• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Greetings -- A Freindly Atheist Who Wants to Know: Why Christ?

Hi there, maybe your presence in this site isn't an accident at all and I hope that you'll keep an open mind about everything that you will learn from this site. Everyone here is a Christian so I may say, do expect Christian views in dealing with daily human circumstances. Lastly, I hope that you will meet Jesus personally. I do believe that His meeting you and you might not have realize it yet.

Thank you, Raintree. I promise, I strive to keep my mind as open as is possible without admitting leaks and drafts. Looking back over several of my most recent additions here I can see how they can be read as "standard atheist negative," which is not at all my intent. I am certainly willing to accept Christ. All it requires is either (A) a rational argument which outweighs my 50 years of pessimistic life experience (not very likely, by my estimate), or (B) some experience of personal revelation, the likelihood of which I am also skeptical, but, taking many accounts such as that of Saul/Paul, shouldn't be too much effort on the part of God. And, if he IS real and I haven't experienced him yet, I bear him no particular ill will on the assumption he must have his reasons for the experiences I have in the meantime. But he should know (as, if he exists, he certainly does), up to this moment, I cannot yet distinguish between the world as I currently see it (material naturalism) and one that is a Creation of his handiwork.

But, as I think I said somewhere higher up in this thread, we shall see. :)

Staff Member
Greetings Mr Kirby,

I thought it about time i said hallo again! Lots of prayer and thoughts for you so a quick greeting was in order!

One thing you might consider, if you are even a little bit one who enjoys the beauty of all things 'natural', is to understand that while men might tell others what God is like, when you sniff a flower and see a sunset, when you hear some of your inner senses tell you that something you see of what we call creation, is lovely to you, begin to see that that is God telling you about Himself.
This is what I AM like, [I give you a taste of Myself and show you My love for you,] do likewise.

Bless you ....><>

[To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.] The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork.

Psalm 19:1

For from the creation of the world His invisible qualities, both His eternal power and divinity, are clearly seen, being understood by the things made, for them to be without excuse.
Romans 1:20

Greetings Mr Kirby,

I thought it about time i said hallo again! Lots of prayer and thoughts for you so a quick greeting was in order!

One thing you might consider, if you are even a little bit one who enjoys the beauty of all things 'natural', is to understand that while men might tell others what God is like, when you sniff a flower and see a sunset, when you hear some of your inner senses tell you that something you see of what we call creation, is lovely to you, begin to see that that is God telling you about Himself.
This is what I AM like, [I give you a taste of Myself and show you My love for you,] do likewise.

Bless you ....><>

[To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.] The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork.
Psalm 19:1

For from the creation of the world His invisible qualities, both His eternal power and divinity, are clearly seen, being understood by the things made, for them to be without excuse.
Romans 1:20

HI BR. BEAR! SO nice to read you! I hope you are doing well in these decidedly strange days.

You provoke recollection of some well-trodden thoughts for me. Of all things, with the possible exception of my wife’s long-suffering patience with me, nothing inspires me with half as much awe and wonder –– and genuine adoration –– as nature.

I have little patience for atheists who insist there is nothing to the Argument from Design. I detest when they make broad proclamations that no human engineer worth his or her salt would ever design anything as implausible or clunky as, say, the pharyngeal nerve in the giraffe, or the goofy, highly unsanitary reproductive/excretory systems in humans. My dad was an engineer. Engineers are NOT abstract painters. Engineers design towards a definite purpose. You can only ever claim to judge the efficacy of a design like the giraffe’s pharyngeal nerve if you have some idea of its intended purpose. Biologists can characterize some of the FUNCTIONS the giraffe’s p.n. performs. But that is not necessarily the same as its PURPOSE.

