• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

I can't stop masturbating

Loyal
‘...you just do not have the eyes to see and your conscious have been seared’

That’s a very hurtful thing to say As in my passion to follow Yahweh I do my level best with God’s help to avoid sin and repent of any known sin in my life. Also avoid man-made traditional Isogesis. Desiring to get back to the original understanding of Scripture. If I had a girlfriend (or even a boyfriend!) that I was sleeping with and trying to justify, you would have a good case, because the Bible clearly says that. Whereas there’s nothing on masturbation.

Your response sadly reminds me of when Jesus healed the man with the withered hand on the Sabbath. ‘The scribes and the Pharisees were watching Him closely to see if He healed on the Sabbath, so that they might find reason to accuse Him.’ (Luke 6:6). Even though nowhere in the TaNaK does it say that healing someone on the sabbath is a sin. ‘But they themselves were filled with rage,...’ (Luke 6:11). ‘...conspired against Him, as to how they might destroy Him.’ (Matthew 12:14). ‘...the scribes and the Pharisees began to be very hostile and to question Him closely on many subjects, plotting against Him to catch Him in something He might say.’ (Luke 11:53-54).

Sadly your previous post describing all your credentials for me has a foul stench of prideful arrogance. For me no different for a Pharisee of that day saying something like “I’m of the school of Shami, fourth generation Pharisee, taught from the age of a small child. Who’s this peasant carpenter Yeshua from nowhere-ville Nazareth trying to tell us what the TaNaK says on a matter!”

‘In His teaching He was saying: “Beware of the scribes who like to walk around in long robes, and like respectful greetings in the market places, and chief seats in the synagogues and places of honor at banquets, who devour widows’ houses, and for appearance’s sake offer long prayers; these will receive greater condemnation.”’ (Mark 12:38-40).

‘Thus says the Lord, “Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches.’ (Jer9:23).

‘Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.’ (Matthew 23:12).

‘When pride comes, then comes shame; But with the humble is wisdom.’ (Prov11:2).

‘God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, so that no man may boast before God.’ (1Cor1:27-29).

‘Masturbation is sin! And the Bible express that it is, Implicit and explicitly, some people just do not have ears to hear. "so let him who has ears to hear let him hear'!’

I’m listening Explain to me why you think so? (Without quoting well meaning ignorant Bible commentaries by people who don’t really understand the Hebrew or Greek and are a product of their time. Without quoting gnostic hieratics and other ancient Christians heavily influenced by Greco-Roman-gnostic culture. To avoid repeating myself, read posts #14, #27, #44, #91 and #95 before replying).
Referring to reference of Jesus healing, Jesus in essence did not come to heal, He can to "save' us from the wrath of GOD, The healing was "the signs and wonders" to testify that He came from GOD, so that the world will know that His words are true!!!!! And during His mission on many of times he had compassion and benevolence of grace and mercy during his travels and not in the form of salvation, that on occasions after healing many, he said: "go and sin do more, unless a greaer harm come to thee". In which at this time i will not elaborate concerning on the historical contents in "The OT Writings recorded in The NT "Gospels" leading up to the "death of "The Tester" That activates "The New Covenant". "I gave up commentaries over 30 years ago, they only collect dust in my library.

And we must always remember this, do not count us as a enemy, but, try to view us in light of "Scripture":

"The wounds of a friend are faithful, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful."

Your brother in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Referring to reference of Jesus healing, Jesus in essence did not come to heal, He can to "save' us from the wrath of GOD, The healing was "the signs and wonders" to testify that He came from GOD, so that the world will know that His words are true!!!!! And during His mission on many of times he had compassion and benevolence of grace and mercy during his travels and not in the form of salvation, that on occasions after healing many, he said: "go and sin do more, unless a greaer harm come to thee". In which at this time i will not elaborate concerning on the historical contents in "The OT Writings recorded in The NT "Gospels" leading up to the "death of "The Tester" That activates "The New Covenant". "I gave up commentaries over 30 years ago, they only collect dust in my library.

And we must always remember this, do not count us as a enemy, but, try to view us in light of "Scripture":

"The wounds of a friend are faithful, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful."

Your brother in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Thanks, but what you said has nothing to do with the topic on this thread. What about the answer to my question about your statement?

Loyal
Greetings @Marriage Builder 121

From the beginning I have said and agreed that I do not believe masturbating is a sin, I have also agreed to many other points you have raised and the meanings from the original words from the Greek and Hebrew.

I have spent a lot of time going through your comments but after adding them and seeing the length of the reply I chose to condense it.

During the act of masturbating there are other situations to consider, [the flesh, the flesh mind], [lusting and coveting]

The question is, I believe, how we 'look' and with what 'intent'.

