• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Holy Spirit and ability to speak in tongues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve currently been struggling with this concept about the “gift of tongues”. I have not found a place in the Bible that defines the ability to speak in tongues as a gift from God, but it accompanied the outpouring of the Holy Spirit; like in Acts Chapter 2 Verses 1-4.

I could say I’ve been a Christian all my life, being born in such a family and have attended Church since childhood. I have been taught about the importance of receiving the Holy Spirit and that it’s the “Comforter” that Jesus promised in Acts Chapter 1 Verse 8.

I don’t mean to offend anyone because we all call ourselves the children of God, but my question is regarding the Holy Spirit and ability to speak in tongues. It says in Acts Chapter 19 Verses 3-5 that the disciples of John the Baptist believed in Christ Jesus and received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues. And in John Chapter 14 Verse 15 it says “If you love me, keep my commandments”. This picks up the question of how can Pentecostals also receive the Holy Spirit and ability to speak in tongues if they

1. Don’t follow the Sabbath and
  2. Eat pork, which God has prohibited to do
So question is “How can Pentecostals receive the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues when they don’t follow and/or keep Jesus’s commandments”.

I would appreciate some explanation, thanks.

Loyal
The answer to #2 is easier, so I will start with that one.

Acts 10:9; On the next day, as they were on their way and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray.
Acts 10:10; But he became hungry and was desiring to eat; but while they were making preparations, he fell into a trance;
Acts 10:11; and he *saw the sky opened up, and an object like a great sheet coming down, lowered by four corners to the ground,
Acts 10:12; and there were in it all kinds of four-footed animals and crawling creatures of the earth and birds of the air.
Acts 10:13; A voice came to him, "Get up, Peter, kill and eat!"
Acts 10:14; But Peter said, "By no means, Lord, for I have never eaten anything unholy and unclean."
Acts 10:15; Again a voice came to him a second time, "What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy."
Acts 10:16; This happened three times, and immediately the object was taken up into the sky.

The answer to #1 is a bit harder. Did Jesus ever break the Sabbath? Did He sin when He did it?
All of the 10 commandments are repeated in the new testament except one, do you know which one?

Col 2:16; Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day

I knew that verse would be pulled upBut that verse doesn’t mean about an acceptance of consuming unclean meat, it’s about considering the Gentiles as “unfit” of receiving the Holy Spirit.
Later on in Acts 10, Verse 28 he states that “ You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean."
About question 1, Jesus never broke the Sabbath; even though the Pharisees kept pointing out instances where he “did work on the Sabbath”, but he never did break the Sabbath.
Please provide where the 10 Commandments are mentioned in the New Testament and which one isn’t included.

Loyal
I have not found a place in the Bible that defines the ability to speak in tongues as a gift from God, but it accompanied the outpouring of the Holy Spirit;

This actually happens 5 places in the book of acts. Not just Acts 2 and Acts 19.
But first do you consider the Holy Spirit to be God?

Mark 16:17; "These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues;

1Cor 12:1; Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware.

1Cor 12:8; For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit;
1Cor 12:9; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
1Cor 12:10; and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.
1Cor 12:11; But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

1Cor 12:30; All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they?

1Tim 4:14; Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you, which was bestowed on you through prophetic utterance with the laying on of hands by the presbytery.

Loyal
I knew that verse would be pulled upBut that verse doesn’t mean about an acceptance of consuming unclean meat, it’s about considering the Gentiles as “unfit” of receiving the Holy Spirit.

I actually agree with that, but the spiritual significance of scripture never disagrees with the practical/physical application of scripture.
When a physical description is given to illustrate a spiritual truth. The truth also applies to the physical item.

Active
I agree with the scriptures of meat being clean. I am also a Gentile, so am unsure if these apply to me or not, but I do pray in tongues. I know when I pray in tongues I feel empowered not to sin.

Therefore let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also. Otherwise if you bless in the spirit only, how will the one who fills the place of the ungifted say the “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not know what you are saying? For you are giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not edified. I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all; however, in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind so that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.
1 Corinthians 14:13‭-‬19 NASB1995

I think if someone is living in sin, like a drug addict for example, it would be harder for God to use them to benefit the church in that time, but praying in tongues can help someone get to that point, out of sin and benefitting the church, because it edifies one who is a believer.

