• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Administrator
Staff Member
What is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?
Can A Christian Commit it?

Jesus mentions a sin that is unforgivable in Matt. 12:31-32 and calls it blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. But what exactly is this unforgivable sin? For that, we need to look at the context.
A House Divided Cannot Stand
22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said, “Could this be the Son of David?”​
24 Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, “This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.”​
25 But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. 26 If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? 27 And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. 28 But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29 Or how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30 He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.​
The Unpardonable Sin
31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.​

Let me review this section briefly. In verse 22, Jesus healed a blind and dumb man. The Pharisees accuse Jesus of casting out demons by the power of "Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons" (v. 24). Jesus responds by saying that a kingdom divided will fall (vv. 25-28) and how the devil must first be bound before you can plunder his house (v. 29). In verses 31-32, He states that blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven in this age or the age to come.

By simply looking at the context it becomes apparent that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is saying that Jesus did His miracles by the power of the devil. This is unforgivable. But why? We can find a clue by looking at when Jesus began His ministry.

Jesus stated that His baptism was to "fulfill all righteousness," (Matt. 3:15). The word "fulfill" should cause us to think of the Old Testament. Basically, Jesus was baptized because He had to fulfill the Old Testament requirements for entering into the priesthood. He was a priest after the order of Melchizedek (Psalm 110:4; Heb. 5:8-10; 6:20). Priests offered sacrifice to God on behalf of the people. Jesus became a sacrifice for our sin (1 Pet. 2:21; 2 Cor. 5:21) in His role as priest. According to the Old Testament, in order for a priest to be consecrated as a priest, He had to be washed with water (Lev. 8:6; Exodus 29:4, Matt. 3:15) and anointed with oil (Lev. 8:12; Exodus 29:7; Matt. 3:16). Both of these were bestowed upon Jesus at His baptism. Additionally, He may have needed to be 30 years old - (Num. 4:3).

The oil is representative of the Holy Spirit who descended upon Jesus at His baptism (Matt. 3:16). It was after His baptism that He began His ministry and started performing miracles. He did His miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit who had come upon Him at His baptism. The Pharisees - who knew that Jesus' miracles validated His words and ministry (see John 11:45-48) - were attempting to discredit Jesus' Messiahship by saying that His works were by the devil and not by the Holy Spirit. Therefore, when the Pharisees accused Jesus of casting out demons by the power of Satan, they were blaspheming the Holy Spirit by whom Jesus performed His miracles. This is unforgivable because it struck at the very heart of the redemptive work of God in Christ. It struck at the very nature of Jesus’ ministry of redemption, testimony, and teaching. Jesus was ministering in the power of the Holy Spirit Himself, fulfilling the divine plan of God to provide a sacrifice for our sins (John 3:16; 1 John 4:10). The Pharisees were attributing this to demonic activity. This is a great blasphemy.

Can a Believer Commit the Unforgivable Sin?

No. A believer cannot commit the unforgivable sin. How can someone who has been born again (John 3:7), made a new creation (2 Cor. 5:17), and received eternal life (John 10:27-28) actually commit the unforgivable sin? He cannot. Jesus Himself said that we have eternal life, not conditional life: "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of My hand." Besides, it says in 2 Cor. 5:17 that the Christian is a new creation in Christ. We are different, no longer slaves to the old nature (Rom. 6:14). We are regenerated by the Holy Spirit.

There is no biblical support for a believer committing this sin. It just hasn’t happened. Also, if you are worried that you may have committed the sin and can’t be forgiven, then don’t be concerned. If you are worrying about it, then you haven’t committed it. If you are worried about it, then that is a sign that you have not committed it. If you had, you wouldn’t be concerned.

Article by: Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, What is it?

Last edited:
Is that the same way of perhaps saying, that anyone who doesn't believe that Jesus is who he says he is, is committing the unforgivable sin? If we don't believe Jesus is who he says, we don't believe the bible, therefore we just don't believe! Yet it says any blasphemy against Jesus will be forgiven, but not the Holy Spirit.

