• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Hearing God's Voice

How do you actually talk to God? How does everyone understand what he is saying to them? This is something I have always struggled with, at times I have thought I was hearing God's voice, but responded and things didn't turn out as they seemed? I'm confused, i've prayed about it and im still confused!! I want to do God's will, but I can't hear what he is saying.

Administrator
Staff Member
Hi sister, don't be confused! I had this issue myself until I realized that prayer itself IS you talking to GOD. GOD (commonly/usually) talks back to you in crystla clear thoughts, the Word (for exampe moments where you read the Bible and a verse hits you the right way unusual like your typical reading sessions). GOD talks to us through the Holy Spirit (gives us a feeling in our consciencess).

I'm sure GOD may also talk audibly aloud to some, I haven't had that happen to me (yet). Praise GOD

You just know!
Like Chad said, you can talk to God through prayer, and worship and praise as well. When God talks back you will know. God has spoke to me audibly before, and He usually speaks to me in dreams or when I pray. It differs with evey person. But do not be confused on this matter, because trust me, this is one of the most common questions I get from younger youth who do not understand God in a relationship, and I tell them the same thing, you just know. Anything bad will not be of God, but if it is good, you can almost be pretty sure that it is of God. Because God is not a God of disorder and confusion. He wont let you be confused for too long! He'll catch you when you leaste suspect it and you will know.!

God Bless
Sis in Christ:love:
Lnrobar

Ooooh I like this one. . .im excited about all the responses. . .hehe . . . i would like to see what the bible says too . . .on my own behalf :

i have fallen many times deeply into trust in prayer . . .loving His word and rewriting scripture with colorful pens, He highlights worship and praise while your reading and falling in love with Him . ..

i have spend very intimate times late at night with one little bitty candle in the room . .. and laying flat before Him other times .. .

if you can stand it . .. to wait for Him long enough . .. He will bless you on the spot. ..

there are thoughts in my head, or words in my heart . . .

there are songs popping up from nowhere and devotionals matchin my need, there are special people sayin special things all of a sudden . ..

somebody asks you something and God talks through you . .. and you realize. . that answer goes for you too

all that so far. . .im lookin forward to the shared hearts :love:

God bless you . .. and like Chad said:

Dont be confused! Take your time! and take the challenge on: to listen to the sweet whisper of God talking into your life. . .:love:

Chad and peeps have, both, given the best advice/examples of God's speaking and directing a Christian's life. Prayer is the strongest link to our fellowshipping and worshipping God. His Word, the Bible, shows us the innumerable promises that believers have been given and may claim as our own. Prayer and Scripture work hand-in-hand to grow and strengthen our faith. We talk to God, in prayer; HE, in turn, talks to and through us with HIS Word. If/When we think we are lacking in wisdom, take James' advice from James 1:5, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally(generously), and upbraideth(to scold, reproach, or reprove) not,and it shall be given him." I and many others, that I have known, have placed the Word of God before us at times when we do/did not understand the verses(s)/passage and we have asked God to teach/show us what HE is saying; to enligthen us; to give us wisdom and understanding, so we may know and share with others. As peeps indicated, you may become bathed in the Word of God with new-found love, admiration, trust, thankfulness, praise, and worship. We learn in stillness/quietness before HIM in our personal devotion. "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen. I will be exalted in the earth." (Psalm 46:10)

If you are seeking to know, you are headed in the right direction. "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you..."(James 4:8a) Each step we make toward HIM, HE comes closer to us. We are responsible for our own communion/fellowship toward HIM. HE does not force us to pray, read Scripture, witness for HIM, or share, but HE blesses when we do these things; they strengthen our faith and spiritual growth. May God bless you, give you understanding, and speak to/through you in your Christian walk!!!!!

Last edited:
I agree! By reading the Word and through prayer God speaks to me. I wanted to share a time God spoke to me the clearest.

