Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

Baptism in Water

Discussion in 'Bible Answers' started by Chad, Nov 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Random Thread
  1. i am not saying anything. i print what i read in the Bible. read what the Bible says about Baptism, and go by that. as far as your hypotheticals. that would be a judgment call. i am not worthy to make that.

2. i wasent there so i don't know. but keeping in mind what the Scriptures and Jesus Christ said about Baptism i would think they did it as soon as possible, i know i did.

3. then leave it out of Gods plan of Salvation if you don't think it is necessary. its up to you. but i think He put in in for a reason.

5. Bruce, where in Tony's thread does it say it is not necessary? There are those who will not have a chance to be baptised as has already been stated, this does not make their salvation ineffectual. What you are saying is the thief who died on the cross will not be in heaven, and that's not what Jesus said.

6. i didn't mean that at all, the thief went to heaven absolutely. Christ said so. i am saying we are not the thief. Christ told us a different way.

7. There is only one way to be saved and it was the same way for an old testament saint as it is for a new testament saint.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith -and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so no one can boast. Eph 2:8-9.

Salvation has always been by grace through faith, and always will be by grace through faith. So the thief on the cross was saved by grace through faith just like everyone else in this world that has ever been saved.

Blessings,
    Tonyb

8. Perfectly said, amen brother Tony!

Scripture says this clearly. It couldn't possibly be made more straightforward and simple than the Scripture Tony quoted.

9. What About!

Water baptism is an example that we are to follow
    set forth by our Lord Jesus Christ. Matt.3:13-16.

It has been said that 'water' baptism is the outward
    sign of the inward 'working' of the Holy Spirit.

It tells the world we are buried [the old man] with
    Christ and then raised [out of the water] in the
    'newness' of life as we are 'born-again'!

What about the people who are 'never' baptized' in
    water due to 'no'fault of their own!!

My Dad about a month or so ago received Christ in His
    heart on his 'death' bed and my sister led him to our
    wonderful Jesus!

I had the honor and privledge of leading my Mom to
    Christ over the phone about 7 years ago on her death
    bed also!

They 'could' not be baptized in total immersion of water
    obviously!

Soldiers in fox holes who get saved and then their life
    is 'snuffed' out suddenly are not 'baptized' in water!

Baptism, though very important 'is' not the deciding
    factor to a person's salvation.

Who ever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved!

Rom.10:8: But what saith it? The word is nigh thee,
    even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word
    of faith, which we preach;

Rom.10:9: That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the
    Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath
    raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Rom.10:10: For with the heart man believeth unto
    righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made
    unto salvation.

Rom.0:11: For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth
    on him shall not be ashamed.

God Bless,
    Joe

10. Wow I smell some Stinkin thinkin'... Did you know that yeast stinks? Who did Jesus say where like yeast? Just a thought.

11. what about the rest of the scriptures that clearly make baptism a part of the salvation hem.? mark 16;16 Jesus says " he who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned."

12. That verse is referring to being baptised with the Holy Spirit. Read and study carefully.

13. i am not a good typer. if you would do me a favor and list also all the verses that connect baptism to being saved and salvation.

14. what about the verse that says you receive The Holy Spirit when you are baptized.?

15. Where in this scripture (Mark 16:16) does it say water baptized? The greek word used here baptizo which can mean submerged or to be completely overcome. so Jesus could be referring to the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Just look at what Jesus says next.
    Mark 16:17&18
    17 These signs will accompany those who believe: They will cast out demons in my name, and they will speak new languages.* 18 They will be able to handle snakes with safety, and if they drink anything poisonous, it won’t hurt them. They will be able to place their hands on the sick and heal them.”

Sounds to me like someone who has experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

16. acts 2;38 " and peter said to them " repent, and let each one of you be baptized the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." is this a water baptism.?

17. The Holy Spirit is THE baptism that matters ultimately for salvation, in the name of Jesus Christ. I do not know why your so concerned about water. Jesus said He is the true water of life.

John 4:14
    but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

18. Yes, to be baptized in the name of Jesus, but this does not mean you will be baptized in the Holy Spirit it means He will indwell you. Bruce I want to ask you a question, do you agree with the baptism of the Holy Spirit as a seperate experience apart from new birth or becoming born-again. And that it is vital as much today as in the first century church?

19. Well Bruce I know of some scriptures that seem to suggest that water baptism is not as important as you have been making it out to be.

These scriptures are found in 1 Corinthians 1. Verse 14 reads, I Thank my God that I Baptised none of your except Crispus and Gaius, Verse 16 Now I did baptise also the household of Stephannas; beyond that, I don't know whether I baptised any other. Verse 17 For Christ did not send me to baptise, but to preach the gospel ...

It would seem from the above verses that the Apostle Paul thought preaching the gospel was more important than baptising believers.

I don't think you see the difference between being baptised into Christ and being baptised in water. Being baptised into Christ comes first, then you are batised in water as a confirmation or testimony to the fact.

20. i ain't for sure on this but didn't the baptism of the Holy Spirit happen to a select few so they could speak in other languages to help spread the Gospel.? i know i received it during water baptism.