Loyal
The word is" Language". not gibberish. The Holy Spirit is highly Intelligent. and does not compel a true "child of GOD" to speak in barbaric utterances. And God does not need uncivilized Humanic words spoken to HIM, For communication. Please. Do not be deceived, it only leads to more deception, a little leaven leavens the Whole lump! Learn how to " READ" the Greek text. And the Greek grammar., punctuation "marks"!

in tongues,
γλώσσαις (glōssais)
Noun - Dative Feminine Plural
Strong's Greek 1100: The tongue; by implication, a language.

A lot of Christians need to pray to GOD for HIM to teach them how to READ the Bible with patience and comprehension. And let many know this, if you Never have prayed with diligent for GOD to teach you how to READ HIS Word with patience and biblical comprehension. You skip, "Biblical introduction 101", and you just might have missed the most important introduction to "Biblical studies"! Remember you are not to meet man's approval.

(2 Tim. 2)BSB.
"Remind the believers of these things, charging them before God to avoid quarreling over words, which succeeds only in leading the listeners to ruin. Make every effort to present yourself approved to God, an unashamed workman who accurately handles the word of truth. But avoid irreverent, empty chatter, which will only lead to more ungodliness,…"

(1 Cor. 14.)ESV. [Language, Languages, Languages,] [tongue, tongues, tongues] is the same word. Transliterated: "(Glossais)" in Koine Greek. Dative
Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy. For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation. The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church. Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up.

Now, brothers, if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or teaching? If even lifeless instruments, such as the flute or the harp, do not give distinct notes, how will anyone know what is played? And if the bugle gives an indistinct sound, who will get ready for battle? So with yourselves, if with your tongue you utter speech that is not intelligible, how will anyone know what is said? For you will be speaking into the air. There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning, but if I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be a foreigner to the speaker and the speaker a foreigner to me. So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church.

Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also. Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider say “Amen” to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying? For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up. I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

The Epistles to the church that is in "Corinth", is "Letter" that was written to them to be READ not taught! It is not a text book! It is a letter to the "true Children of God " who live there. and is to be Read! Then to be pass on to other cities where other "true Children of GOD " resides, and to be Read, not taught, READ!

Personally I think , local churches in english speaking countries, need to teach grammar classes, instead of bible classes in Sunday school, and Wednesday night bible classes. And used the bible as a text Book. Like they use too, when they taught people how to read.:eyes: True Churches ought to teach Christians how to READ! And used the Bible as their text book for reading! And give book reports of stories they have read in there using "Exegesis" forms! In Explicit and Implicit expressions, and to be sure that the Bible is their reliable resource and plagiarism is highly frown upon.

"Vines" earlier copyright, will make this even more clearer.

Active
I think if someone is living in sin, like a drug addict for example, it would be harder for God to use them to benefit the church in that time, but praying in tongues can help someone get to that point, out of sin and benefitting the church, because it edifies one who is a believer.
I was a junkie addicted to cigarettes, marijuana and I loved my speed (amphetamines) shooting this up my veins.
The day I received, was baptized in, the Holy Spirit I first received a revelation about the truth of Jesus as the word of God. And that very day I was instantly cleansed and set free from all my addictions without any pain or withdrawal symptoms. In a moment I was made new in body and spirit.
And I share my testimony when I preach the gospel and witness to others about what God can do > Mark 16 is still valid for today.

Mark 1:45 But he [leper] went out, and began to publish it much, and to blaze abroad the matter, insomuch that Jesus could no more openly enter into the city, but was without in desert places: and they came to him from every quarter.
And he [Jesus] did not permit him but said to him, “Go home to your friends and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.”
And he went away and began to proclaim in the Decapolis how much Jesus had done for him, and everyone marvelled. Mark 5:19-20

Active
The word is" Language". not gibberish. The Holy Spirit is highly Intelligent. and does not compel a true "child of GOD" to speak in barbaric utterances. And God does not need uncivilized Humanic words spoken to HIM, For communication. Please. Do not be deceived, it only leads to more deception, a little leaven leavens the Whole lump! Learn how to " READ" the Greek text. And the Greek grammar., punctuation "marks"!
Thumbs_down.png

Active
1. Don’t follow the Sabbath and
Acts 20:7 On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech until midnight.
Christians had already in the first century, the Apostolic Age, changed to meeting and doing communion on Sundays probably in order to breakaway fro the continual problems of Judaism.
Pentecostal Christians have entered God's rest by the power and work of the Holy Spirit - this is the refreshing

Isa 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
Isa 28:12 To whom he said, This is the rest; ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

Hebrews 4:1 Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it.
4:2 For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened.
4:3 For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, “As I swore in my wrath, ‘They shall not enter my rest,’” although his works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4:4 For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works.”
4:5 And again in this passage he said, “They shall not enter my rest.”
4:6 Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience,
4:7 again he appoints a certain day, “Today,” saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.”
4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on.
4:9 So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,
4:10 for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.
4:11 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.

