• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

If you are born of God, you will seek spiritual things, you will love each other edify each other, and one will not seek worldly things, and one will not sin?

You see God has promised us all this, in His Word. His Word is truth and He doesn't lie.

1Jo 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1Jo 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

1Jo 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

1Jo 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

To strengthen ones faith in God, just keep praying, asking God to give you strength. And ask Him to help you, to become more Christ-like.

All throughout the centuries, we have resisted the Holy Ghost.

Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

We need to listen and be obedient to His word and do His will and not our own will, be circumcised in the heart to allow God to change us.

We are new creatures now and the old has gone.

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Once these scriptures come to life for you, you will know:

Joh 17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
Joh 17:15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
Joh 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
Joh 17:18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

But like Jesus was tempted in the wilderness for a season, we will also be tempted in the wilderness. Jesus told us pray and not sleep. Jesus was not referring to literal sleep, as we know it.

The more one spends in God presence and prayer and His word, the more we will become Christ-like. We need to walk as Jesus walked, and become more like him.

So one must not resist the Holy Ghost. The power is there for all of us, we just need to know how to use the power.

Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Food for thought: I was reading an article yesterday, regarding a very well known evangelist, this well-know evangelist was giving all the glory to an angel. This same person went across the world, doing healings and all sorts, but instead of giving all the glory to God, he gave it to an angel. . He made a huge mistake.

God gets the the glory always, God is good, and in Him there is no darkness.

1Jo 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

Last edited:
If you are born of God, you will seek spiritual things, you will love each other edify each other, and one will not seek worldly things, and one will not sin?

You see God has promised us all this, in His Word. His Word is truth and He doesn't lie.

1Jo 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1Jo 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

1Jo 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

1Jo 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

To strengthen ones faith in God, just keep praying, asking God to give you strength. And ask Him to help you, to become more Christ-like.

All throughout the centuries, we have resisted the Holy Ghost.

Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fatherds did, so do ye.

We need to listen and be obedient to His word and do His will and not our own will, be circumcised in the heart to allow God to change us.

We are new creatures now and the old has gone.

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Once these scriptures come to life for you, you will know:

Joh 17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
Joh 17:15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
Joh 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
Joh 17:18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

But like Jesus was tempted in the wilderness for a season, we will also be tempted in the wilderness. Jesus told us pray and not sleep. Jesus was not referring to literal sleep, as we know it.

The more one spends in God presence and prayer and His word, the more we will become Christ-like. We need to walk as Jesus walked, and become more like him.

So one must not resist the Holy Ghost. The power is there for all of us, we just need to know how to use the power.

Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Food for thought: I was reading an article yesterday, regarding a very well known evangelist, this well-know evangelist was giving all the glory to an angel. This same person went across the world, doing healings and all sorts, but instead of giving all the glory to God, he gave it to an angel. . He made a huge mistake.

God gets the the glory always, God is good, and in Him there is no darkness.

1Jo 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

In Acts 7:51, Stephen was speaking to his persecutors. not to the church.

SLE

Stephen was speaking to the religious people of his time, the ones that received the message, and were in idolatry and were following traditions of man. They had been given God's law, but they disobeyed it, and in turn resisted the Holy Spirit.

This passage in Acts 7:44-53 is from the easy English online bible.

v44 ‘Our *ancestors had a tent where they *worshipped God. The tent was with them in the desert. God had told Moses how to make it. It was like the model that Moses had seen. v45 Our *ancestors received it. And they took it with them when they followed Joshua. They carried the tent when they came into this country. They took control of the country. And they replaced those people that God chased away. The tent remained in this country until David became king. v46 David pleased God. David asked God if he (David) could provide a place to *worship him, Jacob’s God. v47 But it was Solomon who built the house for God. v48 However, the Most High God does not live in houses that people build. It is as the *prophet says. He says this.

v49 “My *throne is heaven,
and my feet rest on the earth.
You cannot really build a house for me.
You do not know what sort of place I could stay in.

v50 I have made everything!”

v51 You *stubborn people, you think like *pagans. And you do not hear God’s message. You are exactly like your *ancestors. You always fight against the *Holy Spirit! v52 There is not one *prophet that your *ancestors did not *persecute. They killed some *prophets. Those *prophets said that God’s *righteous Servant was coming. Now you have opposed that Servant and you have killed him. v53 You are the people who received God’s *Law. The *angels gave it to you. But still you do not obey it.’

