• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Loyal
Matt 12:24; But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, "This man casts out demons only by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons."
Matt 12:25; And knowing their thoughts Jesus said to them, "Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste; and any city or house divided against itself will not stand.
Matt 12:26; "If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then will his kingdom stand?
Matt 12:27; "If I by Beelzebul cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? For this reason they will be your judges.
Matt 12:28; "But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.
Matt 12:29; "Or how can anyone enter the strong man's house and carry off his property, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house.
Matt 12:30; "He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me scatters.
Matt 12:31; "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.
Matt 12:32; "Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

The Pharisee were accusing Jesus of casting out demons by the power of Satan.
Jesus replies that if Satan fights against himself, his kingdom will not stand.
Jesus then says "If I cast out demons by the Spirit of God".. then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

So which did Jesus really do? Cast out demons by the power of Satan, or by the power of God?
Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is saying something done by God was done by the devil.
..or...
Saying something done by Satan was actually done by God.

This story is repeated in Mark.

Mark 3:22; The scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, "He is possessed by Beelzebul," and "He casts out the demons by the ruler of the demons."
Mark 3:23; And He called them to Himself and began speaking to them in parables, "How can Satan cast out Satan?
Mark 3:24; "If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
Mark 3:25; "If a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand.
Mark 3:26; "If Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but he is finished!
Mark 3:27; "But no one can enter the strong man's house and plunder his property unless he first binds the strong man, and then he will plunder his house.
Mark 3:28; "Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter;
Mark 3:29; but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin"—
Mark 3:30; because they were saying, "He has an unclean spirit."

Did Jesus have an unclean spirit, or the Spirit of God? Accusing something of being done by the wrong spirit
is blasphemy of the Spirit.

Active
Is there an example in the Bible of someone who did this? Apart from those Pharisees.

What would be an example today. Would it be muslims and jews attitude toward christians. Or something else. They do have this mindset that anyone who is not muslim or jewish is unclean..? Ie. infidels, goys, etc.
or is it within the church how some people dont believe Jesus can heal and deliver people. Or would it be psychiatrists who dont believe in God and His almighty power and get people to take insane amounts of drugs and expensive therapies, and with these same drugs warn people they might have suicidal thoughts when taking them.
?!

Loyal
the the thing I see people worried about are thoughts of blasphemy of the Spirit that some experience.

Active
I have encountered a lot of OCD christians online who have intrusive thoughts related to this. But they dont speak these thoughts do they, they just think them.

OCD is not the same as Tourettes though and thats when people cant stop cursing/ saying profanities right?

Active
Accusing something of being done by the wrong spirit
is blasphemy of the Spirit.
Could be but the more exact definition of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, is simply put the rejection of Jesus Christ , resulting subsequently in unbelief and loss of salvation.

Active
I have encountered a lot of OCD christians online who have intrusive thoughts related to this. But they dont speak these thoughts do they, they just think them.

OCD is not the same as Tourettes though and thats when people cant stop cursing/ saying profanities right?
What does any of this have to do with Obsessive Compulsion Disorder?

Active
People that write they have intrusive thoughts and worry about blaspheming the holy spirit in so many cases admit they have OCD, its a recognised disorder. They dont want to think it but they feel they cant control these thoughts. Its not from themselves, I would say its demonic, but You can LEARN to control unwanted thoughts and also renew your mind, by being careful or discern what goes in.eg dont passively watch tv, is one thing you can do.
Im not an expert but children get exposed to tv at very early age and often they get shown graphic violence. Arguments and nudity before even reaching puberty. Which is stupid, its bad enough in real life why would you want to watch that kind of stuff on tv.

Active
It
Could be but the more exact definition of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, is simply put the rejection of Jesus Christ , resulting subsequently in unbelief and loss of salvation.
Hmm is that really it because Jesus himself said it wasnt' its specifically blasphemy of the HOLY SPIRIT not blasphemy of Jesus, although you could spilt hairs and say son of Man means just Jesus the man, not Jesus the messiah/christ. But if so then WE couldnt be forgiven because many people might have denied Christ before they became a christian...even Peter did and he WAS forgiven. See Matthew 12:32

Active

Agreed. There is a way to tie up rejection of Jesus with blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Active
I think its more serious than rejecting Jesus its insulting and accusing the power of holy spirit.
Or maybe you didnt read my post or the bible Peter denied and publically rejected Jesus yet was forgiven.

