolve but was created
Christ set example that must be followed in serving God
Baptism by complete immersion symbolizes dedication
Christians gladly give public testimony to Scriptural truth

Please simply go directly to the Holy Bible, it has not "denomination" name written on it. It is direct Word of GOD, not through peoples' rendition of the Word of GOD like JW.

Talk Jesus is non-denominational, but does not welcome cults. If a JW witness came here to seek repentance, amen! If they come to destroy like wolves in sheep clothing - goodbye. I moderate and approve all new Talk Jesus member accounts. I have seen countless "ex-Jehova's Witness" who repented and turned to the REAL Truth.

THINK ABOUT IT!

If you were on the wrong road, would pride or stubbornness prevent you from admitting it?

If you are an active Jehovah’s Witness you have asked that question of others many times, I know I did, but have you ever asked it of yourself?

Have you ever wondered why Jehovah's Witnesses are instructed to ask this question of others but told they must never ask it of themselves?

Have you been disfellowshipped or disassociated? If so, you are not alone!

Do you know a Jehovah's Witness you wish to reach with the gospel of Jesus Christ but don't know what to say to them?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions I think you will find this web site very interesting and beneficial!

http://www.towerwatch.com/index.html

Hey Chad,
I just want to question somehting you said...you said not to bother or deal with JW. I disaggree. I'm not sure if they are Christians or not, or rather I'm not sure whether some of them might be Christians, but I DON'T believe Jesus would have us totally not associate with them. I believe we can't or shouldn't embrace or let cult type beliefs be made okay but Jesus said to love the sinner, hate the sin. We can't let ourselves into a situation we are compromising the truth but I don't believe it's in love if we just shun those others and not deal with them. Jesus embraced the untouchables and people of other beliefs. If bothers me that you say not to associate with them. Please know I mean no disrespect...just trying to find the truth in each and every situation
your sister in Christ,
Gwendolyn

Administrator
Staff Member
Gwen05 said:
Hey Chad,
I DON'T believe Jesus would have us totally not associate with them. I believe we can't or shouldn't embrace or let cult type beliefs be made okay but Jesus said to love the sinner, hate the sin.

That is exactly what I was referring to. I was referring to not be part of the cult itself, not referring to disassociate with them where we should still try to reach out to them of course.

I don't know what it is at the moment, but last week I had a visit from a Jehovah's Witness, since then all three online Christian groups I belong to have had discussions/questions on Jehovah's Witnesses and what they believe. Chad, thanks for posting that list of their beliefs - I knew some of it, but not all of it, and thanks Coconut for the link.
I don't know why this topic won't leave me alone :confused:, maybe so I'm really really prepared next time a JW comes to my door? Last week I was a bit thrown by what they were saying - I just wasn't expecting it.
Anyway, thanks again.
God bless you all,
Janie

hi Janie,
although they may regard themselves as being christian - they are not. They do not believe in the Christ's death on the cross (thus denying the blood and it's power), they also do not believe in the bodily resurrection of Christ. They believe that the Holy Spirit is a force, not part of the Godhead and they also deny the deity of Christ. They regard Jesus as being 'a god' but not Almighty God.
But what is really dangerous about what they believe is that they believe that they are the only ones who are right and the rest of us will not make it to heaven. They appear to know their bibles well but in fact only know certain scriptures and then only in their own translation (which is altered according to their beliefs). They also don't believe that they can read and understand the scriptures for themselves but are told they need their magazines (the watchtower and awake) to help them interpret the bible. Another thing that also makes them stand apart from true believers is that they believe that they have to earn their way to heaven and that there will be only 144,000 people who will enter heaven anyway (so they probably won't make it). They do not believe in the saving grace of God but that they are required to work their way into heaven by door knocking and converting others to their movement.
All you can do is love them and pray that God will reveal His truth to them. But don't be deceived - their doctrine is dangerous and misleads people. It also breaks up families as they do not encourage you to assosiate with family outside the jehovah's witness movement.
Hope this helps. Unfortunately I have a few relatives who are heavily involved in the JW's and consequently there is a a great rift in my dad's family and he hasn't seen or heard from some of them for more than 43 years.
May God reveal to you HIS truth, so that you are set free!
Kind Regards,
Karen.

