• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Can you be a Christian without loving your neighbor?

Loyal
Has love conquered satan? Pls no spiritual mish mash of an answer, has the love of Christ turned satan into a christian?

the difference is that satan can not repent, as long as a human being is alive they can repent and there is hope for them

I was just reading of similar examples given by you, in a book called tortured for Christ, amazing to see the true love Of saints, more worried about the people that are torturing them, then they are worried about being tortured,
I know right? I am reading a fantastic book right now called " Jesus Freaks" that tells stories of martyrs throughout history including the Apostles about people persecuted and killed for Jesus. Some of these people, including children were very brave and glad to die for Christ, for they felt it they had to live their lives without Him then it wasn't worth living. I feel the same way.

I was saying that to point out that love doesnt conquer all. Would you say that it does?
I would say if that it does. Loving Satan will not conquer him but God's love for us will. If God comes to hate Satan for what he has done, it is only because He loved him first. All emotions stem from love whether directly or indirectly. Satan only hates us so much because of how much he loves himself.

Active
I'm pretty sure most of us will say you have to love God/Jesus, but can you be a Christian without loving your neighbor?
Not possible to always be able to show love to your neighbor but at least with His help, do unto them as you would want them to do unto you, and go the extra mile as the Lord leads if the neighbor is an enemy.

Romans 12:14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. 15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. 16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. 17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. 20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Sometimes the best love one can do towards an evil neighbor is to leave them alone & just pray for them and trust God to provide the opportunity to do good as a good neighbor .
Can you love your neighbor if you live as a recluse or hermit?

Luke 10:29-36
When enemies sows discord between you & any one where ever you go... you can spare people the tactics & temptations of the enemy. That is showing love for your neighbor.

Active
I think B-A-C Love your Neighbor as you love yourself, so how much do we love ourselves??? LOL (Rom 12:3) Same way I look at everyone bro.

Active
I think B-A-C Love your Neighbor as you love yourself, so how much do we love ourselves??? LOL (Rom 12:3) Same way I look at everyone bro.
@B-A-C @DieAmartyr @Brad Huber

Good thing no matter what we think of ourselves, even when we were sinners, God loves us.

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. 19 We love him, because he first loved us.

1 Timothy 1:14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. 15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. 16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

1 John 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. 19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him. 20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. 21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. 22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. 23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. 24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Even when we see we are not abiding in Him as we ought to, we can always go before that throne of grace for help in times of need ( Hebrews 4:12-16 ), even when it is against our flesh to love our enemies as He does.

Loyal
Good thing no matter what we think of ourselves, even when we were sinners, God loves us.

That's all fine and great, but the "Love" of God, is not the "Salvation" of God.
As you say, God loves even sinners (the un-saved).

Active
That's all fine and great, but the "Love" of God, is not the "Salvation" of God.
As you say, God loves even sinners (the un-saved).
The point here is the example Jesus as God has set for loving others and we cannot do that by the flesh but by His grace & by His help as His love for others in us is the only way we can love others as we should. And when we find ourselves that we can't or unwilling, we can always go before that throne of grace and ask for help in times of need to love our enemies, even to forgive them from afar for they know not what they do " if " that is all the Lord is leading us to do.

Active
To me love is very hard to define. Was it love when Jesus made a weapon of warfare? (John 2:15) Was it love which killed Ananias and Sapphira? (Acts 5:1-11) Many after this have done the very same thing and they are not dead. SO? Is this fair? Is this loving? Was it love when Jesus allowed Peter to cut the ear off a soldier (John 18:10-11) Jesus knew Peter would do this, why did he not stop him before he did it? Now do not get me wrong!!

I am not judging Jesus whatsoever!! BUT many who would be newcomers to the faith may just have the same questions, so how would you answer these people? To me there is one word which to me defines the word love, and that would be loyalty!!Being loyal no matter what beats out love to me, because love can change if one is not loyal as Jesus showed himself. Let's look at how the Lord defines love. (1 Cor 13:4-9)

The key for me about these verses lies in verse 9 We only know love in part, and that I really agree with! I cannot tell people I love them, because that would be a lie, I can tell them I love them in part. The part I believe I understand. I have much to learn about this subject. Growing up as a kid we were never allowed to hug or kiss anyone!

Dad would greet the people he somewhat cared for by nodding his head in acknowledgement but kept his space apart from them. Dad would say you really never know who you can actually trust in! And how often was Jesus himself ever touched by another? Only John!! (John 13:21-26) Notice Peter asked him, but it was only when John asked him did, he answer. WHY?? Anyway, I have wrestled with this all of my life. Even us old dogs in the faith know only in part!!