My grandfather was sick November of 2003. He had been sick for a while-kidney failure. We are very close and I cannot describe how much I loved him. We have a close knit family tied together in love for the Lord and only my mom, her sister and I were close enough to drive out and be with him and my Nana when he went in and out of the hospital. It was ups and downs and I prayed so often, getting on my knees, on the floor, praying for comfort and peace.

I hadn't been there in a month when he started going downhill. I was devestated and devoted hours in prayer. Later on a Saturday nigh, Nov 1st, I was trying to arrange my schedule to take a turn going out to be with him. (Lived 2 hrs away) The Lord spoke in my heart with such urgency and clarity, Monday morning. I was thinking of going later in the week, but the feeling was so strong and clear, I made arrangements for my children, work and my little boys birthday party :(

I arrived Sun. night and sat with him. He slept peacefully for the first time in months. The next morning when he woke he was so sick and hurting. I held his hand and prayed. We called an ambulance b/c he couldn't breathe. He was taken to the hospital and we met him there. Minutes after we arrived he passed. It was glorious, yet so sad for us.

I will always listen to the feeling forever from now on. I know God told me he was going and He knew I needed to be there.

Anyways, long post sorry :) But confirmation it does happen through our feelings. If he feels you need to know, he will tell you.
God Bless you!

Administrator
Staff Member
girlforgod, thanks for sharing that. Good example.

Ok, let us make a simple straightforward plain list of *some* ways GOD communicates to us:

audible voice
thoughts
feelings (gut feelings, in your heart feelings)
other believers
signs (literally signs or just signs [non literal])

...and course our obvious first, foremost winner: THE HOLY BIBLE :)

Chad, you made me think of something :)

Sometimes isn't God's silence an answer? We think He may not be responding, but His ways are not ours. How many times have you prayed and thought He was silent, later to find it was all for a reason?

Kind of a backwards answer, but I believe sometimes He remains silent when we want to hear him for his own reasons that are much better than ours. Just a thought...

The most common way God speaks to us is thru His Word. But also when the Spirit of the Lord speaks to our heart it is like an inner witness. We just know inside it is Him because it is according to His Word. If the Spirit of God impresses you to do something or speaks somethng to you it will never never contradict what the Bible says. That is our safe guard, and how we know it is God. He tells us His will in His Word - its a love letter from Him to us.

Thanks you Lord!

Formerly Adiaglow
Wow...some amazing replies here that have made me feel so much more confident about my experiences!

God speaks to individuals in ways that are personal and unique to each person.

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.Rev. 3:20

Note:A Word for the Wise, hearing His voice often means, OBEYING IT.

The Lord speaks to us in ways we often miss. He has many ways of speaking, including through the Bible, prayer, circumstances, spiritual gifts, common sense wisdom, conviction, His character, His peace, natural things, and even in times of silence. You will discover how God’s voice becomes familiar to you as you develop a loving relationship with Him.

God will never say anything that contravenes what He has said in the Bible, and usually He confirms what He has said. After you learn to listen to God, hearing from God will be as natural as communicating with a close friend.

In :love: of JESUS the Christ, Our LORD, Yeshua :boy_hug:

4ever_Thankful said:
How do you actually talk to God? How does everyone understand what he is saying to them? This is something I have always struggled with, at times I have thought I was hearing God's voice, but responded and things didn't turn out as they seemed? I'm confused, i've prayed about it and im still confused!! I want to do God's will, but I can't hear what he is saying.

4ever,
I saw many good responses to your thread. But in your thread you mention many times you thought you heard from God to see it didn't work out like you thought. You need to always make sure what you think God is saying lines up with the Word of God. Sometime you need to wait on Him, He doesn't always ans. right away, our desires sometime influence our prayers and our hearing. When I first got saved i always would ask a more mature christain friend to also pray with me and see if God showed them anything. There is strength in agreement. Then as time goes on and you grow in the Lord you learn over time when it is His voice. Good old trial and error. Over time you will fine tune hearing His voice. It takes time and stepping out in faith. Even when we mess up, God is faithful to turn all things to His glory. Hope this helped.