Hi Karen,
thanks for that. I knew that a lot of their beliefs were way off, but not knowing much about their doctines, didn't realise how far from the truth they are. This has all made me realise how much I love Jesus and how important He is to me, so from that point of view it's done me good - I got quite upset about how the JW who visited was referring to Him. It's got me all fired up to make sure reading the Bible is my priority every day - before I turn on the TV or open any other book, etc etc instead of 'making sure I fit it in' - I don't ever again want to be caught off guard like I was last week. I guess I just needed some shaking up. As you suggested, I will pray for them, and I'll pray for your Dad's family too.
God bless you!
Janie

Thanks Chad,
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding...the way you said it made me think you were saying just basically to shun those people. Thanks for the clarification
--Gwendolyn

from my experience,they are more interested in recruiting members.I had talks with them about jesus,about the holly ghost and all the miracles and everytime they give me an apointment and came with more members .They tried to convert me into their religion.One thing for sure their leaders predicted several times the end of the world and those times had come and gone and they stoped predicting.Jesus never gave us the exact time,but he told us what to expect before the end.
please correct me if i am wrong.

Wow, what a thread!

I have friends that are Jehovah Witnesses. They Love God (Jehovah) and are very dedicated to what they believe. The bottom line is the watchtower has attempted to replace the Holy Spirit as teacher and interpreter of scripture. I think it is very sad too.

I open my home to them. I feel some are truely saved by grace because the word of God is powerful and can penetrate even through the strangest of doctrines and reach the hearts of the individual. Dont try to argue. and Dont debate the doctrines. Focus on the core issue and that is the Holy Spirit... He is the key! Without the Holy Spirit there is no mark of ownership!

As for the diety of Jesus... the New world translation of the Holy Scriptures (NWT) translates John 1:1 "In the begining was the word and the word was "a" god. One little letter. the letter "a" calls into question the divinity Of Jesus. and supports Watchtower doctrine... That letter "a" is techniquely translated properly.. (hold on don't misunderstand me here) It is an article. For example... if you were to translate "come here" it is understood that you mean "you come here" though the "you" is understood it could be translated into another language with or without the "you" .. the passage in John chapter one is like that. the "A" could "techniquely" be a proper translation BUT in that verse that language translation form is used in the NWT but the exact same form is not translated in the numerous other places that it could.. follow me here ok... In the total passage the "understood" article is only tranlated once (to support the false doctrine) but is not in the rest of the passage.

If you have the opputunity to have a civil search for truth with a Jehovah's witness, start by asking them to consider the first of the ten commandments then follow by drawing attention to revelation chapter 5 (use their bible)

In Revelation 5. draw their attention to the single word "and"...
"to the one that sits upon the throne AND to the lamb"....then ask them if the one on the throne (God the Father/ Jehovah) objected. (IE JESUS IS GOD)

Search for Truth, ask the Holy Spirit to help you, He will! Guard your heart and mind. And show Love! KNOW the scriptures yourself and PRAY PRAY PRAY!!

(and if you really want to reach out to them, try not to use the word "cult" they will be offended and you won't get anywhere)

Hope that helps..

Last edited:

xr6

thanks again for the link, I sent it to 3 people tonight. My friends were asking about this organization. Sadly my friends class mates have just started attending classes run by Jehovah witness.

In the 1970's, I studied with the Jehovah's Witness's for over three years.
They almost had me, but I broke loose. This is not easy for me to say, but it
may be why my two sons do not acknowledge, or at least not want to deal with, God to this day. I was extremely confused at that time and dragged them around with me in my searches for answers to my questions about Him. My daughter knows different. I pray every day for my sons to learn about, and feel God's love for them, before it's too late for them and their kids.
It has been a very long time since a Jehovah's Witness has knocked on my door, but it's bound to happen fairly soon. As I would like to see them learn about God and feel His love before it's too late for them also, I would appreciate any words of help that could be given to me as to how I could/should present myself at the door?

Staff Member
Hi there

I saw this at the beginning of the thread.