There is only One Church, and that's the one Jesus built, on the day Jesus was crucified. Stephen was telling these religious people of his time, what they were doing wrong, but they didn't listen to Stephen, and stoned and killed him.

Yes, I understand that, but you see, I am an unbeliever (atheist to be precise), so my question is, is it possible for *me* to commit "blasphemy against the holy spirit", either intentionally or otherwise?

As a fellow atheist, it doesn't matter, per Hebrews 6. According to the first several verses of that chapter, the person who has stopped believing cannot be "renewed again unto repentance." Either that verse is talking about THE unpardonable sin, or some other sin or set of sins that may as well be "unpardonable." Either way: No pardon.

Chad

Thanks for the article and your comments.

This has helped me get my head around this topic. Many people often ask "can a Believer commit this sin?". I really didn't know how to explain it before. I now have an answer to give them.

It used to worry me in the past as well. So thanks.

MelC

This is the same as Ananias and Sapphira in the book of Acts. He lied to the Holy Spirit, telling the apostles that it was all the amount from the land that he had sold, when in fact it was only some of it, and he kept the rest. The two of them died after saying that yes, it was the full amount.

Active
As a fellow atheist, it doesn't matter, per Hebrews 6. According to the first several verses of that chapter, the person who has stopped believing cannot be "renewed again unto repentance." Either that verse is talking about THE unpardonable sin, or some other sin or set of sins that may as well be "unpardonable." Either way: No pardon.
I would say,not taking the Bible for any quotes,that anyone who believes there is no God is a fool,for only such a person, would believe this. and if he or she dies believing that,to me,that is blasphmasy! Not being mean to you at all!! I say this because,i was once lost as well. Had i died before I found out I was no fool,I would of ended up lost forever,for even if a person has no belief,in the Lord or heaven and hell,what is there to look forward to if one is so lost from the start? just a thought. blessing.

I would say,not taking the Bible for any quotes,that anyone who believes there is no God is a fool,for only such a person, would believe this.

I can't say that it bothers me too much, and it's too typical a response to have not gotten used to by now. But let me absolutely clear. I do not "believe there is no god." I simply do not believe in any of the prescribed gods. God may well exist, but I see no evidence for any particular one put forth for my consideration.

and if he or she dies believing that,to me,that is blasphmasy!

Different christians who tell me this sort of thing label it different things. It's your belief system. Call it what you will.

Not being mean to you at all!! I say this because,i was once lost as well.

Perish the thought!

Had i died before I found out I was no fool,I would of ended up lost forever,for even if a person has no belief,in the Lord or heaven and hell,what is there to look forward to if one is so lost from the start? just a thought. blessing.

Meh.. I see no proof of that. There's a certain website about Hank and his posterior that's a sort of funny rebuttal to this rather specious argument, but I'll allow you to decide whether to look it up or not. (Send me a private message if you'd like further details). However, I'd like to completely assure you that I look forward to all sorts of things and have the other typical human longings and fulfillments. And I have absolutely no idea why I would consider myself "lost," unless its maybe on some sort of philosophical level that incorporates the level of degrees necessary to discuss all the proper connections around us. I guess that's a couple of thoughts. I hope I didn't bore you. Selah.

Last edited:
I do not "believe there is no god." I simply do not believe in any of the prescribed gods. God may well exist, but I see no evidence for any particular one put forth for my consideration.

