• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

If you are married on earth will you still be married in heaven?

Matt 22 states something about marriage and heaven. I love my wife and pray we be togather until the day Jesus returns. But, the scripture didn't seem clear to me. Will I still be married? Or the subject Jesus mentions about being the Groom and we the bride cancelled out the earthly marriage. What is my brothers and sisters take on this subject.:confused:

Hi Ricky,
I haven't really read about it so I will look into it. But I have to say that I am impressed with all your questions...I look forward to them. :)

ricky954 said:
Matt 22 states something about marriage and heaven. I love my wife and pray we be togather until the day Jesus returns. But, the scripture didn't seem clear to me. Will I still be married? Or the subject Jesus mentions about being the Groom and we the bride cancelled out the earthly marriage. What is my brothers and sisters take on this subject.:confused:
Hi Ricky, when we are in heaven, we are children of one Father. How can sister marry her own brother who are both from the same Father? Pls read Matthew 22:30, Mark 12:25 and Luke 20:34-35. I am married to and love my wife. Marriage is a worldly thing that God permitted for those who are unable to be single and have self control of their sexual desires. Pls read 1 Corinthians 7:1-40. It says in 1 Corinthians 7:8, to the unmarried and the widows I say it is good for them to remain single as I am. In 1 Corinthians 7:9, it says that if one cannot exercise self control than he should marry. Hope this helps. Praise the Lord.

I believe that God made marriage and families on earth so that (hopefully) everyone would have at least someone to love them and look after them.

In heaven everyone will be totally loved by everyone. The measure that you love your wife now, will be the same measure that you will love everyone in heaven, but even more so!

We will not need marriage or families in Heaven because we will be totally and eternally loved by God and our brothers and sisters. Its very hard to imagine...but I'm sure it will be extremely wonderful!

love
evangeline

Last edited:
Loyal

Ok ok I like to go way back and dig up old posts! LOL

I've been married to the woman of my dreams for 41 years and cannot imagine not being married to her. Then one day the Lord reminded me that the marriage vows are a covenant. Unlike covenants made by God though, a marriage covenant is for a certain time limit. Until death do us part. I think though that if you want to spend eternity with your wife of this world you will have to agree on it all over again. So you had better be good so she will want to spend time with you. LOL

yes -but you wont notice it probably

but i dont know, i guess

"oh but what do you mean with that? u stupid silly boy I don't like u at all"

-well i'll tell u what i mean; heaven is probably not an experiencing place, my guess is, - seem likely. "but whyyy?(does it seem likely to you)"
-well ill tell you that too: due to the State of Things.
"buut what does thaat eeven meean?? why u so meaaan - can someone please remove this aggrivating people from me and my dolphin-pink-fluffy-kuddlemonster-buddie-hippegriffle-friends.. pleeaase.. (????????????)" -well i'll tell u: it means we doesnt know **** for reasons. thats why. and so it is.

I am forgiven.

Loyal
yes -but you wont notice it probably

but i dont know, i guess

"oh but what do you mean with that? u stupid silly boy I don't like u at all"

-well i'll tell u what i mean; heaven is probably not an experiencing place, my guess is, - seem likely. "but whyyy?(does it seem likely to you)"
-well ill tell you that too: due to the State of Things.
"buut what does thaat eeven meean?? why u so meaaan - can someone please remove this aggrivating people from me and my dolphin-pink-fluffy-kuddlemonster-buddie-hippegriffle-friends.. pleeaase.. (????????????)" -well i'll tell u: it means we doesnt know **** for reasons. thats why. and so it is.

I am forgiven.

ROFL

Active
Matthew 22:23-33 (KJV)
23 The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him,
24 Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.
25 Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:
26 Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.
27 And last of all the woman died also.
28 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.
29 Jesus answered and said unto them,
Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

33 And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

Someone mentioned the bride & groom of one of Jesus' parables. If those are literal descriptions of us, being Jesus the Groom's wife, then we are farmers, we are most definitely smelly sheep needing to be sheared with bugs swarming in our nostrils, and we are eagles, and at the same time we are a great big ship on the ocean, our Captain....Jesus. There are other thngs we all are right now, if we take the bride of the groom parable as descriptive of our relationship to Jesus.