What Jehovah's Witnesses Believe

Bible is God's Word and is truth
Bible is more reliable than tradition
God's name is Jehovah
Christ is God's Son and is inferior to Him
Christ was first of God's creations
Christ died on a stake, not a cross
Christ's human life was paid as a ransom for obedient humans
Christ's one sacrifice was sufficient
Christ was raised from the dead as an immortal spirit person
Christ's presence is in spirit
We are now in the 'time of the end'
Kingdom under Christ will rule earth in righteousness and peace
Kingdom will bring ideal living conditions to earth
Earth will never be destroyed or depopulated
God will eliminate present system of things in the battle at Har-Magedon
Wicked will be eternally destroyed
People God approves will receive everlasting life
There is only one road to life
Human death is due to Adam's sin
The human soul ceases to exist at death
Hell is mankind's common grave
Hope for dead is resurrection
Adamic death will cease
Only a little flock of 144,000 go to heaven and rule with Christ
The 144,000 are born again as spiritual sons of God
New covenant is made with spiritual Israel
Christ's congregation is built upon himself
Prayers are to be directed only to Jehovah through Christ
Images should not be used in worship
Spiritism must be shunned
Satan is invisible ruler of world
A Christian ought to have no part in interfaith movements
A Christian should keep separate from world
Obey human laws that do not conflict with God's laws
Taking blood into body through mouth or veins violates God's laws
Bible's laws on morals must be obeyed
Sabbath observance was given only to Israel and ended with Mosaic Law
A clergy class and special titles are improper
Man did not evolve but was created
Christ set example that must be followed in serving God
Baptism by complete immersion symbolizes dedication
Christians gladly give public testimony to Scriptural truth

Please simply go directly to the Holy Bible, it has not "denomination" name written on it. It is direct Word of GOD, not through peoples' rendition of the Word of GOD like JW.

I have tried to talk to them in the past but did not get far. They know scriptures from their bible.

Like the above post says to PRAY PRAY PRAY
We need to be filled with the Holy Spirit and allow Him to direct us when sharing Jesus with anyone.

They are misled as they think they have to earn a place in heaven so they go round knocking on doors to talk to people.

God bless :love: :rainbow: :rose:

There is a passage of scripture from Matthew 23 that comes to mind when I consider my experience with the Jehovah's Witnesses.

replacing "scribes and Pharisees" with "the governing body (Watchtower) and the elders and overseers"

Matthew 23..

1 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, 2 saying: "the governing body, overseers, and the elders" sit in Moses' seat. 3 Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do. 4 For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 5 But all their works they do to be seen by men.

. 6 They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, 7 greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, Elder, Elder.. (and to be 'honored' by adjusting the microphone)

13 But woe to you, "the governing body, overseers, and the elders" , hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in. 14 Woe to you, "the governing body, overseers, and the elders", hypocrites! For you devour widows' houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. Therefore you will receive greater condemnation. 15 Woe to you, "the governing body, overseers, and the elders" , hypocrites! For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.

Woe to you, "the governing body, overseers, and the elders"For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone. 24 Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel! 25 Woe to you, "the governing body, overseers, and the elders" , hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence (Beth Sarim!!).26 Blind Overseers!, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also. 27 Woe to you, "the governing body, overseers, and the elders" , hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness. 28 Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

33 Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell? (wether you believe hell exist or not!)

ok, that may seem comical to some but the truth of it is very sad.

"By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

LOVE... The Very heart of the gospel... has been "disfellowshiped"!!

Hello,

You must remember their sole reason for calling is to recruit you and they are always very polite and socialble. I do not agree with their methods although I do not condemn them or their beliefs as each and everyone is free to worship God as their conscience dictates. I dont think its possible to be "just friends" as their's is an introverted community dedicated to their doctrine. I read some of their stuff and a lot is common to all Christian religious groups but some statements and interpretations they hold firm I could never believe in or support.I had a similar "friendly" experience for a while but when I made it clear I would not change from my beliefs they never called again.

Nicholas.

I also have a daughter in law only married to one of my sons now about 6months.

There is a distance between us, and I don't mean miles, a spiritual one.

She doesn't speak of her 'beliefs' to me as she knows I'm a Christian, and I do believe that threatens them.

I will be looking into that site, for tips too. Thank you.