• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Loyal
The Lord Jesus led me to read Psalm 1 (vv. 1-3 ESV).

When I was a child, I had few people, if any, to encourage me that I could do anything other than maybe sing. I was the middle child of five children in my family. And, I had a father who didn’t think much of my intellectual abilities. He even told me one day, when I was an adult, that he could probably find something to talk with me about, even though “you are not as intelligent as my other children,” he said. I chuckle at that now.

I had little confidence in my scholastic abilities, though early on I seemed to do well in math and English, until English became more about reading and reading comprehension than it was about grammar and spelling. I was a slow reader. In fact, I started my first year of college reading on a 4th grade level. I just didn’t have much confidence that I could learn much at all, and I was especially horrible in social studies and science. So, I wasn’t particularly motivated to excel in school, and so I graduated high school in 1968 with a 1.4/4.0 GPA. After that, I completed 4 years of college in 1972 with a 2.5/4.0 GPA, but I never graduated from college.

Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.​

Fast forward… Now I was 52 years old (in 2002), and I decided to go back to school at our local 2-year technical college. I was not even sure if I could pass the entrance exam, but I did, and with flying colors, at that. That was a God thing, for sure!

So, I began with taking just one class, “Accounting,” to see how I would do. But, with each homework assignment I found that I said to myself, “I can’t do this.” I had convinced myself that I just could not learn. But God said, “Here, I will walk with you, and you’ll do fine.” He is so amazing!

So, I stayed the course, and I got an A in the class, by the grace of God. Then, after 4 years of taking classes at this school, maybe 2 or 3 classes a semester, I ended up with a 4.0/4.0 GPA, all glory to God. I received an Entrepreneur Certificate, just a few classes shy of a 2-year degree. But, that was my goal, so I was good with just that.

Some people encouraged me to continue taking classes in order to get a college degree, but the Lord encouraged me that I wasn’t there to get a college degree, but to learn that I could learn, and it was because he had an assignment for me, which I was to learn about a few years later.

So, what does this have to do with not walking in the counsel of the wicked and delighting myself in the Word of the Lord? I finally stopped listening to my dad who had told me, in essence, that I was incapable of producing anything which he might regard as intelligent, and so he devalued me. I finally listened to the Lord in that respect, and believed that God could do the impossible in my life, and that I could learn. So, why should this matter?

It is because God had a plan for my life of which I wasn’t even aware until two years later, in 2004. And, he needed to convince me that I could learn anything he wanted me to learn if I just trusted in him, and in what he said, and if I relied on his power and strength, and not on my own, which wasn’t much. So, I found my delight in the truths of God’s Word and I no longer accepted the idea that I could not learn things I felt were too hard for me.

He is like a tree
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers.​

At some point in my life, I’m not exactly sure when, the Lord Jesus used the call of Jeremiah to place a similar call on my life. I think this took place in the late 1970s. I make no claims to being a prophet, though, but only that I am the Lord’s servant, and that I am here on this earth to do whatever it is that he has called me to do. I knew then that he was calling me to go to whomever he would send me and to say whatever he commanded me to say, and that I was not to be afraid of them.

I, like Jeremiah, didn’t think I qualified for such a task, not that God was not capable of performing miracles in my life, but that I had so many people throughout my life, beyond just my dad, some of whom were pastors, who only solidified in my mind that I wasn’t worth much, that I had little value, and that what I had to say was not really important, or that I should not speak at all, because I was too young, or because I was a woman, or whatever. So, there were times in my life when I questioned that calling on my life. But, God’s answer back to me was the story of the woman who washed his feet with her tears (Lu. 7:36-48). I, too, was that woman.

So, in order to prepare me for this present calling of God on my life, “for such a time as this,” my Lord took me through many years of adversity, suffering, rejection and persecution, much of it at the hands of those who were supposed to be my spiritual leaders. This was so that, when God said, “Write what I tell you, and place it on the internet,” I obeyed, but not because I thought I could do it. I knew I couldn’t. I still know I can’t in my own strength, wisdom or power, but I can in the power and strength of the Lord, and in his wisdom and understanding.

The reason that I needed to learn that I could learn, though, was that God had planned for me that he was going to teach me so much way beyond my natural ability to learn. Since I accepted this present call on my life in 2004, the Lord has shown me so many amazing things, but not just from his Word. He has opened my eyes to see so much of what is going on in our world at this present time, and how that fits with prophecy of scripture regarding these last days, though I make no claims to perfect understanding. And, this was so that I could be used of God to help open the eyes, not just of the spiritually blind, but of those who had been deceived by master manipulators and clever enchanters who are still leading God’s people astray.

So, if you are where I was, and you are listening to the voices of other people telling you that “you can’t,” and so you convince yourself that God can’t use you in ways you thought not possible, then stop listening to those voices inside your head, and listen to God’s voice speaking his truths into your heart and mind, and then obey him and do what he has called you to do, for his purposes and for his glory, and in his power and strength.

Our God / Chris Tomlin / Jesse Reeves
Jonas Myrin / Matt Redman

Our God is greater; our God is stronger
God You are higher than any other
Our God is Healer, awesome in power
Our God, Our God

And if Our God is for us, then who could ever stop us?
And if our God is with us, then what can stand against?

