• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

About Love

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:5)

Active
you said Christ doesn't dispense his servants for the worlds benefit are we not to be
kind to who soever also whether they be folk of the world the lost or the
congregation
The epistles of 1&2 Timothy and Titus are sometimes referred to as pastoral
epistles because so much of the information therein pertains to ministerial conduct,
attitude, duty, and responsibility.

I would say that 2Tim 2:24b-26 is especially applicable to teachers. I can testify,
from years of personal experience, that many of the people attending Sunday
school classes are difficult students; not easy to reach.
_

Active
The epistles of 1&2 Timothy and Titus are sometimes referred to as pastoral
epistles because so much of the information therein pertains to ministerial conduct,
attitude, duty, and responsibility.

I would say that 2Tim 2:24b-26 is especially applicable to teachers. I can testify,
from years of personal experience, that many of the people attending Sunday
school classes are difficult students; not easy to reach.
_
Thankyou beetow
i just wanted to ask and i glady recieve your words x

Active
Titus 2:2 . . Older men are to be temperate, dignified, sensible, sound in faith, in love, in perseverance.

The koiné Greek word for "older men" is presbutes (pres-boo'-tace) which means: an old man. Presbutes is different than presbuteros, which refers to church officers; e.g. deacons (1Tim 5:17).

I used to get my watches serviced by an aging repairman at a local mall until the day finally came when I could no longer tolerate his manners. He was around seventy-five years old, cantankerous as can be, and perpetually cross. I often felt like asking him if he ever gave any thought to his future. You know, heaven is a place of peace. A hateful man like that repairman would not only never fit in there, but it wouldn't be fair to the others to permit him in their world.

"Cantankerous" can be defined as: habitually ill-humored, irritable, disagreeable, bearish, cankered, cranky, cross-grained, dour, morose, sour; crabby, cross, crusty, huffy, petulant, prickly, snappish; dyspeptic, ill-conditioned, thin-skinned, complaining, and ill-natured.

A Christian man in old age really ought to be a sweet, mellow guy: a pal and a big brother for the younger ones rather than somebody they'd prefer do the world a favor by stepping in front of a bus.
_

Active
Titus 2:3-5 . . The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becomes
holiness: not traducers, not given to much wine, teachers of right; that they may
train the young women to be sensible, to love their husbands, to love their children,
to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, and subordinate to their own
husbands; that the word of God not be dishonored.

Traducers are particularly ugly human beings; especially the kind that misrepresent
their own friends and say things about them that their friends would never
approve; thus needlessly disparaging their friends' reputations save for the pure
pleasure of having something to say about somebody.

Traducers aren't regular gossips, no, they're malicious gossips. Webster's defines
malice as: a deep-seated, often unexplainable desire to see another suffer. In other
words, traducers like to hurt people for no reason other than that it's gratifying.
We could hardly characterize malicious gossips as either good or discreet.

Too many women in America have been trained for marriage by militant feminism.
Far from teaching younger women to respect their husbands, feminism teaches the
younger women to stand up to their husbands; and rather than be keepers at
home, feminism has them out seeking means to compete with men and break the
so-called glass ceiling; and rather than love their children, feminism has them
dominating their offspring in a home-life society structured on divisions of labor,
command and control, tyranny, and regimentation. Those behaviors certainly can
never be categorized as honoring the word of God.
_

Active
Titus 3:2 . . malign no one, be non-contentious, gentle, showing every
consideration for all men.

The Greek word for "malign" is blasphemeo (blas-fay-meh'-o) which means: to
vilify, defined by Webtser's as: to lower in estimation or importance, and/or to utter
abusive statements against. In other words; blasphemeo is talking about tearing
people down and changing people's impression of them; mostly for the worse.
There's a lot of that goes on in the world of politics.

It probably goes without saying that the kind of vilification were talking about here
is mean-spirited and unwarranted. For example; is it tearing a Ponzi scheme mogul
like Bernie Madoff down to say that he's a louse of marginal integrity who can't be
trusted with other people's money? No; the man has been proven to be exactly
that.