First...
Is it a sin to look at a woman? - No
Is it a sin to look at a woman in a shirt skirt, tight top, etc. One look? - No - Providing it is not with sexual thoughts of intent.
Is it a sin to look at a woman in tight top and lycra bottoms that stick to the skin showing the shape of private parts beneath? One look? No - Providing it is not with sexual thoughts of intent.

It is surely down to the way individuals 'Look' (and think) as much as what they 'see' which may cause them to look again, hence temptation.

Taking from Matthew 5:27-28 (NKJV)
27 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.'
28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Jesus used the word blepō when referring to look in this passage
LOOK
Greek Strong's Number: 991
Greek Word: βλέπω
Transliteration: blepō
Vine's Words: Behold, Beheld, Beware, Heed, Look, Look (to), Regard, See, Seeing

English Words used in KJV:
see 90
take heed 12
behold 10
beware 4
look on 4
look 3
beware of 3
miscellaneous translations 9
[Total Count: 135]

The emphasis on the meaning of the word 'look' translated here in Matt 5:28 is, what we 'see' more than what we look at.
and by what we 'see' come the warning in the verb for see - to look at
a primary verb; to look at (literal or figurative) :- behold, beware, lie, look (on, to), perceive, regard, see, sight, take heed.

Therefore we see a woman, we look, she is pretty, no problem. But if we see a woman, we look, we see the shapes at various places/parts of her body, we have sexual thoughts, sexual thoughts being anything between intercourse, the shape and size of her bits, then we have stepped to far, we are lusting for her body, we are coveting her body, we want her body, even if at this stage it is in the initial thoughts, the thoughts are there. Even statements like 'I wouldn't kick her out of bed' after seeing her carries the lust to want. behold, beware,

Titus 2:11-12 (NKJV)
11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,
12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age,

Romans 7:7 (NKJV)
7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness G1939 epithymia unless the law had said, "You shall not covet." G1939 epithymia

Romans 7:7 (KJV)

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust G1939 epithymia, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. G1939 epithymia

Moving on, I raise the following question, which I also add my thoughts

Is it a sin to masturbate? No (We agree there is nothing in scripture to say it is a sin, but lusts and coveting another are sins)
Is it a sin to masturbate as a single person, and think of another woman? NO - Unless the thoughts are lusting/coveting for her and are sexual thoughts of possessing the others persons body.
Is it a sin to masturbate and have sexual thoughts of the person one is engaged to? Yes, because you are still individual bodies, and you may not get married, you are lusting for her flesh/coveting her body. She is not yours in marriage, you are not hers in marriage.
Is it a sin to masturbate and have sexual thoughts of the person you are married to? No. There could be times when one member of the relationship in marriage, is not able to perform the sexual act, inability to function, disabled, cancer or other illness making it impossible to do so.

By sexual thoughts I am suggesting looking at bodily parts with intent to have intercourse, to lust for the body/flesh, to covet the other body, no matter or little or how complete the thoughts are.

Many times on TV the cameras point towards the crutch of a person, other examples may be a woman's dress may blow up in the street, a mans braces or belt may fail and his clothing fall to the floor, there are many occasions these situations can and do happen, unexpected events, one look in these situations is not a sin, looking a second time is wanting to see more, it is I believe a sin, the devil tempted the person to take a second or more looks.

Gal 5:19-21 ' Now the deeds of the flesh (sarx) are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.'

'Flesh' is the Greek word sarx can refer to good things; such as sexual intercourse as in marriage (Eph 5:31) and Jesus’ sinless body (Jn 1:14; 1 Jn 4:2, 3). As in the previous chapter Genesis God said the human body is ‘very good.’ Sarx is more commonly used for a the negative meaning of; making decisions (actions) according to self i.e. done apart from faith, human nature (with its frailties (physically or morally) and passions):- carnally minded, (sinful human nature)

So ‘Lust of the flesh’ is actively intending to pursue an immoral sexual relationship.

Regarding your last sentence above, I agree except to say, it is an action, whether of sexual thought or actions, in the flesh or the flesh mind, it is a will to pursue, to want, to lust, to covet another person. All which are actions which are against God's will for mankind and are therefore sin.

Greetings @Marriage Builder 121

From the beginning I have said and agreed that I do not believe masturbating is a sin, I have also agreed to many other points you have raised and the meanings from the original words from the Greek and Hebrew.

I have spent a lot of time going through your comments but after adding them and seeing the length of the reply I chose to condense it.

During the act of masturbating there are other situations to consider, [the flesh, the flesh mind], [lusting and coveting]

The question is, I believe, how we 'look' and with what 'intent'.

First...
Is it a sin to look at a woman? - No
Is it a sin to look at a woman in a shirt skirt, tight top, etc. One look? - No - Providing it is not with sexual thoughts of intent.
Is it a sin to look at a woman in tight top and lycra bottoms that stick to the skin showing the shape of private parts beneath? One look? No - Providing it is not with sexual thoughts of intent.