Is this topic being highlighted for any particular reason? The bible clearly means what it says, we dont have to make it say what it doesnt mean.

Active
its specifically blasphemy of the HOLY SPIRIT not blasphemy of Jesus,

HMMM! Sorry, you may need to read more of the Bible, If you are a true Christian, Jesus is in you!
  • But if Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is life because of righteousness.”Romans 8:10
  • But when it pleased God…to reveal His Son in me.”Galatians 1:15-16
  • I am crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me.”Galatians 2:20
  • My children, with whom I travail again in birth until Christ is formed in you.”Galatians 4:19
  • That Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith.”Ephesians 3:17
  • Christ in you, the hope of glory.”Colossians 1:27
  • Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?
    2 Corinthians 13:5

Loyal
HMMM! Sorry, you may need to read more of the Bible, If you are a true Christian, Jesus is in you!

So is the Holy Spirit

John 3:5; Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Without the Holy Spirit you cannot enter the kingdom of God.

John 14:17; that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.

Acts; 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.

Acts 4:8; Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, "Rulers and elders of the people

Rom 8:11; But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

1 Cor 3:16; Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

1Co 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?

2 Tim 1:14; Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you.

Sometime shortly after you get saved, you should get baptized with the Holy Spirit.
There is a spirit of Christ within us also. But Jesus Himself is next to the throne in heaven.

Luke 22:69; "But from now on THE SON OF MAN WILL BE SEATED AT THE RIGHT HAND of the power OF GOD."

Eph 1:20; which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places,

Col 3:1; Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God

Loyal
I think its more serious than rejecting Jesus its insulting and accusing the power of holy spirit.
Or maybe you didnt read my post or the bible Peter denied and publically rejected Jesus yet was forgiven.

If unbelief in Jesus was an unforgiveable sin, then no one could ever be saved.
Saul/Paul didn't believe in Jesus before He got saved.

Loyal
ould be but the more exact definition of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, is simply put the rejection of Jesus Christ , resulting subsequently in unbelief and loss of salvation.

There are of course people who reject Jesus a number of times, and then get saved. If rejecting Jesus was unforgiveable, they could never be forgiven.

Active
There are of course people who reject Jesus a number of times, and then get saved. If rejecting Jesus was unforgiveable, they could never be forgiven

That's right my friend, I look back and see where God has called many times but I did not care...thank God I finally answered the call and received Jesus inside me. A cure if I had rejected unto my death, where would I be? If a person keeps rejecting Jesus and dies his physical death, we will be guilty of blaspheming the Holy Spirit and will go to hell!

Loyal
What would be an example today

Hi Lanolin,
As @B-A-C has mentioned
Blasphemy against The Holy Spirit is When some one Accuses something or some one of being of the devil when it is of God or saying it is of God when it's of the devil.

Notice when Jesus speaks of this...
It is right after some one accuses something if God as being the devil.
Blessings
W4F

Active
As @B-A-C has mentioned
Blasphemy against The Holy Spirit is When some one Accuses something or some one of being of the devil when it is of God or saying it is of God when it's of the devil.

Notice when Jesus speaks of this...
It is right after some one accuses something if God as being the devil.
Blessings
W4F

And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.Matthew 12:21

Every sin can be forgiven. Accusing someone of being the devil can be forgiven and is not the same as Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit. Simply put: If you die your physical without being saved, without the Jesus being in you, you have committed the unpardonable sin, " Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit"!

Active
he the thing I see people worried about are thoughts of blasphemy of the Spirit that some experience.
I am not sure how "some experience" the blasphemy of the Spirit. A non-believing person may experience some remorse, regret or otherwise being lost, at the moment of their death but, for sure , if they die in this unsaved condition, they have truly blasphemed the Holy Spirit and it is irrevocable!

Loyal
the the thing I see people worried about are thoughts of blasphemy of the Spirit that some experience.
And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.Matthew 12:21

Every sin can be forgiven. Accusing someone of being the devil can be forgiven and is not the same as Blasphemy Against The Holy Spirit. Simply put: If you die your physical without being saved, without the Jesus being in you, you have committed the unpardonable sin, " Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit"!

Laker? Could not see clearly on this phone for some reason.
Blessings
W4F