• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Are christians suppose help other christians only?

I heard a pastor say christians only suppose to help other believer, i think its kind of mess up. What if you see a burning house with a non believers screaming for help do i just sit there or help them? I would try to help them

Loyal
Since people don't usually wear a sign saying "Born-again believer" or "Christian" -- we don't know who's a believer or not.

The 'family of believers' And "all people'.

When people go to a church and hear of someone in need -- help as you're able to.

When a person next door or down the street needs help -- help them as you're able to.

The "Golden Rule" is in the Bible -- Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you. Just found it in Matthew 7:12.

Active
Since people don't usually wear a sign saying "Born-again believer" or "Christian" -- we don't know who's a believer or not.
Please re-read post # 2.

Paul addressed the brethren in attendance when he said Gal 6:10. Paul never said person A or person B in attendance were saints or sinners. He called all in attendance brethren. When someone was in a mortal sin as in the case of 1 Cor 5, he told those in regular attendance to throw such a person out of attendance. Welcome him back if he repents and stops said sin.

So, we are to firstly look after those who attend church with us. There is a type of sanctification on all in attendance. People don't keep going to church because they hate God.

Loyal
that Verse is not referring to the “institutional church” it isl addressing “the family of God” and others, the house of God is not a building with people names on the roster. God does not dwell in buildings, no matter where you are at, you are the Temple of God. if you have been “born from above” that is the only way to belong in the “family of God”. If you come up some other way, “you are a thief or robber. Personally I think we should lose that word church, and use the word Jesus used “My Congregation”. “

Jubilee Bible 2000
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, a small rock and upon the large rock I will build my congregation {Gr. ekklesia – called out ones}, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against her.
(Matt. 16:16). A more word for word translation of the text.❤ (A Trump-up word called “church”). “Wake-up thou that sleepiest “. You are asleep in the light!❤️

Loyal
A 'pastor' is being referred to. A 'pastor' is the over seer / leader of a local body of believers coming to a place to worship together.

KingJ is getting a bit of the RCC background in talking about mortal sins. In reality it doesn't matter -- the poster is talking about who to be helping 1st -- the person in the local body of Christ who are meeting together or those outside of and in the community.

And, yes, all believer's bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit -- and -- where two or three are gathered together, there I am in the midst of them. That is the universal body of believers -- all those who have the Holy Spirit indwelling them.
The local church is spoken of in the New Testament. Having a bishop or overseer being a man and having deacons being of the same reputation.

The matthew 16:18 passage -- the context starts with vs 14 vs 16 "Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ , the Son of the living God."

Jesus Christ is the chief cornerstone of the church. and 'we' people -- born-again believers are the little rocks all around.

Matthew 21:42 "Jesus said to them, "Have you never read in the Scriptures: "the stone which the builders rejected, Has become the chief cornerstone, This was the Lord's doing, that it is marvelous in our eyes"

The Jewish people rejected Jesus Christ as a baby as their promised Messiah. Peter was not being rejected.

Paul and Peter were 'chosen' to present the Gospel unto salvation to the Jews / Gentiles.

Loyal
There is no indication of popes existing in the New Testament. Peter was never given that tittle in Scripture.

There Are however, qualifications for over-seers / bishop of a congregation found in Titus 1: 5 - 9 -- a man being blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of dissipation or insubordination. vs 7 is saying that That applies to a bishop / overseer. 1 Timothy 2 says the same thing.

That is how protestant churches are set up.

Loyal
Please re-read post # 2.

Paul addressed the brethren in attendance when he said Gal 6:10. Paul never said person A or person B in attendance were saints or sinners. He called all in attendance brethren. When someone was in a mortal sin as in the case of 1 Cor 5, he told those in regular attendance to throw such a person out of attendance. Welcome him back if he repents and stops said sin.

So, we are to firstly look after those who attend church with us. There is a type of sanctification on all in attendance. People don't keep going to church because they hate God.

Maybe that's one of the problems -- people feel 'safe' when in church. as per your last sentence of ' a type of sanctification'. There Is corporate worship taking place -- the Gospel unto salvation would be presented and those wishing to make personal decisions for Christ or church membership or baptism would be welcome to. In addition To whatever the pastor would feel led by the Holy Spirit to present to the people in the congregation.

There are those who go to church as a form of 'good works'. They remain lost sinners even though they've been sitting in a church service their entire lives. They Need to realize their personal need for having Jesus Christ as their Savior. And they need to accept Him as such and thank Him For their salvation.