"non-contentious" refers to peaceable; i.e. not ready to fight at the drop of a hat.

"gentle" actually means mild, i.e. temperate: exercising self restraint; viz:
controlling one's impulses.

"showing every consideration" is simply making an effort to avoid hurting people's
feelings for no good reason. This no doubt includes common courtesy along with
keeping a civil tongue in one's head.
_

Active
Titus 3:10-11 . . A man that is an heretic after the first and second admonition
reject; knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of
himself.

The Greek word for "heretic" is hairetikos (hahee-ret-ee-kos') which means: a
schismatic; which is someone in your very own church who causes dissent,
rebellion, division, discord, and disharmony.

Webster's defines an heretic as: 1) a dissenter from established church dogma;
especially one who disavows a revealed truth, and 2) one who dissents from an
accepted belief or doctrine; viz: a nonconformist.

I'm a former Catholics turned Protestant. However, I don't fit the definition of a
heretic. I'm what's known in Christian circles as an apostate; viz: defector; which
Webster's defines as people who forsakes one's cause, party, or nation for another
often because of a change in ideology.

Heretics don't usually defect; but remain inside to foster insurrection: to undermine
hierarchy, to bring about reform, to weaken unity, and to cause division. Every church
has its fair share of heretics and they can be very disruptive in a Sunday school
class.

The Greek word for "reject" is paraiteomai (par-ahee-teh'-om-ahee) which means:
to beg off; viz: deprecate, decline, and shun. In other words, don't give heretics the
time of day, i.e. don't engage them in discussions related to resisting your church's
leadership, its management practices, and/or its curriculum.

Some religions, e.g. Jehovah's Witnesses, practice total shunning; viz: not only in
church, but outside too; even in homes and families. That's pretty extreme and I
really don't think Paul means we should go that far with it; instead limit our shunning
to matters related to church life rather than regular life.
_

Active
Heb 10:24 . . And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love
and good deeds.

Man is a species of life that is quite naturally, and comfortably, inclined to provoke
and annoy each other and bring out the worst in their fellow men. It is Christ's
wishes that his own make an effort to do just the opposite; viz: bring out the best
in each other.
_

Active
Heb 12:14a . . Pursue peace with all men,

The Geek word for "peace" is eirene (i-ray'-nay) and means not only a lack of strife,
but also the presence of prosperity; which implies always seeking the good of
others rather than only your own.

People of peace are in an advantageous category.

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." (Matt 5:9)
_

Active
Heb 13:1 . . Let brotherly love continue.

The Greek word for "brotherly love" in that passage is philadelphia (fil-ad-el fee'
ah) which refers to fraternal affection. Philadelphia is different than the neighborly
love required by Matt 19:19 and Matt 22:37-40.

The Greek word for "love" in those passages is agapao (ag-ap-ah'-o) which doesn't
necessarily contain the element of affection; rather, it's an impersonal kind of love
exemplified in behaviors like courtesy, kindness, sympathy, civility, good will,
deference, and consideration. In other words, you don't have to be especially fond
of your neighbor in order to comply with Matt 19:19 and Matt 22:37-40. (cf. Matt
5:43-48)

Philadelphia love is difficult because it requires the involvement of one's affections,
viz: one's feelings rather than only their manners. A really good example is located
at John 16:27 where Jesus stated:

"Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I
came from God."

For those of us who grew up deprived of love; that passage is nigh unto impossible
to believe that God is actually, and truly, fond of us in any way at all.

"Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be
called the sons of God" (1John 3:1)

The manner of love that a normal father feels for his own children is far more
sensitive, than the love he might feel for his neighbor's children. A normal father's
love for his own children is down in his gut, viz: his affections.

There's no fondness expressed in passages like John 3:16; which speaks of
benevolence but not necessarily fondness and affection. God cares for the world,
yes, but that doesn't mean that He likes the world. In point of fact, God quite
despises the world; it disgusts Him and He'd really like for the world to give Him
reason to improve His opinion.
_