"Questioning" has been banned from TJ because it became evident that he is not seeking truth. I'm saddened that he seems to have fallen into the Post-modernist trap of believing that there are no absolutes and therefore his opinion is that the absolutes upon which Christianity is based are not valid.

SLE

I remember once when I was about 15, I thought I had committed the unforgivable sin. But the fact is, I didn't. I was a believer when I thought I had committed this sin and a believer cannot commit this sin.

This is something that has really worried me what it is and been worrying if i commited or not,i would hate to hurt Jesus feelings.

I remember once when I was about 15, I thought I had committed the unforgivable sin. But the fact is, I didn't. I was a believer when I thought I had committed this sin and a believer cannot commit this sin.
You are correct, Holly. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is intentionally and maliciously giving Satan credit for the Spirit's works (see Mt 12:24, Lk 5:17)

SLE

This is something that bothers quite a few believers and myself included at one point as thoughts they were against God would enter my mind. The devil will do anything to make us believe we have committed this sin, however when you take a look at the Scripture and the context we can see what this is.

Let's take a look at this account in Matthew 12:22-32 "<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-23512">22</sup>Then they brought him a demon-possessed man who was blind and mute, and Jesus healed him, so that he could both talk and see. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-23513">23</sup>All the people were astonished and said, "Could this be the Son of David?" <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-23514">24</sup>But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, "It is only by Beelzebub,<sup class="footnote" value="[<a href=&quot;#fen-NIV-23514d&quot; title=&quot;See footnote d&quot;>d</a>]">[d]</sup> the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons."
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-23515">25</sup>Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-23516">26</sup>If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand? <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-23517">27</sup>And if I drive out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your people drive them out? So then, they will be your judges. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-23518">28</sup>But if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-23519">29</sup>"Or again, how can anyone enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can rob his house.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-23520">30</sup>"He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-23521">31</sup>And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-23522">32</sup>Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come"

We can see here that the Pharisees were teaching others that Jesus was casting out demons by the power of the prince of demons. Jesus then shows them how stupid they are by asking why Satan would cast out Satan? He would not as that would divide his kingdom and he would destroy it himself. The Pharisees would say anything at that time to accuse Jesus even though their accusations were beyond false, they were just plain stupid.

This is showing us that the Pharisees (who were the religious leaders of Israel, who knew the Bible better than anyone, even though they had false teaching,) were saying that the miracles of Jesus were being done by Satan. This is unforgivable because at this point these are people who are never going to turn to the Lord for if they had repented they would be forgiven, because Jesus turns none away, however as stated they were to never accept Jesus, instead they were so hateful they wanted to kill Jesus.

As true born-again Christians we cannot commit this sin, because we love God, we have eternal life, (Look at John 10.) We would never call the work of the Holy Spirit from the devil, but we know that the Holy Spirit through us is doing the work.

Some have said as an unbeliever I said some things that against the Holy Spirit, but the fact that you are now a believer shows the Holy Spirit worked in you because it is the Holy Spirit who convicts us and draws us to the Father. Again Jesus never turns anyone away. This is a sin committed by someone who is never going to turn to Jesus Christ as their Savior and rejects the work of the Holy Spirit and draws people away from Christ.

Hope that helps,

DJ

The Pharisees would say anything at that time to accuse Jesus even though their accusations were beyond false, they were just plain stupid.

Jn 4:2 tells us that early in his ministry, the Pharisees were alarmed at the rate at which Jesus was making disciples. Clinging to their positions in Jewish society, they became desperate and desperate people do and say stupid things as they frantically try to hang on to control.

SLE

Last edited:
Jn 4:2 tells us that early in his ministry, the Pharisees were alarmed at the rate at which Jesus was making disciples. Clinging to their positions in Jewish society, they became desperate and desperate people do and say stupid things as they frantically try to hang on to control.

SLE

I agree, and that is exactly what was happening.