It is surely down to the way individuals 'Look' (and think) as much as what they 'see' which may cause them to look again, hence temptation.

Taking from Matthew 5:27-28 (NKJV)
27 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'You shall not commit adultery.'
28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Jesus used the word blepō when referring to look in this passage
LOOK
Greek Strong's Number: 991
Greek Word: βλέπω
Transliteration: blepō
Vine's Words: Behold, Beheld, Beware, Heed, Look, Look (to), Regard, See, Seeing

English Words used in KJV:
see 90
take heed 12
behold 10
beware 4
look on 4
look 3
beware of 3
miscellaneous translations 9
[Total Count: 135]

The emphasis on the meaning of the word 'look' translated here in Matt 5:28 is, what we 'see' more than what we look at.
and by what we 'see' come the warning in the verb for see - to look at
a primary verb; to look at (literal or figurative) :- behold, beware, lie, look (on, to), perceive, regard, see, sight, take heed.

Therefore we see a woman, we look, she is pretty, no problem. But if we see a woman, we look, we see the shapes at various places/parts of her body, we have sexual thoughts, sexual thoughts being anything between intercourse, the shape and size of her bits, then we have stepped to far, we are lusting for her body, we are coveting her body, we want her body, even if at this stage it is in the initial thoughts, the thoughts are there. Even statements like 'I wouldn't kick her out of bed' after seeing her carries the lust to want. behold, beware,

Titus 2:11-12 (NKJV)
11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,
12 teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age,

Romans 7:7 (NKJV)
7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness G1939 epithymia unless the law had said, "You shall not covet." G1939 epithymia

Romans 7:7 (KJV)

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust G1939 epithymia, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. G1939 epithymia

Moving on, I raise the following question, which I also add my thoughts

Is it a sin to masturbate? No (We agree there is nothing in scripture to say it is a sin, but lusts and coveting another are sins)
Is it a sin to masturbate as a single person, and think of another woman? NO - Unless the thoughts are lusting/coveting for her and are sexual thoughts of possessing the others persons body.
Is it a sin to masturbate and have sexual thoughts of the person one is engaged to? Yes, because you are still individual bodies, and you may not get married, you are lusting for her flesh/coveting her body. She is not yours in marriage, you are not hers in marriage.
Is it a sin to masturbate and have sexual thoughts of the person you are married to? No. There could be times when one member of the relationship in marriage, is not able to perform the sexual act, inability to function, disabled, cancer or other illness making it impossible to do so.

By sexual thoughts I am suggesting looking at bodily parts with intent to have intercourse, to lust for the body/flesh, to covet the other body, no matter or little or how complete the thoughts are.

Many times on TV the cameras point towards the crutch of a person, other examples may be a woman's dress may blow up in the street, a mans braces or belt may fail and his clothing fall to the floor, there are many occasions these situations can and do happen, unexpected events, one look in these situations is not a sin, looking a second time is wanting to see more, it is I believe a sin, the devil tempted the person to take a second or more looks.

Regarding your last sentence above, I agree except to say, it is an action, whether of sexual thought or actions, in the flesh or the flesh mind, it is a will to pursue, to want, to lust, to covet another person. All which are actions which are against God's will for mankind and are therefore sin.

‘the flesh, the flesh mind’ This is an equivocation. The sense in both these are the same thing; referring to the sinful nature; sinful desires we entertain.

‘lusting and coveting’ Both are the same thing because Greek word for both is epithymia. Just translated into two similar English words. Indeed you quoted Romans 7:7 which Paul is explicitly referring to the Greek Septuagint translation of the 10th commandment:

‘You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet (epithymia) your neighbor’s wife or his male servant or his female servant or his ox or his donkey or anything that belongs to your neighbor.’ (Ex20:17).

We don’t generally have servant or donkeys these days. But our modern era a neighbor maybe extremely rich and own the latest Porsche sports car. Which I presume that you (or I) could never afford to buy in a lifetime. It not a sin for you to fantasise about driving one. It’s only sin when you start treating your neighbour negatively because of jealousy and/or actively intend to pursue immoral ways to get hold of what belongs to him.