Saturday, November 18, 2017, 10:47 p.m. – Thank you, Jesus, for placing this song in my mind, and for teaching me what you wanted me to learn this evening through your Word. I thank you, and I praise you!

Active
[for me anyway] unlike Jeremiah, he did not talk about himself endlessly about his accomplishments, no not ever.

"For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth." (2 Corinthians 10:18)

"He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory..(John 7:18)

[again for me anyway] if anything concerning mine own self I would rather deny myself and in the manner of Paul renounce any accomplishment of mine and conclude that "what things were gain (advantage) to me, these I count loss for Christ.

Loyal
[for me anyway] unlike Jeremiah, he did not talk about himself endlessly about his accomplishments, no not ever.

"For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth." (2 Corinthians 10:18)

[again for me anyway] if anything concerning mine own self I would rather deny myself and in the manner of Paul renounce any accomplishment of mine and conclude that "what things were gain (advantage) to me, these I count loss for Christ.

I fear you miss the point of the writing. No way am I commending myself. All that I accomplished, that was for good, was done in the power and strength of God's Spirit within me, and for his purposes, and for his glory and not for my own. The purpose of the writing, which God gave me, and was not of my own doing, was to encourage others who are struggling to believe that God can use them, because of people in their lives who put them down, and told them they were worthless. It is to encourage us to not listen to the counsel of men who tell us the opposite of what God tells us in his Word, and who serve as Satan's voice to us telling us that God can't use us. Instead, we should delight ourselves in the truths of God's Word, which tell us that nothing, according to God's will, is impossible with God. And, when we put our faith and trust in God, and rest in his strength, wisdom and power, he is able to do amazing things in and through our lives, and we are then like that tree planted by the water, that shall not be moved, and which yields its fruit in season.

Loyal

Therefore in Christ Jesus I have found reason for boasting in things pertaining to God. 18 For I will not presume to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me, resulting in the obedience of the Gentiles by word and deed, 19 in the power of signs and wonders, in the power of the Spirit; so that from Jerusalem and round about as far as Illyricum I have fully preached the gospel of Christ. Rom. 15:17-19

Active
Was thinking on this topic today how important it is to be encouraging as opposed to discouraging.

I think for children especially as this sets them up for later in life challenges. But its not too late to be encouraged as an adult.

Whatever happened in the past does not need to determine our future. I heard my pastor encourage us in church yesterday with this scripture...it is written eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things God has prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by His spirit: for the spirit searcheth all things, yea the deep things of God. 1 corinthians 2:91-10

What does this mean, well sometimes perhaps we dont know things and its not cos we are dumb, but God just hasnt revealed them to us yet. But He will, so take heart. Its not by our might but by His spirit. We dont need to wise up necessarily and obtain a doctorate and study for twenty years we just need to know God who can reveal to us what He chooses to reveal..and this is spirit of wisdom, not our own.

This is improtant to understand that in greek times people prided themselves on education and rhetoric and how much knowledge they had, like academics do today boasting how many citations and peer reviews rhey have. But all that doesnt mean a thing to God cos Hes not looking at how many degrees you have and if you are good at passing exams and wonderful at public speaking and can act on the world stage with heaps of people looking at you.

God will equip you with His power to so so much more than you could dream of...its all Him and none of us. We are simply his vessels. If we want to honor Him we just let Him speak through us. God loves us so much and we are precious pearls in his sight, so dont let anyone lie to you and tell you you dont amount to anything. God doesnt think so..He says I know the thoughts I think of you, thoughts not for harm but for good and to give you an expected end.

This is not to say dont study scripture in fact we all ought to be doing this but God can help us understand His word. Reading the bible is not like reading an ordinary book written by man. The holy ghost can lead and guide us through Gods word to us in the Bible. I remember when I received the holy spirit, before this happened I could not make any sense of the Bible. It just made no sense to me, just seemd like an old fashioned book but after receiving everyhting was illuminated, it was amazing. it just seemed God has rewired my brain to understand His Word.

When you ask God for wisdom, He will give it liberally.
Paul would say this to encourage himself...if we dont have encouragers in our life, like Barnabas, or Silas we can say 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.'

BC or before christ, you would never have seen me get up and speak in front of anyone. When we had to do speeches in school I dreaded it. Just didnt like everyone looking at me was really shy to the point of awkwardness. And nobody could hear me anyway cos I had a soft voice. But...Jesus helped me overcome this fear.

Another thing is, do we look at others the way God sees them, are we judging others by what we think they cant do or do we uncover hidden gifts and talents in them that just need encouragement to shine. The way people treat disabled people is often really sad. Many people totally dismiss someone just cos they in a wheelchair or whatever. Well God doesnt see that person as a disabled person as if thats their whole identity. And the things we might think are our weakness, can actually be a virtue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyal
Was thinking on this topic today how important it is to be encouraging as opposed to discouraging.

I think for children especially as this sets them up for later in life challenges. But its not too late to be encouraged as an adult.

