• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Euthanasia. What the Bible says?

Ever increasingly in our modern society people are discussing the issue of Euthanasia.

Here in Australia some people are lobbing to have our laws changed so that Euthanasia can be practised legally. There are those people who think people have the right to end their lives if they feel they need to, due to ill health etc... I, myself do not support the practise of Euthanasia, as in my opinion it is against the will of God. God only should decide when a person should finally die.

Could you explain where in the Bible it states that Euthanasia is wrong? I know it says it somewhere, but am not sure in what section of the Bible it is explained.

What is your opinion? Do you think that Euthanasia should be used under any circumstance?

Just some thoughts. Fill free to comment.

Life49

From Gotquestions.org

Question: "What does the Bible say about euthanasia and/or having a living will?"

Answer: This is a very difficult issue. There are two sides that are difficult to balance. On one end, we do not want to take a person’s life into our own hands and end it prematurely - euthanasia. On the other end, at what point do we simply allow a person to die – a living will?

What about euthanasia? The overriding truth that drives me to the conclusion that God is opposed to euthanasia is His sovereignty. We know that physical death is inevitable (Psalm 89:48; Hebrews 9:27). However, God alone is sovereign over when and how a person's death occurs. Job testifies in Job 30:23, "For I know that You (God) will bring me to death and to the house of meeting for all living." In Psalm 68:20, we read, "God is to us a God of deliverances; and to GOD the Lord belong escapes from death." Ecclesiastes 8:8a declares, "No man has authority to restrain the wind with the wind, or authority over the day of death..." God has the final say over death (see also 1 Corinthians 15:26, 54-56; Hebrews 2:9, 14-15; Revelation 21:4). Euthanasia is man's way of trying to usurp that authority from God.

Death is a natural occurrence. Sometimes God allows a person to suffer long before death is realized; other times, the person's suffering is cut short. No one likes to suffer, but that does not make it right for us to determine that a person is ready to die. Often God's purposes are made known through a person's suffering. "In the day of prosperity be happy, but in the day of adversity consider - God has made the one as well as the other so that man may not discover anything that will be after him" (Ecclesiastes 7:14). Romans 5:3 teaches that tribulations bring about perseverance. God cares about those who are crying out for death to end their suffering. God gives purpose to life even until the end. Only God knows what is best, and His timing even in one's death is perfect.

At the same time, the Bible does not command us to do everything we can to keep a person alive. If a person is being kept alive only by machines, it is not immoral to turn off the machines and allow the person to die. If a person has been in a persistent vegetative state for a prolonged period of time, I do not believe it would be an offense to God to remove whatever tubes / machines that are keeping the person alive. Should God desire to keep a person alive, He is perfectly capable of doing so without the help of feeding tubes and/or respirators.

As a person who has been through this situation, I truly feel for those who must make these life decisions. It is never easy to tell a doctor to suspend the life support of a loved one. We should never seek to prematurely end a life, but at the same time, neither do we have to preserve a life as long as possible. My best advice to anyone facing this decision is to pray to God for wisdom (James 1:5) in regards to what He would have you do.

On a practical note, I believe a living will is an excellent thing to have. A living will simply states your desires in regards to this issue. A person with a living will can state that they do or do not want to be kept on life-preserving machinery. A person with a living will can say what procedures they do and do not want done to them to preserve their life. A person with a living will can state what conditions they do or do not want to be kept in. Most importantly, a person with a living will can save their loved ones from having to make these painful and difficult decisions.

I personally do not think we should have the right to end a person's life. It's up to God to decide when we come and go!

Active
Sister truly you beat me to it, lol.

That site is great when it comes to answering questions.

God is good.

Last edited:
Thank you "rizen1" and "trulyblezze

Thank you "rizen1" and "trulyblezzed" for your comments.Thank you for providing some of the Bible verses that clearly outline God's view on euthanasia. I will have a look at the web site, Gotquestions.org. It should also be of some assistance on this topic.