Being reasonable with just a casual reading of scriptures, it ought to be obvious to most, without reading commentaries, there are many things we are likened to. Certain attributes of children of God can be compared to characteristics of things in nature and of certain classes of people, for instance. Heaven (of the 3rd kind), where God has a golden city, gates made of pearl instead of wood, is at least as beautifully arrayed as an ancient Jewish bride presented to her husband. But God's city is not a woman, is not of feminine gender as we think of that. It's a city four square, 1,500 miles square (half the size of the USA) and high (12 floors making the total of 6 times more area of living space than the USA) are. No bride I've heard of is so big, with golden streets on 12 floors and mansions all over her, with a river of living water flowing from her such anyone would drink of. I know of none having trees of life with leaves that heal the eater of all ailments, guaranteeing eternal life in a celestial body.
We the Church are not a city.
Marriage will be pointless there. We will live in the eternal presence of God instead. He has promised to be our God, not our husband. All will love him. Wives on earth are not commanded to love a husband, but to submit to him. Wives should safely abide with a godly husband who is submitted to God. However, in practice that doesn't always work out. However, our experience in Heaven will always work out gloriously.

Loyal
I love my wife and pray we be togather until the day Jesus returns. But, the scripture didn't seem clear to me. Will I still be married?

No. Read the scripture below.

Matthew 22:23-33 (KJV)
23 The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him,
24 Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.
25 Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother:
26 Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh.
27 And last of all the woman died also.
28 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.
29 Jesus answered and said unto them,
Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

33 And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

Matthew 22:29-32 (NKJV)
29 Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God.
30 For in the resurrection they
neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven.
31 But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God, saying,
32 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living."

Heaven (of the 3rd kind)

When we die in this life, believers go to a temporary Heaven (known as the 3rd Heaven), in this Heaven we will be as the Angels, we will be spiritual beings, Individual spirits.
There is no need for marriage in Heaven. We will be in the Eternal Presence of God.

Imagine from the scripture above, this lady would have seven husbands! Who would she Love? God!

Woman was formed from man as a companion for him, a helper and also so that together man and woman could multiply.

We will however be given new bodies, when the New Heaven and New Earth is formed, when satan has been defeated, we will be on Earth with God forever. The temporary heaven, (3rd Heaven as it is called), prior to being judged for the works we have done for the Lord, will pass away. But, even on the new Earth, with new bodies, there will be no marriage. Our loved ones who are born again will be there, the air will be full of love for one another and for God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Jesus called the temporary Heaven, Paradise!

How much better will be the New Heaven and New Earth and our new resurrected bodies.

Loyal
We are already "married" to the Lord. He that is joined to the Lord is "one spirit"( 1 Cor 6:17), The two shall be made "one". In the Jewish wedding tradition once the "price" has been paid by the Father of the groom the marriage was "legally binding" which means you are married even thought the marriage ceremony has not yet taken place! As proof of this marriage the Holy Spirit was given to us guaranteeing its finality.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

The Greek word for "earnest" is "arrabon" which means " a pledge, something which stands for part of the price and paid beforehand to confirm the transaction." We do not belong to our self's any longer as we have been bought with a price.

1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

The modern day Greek word for "arrabon", is "arrabona" which means, "engagement ring"!!!! The Holy Spirit is our engagement ring from the Lord to us as proof that we belong to him. We are already legally married Him to even though the wedding ceremony has not yet taken place.

Loyal
The Topic of this thread was...
If you are married on earth will you still be married in heaven?

May be it should have been...
If you are married to people on earth, will you still be married to those people in heaven?

ricky954 loves his wife and asks will he still be married to her in Heaven? This is a heart searching question from him and possibly his wife, he was looking for answers.

The second part of ricky954 statement was related to Jesus (the groom) and His Church (born again believers which includes his wife and himself)

His heart searching question is... Will they still be married to each other when they both go to Heaven?

29 Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God.
31 But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God, saying,
32 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living."

Answer: No they won't but they will still love one another.

Even after they receive resurrected bodies and are on the New Earth, they will not be married to each other but will still love one another.

Loyal
No. Read the scripture below.

When we die in this life, believers go to a temporary Heaven (known as the 3rd Heaven), in this Heaven we will be as the Angels, we will be spiritual beings, Individual spirits.
There is no need for marriage in Heaven. We will be in the Eternal Presence of God.

Imagine from the scripture above, this lady would have seven husbands! Who would she Love? God!

Woman was formed from man as a companion for him, a helper and also so that together man and woman could multiply.

We will however be given new bodies, when the New Heaven and New Earth is formed, when satan has been defeated, we will be on Earth with God forever. The temporary heaven, (3rd Heaven as it is called), prior to being judged for the works we have done for the Lord, will pass away. But, even on the new Earth, with new bodies, there will be no marriage. Our loved ones who are born again will be there, the air will be full of love for one another and for God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

How much better will be the New Heaven and New Earth and our new resurrected bodies.

Whoa! Brother Paul, where does the bible say anything about a temporary heaven? I know that the bible says 'To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord' but the third heaven ...This is where God and the holy angels (and creatures) and spirits of just men dwell. It is called “The heaven of heavens,” (Deuteronomy 10:14; 1 Kings 8:27; Psalms 115:16; 148:4). (1Kings 8:27) - “The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you.” (Psalm 2:4) The One enthroned in heaven laughs; The LORD scoffs at them.”