Remember the Christian Hebrew/Greek scholars I quoted previously:

The 10th commandment ‘covet’ in Hebrew is Chamad which means ‘... “to desire (brings damage upon the thing or person desired) and to try to obtain”...with the result that a legal maxim has become a rule for governing conduct...’ (Loader, William. The Septuagint, Sexuality, and the New Testament: Case Studies on the Impact of the LXX in Philo and the New Testament (Grand Rapids: William B Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2004) p 10 footnotes 7)

‘...the choice is indicative of the focus, which, while including passion, is on the acquisition of property.’ (Loader, William. The Septuagint, Sexuality, and the New Testament: Case Studies on the Impact of the LXX in Philo and the New Testament (Grand Rapids: William B Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2004) p 10)

‘Within the context of the tenth commandment the focus is upon possession of what belongs to another’s household, including a wife. The focus is therefore on the desire to possess, which includes house field, slaves and animals. Attention is being given not primarily to theft not to the act of adultery, but to the response which might lead to both as forms of theft from one’s neighbour.’ (Loader, William. The Septuagint, Sexuality, and the New Testament: Case Studies on the Impact of the LXX in Philo and the New Testament (Grand Rapids: William B Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2004) p 11)

‘The verb [action] epituméo corresponds to a Hebrew word which implies a temptation to acquire ownership...which lends itself to the notion of acquisition of property.’ (Loader, William. The Septuagint, Sexuality, and the New Testament: Case Studies on the Impact of the LXX in Philo and the New Testament (Grand Rapids: William B Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2004) p 10 notes)

Chamand is a ‘...emotion of desiring included the act off taking possession...an emotion and a corresponding action’ [Brevard S. Childs, The Book of Exodus (Westminster John Knox Press, Louisvill, Kentucky, 2004) p426]

The passage is talking about the neighbor’s wife, the same as the content in Matthew 5. Which sets the context to be about adultery in verse 27, not to do with singles. The intention to break the marriage covenant is adultery (v28). If looking causes you to intend to pursue adultery, don’t look! (v29). If touch (‘friendly’ hugs, etc) cause you to intend to pursue adultery, don’t touch! (v30). Divorcing your spouse in order to marry you new lady is adultery too (v31-32). The whole passage (v27-32) is about adultery. Also ‘lust’ in verse 28 is better translated ‘coveting’; as it means a strong intention to obtain what is forbidden.

Remember the Christian Hebrew/Greek scholar I quoted previously:

Matthew 5:27-28: '...doesn't mean just seeing a woman and being attracted to her. That's not the concept here, the concept is where you ACTUALLY TAKE STEPS to try and bring about some kind of improper conduct or improper act.' [Paul, The Law And The Church/ Dr Dwight a Pryor/ Disc 1 - Track 6 - 0 minutes 58 seconds/ www.cfi.org.uk]

‘Is it a sin to look at a woman in a shirt skirt, tight top, etc. One look? - No - Providing it is not with sexual thoughts of intent.’

Agreed that it’s not wrong to look at a woman wearing revealing clothing. ‘One look’ where does the Bible say one look only is okay? Nowhere. It doesn’t matter wether it’s first look, second look...or millionth look. It matters what the intention of the look is, regardless of wether it’s the first look or the millionth. ‘It is surely down to the WAY individuals 'Look' (and think)’. Remember when King David on the roof of his palace saw Bathsheba for the first time? King David decided at that point, he was going to have her regardless of her marital status. That was a direct violation of the tenth commandment, also expressed in Matthew 5. Which led to the breaking of the seventh commandment of not committing adultery. It has nothing to do with a single person thinking about marital sexual intimacy.

‘if we see a woman, we look, we see the shapes at various places/parts of her body, we have sexual thoughts, sexual thoughts being anything between intercourse, the shape and size of her bits, then we have stepped to far, we are lusting for her body, we are coveting her body, we want her body, even if at this stage it is in the initial thoughts, the thoughts are there. Even statements like 'I wouldn't kick her out of bed' after seeing her carries the lust to want. behold, beware.’

If a man is saying or thinking “I wouldn't kick her out of bed” or “I wouldn’t mind getting a leg over her” he is clearly has the intention to pursue fornication/adultery with her given the opportunity. That is coveting.

I don’t see how a sin to visually analyse the shape and size of a person of opposite sex to determine wether they are your type physically or not. It’s what you intend to do about it that matters. If single and such a look causes you to want to get to know her in order to hopefully marry her and then be sexual with her, that’s fine. If a person looks with the intention to pursue sex outside of marriage then the desire to fornicate/ commit adultery is sin (‘Lust of the flesh’) and should desist from such thoughts. While around someone your not married to, if you are imagining having sexual relations with them, it is far too easy for those thoughts to become intentions to pursue an immoral sexual relationship, because they are there to hand, before you. So a person should not imagine such around someone (other than their spouse).

‘Is it a sin to masturbate as a single person, and think of another woman? NO - Unless the thoughts are lusting/coveting for her and are sexual thoughts of possessing the others persons body.
Is it a sin to masturbate and have sexual thoughts of the person one is engaged to? Yes, because you are still individual bodies, and you may not get married, you are lusting for her flesh/coveting her body. She is not yours in marriage, you are not hers in marriage.’

I’m not quite sure what you are trying to say? You seem to be saying that it is okay a single person to masturbate thinking about a woman, unless coveting/lusting? Which I think might agree with you about? What are you defining as the difference between thinking of a woman verses lusting/converting?