Active
To me love is very hard to define. Was it love when Jesus made a weapon of warfare? (John 2:15)
Love for the Father and love for sinners to punish them to stop them from doing that, even if it was for a day. The whip was more like a rod for punishment than a weapon used to kill.
Was it love which killed Ananias and Sapphira? (Acts 5:1-11)
God was showing love for those around them as their secret was out that they had actually thought they could lie to God and not just to the new believers around them in what they were giving to charity. uch a lie could spread in that new community of 5,000 believers from the prior event in Acts 4 and serve as its undoing.
Many after this have done the very same thing and they are not dead. SO? Is this fair? Is this loving?
Probably not so much as what was happening in Acts 4 & 5 One can look at backsliding Israel in the O.T. for why some harsh judgements were done and why in other cases judgments was delayed or deferred.
Was it love when Jesus allowed Peter to cut the ear off a soldier (John 18:10-11) Jesus knew Peter would do this, why did he not stop him before he did it? Now do not get me wrong!!
To show Jesus healing the ear of one of His captors so that the night in question was not in doubt that Jesus allowed Him to be taken, but to leave no doubt that He was being taken by force.

John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
I am not judging Jesus whatsoever!! BUT many who would be newcomers to the faith may just have the same questions, so how would you answer these people?
I can only hope in the Lord He helped me to answer those questions.
To me there is one word which to me defines the word love, and that would be loyalty!!Being loyal no matter what beats out love to me, because love can change if one is not loyal as Jesus showed himself. Let's look at how the Lord defines love. (1 Cor 13:4-9)

The key for me about these verses lies in verse 9 We only know love in part, and that I really agree with! I cannot tell people I love them, because that would be a lie, I can tell them I love them in part. The part I believe I understand. I have much to learn about this subject. Growing up as a kid we were never allowed to hug or kiss anyone!

Dad would greet the people he somewhat cared for by nodding his head in acknowledgement but kept his space apart from them. Dad would say you really never know who you can actually trust in! And how often was Jesus himself ever touched by another? Only John!! (John 13:21-26) Notice Peter asked him, but it was only when John asked him did, he answer. WHY?? Anyway, I have wrestled with this all of my life. Even us old dogs in the faith know only in part!!
I believe the reason why Peter had asked John was because he was closest to Jesus to hear the answer quietly as to who would betray Him.

John 13:21 When Jesus had thus said, he was troubled in spirit, and testified, and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me. 22 Then the disciples looked one on another, doubting of whom he spake. 23 Now there was leaning on Jesus' bosom one of his disciples, whom Jesus loved. 24 Simon Peter therefore beckoned to him, that he should ask who it should be of whom he spake. 25 He then lying on Jesus' breast saith unto him, Lord, who is it? 26 Jesus answered, He it is, to whom I shall give a sop, when I have dipped it. And when he had dipped the sop, he gave it to Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon.

I do not believe it was because Jesus was only close to John. This reference would suggest that He did not trust any of them and why should He when He foreknew they would all scatter after His arrest & crucified as prophesied?

John 2:23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. 24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men, 25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

Matthew 26:31 Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad. 32 But after I am risen again, I will go before you into Galilee.

His love for us that got Him through this ordeal.

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

John 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Active
It was never said that Jesus used the whip, and I do not think he did, however people have died by the whip, so I believe Jesus was just showing how angry he had become at that sight. let's see next statement. You said God was showing his love for those around him. Humm that did not help the couple though!!! LOL

That might be a stretch bro. But ok. Backsliding??? You're a Baptist, aren't you?? lol to me there is no such word, either you are a believer, or you are not a believer. There is no try with me, try never did anything. Hehe Not being mean bro!! Just having some fun with you is all. Backsliding, like Rapture is not mentioned. Now I know, you can show scripture to base your belief on!! I am just saying those words used by man are not in the Bible, one can make it fit their doctrine!! No question I found out much in my 69 years brother, much was not easy to swallow either!

To me brother as I was taught by Holy Spirit himself, (1 John 2:27) Man made doctrine is just that, to me the Words of God says what it means and means what it says. Now others can sure not agree!! No Problem but as for me the Lord has always proved true to my life, and I am SO THANKFUL!! Indeed, we can only hope in the Lord that we answer through him!! Good one their brother!! Thanks for taking your time on some interesting answers!

Active
It was never said that Jesus used the whip, and I do not think he did, however people have died by the whip, so I believe Jesus was just showing how angry he had become at that sight.
John 2:14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: 15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; 16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.

Sounds like He made a whip from small cords to drive them out of the temple.
let's see next statement. You said God was showing his love for those around him. Humm that did not help the couple though!!! LOL
I believe what those two were doing, others knew. So their idea that they can fool God in their giving is what required a strong measure to warn others they can't lie to God. Here is a new community of believers and this couple was not private about their disrespect towards God as if they can lie to the Holy Ghost about what they give. Obviously, God saw that they were not going to repent and called them home early to prevent that sin from tempting others.
That might be a stretch bro. But ok. Backsliding??? You're a Baptist, aren't you?? lol to me there is no such word, either you are a believer, or you are not a believer. There is no try with me, try never did anything. Hehe Not being mean bro!! Just having some fun with you is all. Backsliding, like Rapture is not mentioned. Now I know, you can show scripture to base your belief on!! I am just saying those words used by man are not in the Bible, one can make it fit their doctrine!! No question I found out much in my 69 years brother, much was not easy to swallow either!
The prophet Jeremiah and Hosea used the term in regards to Israel. Link to search result for backsliding -------> Bible Gateway Search Result for Backsliding
To me brother as I was taught by Holy Spirit himself, (1 John 2:27) Man made doctrine is just that, to me the Words of God says what it means and means what it says. Now others can sure not agree!! No Problem but as for me the Lord has always proved true to my life, and I am SO THANKFUL!! Indeed, we can only hope in the Lord that we answer through him!! Good one their brother!! Thanks for taking your time on some interesting answers!
We prophesy in part and know in part and so we are always leaning no matter how long we have been believers in Jesus Christ. When we are perfect by Him and seeing Him face to face, I believe we shall know all things.