The Holy Spirit can be RESISTED.
Acts 7:51 Ye stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

The Holy Spirit can be QUENCHED.
1Th 5:19 Quench not the Spirit.

The Holy Spirit can be GREIVED.
Eph 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
What kind of things grieves the Holy Spirit? Read the next verse…
Vs. 31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamor, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

The Holy Spirit can be QUIETED.
Zech 6:8 Then cried he upon me, and spake unto me, saying, Behold, these that go toward the north country have quieted my spirit in the north country.
How can one “quiet” the Holy Spirit? The Holy Spirit is a gentleman. He will never force Himself upon you. If you continually resist Him, or “say” that you don’t want to hear what He has to say… He will back off and be quiet where you are concerned.

The Holy Spirit can be INSULTED.
Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite (Greek: to insult) the Spirit of grace?

But these are NOT Blasphemy.

Also
1Tim 1:12-13, Paul said that He had even blasphemed, but that he had done this out of ignorance.
So Paul said he Blasphemed out of Ignorance. Well he obviously DID NOT Blaspheme the Holy spirit, becasue he never came into Contact with the Holy spirit till he was on the Road to damascus. SO he ONLY blasphemed Jesus.

What the Pharisees did WAS Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, and DEFINATELY was not out of Ignorance. They saw him. They Know what to look for. they studdied the Prophets.

Can you know if you Blaspheme the Holy spirit? Yes. But you wont feel remorse, or worry about it. YOu might even Like the Idea that you did it, and gain power from it...hmm...Antichrist?

I have taken a special interest in this thread, as I know of two people who have done so, blasphened the Holy Spirit, well one of them did to myself, a few years ago, it was the Mother of my son's partner, I know 'living in sin' it used to be titled, and Im not proud of it either, but thats the way they've choosen to live, this woman, for whom I pray, her and her husband both are backsliders, and have both gone back into the world seemingly with no problem of doing so, that makes me wonder were people like this ever truly saved to begin with, as its usually said that your 'spoilt for the world' to try and go back into it after receiving the promises of God isnt something I can understand, but then thats a whole different topic......

Well to get back.....the woman did grief the Holy Spirit to my account as she told me, 'she didnt believe anymore in Jesus, I cant remember the other words she used but I know I had to walk away from her as I couldnt stand by to listen to her blaspheme.

This also was the very first question I had on my mind for ages when I first got saved, as I didnt want to commit it myself, but I needed to find out what it was first so I asked a Minister I knew, well he said he'd have to go away and study it and the following week he told me he didnt know what it was, now Im not sure if he was a saved man, some Ministers arent, anyway it took me a few years to work it out myself but surely I did, then I knew I hadnt committed it thank the Lord.

Just thought this might interest some of you.,
Hi to all my old buddies, its been ages, Stephen, Strypes, SpiritLedEd, Coconut, etc guess I wont be remembered though. xoxoxo

Last edited:
In response to the first post.

If each man who spoke blasphemy against the holy spirit were to never be forgiven, then in this age, no man would be forgiven.

What is said is sometimes said for impact to an outcome as much as anything else.

If it was said, all will be forgiven. All will be saved. Then what work would you do?

Does a father tell his son, "you must go to bed early tonight because you have been a naughty boy", but whereupon he has been a nice boy thereafter, the father says "since you have been a nice boy this evening you may go to bed at your normal time".

He must reward his son for when he is good and punish his son for when he his bad, yet through his love does he do this.

In the same way jesus said many things. He peppered the meat when it was raw, and once some of the pepper bled out, he added the salt.
Sometimes he salted the meat when it was raw, and peppered it once it was cooked.

If it were not for fear, where would love be? If it was not for love, why even begin in fear?

Nothing that was said, is set in stone. Such that the new testament was new wine to the old. Will not new wine be given to you again?

What is said for the times is for the times. Love can say that black is white if it leads to what is love.