• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Do you have to go to church to be saved

Do you have to go to church to be saved

• Yes

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 24 88.9%

• Total voters
Loyal
Not in the RC sense.
It is a mortal sin if you don't go to Mass.

But it is one thing to believe the gospel and act on that
and then comes the requirement to walk the walk
God has designed his church to be a communion of believers
the body of Christ needs to work together in order for us to grow
and learn and mature unto "perfection"
if you hate your brother or sister then your religion is futile

We practice love and mercy and forgiveness and also esteeming others
through our life in a congregation
Have I had my toes stepped on? Yes!
Have I been offended and hurt? Yes!
Have I wronged another? Let's not go there.

How can I practice Christian love and solidarity and learn to become
an overcomer if I am not challenged in my day to day walk and faith?

Praying about my hurts and disappointments is fundamental to my walk
in the Spirit.

No, the LORD has told us what is good. What he requires of us is this: to do what is just,
to show constant love, and to live in humble fellowship with our God.
Micah 6:8 (GNB)
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly,
and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? (KJV)

Let us not give up the habit of meeting together, as some are doing. Instead, let us encourage one another
all the more, since you see that the Day of the Lord is coming nearer.
Hebrews 10:25 (GNB)
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another:
and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. (KJV)

Not exactly. I believe it all comes down to your rationality as a human being, as in, your emotion, mental, and physical health.
Just balance yourself out, and it's all uphill from there.

Active
No you can be saved right where you are but to have fellowship its good to go to church.

When we are saved we are added to the flock. Jesus likened believers to sheep. So when we are safe (and saved) we are all together in flocks or herds, not all by ourselves. Its more fun to be in fellowship than to be in 'aloneship'

Not exactly. I believe it all comes down to your rationality as a human being, as in, your emotion, mental, and physical health.
Just balance yourself out, and it's all uphill from there.

I'm lost on that Jayson.. However, to answer the original question, no emphatically NO. I was saved in prison almost 3 years ago. It was a VERY powerful experience for me. I've shed so many tears in the ~3 years since, I could probably fill a one gallon bottle with them. You can get saved ANYWHERE. I didn't even know what it meant to be saved as it was not a term I was used to. I just found myself on my knees crying out to God to save me and I told Him I'd do ANYTHING He wanted and go wherever He wanted me to go IF He would get me out of the mess I was in -- of course He did. He's given me an intense desire to know Him and He's taken my wildest faith fantasies of things beyond this world and given them to me magnified 100% at least. He knows exactly what makes you tick, your desires, your hurts, He sees ALL that you do -- EVERY moment of the day. There's NO place to hide from Him..

Loyal
I'm lost on that Jayson.. However, to answer the original question, no emphatically NO. I was saved in prison almost 3 years ago. It was a VERY powerful experience for me. I've shed so many tears in the ~3 years since, I could probably fill a one gallon bottle with them. You can get saved ANYWHERE. I didn't even know what it meant to be saved as it was not a term I was used to. I just found myself on my knees crying out to God to save me and I told Him I'd do ANYTHING He wanted and go wherever He wanted me to go IF He would get me out of the mess I was in -- of course He did. He's given me an intense desire to know Him and He's taken my wildest faith fantasies of things beyond this world and given them to me magnified 100% at least. He knows exactly what makes you tick, your desires, your hurts, He sees ALL that you do -- EVERY moment of the day. There's NO place to hide from Him..
I was saved in a bar... Still....one should go to a good bible believing, bible preaching church in order to have support of a good pastor and other bible believing believers.... When I say 'believing' I mean they should be walking in it, or are they really believers?

Staff Member
Greetings,

May the peace, joy, understanding, and love of our Lord Jesus Christ be unto you. I humbly and gladly will give you an answer, if you can answer mine.

thank you for your kind blessing.
I shall do so. I am about to go to a Gospel meeting and might be able to address your question after that - no promises.
If i may, quickly, the words/idea of 'go to church' is what stumps me. A yes no answer is difficult without further understanding of what 'go to church' means.

Thank you again ....><>

Greetings,

thank you for your kind blessing.
I shall do so. I am about to go to a Gospel meeting and might be able to address your question after that - no promises.
If i may, quickly, the words/idea of 'go to church' is what stumps me. A yes no answer is difficult without further understanding of what 'go to church' means.