We are agreed though that we will no longer be married in heaven. To my chagrin! Probably a good thing for my wife...lol

Active
We are already "married" to the Lord. He that is joined to the Lord is "one spirit"( 1 Cor 6:17), The two shall be made "one". In the Jewish wedding tradition once the "price" has been paid by the Father of the groom the marriage was "legally binding" which means you are married even thought the marriage ceremony has not yet taken place! As proof of this marriage the Holy Spirit was given to us guaranteeing its finality.

Again, as reported above in red, words of Jesus, 9 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Tradition has it that we are a bride, Jesus our bridegroom. However, Jesus says "no marriage there, but we'll be as the angels there. The scriptures don't link angels to God in marriage. We are Jesus' brethren, his friends too.
So no, none of us married to a wife here will remain married to her or anyone else in Heaven. Singles will enjoy the same relationship with Jesus, joint heirs of salvation no less marvelous than the highest angel, made like Jesus is now.

The Church being a "Bride of Christ" concept has done damage around the world among people finding that concept to be offensive, with males married to a male. It's offensive because that isn't clearly taught in the Bible, and doesn't fit the brother/friend relationship that is taught. It has to be "untaught" so to speak. Jesus compared the Church to a bride & groom in a few ways, but never said we are a bride, nor did any apostle hint at it. The heavenly city "New Jerusalem" is presented like a beautiful bride in Revelation, but is a city, not a being.

Loyal
Again, as reported above in red, words of Jesus, 9 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Tradition has it that we are a bride, Jesus our bridegroom. However, Jesus says "no marriage there, but we'll be as the angels there. The scriptures don't link angels to God in marriage. We are Jesus' brethren, his friends too.
So no, none of us married to a wife here will remain married to her or anyone else in Heaven. Singles will enjoy the same relationship with Jesus, joint heirs of salvation no less marvelous than the highest angel, made like Jesus is now.

The Church being a "Bride of Christ" concept has done damage around the world among people finding that concept to be offensive, with males married to a male. It's offensive because that isn't clearly taught in the Bible, and doesn't fit the brother/friend relationship that is taught. It has to be "untaught" so to speak. Jesus compared the Church to a bride & groom in a few ways, but never said we are a bride, nor did any apostle hint at it. The heavenly city "New Jerusalem" is presented like a beautiful bride in Revelation, but is a city, not a being.

Why would there no marriage in Heaven? Because everyone there is already married!!! Who do you suppose the Church (bride) represents as building together as living stones a habitation for God in the Spirit.

Eph 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
Eph 2:21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
Eph 2:22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Where exactly does God live? What city does he dwell in? Who makes up this city? We are his Church, we are his building and habitation where he has decided to live forever.
Angels do NOT live in God only his Church does!

Jer 33:15 In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land.
Jer 33:16 In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely: and this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The LORD our righteousness.

The name of this city is "Jerusalem", and this city shall be called "the Lord our righteousness"

Psa 48:11 Let Mount Zion be glad! Let the daughters of Judah rejoice because of your judgments!
Psa 48:12 Walk about Zion, go around her, number her towers,
Psa 48:13 consider well her ramparts, go through her citadels, that you may tell the next generation
Psa 48:14 that this is God, our God forever and ever. He will guide us forever.

The reason nothing that is impure shall ever enter this City is because there is no unrighteousness in God. God is this City where we live, as we are one with God, and dwelling inside him.

Psa 122:6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.

Love who? Jerusalem, "the Lord our righiousness"!!!! (Jer 33: 16)

Rev 19:7 Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready;

Who do we think the "lamb" is? Jesus Christ is the lamb of God. Is there a marriage happening here? Who is the Bride?

2Co 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Eph 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Eph 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Loyal

Whoa! Brother Paul, where does the bible say anything about a temporary heaven? I know that the bible says 'To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord' but the third heaven ...This is where God and the holy angels (and creatures) and spirits of just men dwell. It is called “The heaven of heavens,” (Deuteronomy 10:14; 1 Kings 8:27; Psalms 115:16; 148:4). (1Kings 8:27) - “The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you.” (Psalm 2:4) The One enthroned in heaven laughs; The LORD scoffs at them.”

We are agreed though that we will no longer be married in heaven. To my chagrin! Probably a good thing for my wife...lol

Let me re-word the statement of a temporary heaven to... the present heaven (which is a temporary heaven)

The Apostle Paul considered it vital for us to know what happens when we die...

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 (NIV2011)
13 Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope.
14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.
15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.
16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.
18 Therefore encourage one another with these words.

