• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Active

RJ

Yes, when we sin we must ask forgiveness

As for this other stuff, give me chapter and verse to back it up.
I am assuming that you are talking about Christians to continually ask for forgiveness, then:
  • What if you forget to ask.
  • Or what do you do if you didn't recognize it as a sin.

Loyal
I am assuming that you are talking about Christians to continually ask for forgiveness, then:

• What if you forget to ask.
  • Or what do you do if you didn't recognize it as a sin.

There is grace for these cases, but if the Holy Spirit is moving in you He will remind of things you need to ask for forgiveness for.
If you don't know it's a sin but you think it might be a sin, then it's sin.
Even if you don't know it's a sin, it's still a sin. Otherwise all non-Christians would have to do is remain ignorant about the Bible. (Many of them claim ignorance now).
If you have been a Christian very long, you should know what sin is.

(KJV)
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Active

RJ

There is grace for these cases, but if the Holy Spirit is moving in you He will remind of things you need to ask for forgiveness for.
If you don't know it's a sin but you think it might be a sin, then it's sin.
Even if you don't know it's a sin, it's still a sin. Otherwise all non-Christians would have to do is remain ignorant about the Bible. (Many of them claim ignorance now).
If you have been a Christian very long, you should know what sin is.

(KJV)
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
My post was a direct quote response to revbrad but, since you chimmed in:
  • There is grace for these cases I couldn't agree with you more, grace that is for the true Born Again Christian.
  • but if the Holy Spirit is moving in you He will remind of things you need to ask for forgiveness for I rely on him mostly for that! But, I am not so prideful that in this physical world and my imperfectiion that I it is not possible to miss one sin. You never lie, you never are negative or doubtful....are these not sins?
  • If you don't know it's a sin but you think it might be a sin, then it's sin. That works for me!
  • Even if you don't know it's a sin, it's still a sin. Now that's what I'm talking about, would have been one of my future responses to revbrad and you pulled it right out of me! What do we do? What in the world do we do in those situations? We do nothing because we are not even aware of it. I am not talking about the "Dirty Dozen" or " Nasty Five" that everyone wants to key in on. I am talking about those little sins that we overlook sometimes. If you don't ask for forgiveness for those how can one repent, be forgiven? God's grace that's how.

I reflected on my relationships with my dad, mom, siblings, wife, children, neighbors, the beggar down the street, the drunkards nearby, those who hated me, those who stepped on my shoes during rash hours in buses and trains, my difficult bosses, etc. I realized I failed miserably. That's when I saw that living the LIFE daily counted more than being skilled and equipped in discussions. "That life was the light of men."

This reminds me of a quote that was attributed to Billy Sunday, an evangelist who preceded Billy Graham on the world stage: "Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you a car."

SLE

Active

RJ

I'm not sure if we can share links but I found this great article that I think will help anyone who may have questions and is seeking answers about this sin.
Blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven - Mt 12(31-32)
Forgiveness for blasphemy against the Spirit and apostasy | Philosophical11
You are exactly right, Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit or Apostasy are the same and both are all out rejection of faith in Jesus Christ. This is obviously, the one sin God will not forgive!

An example of what the people called blasphemy back then:

Matthew 26:62 And the high priest arose, and said unto him, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?
Matthew 26:63 But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
Matthew 26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
Matthew 26:65 Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy.
Matthew 26:66 What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death.

Blasphemy is something that happens verbally. Irreverence. Scorn. Verbal disrespect.

Mark 14:64 Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

John 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

Revelation 13:6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

Mark 3:22 And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.
Mark 3:23 And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?
Mark 3:24 And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.
Mark 3:25 And if a house be divided against itself, that house cannot stand.
Mark 3:26 And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, he cannot stand, but hath an end.
Mark 3:27 No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house.
Mark 3:28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
Mark 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
Mark 3:30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

These scribes ( which also indicates that they are people that definitely should have known better too ) weren't just verbally attacking the fleshly person of Jesus they were verbally disrespecting the power that was being used when Jesus performed miracles and cast out devils. They would not or could not allow that the power that was being used was of God and decide to listen to Jesus so that they could be saved. I, personally, have decided that the reason that this is such a bad thing to do--why it is looked on as something that cannot be forgiven--is because when the Holy Ghost works like this through another it is God revealing Himself in the fullest manner that He can, at least, while we're still human, and if a person cannot believe after seeing the Holy Ghost work spectacular miracles like Jesus was known for then they would never be able to come to God no matter what. So, they doom themselves for this, and I'd like to say that I understand why.

John 10:37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
John 10:38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
Even if you do not believe me believe that the works that are being done are the finger of God.

I do understand that a lot of people have to see this as a sin against Jesus, rejecting him and not accepting salvation etc, because other than that people have a way to question the ability to receive Eternal Security in this human life ( Once Saved Always Saved ), but Jesus was clear that this sin was not one against him but one against the Holy Ghost. You can tell yourself somehow that Jesus is or was the Holy Ghost or whatever but Jesus made it a point to show that there is a difference between the two of them when he said:

Matthew 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Active
What is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?
Can A Christian Commit it?

Jesus mentions a sin that is unforgivable in Matt. 12:31-32 and calls it blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. But what exactly is this unforgivable sin? For that, we need to look at the context.
A House Divided Cannot Stand
22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said, “Could this be the Son of David?”​
24 Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, “This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.”​
25 But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. 26 If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? 27 And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. 28 But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29 Or how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30 He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.​
The Unpardonable Sin
31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.​

Let me review this section briefly. In verse 22, Jesus healed a blind and dumb man. The Pharisees accuse Jesus of casting out demons by the power of "Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons" (v. 24). Jesus responds by saying that a kingdom divided will fall (vv. 25-28) and how the devil must first be bound before you can plunder his house (v. 29). In verses 31-32, He states that blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven in this age or the age to come.