Active
WOW Bro!!!! I never saw that before backsliding in Jermiah!!!!!!!!!! I use the New American Standard Version myself. So cool! When I first came to the Lord GodB4US I was given the K.J When I started reading from it to me it seemed to be for everyone but me lol, I told my Paster this version with all the thy, and thou shalt, I do not get it, Pastor said that is because you are simple (LOL )

here take the NAS, I prayed to the Lord if this was an ok version,2 days later I had my bible on the porch, and it started to rain, just before I could pick it up, I kid you not!! Lighting struck my Bible!!! LOL, I said thanks Lord for blessing it!! LOL And so dear brother this Bible works for me. Thanks again for your interest!!

Active
WOW Bro!!!! I never saw that before backsliding in Jermiah!!!!!!!!!!
I can learn something new any day and today in the Lord myself regarding seeing verse 2 f Isaiah 61:1-2 for the point of truth in this thread Jesus Was Not Baptized With the Holy Ghost At His Water Baptism for His Ministry
I use the New American Standard Version myself. So cool! When I first came to the Lord GodB4US I was given the K.J When I started reading from it to me it seemed to be for everyone but me lol, I told my Paster this version with all the thy, and thou shalt, I do not get it, Pastor said that is because you are simple (LOL )
I understand the KJV just fine when I rely on the Lord for His wisdom in understanding His words. FYI
here take the NAS, I prayed to the Lord if this was an ok version,2 days later I had my bible on the porch, and it started to rain, just before I could pick it up, I kid you not!! Lighting struck my Bible!!! LOL, I said thanks Lord for blessing it!! LOL And so dear brother this Bible works for me. Thanks again for your interest!!
I did use the NASB at one time, but the reason I rely on the KJV rather than the NASB, was that it did not have Jesus words in its entirety in this one reference.

Matthew 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. KJV

Matthew 5:22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be answerable to the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘[b]You good-for-nothing,’ shall be answerable to [c]the supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the [d]fiery hell. NASB

I actually believed it was wrong to be angry with any one. The footnotes in this NASB did not have any indication that "without cause" was originally scripture at Bible Gateway; Comparing KJV with NASB of Matthew 5:22

Even though my Sunday school teachers did point out Paul's words in the NASB...

Ephesians 4:26Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: KJV

Ephesians 4:26Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, NASB

I doubted Paul's words and played it safe but if I had checked with the KJV, then I would have known better since Paul's words in Ephesians 4:26 did align with His words in Matthew 5:22 in the KJV

Then I noticed other discrepancy in the NASB when correcting false teachings for why I rely only on the KJV for the meat of His words to discern good & evil by.

For the false teaching of "we are not saved yet but in the process of being saved" I find that those in error will use the 1 Corinthians 1;18 in the NASB to support that false teaching even though it does not align with verse 21 in the NASB whereas verse 18 aligns with verse 21 in the KJV.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God....21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. KJV

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who [a]are perishing, but to us who [b]are being saved it is the power of God. ....21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God [a]was pleased through the foolishness of the [b]message preached to save those who believe. NASB

For the false teaching of the Holy Spirit turning God's gift of tongues around from speaking unto the people for His own use in speaking His own intercessions back to God ....

All Bibles has this truth in John 16:18 that the Holy Spirit cannot speak anything from Himself, but speak only the words of what He hears...

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. KJV

John 16:13 But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. NASB

Now the truth in John 16:13 aligns with the KJV but not with the NASB.

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. KJV

Romans 8:26 Now in the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know what to pray for as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with [a]groanings too deep for words; 27 and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the [b]saints according to the will of God. NASB

In the KJV, the Holy Spirit cannot even utter His own groanings but yet in the NASB, He can utter groanings from Himself that are too deep for words? It is not the truth in the NASB.

Anyway, I hope in the Lord that you may see why I rely on the KJV now rather than the NASB for the truth in His words & so I hope the next time you use the KJV, trust Jesus Christ as your personal Good Shepherd to help you understand and see the truth in His words in the KJV.

You can continue to use the NASB for preaching the gospel to others but if you get stuck trying to correct someone from the NASB that you know that person is believing a false teaching, then check with the KJV and see if He helps show the truth in His words to correct others by in the KJV.

May God bless you & keep you. May He shine His face upon you & give you His peace.