As well, seeing as I can’t rule out God’s existence, likewise I cannot deny that, if he DOES exist, Creation is his handiwork. And my awe and admiration of its majesty is in no way diminished when I consider it may be the result of his deliberate design. My wedding ring is made of platinum. According to cosmology, platinum cannot form in normal stars, nor even in supernovas, as so many other elements, up to and including iron, do. Platinum (as well as gold, for that matter) can only form in even greater cataclysms yet. Things like neutron star/neutron star collisions. AND, the statistics of deep space and deep time being what they are, it is almost certain that not all the platinum in my ring was forged in the same neutron star/neutron star collision, but rather, almost certainly in several. I find such ponderings staggering. If any god is responsible for that miracle, I would certainly like to know, because I would definitely like to thank him. He does amazing work.

The one caveat I stipulate, however (and this touches on precisely the thorny issues I’ve been grappling with in this conversation, the one you touch upon), is I have a much easier time accepting reality if it is not the product of any personal Creator. Because, for all its marvels which I do celebrate, there are things in it I behold with undeniable horror. Things for which I honestly cannot find it within me to be grateful. To be sure, as with “designs” which happen to strike me as inscrutable, I am not so arrogant as to claim there CANNOT be positive sides to things like the 2004 tsunami, or pediatric cancer. But these benefits, if they do exist, utterly escape me. So, on that day, if it ever comes, when I finally have my ten second audience with the Old Timer, I’ll be sure to thank them for my kids and my wife and my platinum ring, but also ask, “What the heck is up with all that other stuff?”

Please be well,

ME

If you would just end chapters or read a full passage and not cherry pick statements. I don't need to cherry pick those verses you quoted for a bumper sticker. I can see His goodness in literally every action He performs in scripture.

- Swift destruction of the extremely wicked and cruel = mercy and not repaying evil with evil
- Brutality of the cross = Lamb to the slaughter / not cheating by calling 1000 angels to protect Him / setting a clear precedent in His dealings with us
- Cross = Greatest act love in that He lays His life down for us John 15:13.
- All children go straight to heaven = sensible God
- Nobody predestined for hell = impartial God Acts 10:34 = good God

I could go on all day!!!!

It is because David grasped God that he tells us all ''GUYS, REJOICE, because GOD IS GOOD''!!! Psalm 136:1. It is not uncommon to see evil and assume God is evil.

What you are ''missing'' when you read scripture is the fact that God wants us to judge Him. He ''GIVES'' us our brains as you noted. He ''GIVES'' us the knowledge of good and evil Gen 3:22. He gives us time and space to exercise our free will. He tells us that we must judge better then the world 1 Cor 6:1-9. He tells us that we can and must discern all matters 1 Cor 2:15. He wants us to grasp the love that God has for us in Christ Eph 3:18. He wants us to interrogate Him. When Abraham interrogated Him in Gen 18, He did not say to Abraham ''silence, I am God, dare you question me''.

Imagine I miss-represented you. Lets say you wanted to date my sister. I know that you do charity work at an orphanage. You chose to help with the pigs as nobody wanted that job. You are a smart, kind and caring man. You have a good day job that pays well. You live in slight poverty though as you donate most of your money to charity. Now what would you do to me one-day if you discovered I told my sister that you were a poor man who smelt like a pig most of the day.

I hope you can be honest with yourself and rebuke yourself for bias and cherry picking scriptures. You, like many atheists I know, '''KNOW'' the scriptures that debunk most of what you espouse. You just hold on to certain statements with ferocity.

Please forgive me pestering, King J.

My request for ameliorating context concerning Num 31:17-18 and Deut 22:28-29 was not rhetorical. My aim is not to continue inflating the scope of our conversation. For my part, I see you did ask for clarification on a certain point a few exchanges back regarding God’s acceptance of blood sacrifice, my understanding of Noah’s application of the practice, and what I see in it as a clear indication that God evolves morally over time.

I await your thoughts on the passages in Numbers and Deuteronomy.

Regarding blood sacrifice, I did not mean to suggest Noah’s blood sacrifice was in some way CAUSE for punishment by God. Nor even that blood sacrifices were necessarily the be-all, end-all favorite among God’s preferred forms of worship. My point is God clearly found blood sacrifice acceptable in those days. Even, on occasion, mortal HUMAN sacrifice. (For example, as I have said, Jepthah’s daughter. As well as circumcision standing as God’s marker among male Jews, like a brand on a head of cattle, attesting their lives are ALL forfeit to him, on demand.)

