• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Do you have a tatoo?

Do you have a tatoo/tatoo's

• Yes since being saved

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Yes prior to being saved

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Yes I am not a Christian

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • No

Votes: 26 65.0%

• Total voters
Staff Member
Do you have a tatoo?
Why?
Recent?
Old?
Regrets?

Just about every second person one passes in the street seems to be tatooed
Ladies just as much as gentlemen these days

Lately I am seeing more and more people with Bible verse tatoo's declaring their faith

For the record I do not have tatoo's and believe the Bible is clear on these issues

Just for interest and scriptural advice.....not heavy debate or dispute

Do you have a tatoo?
Why?
Recent?
Old?
Regrets?

Just about every second person one passes in the street seems to be tatooed
Ladies just as much as gentlemen these days

Lately I am seeing more and more people with Bible verse tatoo's declaring their faith

For the record I do not have tatoo's and believe the Bible is clear on these issues

Just for interest and scriptural advice.....not heavy debate or dispute
I have one tattoo that I did myself. I want to paint over it though, I might do that one day.

Loyal
I dont have any, and would not want to have one. That being said, scripture that speaks against it is in the OT, and we are to not to live by the law, but by faith. There were very few things requested of non-jews to adhere to, and this was not one of them.

Loyal
Have the so called jail house tattoos from back in the 70's.
Girls name, cross, peace sign and some letters in which I have no clue to what I was thinking.

Regrets? OHHH YEAH!

Loyal
Lev 19:28; You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the Lord.

This verse is controversial, but I will be honest. It's not the "main" reason I don't have any.

Years ago... before I was really walking with the Lord, there was a young lady where I worked. She often wore back-less halter tops.
Every guy in his 20's (including me) thought she was.... ummmm.... perfect. :)

I caught guys staring at her back more than a few times... in fact it's possible I might have been guilty of this. :)
Now in case you were wondering what they were really looking at... she was usually sitting down with her back to a "glass-less" window.
So it really was her back.

One cold winter day she comes in with a jacket on.... so the guys gather around waiting for her to take it off.
I have seen this dozens of times, so it's nothing new. But this day... they all walk away grumbling, and shaking their heads.
I can't imagine why.

So I go look myself.... sure enough she has this huge tattoo across her back, easily a foot wide.
Like one of the guys that passed me earlier said... "she just ruined perfection". I had to agree.

I've never seen a tattoo in my life, that I ever thought made anyone look better. But I've seen quite a few that made them... ummmm...
not quite as good as before.

Beside, I've always wondered about people who have "sex change" operations and "plastic surgery" and "nose jobs".
I guess they think God didn't do a good enough job when he made them... so they can do "better than God".
Most people I know that have tattoos, think it makes them "better" somehow.

I don't have any, but I do love tattoos so long as they are in good taste. I do plan on getting some. My husband has a few. I am the only one in my family that doesn't have one!

Dad never had tattoos. I think is biggest reason why i have none. Normally I hate tattoos especially on someone I would want to be in a long term monogamous relationship with. They come off as dangerous, exciting, and reckless which is quite the opposite of me minus reckless at times. . Tattoos have gotten more popular over the years. Media promotion. At one point it seemed to be more exclusive to the questionable crowd. It seems to make some people feel more empowered, intimidating, cool or standout from the crowd I believe.

Staff Member
I like the "lick" on kind! :smile:

Yes the children's ones that wash off! They were good fun.:smile:

Nearly everyone you pass in the street here has tatoo's........young, old, male, female
My younger children are beginning to view it as the normal thing that grown ups do.

No but I’m really interested in getting one of a water colored Koi fish on either my lower back or my shoulder, somewhere hidden so that I could still get a job. Koj fish are said to be symbols of strength and perseverance, and, in these trying times, I feel like it’s fitting, and beautiful.