People 'keep on going to church' for any number of reasons. Maybe it's been the 'family' church since Grandma and Grandpa went there. They sit through the service thinking about the family bbq waiting for them.
They've been told since being teenagers that 'you Will go to church' Period. And that's not always a Bad thing. But parents should Also be teaching / reading Bible at home with their kids. And kids Do tend to go through rebellious stages -- so going to Sunday School and Church as a family Needs to take place. Dad's being a good role-model for their sons and Mom's for the daughters. And there Should be activities for teens through the church. Outreach into the community. VBS programs to attend or help with.

Who's the Boss -- God, parents or kids. God should be 1st -- parents next and obedience from / expected in the kids.

Loyal
I still do not understand, why people used the world church, when referring to the early congregation of God, there was no buildings, people in cities still had to hide from being persecution, tortured, imprison and put to death by violent deaths. They were burn alive, torn to pieces by wild beasts, sawed into, pull apart with wild horses. Most of all the disciples died violent deaths clear up to 4 century, before Emperor Constantine and the other Emperor I think before him, in acting laws protecting “Christians” so just in saying that there was no such things as church buildings. Christians hid always moving around place to place. A lot of times there were spies in the mix. It was touch and Go. Most everyone here is familiar with acts and the Letters to the other cities and the dates they were written, most of the letters Paul wrote he was in prison when writing to the “congregation of God”. Most all of cities were in the providence of Rome. The “Christians” meetings were mostly secret. So no public so called church meetings. Paul and most of the Apostle most likely spoke in the “Square “ or sometimes spoke in the “common area” of the Temple. But suffered greatly for it. But not in any so called churches, how you see churches today in America. They do not look like “The early Ekklisia”. More like the “Pagans” Worship Centers, Or that Time. With the “goddess” Diana” highlighting the show! Check out “ISBE” it will testify!

I would like to draw attention to “Ananias and Sapphira”, here would be good, but I think it would cause another debate within a debate. Let’s save that for another time.❤️

Loyal
Okay -- your bio says you're from Michigan. You people get Cold in the winter -- do you worship out in the cold? or in a building with heating and indoor plumbing.

Actually, this subject area is about Christians helping other Christians.

That was back in that day and age. We live in the here and now.

The early churches were in Asia Minor. What was the climate like in That area. The entire situation was very different than now.

If you, up in MIchigan want to worship with a group of believers in the cold / snow, etc. Go right ahead. I suspect that Most people up there will be in a church building.

I was born in Northern Wisconsin and my sister and her family are in central Michigan. Guess where They meet. In a Church building. I was up there three years ago.

Loyal
You better quit picking with me, you know exactly what I am talking about! If you don’t I am going treat you just like Christ do the church!

Active
that Verse is not referring to the “institutional church” it isl addressing “the family of God” and others, the house of God is not a building with people names on the roster. God does not dwell in buildings, no matter where you are at, you are the Temple of God. if you have been “born from above” that is the only way to belong in the “family of God”. If you come up some other way, “you are a thief or robber. Personally I think we should lose that word church, and use the word Jesus used “My Congregation”. “

Jubilee Bible 2000
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, a small rock and upon the large rock I will build my congregation {Gr. ekklesia – called out ones}, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against her.
(Matt. 16:16). A more word for word translation of the text.❤ (A Trump-up word called “church”). “Wake-up thou that sleepiest “. You are asleep in the light!❤
A building is evidence of the person in charge doing his job properly. If I was elected as the pastor and took the congregation to a swamp or an open area where the public has full view of us, the congregation would still be the body but a foolish body that entrusted a fool to organize gatherings.

Active
KingJ is getting a bit of the RCC background in talking about mortal sins. In reality it doesn't matter -- the poster is talking about who to be helping 1st -- the person in the local body of Christ who are meeting together or those outside of and in the community.
If one Christian is an axe murderer and the other, one who doesn't shower often, it doesn't matter. Ok, noted. :D

Loyal
@KingJ -- An axe murderer is Probably going to be in prison -- going to a prison chapel service if he/ she wants to. And the 'axe-murderer' having been caught and put in prison Might be what Does allow him/ her to finally hear the Gospel unto salvation and become a born-again believer / Christian.