Your sister in Christ,
AlabasterBox :girl:

:rainbow:

I like this

Gloria said:
The most common way God speaks to us is thru His Word. But also when the Spirit of the Lord speaks to our heart it is like an inner witness. We just know inside it is Him because it is according to His Word. If the Spirit of God impresses you to do something or speaks somethng to you it will never never contradict what the Bible says. That is our safe guard, and how we know it is God. He tells us His will in His Word - its a love letter from Him to us.

Thanks you Lord!

thanks gloria . . .i like that . . . never seen that assurance as safe guard, your right, cool :thumbs_up

Administrator
Staff Member
4ever you have received many great responses from powerful believers in this community. I hope it has taught you and given you wisdom by the power of GOD's Word through His believers here.

GOD is amazing will surely make Himsefl clear when He wants a message to get across to you :)

I have had nightime 'revelations' is what I call them anyway,
I have woken in the morning with words from the Bible
they have been said to me but I can't tell how, I just wake with
them on my lips to repeat,
the first words I was told I hadn't even read them from the
Bible so I know they were from God, I had to ask in Church
their meaning...
then a few months later it happened again, only differant words
it has happened like this to me 5 times now, I can't say I hear a
voice because I'm asleep, one time it was a thought I had
in my head but I didn't pray about it or even speak it to the Lord
but I got it answered still, told to read a passage John 10, 12
now I didn't know if it was to be John Ch10 to ch12 so I started
reading at John ch10 and when I got to ch11 first verse there
was the answer, so it was in John ch11V1 which was placed in the
very middle of the three chapters amazing, Praise Him.
The last 'word' I received was about something I was doing
being 'Pass remarkable' as if I were being corrected for this,
I wasn't being judgemental but was passing remarks and I was
being told not to. Yes we do have to take heed to what we are
being told too, Amen.

Wow! God is amazing! You say you have woke up speaking things, like the word, that you haven't even read. That is the coolest thing God could bless a person with. I think anyways.

I too have woke up speaking, but not the word. I have woke up praying(This was before I found out my calling to intercessory prayer), and I have woke up speaking in tounge. To God, which is another prayer thing.
But isn't God just wonderful on how He is Him?

I Love reading things like this, it just gives me a blessing. Praise God!

Hi Everyone!
Thanks heaps for all your replies!! Some of you have had some amazing experiences, but then again I think that just being able to communicate with our creator is amazing!! I am very much looking forward to growing closer to God and hearing his voice. I think AlabasterBox hit the nail right on the head, I need to be more patient, and now I can see that it was my mistake and was not in correspondence with what he has said in His Word. I honestly can't thank everyone enough for their replies, and support.
Bec

I myself was confused about hearing God's voice, and wondering how to talk to God. This was very early in my coming accept Christ as Lord of my life.You might say I was still on the milk. Talking to God is praying to Him. Just loke you talk to people, you can also have conversation with Him openly and honestly. God's Word is what speaks to us. Because it is Truth and vivid. I believe God still speaks audilbly, through our dreams and by giving us vissions. A quiet place is good to hear God, always good from distraction. Confussion comes when there are many voices we sometimes hear confussing us as to whether it is God. If you have to question that it is God that is speaking to you, then nine times out of ten, it;s not Him. Stay in prayer and focus and wait for the still voice of God to guide you and lead you in every decisson you make. I pray that this help you. May your faith open open your ears to His Word, and your prayers be intimate, in Jesus name, Amen !

Yes i truly agree with that. When our personal relationship with Christ grows we are more self assured of the voice of God

Listen to your heart. He can speak to you in different ways. He can remind you about something, give you a word, a picture, a feeling, he can send someone who confirm it to you, etc. When I pray for people I always ask the holy spirit to come, then I`m calm and quiet, wayting. Almost always he gives me something. I ask the person if it means something to her. I never force my opinions or "Words from God" to people. That`s important. Go on try it.
Calmno from Norway