Loyal
1Cor 13:1; If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

Interesting he separates the languages of men, and the language of angels here.

1Cor 14:39; Therefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak in tongues.

Rom 8:26; In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;

The Holy Spirit is highly Intelligent. and does not compel a true "child of GOD" to speak in barbaric utterances.

1Cor 14:11; If then I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be to the one who speaks a barbarian, and the one who speaks will be a barbarian to me.
1Cor 14:12; So also you, since you are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek to abound for the edification of the church.
1Cor 14:13; Therefore let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.

Tongues in a public setting are useless without an interpretation.

However the Bible says we can pray in a tongue we don't understand.

1Cor 14:14; For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
1Cor 14:15; What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.

Active
1Cor 13:1; If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
1Cor 14:39; Therefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak in tongues.
All-good.png

Active

in tongues,
γλώσσαις (glōssais)
Noun - Dative Feminine Plural
Strong's Greek 1100: The tongue; by implication, a language.

A lot of Christians need to pray to GOD for HIM to teach them how to READ the Bible with patience and comprehension. And let many know this, if you Never have prayed with diligent for GOD to teach you how to READ HIS Word with patience and biblical comprehension. You skip, "Biblical introduction 101", and you just might have missed the most important introduction to "Biblical studies"! Remember you are not to meet man's approval.

(2 Tim. 2)BSB.
"Remind the believers of these things, charging them before God to avoid quarreling over words, which succeeds only in leading the listeners to ruin. Make every effort to present yourself approved to God, an unashamed workman who accurately handles the word of truth. But avoid irreverent, empty chatter, which will only lead to more ungodliness,…"

(1 Cor. 14.)ESV. [Language, Languages, Languages,] [tongue, tongues, tongues] is the same word. Transliterated: "(Glossais)" in Koine Greek. Dative
Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy. For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation. The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church. Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up.

Now, brothers, if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or teaching? If even lifeless instruments, such as the flute or the harp, do not give distinct notes, how will anyone know what is played? And if the bugle gives an indistinct sound, who will get ready for battle? So with yourselves, if with your tongue you utter speech that is not intelligible, how will anyone know what is said? For you will be speaking into the air. There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning, but if I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be a foreigner to the speaker and the speaker a foreigner to me. So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church.

Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also. Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider say “Amen” to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying? For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up. I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

The Epistles to the church that is in "Corinth", is "Letter" that was written to them to be READ not taught! It is not a text book! It is a letter to the "true Children of God " who live there. and is to be Read! Then to be pass on to other cities where other "true Children of GOD " resides, and to be Read, not taught, READ!

Personally I think , local churches in english speaking countries, need to teach grammar classes, instead of bible classes in Sunday school, and Wednesday night bible classes. And used the bible as a text Book. Like they use too, when they taught people how to read.:eyes: True Churches ought to teach Christians how to READ! And used the Bible as their text book for reading! And give book reports of stories they have read in there using "Exegesis" forms! In Explicit and Implicit expressions, and to be sure that the Bible is their reliable resource and plagiarism is highly frown upon.

"Vines" earlier copyright, will make this even more clearer.

I was a Baptist when I learned tongues as a prayer language. But after a bit, I was born and raised Baptist, I was afraid it was gibberish, and didn't pray in them for a few years. I always ALWAYS heard them in my head. And then I said, "okay God. You win." And I have prayed in them ever since. My relationship with God has only been strengthened by this "gibberish" as you call it. But it is my conversation with God. It helps me get to the English even, when I am not sure what to say. I feel strengthened and inspired by them.