Regardless of wether a person is masturbating alone or hanging out with someone they are not married to; if they intending to pursue a immoral act with them physically given the opportunity, then it’s sin.

As I said in post #14 marital sexual relations is a holy act and the Bible says we should think on what is holy, pure, of good report,...

As I see it, there are three acceptable mental options for a single person:

1)) Alone just focusing on enjoying the physical sensations of masturbation (with thanksgiving for giving you this body and it’s pleasurable sensations).

2)) Masturbate alone imaging having committed marital sexual relations with an imaginary imperfect person of the opposite sex (with thanksgiving to God for creating such beauty). By imperfect I mean; less than your physical and personality ideal; because you don’t want unrealistic expectations. Also change the type of imaginary person; because you don’t know what the real person you’re going to end up marrying will be like in reality.

3)) Masturbate alone imaging having committed marital sexual relations with someone of the opposite sex that you could potentially marry (with thanksgiving to God for creating such beauty). However don’t focus on one particular person too much, because that person most likely may never become your spouse (especially if not actually dating that person). Neither do you want such a focus on one person, because it may become an obsession that crosses over into intending to pursue (lust/coveting) actual fornication given the opportunity.

‘I was asleep but my heart was awake....
“My beloved extended his hand through the opening,
And my feelings were aroused for him.
“I arose to open to my beloved;
And my hands dripped with myrrh,
And my fingers with liquid myrrh,
On the handles of the bolt.
“I opened to my beloved,
But my beloved had turned away and had gone!
My heart went out to him as he spoke.
I searched for him but I did not find him;...’ (Song of Solomon 5:2,4-6).

What is the myrrh that her hands are dripping with while dreaming? Who’s ever heard of sleeping with your hands on pots of myrrh? I don’t think so, even less likely for this poor peasant girl who had to work in under the hot sun. To me it’s a metaphor hinting at the topic of this thread.

Loyal
I am assuming by all the research and time you are putting into defending the idea that masturbation is not a sin, that you yourselves masturbate. In this case I believe you are strongly trying to convince yourselfs that your not sinning, if your so convinced, then why do you spend so much of your valuable time doing to research to cover your guilt. Just accept it's a sin and ask for forgiveness. If any of you are married, all I have to say to you is this, A man shouldnt be masturbating in marriage regardless of whether its a sin or not as it can separate him from his wife. Simply ask God for forgiveness and to give you strength

Not at all Joshg21,

Why does a mechanic take a car apart then rebuild it? He does so to find out exactly how it works.

Why do we search the scriptures for the Truth, because that is what God tells us to do. Not only that we love to find out exactly what God says, what Jesus said, so we know we are right with God. If we are not we are sinning.

Now think about yourself, you say you masturbate and cannot stop doing it. We understand why and have discussed things together in detail, now it is easy to say, O well, I do it, I lust for a woman, I think about sex with another when I do this, you say you do it and seek forgiveness, that is brilliant, but doing it again and again and repenting the same confession over and over again is not just repetitive sin, it is seeking repetitive forgiveness, so ask your self, what does God think when you do it them ask forgiveness over and over again.

Shalom

Active
Not at all Joshg21,

Why does a mechanic take a car apart then rebuild it? He does so to find out exactly how it works.

Why do we search the scriptures for the Truth, because that is what God tells us to do. Not only that we love to find out exactly what God says, what Jesus said, so we know we are right with God. If we are not we are sinning.

Now think about yourself, you say you masturbate and cannot stop doing it. We understand why and have discussed things together in detail, now it is easy to say, O well, I do it, I lust for a woman, I think about sex with another when I do this, you say you do it and seek forgiveness, that is brilliant, but doing it again and again and repenting the same confession over and over again is not just repetitive sin, it is seeking repetitive forgiveness, so ask your self, what does God think when you do it them ask forgiveness over and over again.

Shalom
I spent twenty years praying for God to release me from smoking and all of those twenty years I continued to smoke. So it could be said that I sinned repetitively for twenty years. After twenty years I was delivered. We all have weaknesses and that is the reason we come to Jesus. Have you no repetitive sins Brother Paul? :pensive:

Loyal
I spent twenty years praying for God to release me from smoking and all of those twenty years I continued to smoke. So it could be said that I sinned repetitively for twenty years. After twenty years I was delivered. We all have weaknesses and that is the reason we come to Jesus. Have you no repetitive sins Brother Paul? :pensive:

Dear brother,

I don't want this to sound wrong, but no I cannot think of any.

I have never smoked, never taken illegal drugs, never drink alcohol in excess since being saved. I have not committed adultery, in the flesh or by sight since I was saved. In the early days, as a babe in Christ, I was always tempted to 'look', but I learnt not to 'look'. Now we cannot stop something happening in front of us, we cannot stop the seeing things when the tv camera points straight at the crutch. But, I am not the person in charge of the camera, I am not responsible for things other people wear or don't wear, I cannot be responsible for what they flash. I soon learnt, as soon as this happens to look another way. I also taught myself not to look at woman as sex machines, but instead always thing they are someone's loved one.