I got a part time job just so that I could save up for a cool dragon tattoo that covers my entire back. I've been saved since I was a child, but even then I never saw an issue with tattoos. A lot of people misinterpret that verse from Leviticus as a clear, cut and dry law that forbids modern christians from having tattoos, but in reality that law was used to separate the Israelites from pagan nations, who used tattoos to mark themselves with pagan ideas and whatnot. I like to tell people that if we can't have tattoos, as the verse states, then that means we can't cut our hair, just as the verse right below it says.

No but I’m really interested in getting one of a water colored Koi fish on either my lower back or my shoulder, somewhere hidden so that I could still get a job. Koj fish are said to be symbols of strength and perseverance, and, in these trying times, I feel like it’s fitting, and beautiful.
That sounds like a beautiful idea. I hope you go through with it :)

Staff Member

the outward markings will profit a man nothing.
Christianity is about inside out not outside in

Bless you ....><>

the outward markings will profit a man nothing.
Christianity is about inside out not outside in

Bless you ....><>
Then by that logic then men shouldn’t get hair cuts, or women shouldn’t wear earrings or makeup.
people are naturally creative beings, and I think it’s beautiful how we manage to find ways to decorate our bodies and make them into certain aesthetics.
Sure, Christianity is concerned mostly with what’s internal, but that statement has nothing to do with tattoos or any other body adornments. In fact, it insinuates that Christians should just walk around looking plain; no make up, no earrings, no fashion sense. I mean, after all, who cares about outside appearances when it’s all about the inside that counts?

Staff Member
Greetings,

give me a man who does adorn the doctrine of God our Savior in all things and i will show you a man most beautiful, a man that no outward appearance could enhance

Bless you ....><>

Greetings,

give me a man who does adorn the doctrine of God our Savior in all things and i will show you a man most beautiful, a man that no outward appearance could enhance

Bless you ....><>
A youth pastor at my church was one of the most influential men I have ever met, and his arms were completely covered in these beautiful tattoos, so I guess he was both beautiful in the outside and out :)

Active
Then by that logic then men shouldn’t get hair cuts, or women shouldn’t wear earrings or makeup.
people are naturally creative beings, and I think it’s beautiful how we manage to find ways to decorate our bodies and make them into certain aesthetics.
Sure, Christianity is concerned mostly with what’s internal, but that statement has nothing to do with tattoos or any other body adornments. In fact, it insinuates that Christians should just walk around looking plain; no make up, no earrings, no fashion sense. I mean, after all, who cares about outside appearances when it’s all about the inside that counts?
I am a tattooed Christian and I would that I wasn't, but thank God he doesn't hold our misspent youths against us. I was 14 when I allowed someone to practise their (substandard) artistic skills on my body. Needless to say I was severely spanked for my lack of wisdom, by my father (with his belt). Being tattooed has been a major regret throughout my life, I am now two years off eighty, most of the time I am unaware of the scribbles and then someone will comment and I go through my regrets again. I find nothing more beautiful that a body, male or female, of the Lord's design. No tattoos, no metal, no hair dye, no make up. Beautiful. When I eventually receive my new body, I will take more care of it. Helen and I have been together for 53 years and we probably would be seen by the young as wrinkleys but when I look into her eyes and see the love in them it inevitably moves me to tears. I would counsel anyone to hang on in there through the crap and the pain, because, when you come out the other side, it gets better and better.

Active
So this pretty girl get a cute flower tatt on her upper shoulder. She finds dress she loves now half the flower is covered and it looks dumb. Maybe a sleeve tatt and again it is cut off by a shirt sleeve . I dont see a Biblical reason for no tats in all things moderation but they just dont look good . As sexist as it is they are not so bad on a guy.

Active
So this pretty girl get a cute flower tatt on her upper shoulder. She finds dress she loves now half the flower is covered and it looks dumb. Maybe a sleeve tatt and again it is cut off by a shirt sleeve . I dont see a Biblical reason for no tats in all things moderation but they just dont look good . As sexist as it is they are not so bad on a guy.
Hi Reba1, how about Leviticus 19 ; 28, Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord. Bless you.