• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Abuse-is-not-a-reason-for-divorce.jpg

In no way, shape or form is this post condoning a husband abusing his wife. Violence in any form, is against the word of God! ⁠

Colossians 3:19 - Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.⁠

However, Jesus’ instructions to ‘turn the other cheek’, applies to both men and women, husbands and wives.⁠

Matthew 5:38-39 - “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.⁠

A husband who does not obey the word of God, is not a reason for a wife to rebel against her husband. ⁠

1 Peter 3:1-6 - Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives, ⁠

Suffering as a servant of Christ is mandated for every believer - men and women, husbands and wives. ⁠

1 Peter 2:19-20 - 19 For it is commendable if someone bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because they are conscious of God. 20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God.⁠

We must follow Christ’s example:⁠

1 John 2:6 - Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.⁠

Yet somehow, today’s Christian society has made women and wives exempt from following the teachings of Jesus. We must not align ourselves with the cultural and traditional norms of today’s society over the Bible’s teachings. The bible does not allow a wife to separate/divorce her husband for any reason, even if she is being abused.⁠

1 Corinthians 7:10 - To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. ⁠

Active
Divorce and making one safe is not the same thing. Staying with an abusive spouse getting yourself beat and possibly the children is not a good idea...One can make themselves safe with out divorce. We have Scripture of Jesus making Himself safe.

Joh 8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by

Divorce and making one safe is not the same thing. Staying with an abusive spouse getting yourself beat and possibly the children is not a good idea...One can make themselves safe with out divorce. We have Scripture of Jesus making Himself safe.

Joh 8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by
Jesus was not a wife? He had not made any marriage vow.

Active

In no way, shape or form is this post condoning a husband abusing his wife. Violence in any form, is against the word of God! ⁠

However, Jesus’ instructions to ‘turn the other cheek’, applies to both men and women, husbands and wives.⁠

Matthew 5:38-39 - “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.⁠

A husband who does not obey the word of God, is not a reason for a wife to rebel against her husband. ⁠

1 Peter 3:1-6 - Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives, ⁠

Suffering as a servant of Christ is mandated for every believer - men and women, husbands and wives. ⁠

1 Peter 2:19-20 - 19 For it is commendable if someone bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because they are conscious of God. 20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God.⁠

Yet somehow, today’s Christian society has made women and wives exempt from following the teachings of Jesus. We must not align ourselves with the cultural and traditional norms of today’s society over the Bible’s teachings. The bible does not allow a wife to separate/divorce her husband for any reason, even if she is being abused.⁠

1 Corinthians 7:10 - To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. ⁠
Dear Amos,

Certainly you would agree that adultery is always a valid basis for divorce. Jesus made it very clear that adultery is manifested when you lust in your heart. Jesus was serious when he said when you imagine yourself having sex with someone not your spouse, you have fornicated and committed adultery in your heart sufficient to warrant divorce. But you think: husbands, physically beat the living daylights out of your wife and you've given her no reason for divorcing you. Think about that.

Loyal
The Bible gives three reasons for marriage separation.

#1. Adultery
Matt 5:32; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
Matt 19:9; "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."

#2. Death
Rom 7:2; For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband.
Rom 7:3; So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man.

#3. An unbelieving spouse leaves you.
1Cor 7:12; But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her.
1Cor 7:13; And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away.
1Cor 7:14; For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.
1Cor 7:15; Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace.

Dear Amos,

Certainly you would agree that adultery is always a valid basis for divorce. Jesus made it very clear that adultery is manifested when you lust in your heart. Jesus was serious when he said when you imagine yourself having sex with someone not your spouse, you have fornicated and committed adultery in your heart sufficient to warrant divorce. But you think: husbands, physically beat the living daylights out of your wife and you've given her no reason for divorcing you. Think about that.
The scripture you are referring to only states a man may divorce his wife if she commits adultery not a wife. Matthew 5;32 and 19:9 There is absolutely no scripture in the bible that states a believing wife can divorce her husband ever for any reason. Only death separates her from her husband.

Cor

#1. Adultery
Matt 5:32; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
Matt 19:9; "And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."