A person who doesn't shower often is Not committing a sin -- he/ she might not smell the best, but that's no sin. They still need to be hearing God's Word and need the fellow shipping with other believers. And That is probably going to take place within a church building as part of a congregation

Loyal
A building is evidence of the person in charge doing his job properly. If I was elected as the pastor and took the congregation to a swamp or an open area where the public has full view of us, the congregation would still be the body but a foolish body that entrusted a fool to organize gatherings.

KingJ -- you're sounding a Bit 'silly' -- the swamp and all. Could 'we' get back to reality?! You're making it sound like that congregation isn't very smart. Congregations are made up of people who want to hear the Word of God. They are all over the world. Depending on the geographical location, a church group Might be meeting outdoors being in a war-torn country. So - the idea Being that local church groups should be Both helping those from within the congregation And those in the community.

Some denominations Do appoint pastors to a given area. Baptist churches do not. They do accept applications from men interested in pastoring -- it's an interesting process. Done prayerfully.

I heard a pastor say christians only suppose to help other believer, i think its kind of mess up. What if you see a burning house with a non believers screaming for help do i just sit there or help them? I would try to help them
We should help anyone who has an emergency.

But in other cases, help the Christians brothers and sisters first but the criminals, if possible last.

Active
KingJ -- you're sounding a Bit 'silly' -- the swamp and all. Could 'we' get back to reality?! You're making it sound like that congregation isn't very smart. Congregations are made up of people who want to hear the Word of God. They are all over the world. Depending on the geographical location, a church group Might be meeting outdoors being in a war-torn country. So - the idea Being that local church groups should be Both helping those from within the congregation And those in the community.

Some denominations Do appoint pastors to a given area. Baptist churches do not. They do accept applications from men interested in pastoring -- it's an interesting process. Done prayerfully.
Sue, you are missing the points I have made in both posts.

Every-time you says sin is sin, you simply fail at judgement. I do not believe you are grasping the relevance of identifying and isolating a person who commits a mortal sin as in the case of incest that Paul identified in 1 Cor 5 or following what he teaches in 1 Cor 6:2-3 Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!

Then as for sanctification, please read and meditate on 1 Cor 7:14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. s though

I repeat my statement. Nobody attends church regularly because they hate God and Christianity. Just as nobody stays married to a believer because they hate the believer and reject all they believe in. There is so much truth to those who attend church and stick with believers being sanctified.

As for the point on a church building, please re-read your post and then mine. Your answer is as though you didn't read either.

Last edited:
Loyal
2Co 5:14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died;
2Co 5:15 and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. (ESV)

You have look at ALL men as someone whom Christ died for, and so act towards that person according to that understanding.

Active
My opinion is that of course we need to help all people and non believers aswell. And besides that's one of the ways to reach them for the gospel. The Bible is complete and teaches us how to show love to believers, non believers and everyone. " You shall love your neighbor as yourself " Matthew 22:39 However a true kind of love we can only show after accepting the love of Jesus for us on the cross. Then we will be able to love also people that will not always agree with us for everything. And obviously with non believers we can meet that obstacle. And even if we see them not accepting the gospel we mustn't give up and leave them just because they don't agree with us on this. With many we need to show patience and perseverance. Obviously there is a time that we have to leave them, but that's at last and only if we see that they can influence somehow our faith. We have to show love and also being watchful to keep our life pure. There is a verse as well in Matthew 5:46,47saying: " For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do? "
Here we see that we don't only have to care or worry for people like us, people with which is easier for us to associate. Obviously the Bible speaks about brotherly love and that's very important because for this love that we've got between us the world will recognise us as children of God. It is sad when we see brothers in faith discussing and separating each other. If both are TRUE children of God, it could happen but not at all that often, otherwise separations are meant to happen ( but that's another topic ). And we need to know that when Paul and the other apostles wrote these letters there were a lots of persecutions and Christians had to be really united and help each other. But what about loving someone who is different, who doesn't always agree with us, because it is there where the love of God is really manifested. To a question made from a pharisee about who his neighbour is, Jesus told him the story of the good Samaritan. Luke 10:25-37
There we see that he ( the Samaritan ) was completely different than the Jewish and despised by them and yet he helped that Jew on the road. This is where we see the love of God, because without it is impossible and not logical for us to love such a person. But with Him is possible. I personally always had some friends who don't believe, but they also know me as a christian. I can't send them away, because they don't believe, I only separate from them when is a question of a sin, or their way is leading me to it. That's the difference. Jesus was a friend of sinners, but not approving sin.