Thank you again ....><>

Perhaps a rewording of the question would be more blatantly understood if it were asked like this, Do you feel as though you are not covered spiritually if you are not part of a church fellowship?

Romans 10 tells us all about salvation and it does not mention going to church. What if you were disabled in the 1800s before technology and couldn't go to church, and nobody would carry you? You could still read your Bible (though independent reading was not really a big thing then), and could still believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord.

Loyal
I don't think you have to go to a building that says "Church" on the front of it, if that's what you mean.

But on the other hand, none of us "alone" is the church. The church is the body of believes all over the world.
But we can't live in isolation from them.

So I believe we have to be part of a "group of believers". You can call that a church if you want to.

1 Cor 12:13; For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.
1 Cor 12:14; For the body is not one member, but many.

Heb 10:25; not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

John 13:14; "If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.

John 13:35; "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Rom 12:10; Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor;

Rom 14:19; So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.

Rom 15:14; And concerning you, my brethren, I myself also am convinced that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge and able also to admonish one another.

Gal 5:13; For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

Gal 6:2; Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.

Eph 4:32; Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.

1 Thes 4:18; Therefore comfort one another with these words.

1 Thes 5:11; Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing.

1 Thes 5:13; and that you esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Live in peace with one another.

Jas 5:16; Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

1 Pet 4:9; Be hospitable to one another without complaint.

All of these verses are about "another" person besides yourself. Canb't do any of these verses if you are all alone on an island.

1 Cor 12:18; But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired.
1 Cor 12:19; If they were all one member, where would the body be?
1 Cor 12:20; But now there are many members, but one body.

Eph 3:6; to be specific, that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel,

Eph 5:23; For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.
Eph 5:24; But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.

Col 1:24; Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions.

We can't even love one another... if there are no "others" in the body around you.

I don't think you have to go to a building that says "Church" on the front of it, if that's what you mean.

But on the other hand, none of us "alone" is the church. The church is the body of believes all over the world.
But we can't live in isolation from them.

So I believe we have to be part of a "group of believers". You can call that a church if you want to.

1 Cor 12:13; For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.
1 Cor 12:14; For the body is not one member, but many.

Heb 10:25; not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

John 13:14; "If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.

John 13:35; "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Rom 12:10; Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor;

Rom 14:19; So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.

Rom 15:14; And concerning you, my brethren, I myself also am convinced that you yourselves are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge and able also to admonish one another.

Gal 5:13; For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

Gal 6:2; Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.

Eph 4:32; Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.

1 Thes 4:18; Therefore comfort one another with these words.

1 Thes 5:11; Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing.

1 Thes 5:13; and that you esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Live in peace with one another.

Jas 5:16; Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

1 Pet 4:9; Be hospitable to one another without complaint.

All of these verses are about "another" person besides yourself. Canb't do any of these verses if you are all alone on an island.

1 Cor 12:18; But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired.
1 Cor 12:19; If they were all one member, where would the body be?
1 Cor 12:20; But now there are many members, but one body.

Eph 3:6; to be specific, that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel,

Eph 5:23; For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.
Eph 5:24; But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.

Col 1:24; Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ's afflictions.

We can't even love one another... if there are no "others" in the body around you.

What I mean is that it does not mention going to a church building and partaking in fellowship, as I mentioned the example and so on and so forth. :) But we should still surround ourselves by godly people as best as we can, though we should also befriend unsaved people in order to help witness, but that is another conversation. It is necessary to go to church to grow, I believe.

Now, I wanted to address something in direct message, but your profile is not receiving message requests, would you mind me speaking publicly or messaging me? Thanks.

Tp be a Christian is to enter the corporate Body of Christ (see e.g. 1 Corinthians 12) and then both function as a Body part (= metaphorically "hands, feet, eyes," etc.) and benefit and interact with other Body parts. The most obvious way to discover and fulfill your unique role in this Body is to attend a church. But there are other ways to fulfill this role such as joining a prayer or Bible study group. So if, for some reason, you choose to ignore the NT command: "Forsake not the assembling of yourselves together, as is the habit of some" (Hebrews 10:25), then you need to prayerfully seek God's will as to whether your reason is acceptable to Him. On the other hand, as evangelist Billy Sunday used to preach, "Being in a church don't make you a Christian any more than being in a garage makes you a car!"