Good questions Jean.This can be a deep subject if you meditate on it like that.I also have heard blasphemy means to deny the Holy spirit exist.Some people think if they get mad at God an curse him out,God forbid,they have committed blasphemy.But along your line of thinking,if they get mad at God an the world because of the weight of the cross ect...that just proves they beleive in Him.And havent really committed blasphemy?Only God can judge.:eek:)

Thanks Chad,this is a great subject thread.I know lots of people are being set free from self condemnation through this word.God bless you.

Well I am still confused. In the linked article Chad wrote originally he claims that it is no longer possible to commit unforgiveable sin, because Christ has ascended.

However, in the original article at the top of this thread there are two entire paragraphs devoted to the question of "can a believer commit this sin" which ends with "If you had, you wouldn’t be concerned."

Now firstly, if this sin cannot be committed, why not call these last paragraphs "can anyone commit this sin", and secondly, if you cannot commit this sin, why does the article describe how you would feel if you had committed it?

Administrator
Staff Member
Blayz, wehn the article says ""If you had, you wouldn’t be concerned." the author is merely saying you were not / are not a believer in the first place.

Blayz, wehn the article says ""If you had, you wouldn’t be concerned." the author is merely saying you were not / are not a believer in the first place.

Yes, I understand that, but you see, I am an unbeliever (atheist to be precise), so my question is, is it possible for *me* to commit "blasphemy against the holy spirit", either intentionally or otherwise?

Administrator
Staff Member
When the Holy Spirit reaches out to you and you purposely reject him continually after having knowledge of GOD (being convicted of GOD), that is committing blasphemy. It is continual state of unbeleif. When a person (knowingly) calls the Spirit of the devil, that is blasphemy.

This article should help you out
What is the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?

Also, I highly recommend reading this on a side note now that you've mentioned your an atheist.

http://www.talkjesus.com/evidence-prophecy-facts/13287-atheism-part-1-a.html?highlight=atheism

When a person (knowingly) calls the Spirit of the devil, that is blasphemy.

Actually that clears it up. It requires belief in God and the devil and to then choose the Devil.

Also, I highly recommend reading this on a side note now that you've mentioned your an atheist. *

Already read it, but thanks. I'd have responded to it, but I would probably have broken one or more of the site commandments along the way.

*link removed 'cause I can't post links

Yes, I understand that, but you see, I am an unbeliever (atheist to be precise), so my question is, is it possible for *me* to commit "blasphemy against the holy spirit", either intentionally or otherwise?
May I offer a simple answer to your question, Blayze? The answer is "Yes" because the Holy Spirit exists whether you believe in him or not. His existence is not contingent upon anyone's belief.

I've a good friend named Scott. You've never met Scott. You've never even seen Scott. Aside from my testimony of him, you have no tangible evidence of his existence. Yet, if you uttered any kind of derogatory statement about him that wasn't true, you would be guilty of blaspheming him. His existence is not contingent upon whether or not you believe it.

SpiritLedEd

Last edited:
May I offer a simple answer to your question, Blayze? The answer is "Yes" because the Holy Spirit exists whether you believe in him or not. His existence is not contingent upon anyone's belief.

I've a good friend named Scott. You've never met Scott. You've never even seen Scott. Aside from my testimony of him, you have no tangible evidence of his existence. Yet, if you uttered any kind of derogatory statement about him that wasn't true, you would be guilty of blaspheming him. His existence is not contingent upon whether or not you believe it.

SpiritLedEd

I am not talking about "sin" here SLE, and I understand Chad's comment about blasphemy. However, I am talking about Blasphemy against the spirit, that unforgivable sin which is not forgiven "in this life, or the next" which would make it impossible for me to EVER get into heaven REGARDLESS of how much I might later in life repent or turn to Jesus. What you seems to be saying SLE is that simply by uttering a derogatory comment against the Holy Spirit (something I have done many times) I have permanently barred myself from heaven and consigned my self to eternal damnation, that I have committed unforgivable sin and am thus unsaveable by Christ.