It can often be a very difficult decision to make when a loved one, is suffering or, and is on life support. Praying for God's wisdom and understanding is an excellent thing to do, when deciding to suspend the life support of a loved one. After all God always knows best for all who believe and trust in Him.
My parents are now becoming quite old, and I may have to face a difficult decision or two, in the future. I know that God always gives us the strength to make these decisions, when they appear in our lives. Decisions, meaning....taking a person off life support when it appears that nothing long term can be done.

Thank you again. You have been a great help!

God Bless
Life49

No problem brother! That's what we are here for

Maybe you can have your parents sign a living will now before they get any older. I have a living will and I'm only 24! It's a great thing to have just in case.

God Bless!

Active
Some people offered to euthanise Jesus on the cross, with vinegar mixed with gall or myrrh as he was suffering, but he refused. Jesus chose to suffer our sins, and bore in his body our pain.

What a saviour! May we endure whatever suffering comes our way...because He lives.

Ever increasingly in our modern society people are discussing the issue of Euthanasia.

Here in Australia some people are lobbing to have our laws changed so that Euthanasia can be practised legally. There are those people who think people have the right to end their lives if they feel they need to, due to ill health etc... I, myself do not support the practise of Euthanasia, as in my opinion it is against the will of God. God only should decide when a person should finally die.

Could you explain where in the Bible it states that Euthanasia is wrong? I know it says it somewhere, but am not sure in what section of the Bible it is explained.

What is your opinion? Do you think that Euthanasia should be used under any circumstance?

Life49

If God wants to SAVE lives, hence the ransom of Jesus, thus putting him over life, so how can it be right to take a life even if its ones own?
Revelation 21:4
And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, . . .
BT

Loyal

Life49
Let me phrase my answer this way...The bible says 'Thou shalt not kill'....The bible says 'By Jesus stripes you were healed' So why would you kill someone, or help them die, when all they have to do is believe God and recieve their healing? Isn't that murder?

Loyal
Sister truly you beat me to it, lol.

That site is great when it comes to answering questions.

God is good.
That site Gotquestions.org is filled with doctrines of unbelief....God does not make anybody sick, God does not kill anyone, God does not 'allow' sickness, we do...Read the Word! We can't just go around blaming God for everything Satan does.

Loyal
From Gotquestions.org

Question: "What does the Bible say about euthanasia and/or having a living will?"

Answer: This is a very difficult issue. There are two sides that are difficult to balance. On one end, we do not want to take a person’s life into our own hands and end it prematurely - euthanasia. On the other end, at what point do we simply allow a person to die – a living will?

What about euthanasia? The overriding truth that drives me to the conclusion that God is opposed to euthanasia is His sovereignty. We know that physical death is inevitable (Psalm 89:48; Hebrews 9:27). However, God alone is sovereign over when and how a person's death occurs. Job testifies in Job 30:23, "For I know that You (God) will bring me to death and to the house of meeting for all living." In Psalm 68:20, we read, "God is to us a God of deliverances; and to GOD the Lord belong escapes from death." Ecclesiastes 8:8a declares, "No man has authority to restrain the wind with the wind, or authority over the day of death..." God has the final say over death (see also 1 Corinthians 15:26, 54-56; Hebrews 2:9, 14-15; Revelation 21:4). Euthanasia is man's way of trying to usurp that authority from God.

Death is a natural occurrence. Sometimes God allows a person to suffer long before death is realized; other times, the person's suffering is cut short. No one likes to suffer, but that does not make it right for us to determine that a person is ready to die. Often God's purposes are made known through a person's suffering. "In the day of prosperity be happy, but in the day of adversity consider - God has made the one as well as the other so that man may not discover anything that will be after him" (Ecclesiastes 7:14). Romans 5:3 teaches that tribulations bring about perseverance. God cares about those who are crying out for death to end their suffering. God gives purpose to life even until the end. Only God knows what is best, and His timing even in one's death is perfect.