Paul wrote letters, but he also did travel to these places to preach also. Otherwise he wouldn't know them to write. The Bible is not just a textbook to me. There is history yes, but Jesus teaches faith and I must live by faith and be strengthened by faith. I may not be outright theologian, but I do this:

612083.jpg

Loyal
Sad, sad, sad! as the days go on, the bible is true, a great falling away from the word of truth! The time will come they we not endure sound doctrine. The word of God is referring to the "believers in Christ" not to the unbelievers of the world. But those who claims they know GOD and followers of Jesus Christ, bond slaves, purchase by the blood of Jesus, Who claims HE has become their "Master and LORD" , but do not obey HIM. A lot of them have become a people who encourage those of a reprobate minds. And look harsh on those who "Proclaim" the unadulterated Truth because their minds have been tainted by the "Great Women" who GOD the Father calls out in Truth by her rightfully name, That many are ashamed to honor His WORD but ashamed of the Truth He has spoken. But they Have weaken that Truth, that it has no effect once it enters them and comes out of their mouths. As Ezekiel has so written, and prophesies so well in accord with one of his contemporaries {Jeremiah} as by the penmanship of the scribe or the amanuensis of their time period as recorded, that displays a beautiful "Motif" of the Molten hand of GOD continues down threw centuries as He displays His intentions and His character and Love that He has for His Son Jesus and the Glory that is to come.

Shalom

Active
Sad, sad, sad! as the days go on, the bible is true, a great falling away from the word of truth! The time will come they we not endure sound doctrine.
Yes it is called Cessationism by those who do not have the indwelling Holy Spirit and deny praying in tongues is praying in the Spirit.

1Corinthians 14:26 What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up.
thus we are commanded at our church services to have the gift of tongues followed by the gift of interpretation followed by the gift of prophecy - as a lover of the Word @PloughBoy I would presume your church is obedient to this?
1Co 14:27 If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret.
1Co 14:28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.
1Co 14:29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said.

And here vis-à-vis the operation of the voice gifts of the Holy Spirit God confirms that personal praying in tongues is of the Holy Spirit > the one and only sign given as evidence of the baptism of Spirit promised to believers.
Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying.

Loyal
That is how the world felt about Jesus! Then who am I , a champion! I think not. I am one, that you would not choose on your team! And I am one of the least of my brothern in Christ. and there is only one person willing to die for me! who would die for a worthless worm as I. Thank God for Jesus, because no one else would even let me into their heaven. No not one! Because I am too bad! And I know it! for the bible has declared that the "Gospel according to Jesus Christ" was design for a person just like me! And I am a Big enough of a fool to believe it!

1 Timothy 1:15
This is a trustworthy saying, worthy of full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the worst.:p [and i know it]

Ezekiel 34:16
I will seek that which was lost, and bring again that which was driven away, and will bind up that which was broken, and will strengthen that which was sick: but I will destroy the fat and the strong; I will feed them with judgment.:eyes:

16When the scribes who were Pharisees saw Jesus eating with these people, they asked His disciples, “Why does He eat with tax collectors and sinners?” 17On hearing this, Jesus told them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor,but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

PS. Jesus is always sitting down at my table:laughing:

Loyal
Yes it is called Cessationism by those who do not have the indwelling Holy Spirit and deny praying in tongues is praying in the Spirit.

1Corinthians 14:26 What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up.
thus we are commanded at our church services to have the gift of tongues followed by the gift of interpretation followed by the gift of prophecy - as a lover of the Word @PloughBoy I would presume your church is obedient to this?
1Co 14:27 If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret.
1Co 14:28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.
1Co 14:29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said.

And here vis-à-vis the operation of the voice gifts of the Holy Spirit God confirms that personal praying in tongues is of the Holy Spirit > the one and only sign given as evidence of the baptism of Spirit promised to believers.
Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying.
If a person is speaking in "gibberish" which is a unknown language, one needs to pray. that he may speak in a better language.. A tongue that people can understand. and by doing so. we all can rejoice, and praise GOD and give Him the glory! The Language of Love is a universal language, No matter what tongue it is in. as long you can understand what is spoken that is being said. Now the words maybe "Gibberish" to me. For this is all i can understand it to be. But if a person think i am so gullibe that i will believe in some "Gibberish" speech I know nothing about, and they want me to believe in what they are saying is what ever. and it got something to do with GOD. You might as be someone from "Hare Krishna", Buddha, or any other kind of chanting religious organization.
Such languages does not register with me if it can not be label as a intelligent tongue.

