• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Blinded, not able to really understand the bible??

Active
Galatians 3:2 could be added to the discussion here " This only would I learn of you, received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of FAITH?
indeed the whole 3rd chapter is about remaining in the faith and not being moved o justify yourself, as you have already been justified and sealed simply by the faith you received.
Why are you still debating @B-A-C , since there is no agreement with the two of you?

Active
As discussed earlier. The "works of the law" in Galatians, is ceremonial law, circumcision. The whole book of Galatians is about circumcision.
Funny you should say that as there is not a single word about circumcision in chapter 3, it's all about justification by faith. Might want to read 3 again

Loyal
Funny you should say that as there is not a single word about circumcision in chapter 3, it's all about justification by faith. Might want to read 3 again

I didn't say chapter 3. But it is what the book is about.

Gal 2:12; For prior to the coming of certain men from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he began to withdraw and hold himself aloof, fearing the party of the circumcision.
Gal 5:2; Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you.
Gal 5:3; And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law.
Gal 5:6; For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but faith working through love.
Gal 5:11; But I, brethren, if I still preach circumcision, why am I still persecuted? Then the stumbling block of the cross has been abolished.
Gal 6:15; For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation.

Gal 2:3; But not even Titus, who was with me, though he was a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised.
Gal 2:7; But on the contrary, seeing that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised
Gal 2:8; (for He who effectually worked for Peter in his apostleship to the circumcised effectually worked for me also to the Gentiles),
Gal 2:9; and recognizing the grace that had been given to me, James and Cephas and John, who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, so that we might go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.
Gal 6:12; Those who desire to make a good showing in the flesh try to compel you to be circumcised, simply so that they will not be persecuted for the cross of Christ.
Gal 6:13; For those who are circumcised do not even keep the Law themselves, but they desire to have you circumcised so that they may boast in your flesh.

Active
Galatians 3:2 could be added to the discussion here " This only would I learn of you, received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of FAITH?
indeed the whole 3rd chapter is about remaining in the faith and not being moved o justify yourself, as you have already been justified and sealed simply by the faith you received.
This is what I wrote. Nothing about the whole book of Galatians, just chapter 3. Your muddying the waters by adding to what I posted. But what else would I expect it seems to happen on
nearly every thread. Nobody here listens to anybody but themselves. So I guess when judgment comes we will see as all are standing on their own understanding. So be it.

Active
Doyou think they way we live enables us to understand the bible?? If we are living in sin, will God let us really understand the bible??

If we dont have true integrity will God let us understand his word?
When you trust Jesus Christ to be your Good Shepherd & ask Him to help you receive His words as well as to help you apply His words so you can follow Him by His grace & by His help, then He will help you understand His words.

After all, He died for us while we were yet sinners and we called on Him to save us from our sins while we were yet sinners, and so if we surrender to that same hope in Him in being our Good Shepherd as we had done towards Him as our Saviour by believing in Him, then by His help, we can believe He will help us to understand His words as well as help us to follow Him for He is the power for living that reconciled relationship with God and that is thru Jesus Christ.

Adding encouragement to pray.

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Believe Him that you shall receive wisdom and answers from the Lord and not things that is not good for you nor really help you.

Romans 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? 32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

John 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Active
Are you claiming others here changed their minds to your beliefs because of something you said?
Usually no one here changes their mind as they already have a belief in place before showing up. All I can say is that there are 316 likes from 1539 messages. That number of messages
seems to be a high number but a large majority are the same message. People just see it on a different thread. That said I suppose the like to message ratio is somewhere in the 30%
range. Some who are not as able to converse will not engage, others do not maybe because of the attacks that obviously come after a post. This is not a boast just a statement of fact.

Active
Usually no one here changes their mind as they already have a belief in place before showing up. All I can say is that there are 316 likes from 1539 messages. That number of messages
seems to be a high number but a large majority are the same message. People just see it on a different thread. That said I suppose the like to message ratio is somewhere in the 30%
range. Some who are not as able to converse will not engage, others do not maybe because of the attacks that obviously come after a post. This is not a boast just a statement of fact.
Sounds like you speak against me for things that pertain to yourself. There is a word for that.

Active
Is the any verse in the Bible that says it's by Faith "alone". Or is the word "alone" something you added yourself?
There is a verse in the Bible that says it's not by faith alone. In fact it's the only verse in the Bible where "faith" and "alone" are in the same verse together.
Yes that is James 2:17 "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone."

One witness to this statement.
Secondly the WORKS that He is referring to are those that help the widows and the Fatherless, being merciful, doing good things as opposed to evil. These works have nothing to do with
ones initial salvation. They are a confirmation of ones salvation having occurred.
Do we not lend expecting to not be repaid, do we take evil and give good, do we not suffer for His names sake? These are the works that produce a mature son of God. Not initial salvation.
Our dying daily to self is considered in this passage, looking on the things of others over ourselves.

Hebrews 4:9 "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that hath entered into His rest hath ceased from His own works, as God did from His."

If one has ceased from their own works then they are resting in God, knowing they are justified by His grace through the faith they received. This issue of works goes deeper in that
if one has truly ceased he would only do what the Father gave him to do just as Jesus did.

Active
My post says nothing at all about you. Not sure where you get that misunderstanding.
You need to follow the links to our discussion. You said you don't want to discuss with me because my mind is made up. Well so is everyone else's including your own! Why are you discussing at all then according to what you claim?

Active
You need to follow the links to our discussion. You said you don't want to discuss with me because my mind is made up. Well so is everyone else's including your own! Why are you discussing at all then according to what you claim?
start at page one and follow my posts on this subject as I do not want to write them again. Then come back and try to debate with me if you care by then.

Active
I'm not the one looking for anything from you. Debate with some one else. You have added nothing to me and apparently I have added nothing to you so let it go at that.
You keep repeating that. Show where you are debating someone whom you got something from or they got something from you. You need to practice what you preach and not debate anyone then.