#2. Death
Rom 7:2; For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband.
Rom 7:3; So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man.

1Cor 7:12; But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her.
1Cor 7:13; And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away.
1Cor 7:14; For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.
1Cor 7:15; Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace.
none of them allow a believing wife to divorce her husband. The first one is only to men. The other only the unbelieving spouse can divorce and the last in no divorce at all it’s becoming a widow.

Active
The scripture you are referring to only states a man may divorce his wife if she commits adultery not a wife. Matthew 5;32 and 19:9 There is absolutely no scripture in the bible that states a believing wife can divorce her husband ever for any reason. Only death separates her from her husband.
Amos,

Is Jesus then saying that a woman can lust in her heart after other men, or perhaps after other women, or beasts, and not be held to the same sinful standard to which you claim only applies to men?

If you want to be an absolute literalist, no woman can be saved and receive eternal salvation, since Jesus said "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him." John 6:44.

Think about that.

Active

Amos,

Are you now, or have you stopped, physically beating your wife?

Active

When a man abuses his wife he has broken the marriage covenant. The marriage is over....she has a perfect right to leave and as Reba says...It would be good to do so.

Active
Guess I should have been more clear. Getting to a physical safe place is not divorce. Also i made sure to use the word spouse because abuse is not always male on female.

The churches have failed in teaching the Biblical standard of marriage.

Active
How many poor women have been put in hospital or paid the ultimate price by staying with a violent bully of a husband? Husbands like that definitely don't love their wives as Christ loved the Church. She should get out of that abusive relationship and stay out. A home is meant to be a safe place, not somewhere you are scared every time your man is in the house or terrified of him coming home. Anybody who suggests otherwise is seriously deranged.

Active

#1. Adultery

#2. Death

A man that lusts in his heart for women other than his wife is unchaste - guilty of committing adultery. A man that physically beats and abuses his wife hates his wife and is likely lusting in his heart for other women.

Active
How many poor women have been put in hospital or paid the ultimate price by staying with a violent bully of a husband? Husbands like that definitely don't love their wives as Christ loved the Church. She should get out of that abusive relationship and stay out. A home is meant to be a safe place, not somewhere you are scared every time your man is in the house or terrified of him coming home. Anybody who suggests otherwise is seriously deranged.
Amen.

Active
Yet somehow, today’s Christian society has made women and wives exempt from following the teachings of Jesus. We must not align ourselves with the cultural and traditional norms of today’s society over the Bible’s teachings. The bible does not allow a wife to separate/divorce her husband for any reason, even if she is being abused
That is not true nor scriptural.
A wife has every right - 1Corinthians 7 - to separate herself and her children if need be - from a violent and abusive husband
1. it is not what marriage is about for such is a denial of love and certainly a violent denial of the following
Col 3:19 Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.
Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,
Eph 5:28 In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.

2. when a husband ceases to be a believing Christian and behaves with wickedness in the flesh then a wife is permitted to leave such
there is no testimony to the gospel in being battered and bruised and having one's life endangered.

Active
There is a testimony posted in Introductions by @Alhevs about her ex-boyfriend bashing her, and she has posted photos as well.
"I hope to share my testimony with you. On December 13, my ex tried to kill me, God saved me and allowed me to stay alive. I Accepted Christ as my savior, he frees me from my sins and forgives me. I hope soon to be ready to announce the good news of Christ."
Born Again | Talk Jesus

Active
1 Corinthians 7:10 - To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband.
1Cor 7:4 For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified in the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in the brother: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
1Co 7:15 Yet if the unbelieving departeth, let him depart: the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called you in peace.
an abusive violent husband becomes an unbeliever.

Active
@Amos Ministries - Christians are called to be the light of the world - to walk in the light - to be children of the light - to manifest the love of God
one cannot do any of this through violence and abuse to anybody whether spouse or neighbour - there is no testimony to the gospel in walking in the flesh

Gal 5:19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are sexual immorality, impurity, licentiousness,
5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, factions,
5:21 envy, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, which I am telling you, just as I said before, that the ones who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.