Paul initially speaks of those who have died before speaking of those alive when our Lord Returns.

So the place the born again believers go when they have died , the place of those fallen asleep is Heaven, but it is only temporary.

When a person dies the body goes back to the dust of the earth, from which it was created, but the spirit which belongs to God returns to God. He or she enters into an intermediate state, a transition period between our past life on earth and our future resurrected life on the New Earth. When we say a family member of friend has gone to Heaven, assuming they are born again, we are referring to the present Heaven, the one referred to by Paul. Life in Heaven that we go to when we die is the current Heaven, we are at that time spirits as we have not yet received our resurrected bodies. Hence the term defining this state and this period, intermediate, transition or temporary heaven, it is not our final destination. Don't focus on the terms mentioned describing the situation, focus on scripture and that we are at that stage spirits, in time we will have new, resurrected bodies and this will not be in the same place we go to if we die this side of the Rapture.

Philippians 1:23 (NIV2011)
23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;

Though the place we go, Heaven, will be wonderful, it will also be paradise. Jesus said to the dying thief on the cross next to him, 'today you will be with me in Paradise', but this it is not our final destination. We will in time have resurrected bodies and live on the New Earth, that will be even better. Although we go up to the intermediate, current Heaven, the New earth will come down from Heaven and God will come down and be with to us! Where we will live in the place God planned from the beginning, for all Eternity.

First we must accept what happens to us, as born again believers. When we die our spirits go the Heaven, our bodies go back to the dust of the earth, but we haven't at this stage got our resurrected bodies, so it has to be an intermediate state, until we will get resurrected bodies and live on the new earth. This confirms our final destination is another destination not the first one. Our Eternal location with resurrected bodies will be on the New Earth, God will come down to us on to the new earth, so in effect as we will be with God in this new location, this also has to be Heaven, as we know God lives in Heaven.

There is a lot more to explain and detail on this subject, all will be backed up with scripture, I need to come back to it as I have not got time now, but I wonder, would it may be better in its own thread. Comments welcome, continue as time allows here or start a new thread?

Pulling Out of This Thread (and forum) Now. bye ~ cu (maybe) tale care.

Out. (-except reading any&All replies to This post made within Two days.). :)

bye

Active
Why would there no marriage in Heaven? Because everyone there is already married!!! Who do you suppose the Church (bride) represents as building together as living stones a habitation for God in the Spirit.

Eph 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
Eph 2:21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
Eph 2:22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Where exactly does God live? What city does he dwell in? Who makes up this city? We are his Church, we are his building and habitation where he has decided to live forever.
Angels do NOT live in God only his Church does!

Your head has a body attached. Is your head married to your body? No, as the head is part of the body. Christians are added to the body of Christ that body being the Church (ekklesia: congregation, assembly, or called out individuals) to whom the Holy Spirit is sent. A large remnant of Israel will be added too, having their own privileges at the Second Coming.

Where is it clearly taught a Christian is already married to Jesus? I am currently married to my wife as of 48 years ago. She has preferred to remain married to me. Like a building is properly constructed, so it the Church built upon a solid foundation. Once that concept was established there was no further statement we are the bride of Christ now or later.

I lived in a high rise apartment in NYC a few months for job training, almost a paid vacation compliments of Uncle Sam. It was my first experience of pure luxury,dining requiring suit and tie even for breakfast. It was like a city inside it, a fancy limousine ferrying me back and forth to a federal school. I was not married to it, but simply a resident, qualified by presenting a government credit card. A benefit of being born again in the Spirit is future residency in God's city, far better than that place on earth, which is so beautiful it is likened to a beautiful bride adorned for a husband. That analogy didn't describe us Christians as being a bride, bur part of the body of Church members.

Active
Let me re-word the statement of a temporary heaven to... the present heaven (which is a temporary heaven)

The Apostle Paul considered it vital for us to know what happens when we die........

That's a very good explanation, right on. The city of God will be situated on the new earth with gates in that wonderful wall continually open, yet outside remain the unworthy, forbidden to enter. Future residents there must qualify now in this life. In those thousand years during which Jesus reigns from David's throne, the unsaved survivors of the tribulation will multiply on earth, to be ruled by Christ and us, the object being to eradicate sin. Some resurrected saints might well see their former beloved unsaved spouse excluded from that congregation around Jesus, as by then it will be too late to be redeemed, all Israel enjoying their final redemption once the Gentiles are closed off.

We don't know whether God will kill off all the remaining "dogs" on earth when it is renewed, and heaven is placed on earth. I sense that natural people will always be around, but reminding each other never to sin, easier done with the Devil in the lake that's burning with fire. It's very possible the work Jesus does those thousand years puts mankind back to the original state Adam enjoyed before sinning, which is supposed to be in force now in the children of God.