Whatever happened in the past does not need to determine our future. I heard my pastor encourage us in church yesterday with this scripture...it is written eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things God has prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by His spirit: for the spirit searcheth all things, yea the deep things of God. 1 corinthians 2:91-10

What does this mean, well sometimes perhaps we dont know things and its not cos we are dumb, but God just hasnt revealed them to us yet. But He will, so take heart. Its not by our might but by His spirit. We dont need to wise up necessarily and obtain a doctorate and study for twenty years we just need to know God who can reveal to us what He chooses to reveal..and this is spirit of wisdom, not our own.

This is improtant to understand that in greek times people prided themselves on education and rhetoric and how much knowledge they had, like academics do today boasting how many citations and peer reviews rhey have. But all that doesnt mean a thing to God cos Hes not looking at how many degrees you have and if you are good at passing exams and wonderful at public speaking and can act on the world stage with heaps of people looking at you.

God will equip you with His power to so so much more than you could dream of...its all Him and none of us. We are simply his vessels. If we want to honor Him we just let Him speak through us. God loves us so much and we are precious pearls in his sight, so dont let anyone lie to you and tell you you dont amount to anything. God doesnt think so..He says I know the thoughts I think of you, thoughts not for harm but for good and to give you an expected end.

This is not to say dont study scripture in fact we all ought to be doing this but God can help us understand His word. Reading the bible is not like reading an ordinary book written by man. The holy ghost can lead and guide us through Gods word to us in the Bible. I remember when I received the holy spirit, before this happened I could not make any sense of the Bible. It just made no sense to me, just seemd like an old fashioned book but after receiving everyhting was illuminated, it was amazing. it just seemed God has rewired my brain to understand His Word.

Amen! Thank you for sharing that, Lanolin. Very wise words.

Loyal
When you ask God for wisdom, He will give it liberally.
Paul would say this to encourage himself...if we dont have encouragers in our life, like Barnabas, or Silas we can say 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.'

BC or before christ, you would never have seen me get up and speak in front of anyone. When we had to do speeches in school I dreaded it. Just didnt like everyone looking at me was really shy to the point of awkwardness. And nobody could hear me anyway cos I had a soft voice. But...Jesus helped me overcome this fear.

Another thing is, do we look at others the way God sees them, are we judging others by what we think they cant do or do we uncover hidden gifts and talents in them that just need encouragement to shine. The way people treat disabled people is often really sad. Many people totally dismiss someone just cos they in a wheelchair or whatever. Well God doesnt see that person as a disabled person as if thats their whole identity. And the things we might think are our weakness, can actually be a virtue.

Agreed! Very wise words, again. Oh, and I have a soft voice, too. So many people have asked me, over my lifetime, to speak up because they can't hear me. It actually takes real physical effort on my part to speak loud enough for a lot of people to hear. I have to really engage my diaphragm.

Loyal
For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. 1 Co. 1:26-31 KJV

Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom; but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, so that no man may boast before God. But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, so that, just as it is written, “Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord.” 1 Co. 1:20-31 NASB

Active
Middle child here Sue, of four. I dont know if middle children just get overlooked but it seems that way, doesnt it?!

Loyal
In the Christian faith... I wonder if sometimes.. "I can't" really means, I don't want to. At least not bad enough to really try.

We say we can do all things through Him who strengthens us. We say if we have enough faith we can move a mountain.
But when it comes to drinking, smoking, pornography, gambling... or whatever that thing is that still has a grip on you...
"I can't do it".

No you certainly can't on your own.
But yet unbelievers... non-Christians are able to stop smoking, quit gambling, and desist from using drugs.
Not easily, granted. Not without help usually (often expen$ive.).

So if those people "can" without Jesus.... why is it that some people "can't" even with Jesus?
It's been my experience, that it's usually because they don't really want to.

Loyal
In the Christian faith... I wonder if sometimes.. "I can't" really means, I don't want to. At least not bad enough to really try.

We say we can do all things through Him who strengthens us. We say if we have enough faith we can move a mountain.
But when it comes to drinking, smoking, pornography, gambling... or whatever that thing is that still has a grip on you...
"I can't do it".

But yet unbelievers... non-Christians are able to stop smoking, quit gambling, and desist from using drugs.

So if those people "can" without Jesus.... why is it that some people "can't" even with Jesus?

Well, that is not the context of this writing, but certainly you make a valid point. There are those who use this as an excuse for continued sin, but here we are talking about lack of confidence to be able to do good things, because we had drilled in us that we can't. And, actually it is good to realize we cant, but that God can, in and through us.

Loyal

"I can't do it".

Thank you for your reply @B-A-C . I appreciate you taking the time to read this and to respond.

Active
Hmm I think with sins, that we need to give up sometimes it can be a matter of I wont rather than I cant.

But with things we need confidence to do rather than let go of or give up, thats a bit different.

Ive never heard for example of anyone genuinely saying 'i cant give up this sin' but you do hear of many people say or admit 'i cant help myself' well true but this is why Jesus sends you a helper. So dont ignore the helper! Recieve the helper. (The holy spirit) . This can apply to anything we need confidence to do.