At the same time, the Bible does not command us to do everything we can to keep a person alive. If a person is being kept alive only by machines, it is not immoral to turn off the machines and allow the person to die. If a person has been in a persistent vegetative state for a prolonged period of time, I do not believe it would be an offense to God to remove whatever tubes / machines that are keeping the person alive. Should God desire to keep a person alive, He is perfectly capable of doing so without the help of feeding tubes and/or respirators.

As a person who has been through this situation, I truly feel for those who must make these life decisions. It is never easy to tell a doctor to suspend the life support of a loved one. We should never seek to prematurely end a life, but at the same time, neither do we have to preserve a life as long as possible. My best advice to anyone facing this decision is to pray to God for wisdom (James 1:5) in regards to what He would have you do.

On a practical note, I believe a living will is an excellent thing to have. A living will simply states your desires in regards to this issue. A person with a living will can state that they do or do not want to be kept on life-preserving machinery. A person with a living will can say what procedures they do and do not want done to them to preserve their life. A person with a living will can state what conditions they do or do not want to be kept i n. Most importantly, a person with a living will can save their loved ones from having to make these painful and difficult decisions.

I personally do not think we should have the right to end a person's life. It's up to God to decide when we come and go!
Wow! This is a lot of rot! It contradicts the Word almost completely.

Euthanasia is an argument that more than likely I would be on both sides depending on the situation. The same with Abortion.

I'm curious. Though each person must make their own decision on who they would follow.
What situation would you have no problem with as it pertains to Abortion?
@Christ4Ever

Gen 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

Men are possessive by nature concerning what they view as theirs and their property. Normally and Ideally their is a natural instinct to provide and protect what they see as theirs; Chances of a Husband casting off his his offspring from his submissive wife is low. Also a Husband seems to have a right to demand his wife get an abortion if suspects or knows a growing fetus is not his based of these scriptures. "I don't like posting them all but context needed"

If the wife refuses then the husband should be able to give her a bill of divorce and not be held legally responsible to provide for any of her needs. Also if the wife refuses then chances are her desire is not to her husband.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Num 5:11 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
Num 5:12 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, If any man's wife go aside, and commit a trespass against him,
Num 5:13 And a man lie with her carnally, and it be hid from the eyes of her husband, and be kept close, and she be defiled, and there be no witness against her, neither she be taken with the manner;
Num 5:14 And the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be defiled: or if the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be not defiled:
Num 5:15 Then shall the man bring his wife unto the priest, and he shall bring her offering for her, the tenth part of an ephah of barley meal; he shall pour no oil upon it, nor put frankincense thereon; for it is an offering of jealousy, an offering of memorial, bringing iniquity to remembrance.
Num 5:16 And the priest shall bring her near, and set her before the LORD:
Num 5:17 And the priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel; and of the dust that is in the floor of the tabernacle the priest shall take, and put it into the water:
Num 5:18 And the priest shall set the woman before the LORD, and uncover the woman's head, and put the offering of memorial in her hands, which is the jealousy offering: and the priest shall have in his hand the bitter water that causeth the curse:
Num 5:19 And the priest shall charge her by an oath, and say unto the woman, If no man have lain with thee, and if thou hast not gone aside to uncleanness with another instead of thy husband, be thou free from this bitter water that causeth the curse:
Num 5:20 But if thou hast gone aside to another instead of thy husband, and if thou be defiled, and some man have lain with thee beside thine husband:
Num 5:21 Then the priest shall charge the woman with an oath of cursing, and the priest shall say unto the woman, The LORD make thee a curse and an oath among thy people, when the LORD doth make thy thigh to rot, and thy belly to swell;
Num 5:22 And this water that causeth the curse shall go into thy bowels, to make thy belly to swell, and thy thigh to rot: And the woman shall say, Amen, amen.
Num 5:23 And the priest shall write these curses in a book, and he shall blot them out with the bitter water:
Num 5:24 And he shall cause the woman to drink the bitter water that causeth the curse: and the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter.
Num 5:25 Then the priest shall take the jealousy offering out of the woman's hand, and shall wave the offering before the LORD, and offer it upon the altar:
Num 5:26 And the priest shall take an handful of the offering, even the memorial thereof, and burn it upon the altar, and afterward shall cause the woman to drink the water.
Num 5:27 And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, that, if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people.
Num 5:28 And if the woman be not defiled, but be clean; then she shall be free, and shall conceive seed.