By simply looking at the context it becomes apparent that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is saying that Jesus did His miracles by the power of the devil. This is unforgivable. But why? We can find a clue by looking at when Jesus began His ministry.

Jesus stated that His baptism was to "fulfill all righteousness," (Matt. 3:15). The word "fulfill" should cause us to think of the Old Testament. Basically, Jesus was baptized because He had to fulfill the Old Testament requirements for entering into the priesthood. He was a priest after the order of Melchizedek (Psalm 110:4; Heb. 5:8-10; 6:20). Priests offered sacrifice to God on behalf of the people. Jesus became a sacrifice for our sin (1 Pet. 2:21; 2 Cor. 5:21) in His role as priest. According to the Old Testament, in order for a priest to be consecrated as a priest, He had to be washed with water (Lev. 8:6; Exodus 29:4, Matt. 3:15) and anointed with oil (Lev. 8:12; Exodus 29:7; Matt. 3:16). Both of these were bestowed upon Jesus at His baptism. Additionally, He may have needed to be 30 years old - (Num. 4:3).

The oil is representative of the Holy Spirit who descended upon Jesus at His baptism (Matt. 3:16). It was after His baptism that He began His ministry and started performing miracles. He did His miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit who had come upon Him at His baptism. The Pharisees - who knew that Jesus' miracles validated His words and ministry (see John 11:45-48) - were attempting to discredit Jesus' Messiahship by saying that His works were by the devil and not by the Holy Spirit. Therefore, when the Pharisees accused Jesus of casting out demons by the power of Satan, they were blaspheming the Holy Spirit by whom Jesus performed His miracles. This is unforgivable because it struck at the very heart of the redemptive work of God in Christ. It struck at the very nature of Jesus’ ministry of redemption, testimony, and teaching. Jesus was ministering in the power of the Holy Spirit Himself, fulfilling the divine plan of God to provide a sacrifice for our sins (John 3:16; 1 John 4:10). The Pharisees were attributing this to demonic activity. This is a great blasphemy.

Can a Believer Commit the Unforgivable Sin?

No. A believer cannot commit the unforgivable sin. How can someone who has been born again (John 3:7), made a new creation (2 Cor. 5:17), and received eternal life (John 10:27-28) actually commit the unforgivable sin? He cannot. Jesus Himself said that we have eternal life, not conditional life: "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of My hand." Besides, it says in 2 Cor. 5:17 that the Christian is a new creation in Christ. We are different, no longer slaves to the old nature (Rom. 6:14). We are regenerated by the Holy Spirit.

There is no biblical support for a believer committing this sin. It just hasn’t happened. Also, if you are worried that you may have committed the sin and can’t be forgiven, then don’t be concerned. If you are worrying about it, then you haven’t committed it. If you are worried about it, then that is a sign that you have not committed it. If you had, you wouldn’t be concerned.

Article by: Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, What is it?
I agree and confirm the word by sharing this below.

The only sin the Holy Spirit will convict sinners of, is never having believed in the Son; that is why I believe that is the actual unforgiveable sin since the Pharisees were trying to scatter those from believing in Jesus because of the miracles.

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

Active
I'm not sure if we can share links but I found this great article that I think will help anyone who may have questions and is seeking answers about this sin.
Blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven - Mt 12(31-32)
Forgiveness for blasphemy against the Spirit and apostasy | Philosophical11
You are exactly right, Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit or Apostasy are the same and both are all out rejection of faith in Jesus Christ. This is obviously, the one sin God will not forgive!
Apostasy involves a falling away from the faith in Jesus Christ like those saints who believe the lie that they can receive the Holy Ghost again apart from salvation after a sign, even a sign of tongues. They are committing spiritual adultery.

Matthew 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

They are at risk of being left behind at the pre great tribulation rapture when Gd judges His House first;

Revelation 2:18 And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass; 19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.

20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. 21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden. 25 But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.

Those who do not depart from iniquity will not be received by Him as that vessel unto honor in His House, but left behind to die, but yet their spirits will be with the Lord in Heaven awaiting for their resurrection as vessels unto dishonor in His House after the great tribulation, because all manner of sins will be forgiven, but only the sin of never having believed in Jesus Christ is the unforgiveable sin.

2 Timothy 2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

So even former believers still have that foundation and that seal of adoption for why they are still to be called to depart from iniquity or else be denied by him in being left behind even though He still abides in them for they are still His. How else can vessels unto dishonor still be in His House when the vessels unto honor are the ones that have departed from iniquity? That is why we are to seek he good of others by calling even former believers to depart from iniquity so they too can be received by Him as that vessel unto honor in His House which is the "eternal glory" that comes with our salvation in Christ Jesus which they are to obtain by faith in Jesus Christ to finish His work in them to His glory..

2 Timothy 2:10 Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. 11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: 12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: 13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

2 Corinthians 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:) 8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. 9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. 11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.:

The only unforgiveable sin is never having believed in Jesus Christ because those who had believed but have fallen away, that foundation is not going any where and neither is that seal of adoption because Jesus is faithful for why He still abides in those saints & former believers left behind. Why?

John 6:
37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

There is a casting out as excommunicated from the Marriage Supper but not a casting out from the kingdom of heaven as there are saints in iniquity that will be disqualified but still in His House as vessels unto dishonor.

As it is Jesus will lose none of all the Father has given Him and the Father's will is that all who see & believe on Jesus Christ, shall have everlasting life.

The Holy Spirit still being in former believers is why they are saved, but when the Holy Spirit is not in unbelievers that never had believed in Jesus Christ, is how the holy Spirit will convict unbelievers of that unforgiveable sin by not being in them at all.

Ephesians 4:30-32

King James Version​

30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:
32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.:)