I see no cause for controversy in this. God might have chided that the blood of an animal sacrifice may not absolve Man of any manner of sin. That is not the same as, “Commandment #11: Thou shalt not offer blood sacrifice.”

In the specific case of Noah’s burnt offering, its presentation in Genesis after the Flood prompts God to forge his new covenant with Man, vowing never to wipe out all terrestrial life in a single flood ever again. In other words, Noah has shown, through his obedience AS WELL AS his blood sacrifice, that he’s a good chap and, in deference to him, God won’t ever haul out the “big guns” of punishing deluge again.

I don’t recall any estimates for what global antediluvian human population may have been. But let’s stipulate it was something less than today’s near-8 billion (if only thanks to antibiotics and vaccines). Forgive me assuming, but you’ll agree that people today are at least as wicked as antediluvian Man. (Maybe I’m wrong? Don’t let me put words in your mouth.) Even if modern Man is, on average, “only” just as wicked as antediluvian Man, in light of the larger population, there is more wickedness today, in absolute quantities, than there was in those days. Yet religious people are not overwrought worrying about whether another Flood is on its way. Why not? Because God promised he doesn’t go in for that kind of thing anymore. I.e., moral development.

If you came across me in the park on a Sunday and I was about to sacrifice a goat, or a human child, to God, would you offer to help? Again, stop me if I’m assuming too much, but I hope you would not. I HOPE you would seek to dissuade me from performing so barbaric an act. I hope PART of your rationale would be that God, today, would take no pleasure in such grizzly rites of veneration. Yet the closest he came to disputing Abraham’s sacrifice of Jacob was to stipulate the dispatch of a ram, instead.

CUT TO:

One Testament, and a thousand years, later, and the only literal blood sacrifice which finds any favor with him at all is that of Christ. Indeed, in the guise of Jesus, he enjoins mercy in the face of capitol crimes such as adultery. Again –– moral evolution.

I contend God matured, morally, between the Flood and the Crucifixion. Forgetting my issues with both those momentous events, what can you tell me when I say, if he exists, his moral standards and his preference for mercy has likely evolved, as well, a further 2,000 years since then?

Active
Please forgive me pestering, King J.

My request for ameliorating context concerning Num 31:17-18 and Deut 22:28-29 was not rhetorical. My aim is not to continue inflating the scope of our conversation. For my part, I see you did ask for clarification on a certain point a few exchanges back regarding God’s acceptance of blood sacrifice, my understanding of Noah’s application of the practice, and what I see in it as a clear indication that God evolves morally over time.

I await your thoughts on the passages in Numbers and Deuteronomy.

Regarding blood sacrifice, I did not mean to suggest Noah’s blood sacrifice was in some way CAUSE for punishment by God. Nor even that blood sacrifices were necessarily the be-all, end-all favorite among God’s preferred forms of worship. My point is God clearly found blood sacrifice acceptable in those days. Even, on occasion, mortal HUMAN sacrifice. (For example, as I have said, Jepthah’s daughter. As well as circumcision standing as God’s marker among male Jews, like a brand on a head of cattle, attesting their lives are ALL forfeit to him, on demand.)

I see no cause for controversy in this. God might have chided that the blood of an animal sacrifice may not absolve Man of any manner of sin. That is not the same as, “Commandment #11: Thou shalt not offer blood sacrifice.”

In the specific case of Noah’s burnt offering, its presentation in Genesis after the Flood prompts God to forge his new covenant with Man, vowing never to wipe out all terrestrial life in a single flood ever again. In other words, Noah has shown, through his obedience AS WELL AS his blood sacrifice, that he’s a good chap and, in deference to him, God won’t ever haul out the “big guns” of punishing deluge again.