Trusting in the Lord, relying on His protection, I was changed from a heartless rough to a follower of Jesus immediately, the change was so great in my wife's eyes she would say 'I was not the man she married'. The spiritual battle was immense, frightening, but the good Lord brought us through.

I guess I am blessed brother, but without the Lord I was nothing, I am still nothing. Even to this day I wonder why the Lord saved a wretch like me.

Bless you

Active
Dear brother,

I don't want this to sound wrong, but no I cannot think of any.

I have never smoked, never taken illegal drugs, never drink alcohol in excess since being saved. I have not committed adultery, in the flesh or by sight since I was saved. In the early days, as a babe in Christ, I was always tempted to 'look', but I learnt not to 'look'. Now we cannot stop something happening in front of us, we cannot stop the seeing things when the tv camera points straight at the crutch. But, I am not the person in charge of the camera, I am not responsible for things other people wear or don't wear, I cannot be responsible for what they flash. I soon learnt, as soon as this happens to look another way. I also taught myself not to look at woman as sex machines, but instead always thing they are someone's loved one.

Trusting in the Lord, relying on His protection, I was changed from a heartless rough to a follower of Jesus immediately, the change was so great in my wife's eyes she would say 'I was not the man she married'. The spiritual battle was immense, frightening, but the good Lord brought us through.

I guess I am blessed brother, but without the Lord I was nothing, I am still nothing. Even to this day I wonder why the Lord saved a wretch like me.

Bless you
So Paul, what you are saying is, that when Jesus said, let he who has no sin cast the first stone, you would have been in your right to throw it?

Loyal
So Paul, what you are saying is, that when Jesus said, let he who has no sin cast the first stone, you would have been in your right to throw it?

Not at all Trevor, I cannot believe you thought that, obviously what I said came over wrongly.

We are saved sinners, we will sin again, we all do, we seek forgiveness it is granted. But I cannot thing of sin I do over and over again, a repetitive sin.

I live a quiet life with my wife, we don't go on holidays, we are happy in our own surroundings. Since covid-19 I have not been out of the front door (except to the front door step to clap for NHS on a Thursday night) since the first week in April.

I don't sleep well due to my disability and health issues, so I don't get up early. I spent time in prayer, have breakfast, often late morning. I come on here, read scripture or we potter in the garden. We then have tea, come on here, before I know it is time for bed. I watch very little TV, mainly news, spring watch or nature programs, maybe a gardening program. Some would say what a boring life, with the Lord no way, with my wife never.

Shalom

Last edited:
Active
Not at all Trevor, I cannot believe you thought that, obviously what I said came over wrongly.

We are saved sinners, we will sin again, we all do, we seek forgiveness it is granted. But I cannot thing of sin I do over and over again, a repetitive sin.

I live a quiet life with my wife, we don't go on holidays, we are happy in our own surroundings. Since covid-19 I have not been out of the front door (except to the front door step to clap for NHS on a Thursday night) since the first week in April.

I don't sleep well due to my disability and health issues, so I don't get up early. I spent time in prayer, have breakfast, often late morning. I come on here, read scripture or we potter in the garden. We then have tea, come on here, before I know it is time for bed. I watch very little TV, mainly news, spring watch or nature programs, maybe a gardening program. Some would say what a boring life, with the Lord no way, with my wife never.

Shalom

Shalom
I don't believe that you see yourself in a sinless way Paul, I see you as a Godly man, but as you say it came over wrong and I couldn't resist teasing you. It seems we have similar life styles, I am less than two years off eighty and also have health issues that cause me to wake up in the night. Helen and I pray together daily but you and I differ in our interests. Mine is music and writing and I enjoy western movies and country music and sharing faith on Talk Jesus. bless you

Loyal
I don't believe that you see yourself in a sinless way Paul, I see you as a Godly man, but as you say it came over wrong and I couldn't resist teasing you. It seems we have similar life styles, I am less than two years off eighty and also have health issues that cause me to wake up in the night. Helen and I pray together daily but you and I differ in our interests. Mine is music and writing and I enjoy western movies and country music and sharing faith on Talk Jesus. bless you

Bless you brother.

I am teased, squeezed, shaken but not stirred my friend.

I am 72 this year Trevor, never thought I would see anywhere near this age, thanks be to God. We still have a job to do my friend, thanks be to God again brother.

