Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

Zaccheus gets salvation

Discussion in 'Bible Chat' started by B-A-C, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Luke 19:1; He entered Jericho and was passing through.
    Luke 19:2; And there was a man called by the name of Zaccheus; he was a chief tax collector and he was rich.
    Luke 19:3; Zaccheus was trying to see who Jesus was, and was unable because of the crowd, for he was small in stature.
    Luke 19:4; So he ran on ahead and climbed up into a sycamore tree in order to see Him, for He was about to pass through that way.
    Luke 19:5; When Jesus came to the place, He looked up and said to him, "Zaccheus, hurry and come down, for today I must stay at your house."
    Luke 19:6; And he hurried and came down and received Him gladly.
    Luke 19:7; When they saw it, they all began to grumble, saying, "He has gone to be the guest of a man who is a sinner."
    Luke 19:8; Zaccheus stopped and said to the Lord, "Behold, Lord, half of my possessions I will give to the poor, and if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I will give back four times as much."
    Luke 19:9; And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because he, too, is a son of Abraham.
    Luke 19:10; "For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost."

We see that Jesus is on the move here. He seems He was always traveling somewhere. This particular time He is passing through Jericho, about 12 miles north east of Jerusalem. This the city that Rahab the harlot is from. It's the city that Joshua marched around seven times. I suspect God is on the move a lot more than we realize sometimes.

Now there is a tax collector. Verse 2 says "he was rich". Tax collectors didn't seem to have high morals during that time. Tax collectors are mentioned in a negative light several times in the new testament. I have a friend who works for the IRS. He is a Christian, a common joke between us, is that he is a "tax collector".

Note that despite the fact that Zacceus is a tax collector. He is looking for Jesus. Looking for Jesus. Just a little three word phrase. But yet that made all the difference. Some people are looking for Jesus. I think people are looking harder than others.

Zaccheus was willing to make the effort to climb a tree in order to see Jesus. Some people want to see Jesus,
    they just aren't willing to make the effort. Now it says that Zaccheus was "small in stature". This is taken as he was a short guy. But Zaccheus didn't let this stop him. Some people make a lot of excuses on why it is too hard "to go meet jesus".

So Jesus passes by the sycamore tree. ... and He looks up. Who does he see? I find it interesting that there were so many people here crowding around Jesus (that seemed to be the case often) that Zaccheus had to climb a tree, and yet out of all of those people in the crowd. Jesus picks out one person. I wonder if God knows the people who are looking for Him. Those who "diligently seek Him". The Bible says He rewards those people.

So Jesus tells Zaccheus that is coming to his house. It says Zaccheus "hurried" down to meet Jesus. He didn't tarry, he didn't wait, he didn't think about it. He didn't even check his busy schedule. It says "he received Him 'gladly'". Are you glad you met Jesus?

Now of course when you meet Jesus. The enemy doesn't like it. Satan doesn't like it. Some people around you won't like it. So it says here that the crowd began to "grumble". They were Jesus is going to see that "sinner"!!! Gasp!! How could He? Yet we were all there at some point. It seems even people in "the church" sometimes grumble if someone isn't up to "their" standards. Yet it seems Zaccheus was up to Jesus's standards. Perhaps simply because Zaccheus was looking for Him.

The next verse is somewhat controversial. Zaccheus says he is giving half of his possessions to the poor.
    He also says he going to pay back four times as much to people he cheated.

Now personally I don't think that Zaccheus got saved by making this statement, or giving the money back.
    Works don't save us. But I do think that by doing this, Jesus saw a repentant heart. I think God wants to see repentance.

In the next verse Jesus says... " salvation has come to this house ".

In the last verse here.. we see one of the main reasons Jesus came.
    "For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost."

Fragrant Grace likes this.