• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to night mode (or back to light/default theme) simply scroll all the way down to the footer and click on the style chooser.

Thank you.

Emotions

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:6)

Loyal Member
Sue,
I love you and everybody in Christ, I have no emotional hangups. Am I saying I do not have to practice and continue to exercise the resisting of emotions, no; I have to practice daily; but I know and see who i'm wrestling with, and it's not a human being. When the devil presents anger, lust, fear or greif in my spirit, it's foreign to me because i've been practising for so long and i'm not comfortable with it, so I will not justify anything contrary to peace..

We really cannot agree to disagree because you haven't given me that opportunity; not with you, but with God's word. You have not given me any scriptural references where I can disagree with you based on the question I asked. If God's word says, He created man with emotions, or God put anger, lust, fear and grief in man, or anything in that context, then I have the option to agree to disagree with the references; but you haven't allowed me that. As far as disagreeing with a person; life is what it is.

1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

1Co 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

Sue, this is not between me and you to create wisdom; or any other person; but it's what God's view is.

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shall love thy neighbour as thyself.

Mat 5:43 You have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Loyal Member
Isn't 'love' an emotion? As per your Gal. 5:14 and Matthew 5:43

I've experienced a great deal of emotion during these past weeks. Have done a lot of crying. Tears can help heal. It's part of how God has made us.

Loyal Member
Hello Sue,
No, Godly love is not emotional, but fleshly or worldly love is. (this does not mean that God frown at emotions; He does not) as long as they do not interfere with you loving Him according to His word.

Galatians 5:14 and Matthew 5:43 is Agape Love. This love is not emotional though people act as if it is (that's another story). We are to love our neighbor with agape love as well as God. Our neighbor also becomes our mate, husband or wife with this type of love; which also tuns into Phileo love. There are other types of love scripture talks about, but it's an elementary love. A love of sex, carnal affection. etc. But it is allowed in its place. In Christ we learn to grow from certain types of love into something more stable as agapa love. Phileo love is a love of friendship which can also be emotional, it's in the cagegory of worldly anger, lust, fear and greif. We haven't talked much about the nature of good; only evil. The conversation of good emotions is confusing without understanding the thorough foudation of evil emotions.

G25 (Greek definition of love)
agapaō
Perhaps from ἄγαν agan (much; or compare [H5689]); to love (in a social or moral sense): - (be-) love (-ed).

This definition is for "love" referncing the scriptures you presented above.

Loyal Member
I know you're writing / sharing all of this with really good intentions. But I'm finding it very hard to deal with your view of what you consider to be 'fleshly' emotions that somehow are not God given and good for us.
God created Adam and Eve to live forever and produce many children over their life time. He was pleased with 'our' creation. After all He made us just the way He wanted us. Eating of the fruit of the tree against His will did Not result in mankind getting emotions. We simply learned about good and evil in All areas of living. We all have unique personalities. Some people are very demonstrative in public and some aren't. I'm not.

And, yes, there Are the various kinds of 'love'. Many years ago I gave a devotional to the women in our church on the subject.

People cry in happiness, sorrow, frustrations.

People Laugh at funny , nice, clean jokes, at the cute things little kids do, and people Also laugh At people in meanness.

And we Also get Mad , highly frustrated sometimes. And That's when we need to be careful -- my body does Not touch another person when I'm mad. Righteous indignation.

I just don't agree with your approach to this entire subject.

I'm dealing with this being the third week since my husband's passing. He managed our finances -- very well. My daughter has been helping navigate that part of life. She's wonderful with it.

so -- will simply not continue here.

Isn't 'love' an emotion? As per your Gal. 5:14 and Matthew 5:43

I've experienced a great deal of emotion during these past weeks. Have done a lot of crying. Tears can help heal. It's part of how God has made us.
Don't really want to resurrect this thread regarding the emotions debate, but Sue, just wanted to say hello and I hope you are doing ok. I know you are just starting your grieving process. I trust that you are experiencing the comfort of God in very tangible ways (He really is so close to the brokenhearted). I just thought of this as I started typing....my sister found a GriefShare group and has really good things to say about it. I went through DivorceCare (same people, I think, that created GriefShare) and was extremely impressed with the program. Just thought I'd mention to you. Love and hugs

When emotions are troubling you, no matter how uncontrollable they may be or frightening in being so unpredictable, ask Jesus for help in discerning the cause and reflecting on His words to be able to turn them over to Him.