Peoples interests do vary, some due to experience, some due to lifestyle I guess. I would love to enjoy music more but I just cannot hear it right. A person with good hearing or a little loss can get by and don't realise how music and sound is presented. Tv programs, films, music with sound, the sound is always higher to create atmosphere, but for someone considerably deaf the music drowns out the words. I find it so frustrating so I just switch off, I just walk away into my own, God created world. God hears me that is what really matters to me, he knows what I am going to say it before I do, I am glad my wife doesn't have that ability. :joy:

We are so blessed in this day and age brother, there is so much we can do that in the past wasn't possible. emails, text message and internet, especially this forum, I don't have issues hearing, so speak up next time and we will get on fine. LOL

Bless you my friend, you and your lovely wife.

Shalom

I love western movies, I grew up watching old shows and movies ranging firm 1920-1980, we never had the in my house so we had a huge collection of old DVDs, funny story, one time I walked into a barnes n noble ( I was looking for a new season of gunsmoke that had just released on DVD,) and the guy got completely confused .

I grew up on a farm way out on a prarrie so we didn't have internet, me and my three brothers climbed trees for fun and build bows and arrows.

I'm just gonna throw it out there, I can't stop masturbating, I've tried everything. I've promised God, I've promised I would stop doing certain things I enjoy if I masturbate again. I've also met Christians who say that its ok and everyone does it, but, I feel very guilty every time, to me, this means that The Holy Spirit is trying to tell me that its a sin, I've prayed about it and tried many different things but I just can't shake it.
I'm 17 and I'm, not the wisest person ever so... I could use some help here. if any of you are older Christian guys and have gone through this yourself, let me know what helped you.

Your testosterone level is high. Its normal.

You can Meditate run, lift weights, and allocate your T to your life purpose. Direct it.

I cut out porn. Its done me a lot of good. By not navigating to porn, you will cut back. Also if you lift, you will get deezed and you can make proper use of it like Samson.

So lately I haven't been able to sleep, I wake up in the middle of the night with a strong urge, I toss and turn for an hour and finally I decide to do it, but then I feel guilt come over me and I curl up into a ball and try to go back to sleep, but I can't so I toss and turn some more and by the time I get back to sleep it's morning, any suggestions?

I hate to have to bust your bubble, I don't have to take any more classes in Hebrew or Greek or another class in "Methodology and Hermeneutics" since the late 70's. i got everything on the shelf if i think i need it. and i don't need to buy anything else, for years to come, except some that i have worn out. All my definitions of Biblical words comes from either "ISBE", Vines', Englishmen Greek, Englishmen Hebrew concordance, The Englishmen Greek Concordance, The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon copyright pre 1996 and "Bauer Arndt Gingrich Greek English Lexicon' publication year 1979"
I got Born from above in 1979, I started right out of the heavenly birth canal using "STRONG"S and YOUNG'S Analytical Concordance as well as 1st Publication Of "Zondervan Pictorial Encyclopedia 5 volume work. All these are Hardcopies and well worn. Not only have i study His word, and related words of scripture ,I have indulge myself in fatness! " And have tried my best with the best of my abilities, since 1979 to show myself "approved " unto GOD" and not unto a man. And by the grace of GOD i have not slacken the course, for it is still MY "Chief Joy" for It has always been my prayer every time i pick the book up! "Oh Heavenly Father, may thy blessed Spirit Guide me into thy Truth and righteousness as I read through thy Word, and let it be my Chief Joy"
I'm still "Ploughing", and i hope the word is ploughed with long furrows upon the tables of my mind, that i might draw upon in time of need.

Final Note: A good Translation is good enough. "DO not Grieve the "Holy Spirit" of GOD"! (masturbation grieves the Spirit of God).

You were the one, who addressed the Greek language placement. Far as i am concern, this is ancient material when addressing this text of scripture.

It is called common sense. And I heard somewhere that "common sense is not common anymore".

Shalom.

Masturbation is sin! And the Bible express that it is, Implicit and explicitly, some people just do not have ears to hear. "so let him who has ears to hear let him hear'!

‘Masturbation is sin! And the Bible express that it is, Implicit and explicitly...’ Still waiting for to prove this with the wealth of knowledge you claim to have.

So lately I haven't been able to sleep, I wake up in the middle of the night with a strong urge, I toss and turn for an hour and finally I decide to do it, but then I feel guilt come over me and I curl up into a ball and try to go back to sleep, but I can't so I toss and turn some more and by the time I get back to sleep it's morning, any suggestions?
The buildup of ejaculate in the body due to you testosterone is normal for most guys; it’s how God created you. I can assume when you masturbated you didn’t intend in you heart to pursue immoral sexual relationship with someone in real life given the opportunity? Of course not! The Bible is not shy about calling anything a sin; from the weird (such as bestiality (sex with animals)!) to the trivial (ie not taking a mother bird with the eggs Duet22:6-7). There is nothing in the Bible that calls masturbation a sin (even many I’ve read who condemn masturbation admit this!). The false guilt comes from hearing well meaning Christians who call masturbation a sin due to misinterpretations of Scripture. Causing this false guilt to wrongly become ingrained into your conscience and the devil loves to torment you with this false guilt. You haven’t sinned. God loves you.