But if it is, do it in private, and do not broadcast that among those who considers it a "barbaric act". And talking about it does not edify "the body of Christ" it only divides, separates and cause confusion and arguments that are harmful to the "body of "True Believers in Christ". and add's brownie points for "Nominal Christians" and the ungodly.

For as long as i have been in the "Body of Christ' the discussion about "Gibberish" has cause divisions and heated arguments but the gifts of "languages" discussions has always been a blessing especially those in the "missionaries" fields. were GOD has bless "missionaries the Gift of the Language of a tribe or culture that they never learn. They open their mouths and the language of that village or tribe pour forth form their mouths as the Holy Spirit anointed their very soul. And some missionaries have spoken in their own language and village people have heard it in their own native language although they did not understand the missionaries native language. Then there are some who only spoke a foreign language of a village for only a while not knowing what they was even saying for a short period of time and in these tribes and villages some people were truly saved. and in return they became the "Herald" of The Gospel of Jesus Christ in the region of their tribes and village without training and seminary schooling or a bible that has been translated into their Languages, in meaning there have not been created words or dictionaries that can define their languages. For there are no such words for their languages. For this is all public knowledge.

I thank GOD I did have the advantage to go to a Reformed Bible College that also had and train Missionaries to go into the remote areas of the "Amazon", into South America, Missionary fields and on their return home they always gave reports of their missions and the things that took place. In "Auditorium form".

And people wonder how i became such a radical in ."Jesus Christ". These young women were getting rape in the missionary fields and still witness to their rapist and still show them the love of Christ by soldiers and marauding villages. And many times by this, a lot of village people and tribe members was amaze and wonder what kind of GOD is this, who you know. We would be in the Auditorium crying and high in the "Holy Ghost". Parents of some of these young kids would be angry, fuming, a lot of these young kids were going back. From well off homes. So do I believe in gifts of the Holy Ghost, yes i do! But not this kind of lame duck showboat theatrics kinda shows I have seen here in the USA, and TV programings self satisfying, self glorifying money grabbing opportunist, successful Christian. Proclaimer that has become the Face of Christianity throughout the world. Becoming the Role Model and the Face of "Christianity" on a two sided coin. And on the other side: The Vatican "the Catholic Church is the Biggest Financial Power On Earth"

The Vatican has billions of shares in the the most powerful international corporations such as Gulf Oil, Shell., 51% of General Motors, BethlehemSteel, General Electric, International Business Machines, T.W.A., etc...!

(Acts 26:24). NASB.
"And Festus said; to Apostle Paul in a loud voice, Paul you are out of your mind! Your great learning is driving you mad."

All of my post on "TalkJesus" together paints a "Rembrandt" of what is to be, in light of "Holy Scripture". They are not verses and chapters. You must see the big picture, as some has said.

And we are auguring about "gibberish". how is that edifying the "Body of Christ"?

Loyal

Rom 8:26; In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;

1Cor 14:11; If then I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be to the one who speaks a barbarian, and the one who speaks will be a barbarian to me.
1Cor 14:12; So also you, since you are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek to abound for the edification of the church.
1Cor 14:13; Therefore let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.

Tongues in a public setting are useless without an interpretation.

However the Bible says we can pray in a tongue we don't understand.

1Cor 14:14; For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
1Cor 14:15; What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.
I agree with you , but, how do we know if the "Interpreter" is speaking the truth? How do we check him out! we sure cannot use a "Lexicon". And they say lie detectors are useless. What would The Bereans do?

Loyal
I agree with you , but, how do we know if the "Interpreter" is speaking the truth? How do we check him out! we sure cannot use a "Lexicon". And they say lie detectors are useless. What would The Bereans do?

Boy... it's been too long since I studied that, but if I remember there are 3 tests.

This is one of them.
Deut 18:22; "When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

That's a good question, let me see what I can dig up. But I know whatever is spoken will not disagree with the Bible. (maybe that's #2, I can't remember)

Loyal
1Cor 12:7; But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.

1Cor 14:4; One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.
1Cor 14:5; Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.

1Cor 14:17; For you are giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not edified.

1Cor 14:26; What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.

One of the tests is... if it doesn't "edify the church" then it's not from God. ( So now what does "edification" mean? )

Status
Not open for further replies.