Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Bible Answers' started by Chad, Jul 20, 2007.

Random Thread
  1. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

2. I am assuming that you are talking about Christians to continually ask for forgiveness, then:
    • What if you forget to ask.
    • Or what do you do if you didn't recognize it as a sin.

3. There is grace for these cases, but if the Holy Spirit is moving in you He will remind of things you need to ask for forgiveness for.
    If you don't know it's a sin but you think it might be a sin, then it's sin.
    Even if you don't know it's a sin, it's still a sin. Otherwise all non-Christians would have to do is remain ignorant about the Bible. (Many of them claim ignorance now).
    If you have been a Christian very long, you should know what sin is.

(KJV)
    Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

4. My post was a direct quote response to revbrad but, since you chimmed in:
    • There is grace for these cases I couldn't agree with you more, grace that is for the true Born Again Christian.
    • but if the Holy Spirit is moving in you He will remind of things you need to ask for forgiveness for I rely on him mostly for that! But, I am not so prideful that in this physical world and my imperfectiion that I it is not possible to miss one sin. You never lie, you never are negative or doubtful....are these not sins?
    • If you don't know it's a sin but you think it might be a sin, then it's sin. That works for me!
    • Even if you don't know it's a sin, it's still a sin. Now that's what I'm talking about, would have been one of my future responses to revbrad and you pulled it right out of me! What do we do? What in the world do we do in those situations? We do nothing because we are not even aware of it. I am not talking about the "Dirty Dozen" or " Nasty Five" that everyone wants to key in on. I am talking about those little sins that we overlook sometimes. If you don't ask for forgiveness for those how can one repent, be forgiven? God's grace that's how.

5. This reminds me of a quote that was attributed to Billy Sunday, an evangelist who preceded Billy Graham on the world stage: "Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you a car."

SLE

6. RJ likes this.
  7. You are exactly right, Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit or Apostasy are the same and both are all out rejection of faith in Jesus Christ. This is obviously, the one sin God will not forgive!

8. An example of what the people called blasphemy back then:

Matthew 26:62 And the high priest arose, and said unto him, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?
    Matthew 26:63 But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
    Matthew 26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
    Matthew 26:65 Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy.
    Matthew 26:66 What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death.

Blasphemy is something that happens verbally. Irreverence. Scorn. Verbal disrespect.

Mark 14:64 Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

John 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

Revelation 13:6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

Mark 3:22 And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.
    Mark 3:23 And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?
    Mark 3:24 And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
    Mark 3:25 And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.
    Mark 3:26 And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.
    Mark 3:27 No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.
    Mark 3:28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
    Mark 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
    Mark 3:30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

These scribes ( which also indicates that they are people that definitely should have known better too ) weren't just verbally attacking the fleshly person of Jesus they were verbally disrespecting the power that was being used when Jesus performed miracles and cast out devils. They would not or could not allow that the power that was being used was of God and decide to listen to Jesus so that they could be saved. I, personally, have decided that the reason that this is such a bad thing to do--why it is looked on as something that cannot be forgiven--is because when the Holy Ghost works like this through another it is God revealing Himself in the fullest manner that He can, at least, while we're still human, and if a person cannot believe after seeing the Holy Ghost work spectacular miracles like Jesus was known for then they would never be able to come to God no matter what. So, they doom themselves for this, and I'd like to say that I understand why.

John 10:37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
    John 10:38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
    Even if you do not believe me believe that the works that are being done are the finger of God.

I do understand that a lot of people have to see this as a sin against Jesus, rejecting him and not accepting salvation etc, because other than that people have a way to question the ability to receive Eternal Security in this human life ( Once Saved Always Saved ), but Jesus was clear that this sin was not one against him but one against the Holy Ghost. You can tell yourself somehow that Jesus is or was the Holy Ghost or whatever but Jesus made it a point to show that there is a difference between the two of them when he said:

Matthew 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.