I'm just gonna throw it out there, I can't stop masturbating, I've tried everything. I've promised God, I've promised I would stop doing certain things I enjoy if I masturbate again. I've also met Christians who say that its ok and everyone does it, but, I feel very guilty every time, to me, this means that The Holy Spirit is trying to tell me that its a sin, I've prayed about it and tried many different things but I just can't shake it.
I'm 17 and I'm, not the wisest person ever so... I could use some help here. if any of you are older Christian guys and have gone through this yourself, let me know what helped you.
Hey man, Bless I know I'm like 2 years behind on this convo, but I went through the some replies on this thread were good, but others weren't. Before I say Anything just know I've been fighting the same thing you have for awhile I'll tell what God revealed to me. Masturbation is a sin. It gains pleasure from oneself outside the way God intended. The new testamant in alot of paul's letter warns us to flee from all Sexually immorality (1 thessalonians 3:5, Colossians 3:5-10, etc)

Even Jesus Confronted Sexual sin.
John 8:2-12
Now early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people came to Him; and He sat down and taught them. Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, they said to Him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?" This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear. So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first." And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, "Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said to her, "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more."

It's more complicated than a just "Yeah masturbation, then so just stop doing it" Could be any reason why you do it (emotionally, Mental stronghold etc). But Take heart , Jesus Has redeemed us from all sin When Hung on that cross. He knew everytime you sinned, And still laid his life down. Confess if it happens( Gods faithful to forgive you, dont stay condemned) (Get accountability, talk with people you trust, Fast pray worship (the threefold cord the bible calls it). Spend with God, fellowship with other believers and leaders, stay busy. Praying for you man Stay blessed.

Our sex drive isn’t enslavment. It’s a God given desire like hunger for food. Only letting it go in a direction the Bible forbids is wrong or out of control is also wrong.

Did you even bother read all what I wrote about Matthew 5 or did you just baulk as soon as you saw I said masturbation isn’t a sin. Read it, and then if you still disagree show me Biblically where I am wrong, rather than just making unfounded assertions.

1 Cor 6:18 ‘Sexual immortality’ is the Greek word Pornia which means ‘harlotry (including adultery and incest); figuratively, idolatry -- fornication.’ No mention of masturbation, only sexual acts with persons outside of heterosexual marriage. See for yourself:

Show me where the Bible says masturbation is a sin?
I'm sorry But telling this young man masturbation isn't a sin is downright wrong.
Luke 17:1-2 Jesus said to his disciples: “Things that cause people to stumble are bound to come, but woe to anyone through whom they come.
It would be better for them to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around their neck than to cause one of these little ones to stumble.
This you right now, Kinda ironic your name Marriage builder. There's no place in the bible also where it tells not to do drugs like heroin But should you do it? Looking real silly.

Active
@Marriage Builder 121

It would be best to address those scripture that actually does expose masturbation as it is known today but as a work of the flesh known as uncleanness Biblically.

Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Uncleanness as located in between the sex sins of fornication and lasciviousness which lasciviousness is sexual excessiveness, masturbation cannot escape just because uncleanness is called by a different name today.

One can see how masturbation can result from worshiping the creature more than the Creator; hence idolatry which pornography can apply towards.

Romans 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Romans 6:19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

2 Corinthians 12:21 And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

I'm not seeing any exceptions given by Paul in this issue at all where uncleanness or masturbation can be okay since uncleanness is not to be even named among us.

Ephesians 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. 3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

Colossians 3:4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. 5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: 6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

God can deliver us from the temptations to commit uncleanness when we recognize that it is a sin and we need His help.

2 Peter 2
:9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished: 10 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.

Even wetting oneself is a form of uncleanness for why we need His help to cast down wicked imaginations and think on good things.

Jude 1:17 But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ; 18 How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.

19 These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit. 20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

( verses 19 & 20 is not saying one does not have the Holy Ghost but that they are not abiding in Jesus Christ as walking in the Spirit but walking after the flesh )

21 Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

22 And of some have compassion, making a difference: 23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Verses 22 & 23 is the reference for how those that wet themselves should also ask Jesus for deliverance from that sin.

24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Verses 24-25 testifies as to how we are to look to Jesus for mercy in leading us away from temptations & delivering us from the evil one for He alone can save us from our sins & keep us from those sins daily.

Hebrews 12:
1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.... 8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

It doesn't matter if one has a wet dream or purposefully sinned once desire gets a hold and brought it forth, we need to ask Jesus for forgiveness and ask for His help not to do it again by thinking on good things other than that.

James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. 13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. 16 Do not err, my beloved brethren.

1 Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. 13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

1 John 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.