I am not talking about "sin" here SLE, and I understand Chad's comment about blasphemy. However, I am talking about Blasphemy against the spirit, that unforgivable sin which is not forgiven "in this life, or the next" which would make it impossible for me to EVER get into heaven REGARDLESS of how much I might later in life repent or turn to Jesus. What you seems to be saying SLE is that simply by uttering a derogatory comment against the Holy Spirit (something I have done many times) I have permanently barred myself from heaven and consigned my self to eternal damnation, that I have committed unforgivable sin and am thus unsaveable by Christ.
Blasphemy is basically intentionally and consistently spreading what one knows to be derogatory mis-information about a person.

If you've acknowledged the Holy Spirit's existence and learned about him, i.e. his power and his function, and yet insisted on consistently spreading derogatory mis-information about him, you would be guilty of Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Thank you for pointing out where I got off track.

SLE

Blasphemeo is a greek word meaning to defame, to vilify or slander.

We know by the scriptures that the HolySpirit is sent here to give us power to be a witness of Christ and that he himself is the chief witness. So to slander HolySpirit is to reject Christ.

John 16:5-15
5 “But now I am going away to the one who sent me, and none of you has asked me where I am going. 6 Instead, you are very sad. 7 But it is actually best for you that I go away, because if I don’t, the Counselor* won’t come. If I do go away, he will come because I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes, he will convince the world of its sin, and of God’s righteousness, and of the coming judgment. 9 The world’s sin is unbelief in me. 10 Righteousness is available because I go to the Father, and you will see me no more. 11 Judgment will come because the prince of this world has already been judged.
12 “Oh, there is so much more I want to tell you, but you can’t bear it now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not be presenting his own ideas; he will be telling you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future. 14 He will bring me glory by revealing to you whatever he receives from me. 15 All that the Father has is mine; this is what I mean when I say that the Spirit will reveal to you whatever he receives from me.

Last edited:
Administrator
Staff Member

There is two sides to saying something against the Holy Spirit.

One, it is knowingly (with knowledge) doing against the Holy Spirit.

Secondly, without knowledge of the Holy Spirit (like probably most people's case).

Knowingly

For example, if you've already been in the presence of the Holy Spirit, convicted of who He is and therefore received knowledge of Him, then you go off resisting Him (until death) or attaining His miracles (which your 100% sure in your heart is from Him) as an act of the devil or demons, then you've committed blasphemy.

Put it this way, you either love or hate GOD. There is no middle ground. You either accept Jesus or reject Jesus. Choose to accept Jesus, because He is your creator, loves you more than words can say and the Bible is in fact GOD's love letter to humanity.

Well Chad, I disagree. but not to try to put anyone down, but this is the way I see it.

"you said a believer can not commit an unforgivable sin."

but... the Sin of Blaspheme of the Holy Spirit is unforgivable. Even to a "Christian."

In the Geneva bible it says in Matthew 12:31, "Wherefore I say unto you, Every sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 2. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."

Which means if we deny the existence of the Holy Spirit We can not be forgiven…There are Christian that Do not believe in The Holy Spirit even to the point of denying it…this sin is unforgivable.

q-you either love or hate GOD. There is no middle ground. You either accept Jesus or reject Jesus. Choose to accept Jesus, because He is your creator, loves you more than words can say and the Bible is in fact GOD's love letter to humanity.

Nicely put brother

Blasphemy against the holy Spirit is defined as intentionally and persistently giving the devil credit for the Holy Spirit's works.

Keep in mind that during his earthly ministry, when Jesus healed, it was by the power of the Holy Spirit. That is why, in Matthew 12, when the Pharisees accused Jesus of driving demons out by the power of Satan (see Mt 12:24), Jesus scolded them severely and told them "...every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come." (Mt 12:31-32).

Again, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is giving the devil credit for the Spirit's works. It is a very narrow definition. Can a true Christian blaspheme the Holy Spirit? No, because a true Christian understands and honors the Spirit's role as the Third Person of the Triune Godhead.

SLE