Num 5:29 This is the law of jealousies, when a wife goeth aside to another instead of her husband, and is defiled;
Num 5:30 Or when the spirit of jealousy cometh upon him, and he be jealous over his wife, and shall set the woman before the LORD, and the priest shall execute upon her all this law.
Num 5:31 Then shall the man be guiltless from iniquity, and this woman shall bear her iniquity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Decision of Husband based off infidelity of wife.

I've came across some other information as well but don't think should be mentioned because;

Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

"certain people could perhaps exploit it for wickedness"

Last edited:
@Christ4Ever

I ran out of time; But basically anything outside a marriage / nuclear family at a minimum are possible grounds for an abortion; At the same time that does not necessarily mean their should not be penalties or deterrents

Also Husbands are to Honour their wives but the ultimate decision making and boundaries still stand with the Husbands.

Perhaps bizarre concept but mainly because The Government has illegally taken on the Provider/Protector roles and has socialized many of us to where the desire is for the woman; and not the other way around. But then the Governments are ran by Oligarchs who are men and just so happens to make sure their families are intact

Last edited:
Oh I also feel I should add that a true marriage is a contractual agreement between a man and a woman. The state does not have to be involved neither should it be involved. When you get a marriage license the The State becomes the third party.

And nine times out of ten you are going against this proverb of wisdom

Proverbs 31:3 Do not give your strength to women, Or your ways to that which destroys kings.

Loyal
I'm curious. Though each person must make their own decision on who they would follow.
What situation would you have no problem with as it pertains to Abortion?

Deuteronomy 30:19-20 King James Version (KJV)

19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

20 That thou mayest love the Lord thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the Lord sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Exodus 20:13
Thou shalt not kill.
Deuteronomy 5:17
Thou shalt not kill.
Matthew 5:21
Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Romans 13:9
For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Psalm 103:3 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
He forgives all your offenses,
he heals all your diseases,

1 Peter 2:24 (CJB)
24 He himself bore our sins[a] in his body on the stake, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness — by his wounds you were healed.

So....God has healed us from toenails to topknot... He's healed ALL of our dis-eases. He tells us to choose life. He tells us not to kill.....

It looks to me that the decision is made....To euthanize anybody for any reason is murder. I know I said this before....This time I show scripture.

@Bendito

There is a difference between killing and murder.
One is unlawful and one may not be the case.

In your defense:
Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

However there is a keyword in there that the spirit of discernment will not allow me to utter in these public forums.

Is easy to say such things as God loves everybody or all Killing is Murder; However with all things the Spirit of Discernment is needed.

Loyal
@Bendito

There is a difference between killing and murder.
One is unlawful and one may not be the case.

In your defense:
Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

However there is a keyword in there that the spirit of discernment will not allow me to utter in these public forums.

Is easy to say such things as God loves everybody or all Killing is Murder; However with all things the Spirit of Discernment is needed.
The only reason people ever discuss euthanasia is for dealing with a disease. A healthy oldster never even looks at it. He/she enjoys life just as much at ninety five as they did at nineteen, perhaps more. So based on that, what justification could one ever give to make euthanasia right? NONE. God heals all of our dis-eases.
I have to say, Ivar, that your reasoning is NOT Word based and your Word is only reason/intellect based. You're arguing from the wrong position. You cannot contradict God, you will be wrong, and He right, every time. You need to read the Word and form your opinions from that...Not form your opinion then bend the Word to fit that.