I don’t recall any estimates for what global antediluvian human population may have been. But let’s stipulate it was something less than today’s near-8 billion (if only thanks to antibiotics and vaccines). Forgive me assuming, but you’ll agree that people today are at least as wicked as antediluvian Man. (Maybe I’m wrong? Don’t let me put words in your mouth.) Even if modern Man is, on average, “only” just as wicked as antediluvian Man, in light of the larger population, there is more wickedness today, in absolute quantities, than there was in those days. Yet religious people are not overwrought worrying about whether another Flood is on its way. Why not? Because God promised he doesn’t go in for that kind of thing anymore. I.e., moral development.

If you came across me in the park on a Sunday and I was about to sacrifice a goat, or a human child, to God, would you offer to help? Again, stop me if I’m assuming too much, but I hope you would not. I HOPE you would seek to dissuade me from performing so barbaric an act. I hope PART of your rationale would be that God, today, would take no pleasure in such grizzly rites of veneration. Yet the closest he came to disputing Abraham’s sacrifice of Jacob was to stipulate the dispatch of a ram, instead.

CUT TO:

One Testament, and a thousand years, later, and the only literal blood sacrifice which finds any favor with him at all is that of Christ. Indeed, in the guise of Jesus, he enjoins mercy in the face of capitol crimes such as adultery. Again –– moral evolution.

I contend God matured, morally, between the Flood and the Crucifixion. Forgetting my issues with both those momentous events, what can you tell me when I say, if he exists, his moral standards and his preference for mercy has likely evolved, as well, a further 2,000 years since then?
Hi Kirby, I will reply when I get the time too. It is on my 'to do list'. Things hectic my side at the moment.

Staff Member
these are strange times.
should i go into the quantum and dimensions of time itself or simply agree? As for strange, some people think i am strange... does that make me a stranger?

Greetings again,

thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

You will find, if you read your Bible, that you are not alone with both questions and lamentations regarding the sort of 'horrors' you mention. I shall not go into it here but perhaps one day we can talk about some of these things? It would be nice to be able to sit and talk face to face as typing is rather limited! That probably won't happen for a while so we shall have to make do with seeking the Lord to have Him explain to us some things that often our very limited comprehension and vernacular can not barely touch upon. And having said that, may i heartily suggest to you, my friend....
If any god is responsible for that miracle, I would certainly like to know, because I would definitely like to thank him. He does amazing work.
do!

It might seem a little against one part of your intelligence to do so, but i know there is that something also that wants to honestly say thank you to the Lord.
I have been on the road you tread and I know i am not the only one who likewise has trodden a similar path, and so i do encourage you to get a little 'risky' and a little 'brave' and quietly say, "thank you". You might even find a certain refreshment come upon you that you never knew, or dreamt of, existing!

with love,

Bless you ....><>

should i go into the quantum and dimensions of time itself or simply agree? As for strange, some people think i am strange... does that make me a stranger?

Greetings again,

thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

You will find, if you read your Bible, that you are not alone with both questions and lamentations regarding the sort of 'horrors' you mention. I shall not go into it here but perhaps one day we can talk about some of these things? It would be nice to be able to sit and talk face to face as typing is rather limited! That probably won't happen for a while so we shall have to make do with seeking the Lord to have Him explain to us some things that often our very limited comprehension and vernacular can not barely touch upon. And having said that, may i heartily suggest to you, my friend....

do!

It might seem a little against one part of your intelligence to do so, but i know there is that something also that wants to honestly say thank you to the Lord.
I have been on the road you tread and I know i am not the only one who likewise has trodden a similar path, and so i do encourage you to get a little 'risky' and a little 'brave' and quietly say, "thank you". You might even find a certain refreshment come upon you that you never knew, or dreamt of, existing!

with love,

Bless you ....><>

You know, I never really thought of it before. There is no question I am immensely grateful to whatever agency lies behind the many treasures in my life. I am open to the idea that agency is a god, even the God of the Bible. I just don’t use that particular handle at the moment. It wouldn’t feel intellectually honest. But God would know my feelings on it and know the sincerity of that gratitude.

And, on the other hand, since I don’t find any deliberate malice or design in the many naturally occurring misfortunes I see I the world, I don’t particularly blame that entity which I also credit for the good stuff.

And I would definitely love to have a face-to-face fleshmeet when this whole doomsday brouhaha blows over.

K