• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Writing New Scripts About Women

Staff Member
Late one afternoon, after his midday rest, David got out of bed and was walking on the roof of the palace. As he looked out over the city, he noticed a woman of unusual beauty taking a bath. 2 Samuel 11:2 NLT

In public, is it a sin to see a beautiful woman? No, it’s not. Is it a sin to notice, keep looking, and then lust after that beautiful woman? Yes, of course it is. It all comes down to scripting.

You’ve heard about the Hollywood scriptwriters behind blockbuster movies. You’ve also heard the scripts being recited by every unwanted robocall you get. What you’re not used to doing, however, is writing your own scripts for predictable life situations. Then again, if you’re not writing your own scripts, who is?

In public, when you see a beautiful woman, why not recite a counterintuitive script of thanksgiving to God? That script could say, “Lord, thank You for the beauty with which you make woman.” Okay, that wording is a bit clunky, but maybe that’s the point—to take your thoughts captive for Christ. It works!

Prayer: Lord, You know I see beautiful women in public. Each time I do, I will thank You for the beauty with which You make woman.

Active
Late one afternoon, after his midday rest, David got out of bed and was walking on the roof of the palace. As he looked out over the city, he noticed a woman of unusual beauty taking a bath. 2 Samuel 11:2 NLT

In public, is it a sin to see a beautiful woman? No, it’s not. Is it a sin to notice, keep looking, and then lust after that beautiful woman? Yes, of course it is. It all comes down to scripting.

You’ve heard about the Hollywood scriptwriters behind blockbuster movies. You’ve also heard the scripts being recited by every unwanted robocall you get. What you’re not used to doing, however, is writing your own scripts for predictable life situations. Then again, if you’re not writing your own scripts, who is?

In public, when you see a beautiful woman, why not recite a counterintuitive script of thanksgiving to God? That script could say, “Lord, thank You for the beauty with which you make woman.” Okay, that wording is a bit clunky, but maybe that’s the point—to take your thoughts captive for Christ. It works!

Prayer: Lord, You know I see beautiful women in public. Each time I do, I will thank You for the beauty with which You make woman.
Don't fool yourself. We all look or have looked, and indeed it is woman's beauty we behold, but lust always creeps in. I have spent the last hour looking at mid-late spring flowering perennials to plant in my yard. Behold their beauty, as the Lord has said: none are arrayed such as these, not even Solomon.

Instead, when you behold the beauty of the opposite sex, pray this: Lord, please forgive me for the thought that just entered my mind. Please strengthen my repentance, strengthen my faith, and strengthen your will in me to avoid such temptations. In Jesus's mighty and holy name. Amen.

Staff Member
Don't fool yourself. We all look or have looked, and indeed it is woman's beauty we behold, but lust always creeps in. I have spent the last hour looking at mid-late spring flowering perennials to plant in my yard. Behold their beauty, as the Lord has said: none are arrayed such as these, not even Solomon.

Instead, when you behold the beauty of the opposite sex, pray this: Lord, please forgive me for the thought that just entered my mind. Please strengthen my repentance, strengthen my faith, and strengthen your will in me to avoid such temptations. In Jesus's mighty and holy name. Amen.
Dear JFM,
Not fooling myself brother. :)
Another way to look at what one might consider beautiful in the opposite gender, is to see them as ones mother, or sister. I have a picture of my mother when she was young, in which it is easy to see how beautiful she was. Yet, I don't lust after her. Still, there are commercials, movies that show the opposite gender who are attractive, and can easily have one crossing the line thought wise. One can look at something without the need to lust, but one knows the attraction one can have to another who is not your wife, and I believe turning and running away immediately is the best way of dealing with the temptation. I'm sure with David it was not a casual glance, but rather a prolonged one, and one that found her probably naked since she was bathing.

I do like the prayer you shared. Best to remove oneself from the area of the temptation, while praying!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this brother.
With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Active
Dear JFM,
Not fooling myself brother. :)
Another way to look at what one might consider beautiful in the opposite gender, is to see them as ones mother, or sister. I have a picture of my mother when she was young, in which it is easy to see how beautiful she was. Yet, I don't lust after her. Still, there are commercials, movies that show the opposite gender who are attractive, and can easily have one crossing the line thought wise. One can look at something without the need to lust, but one knows the attraction one can have to another who is not your wife, and I believe turning and running away immediately is the best way of dealing with the temptation. I'm sure with David it was not a casual glance, but rather a prolonged one, and one that found her probably naked since she was bathing.

I do like the prayer you shared. Best to remove oneself from the area of the temptation, while praying!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this brother.
With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><
Yes, better to turn and run from it altogether than to glance even a little. Amen, brother.

Loyal
I was just talking to my wife earlier how (someone at work was fired for sexual harrasment, is how the topic started) man is naturally (as in God created desire) interested in a woman's beauty and how the actual act of fornication is sort of disgusting. If it were not for the innate desire, mankind would have disappeared off the face of the earth long ago. But we "always" have a choice on how to act upon anything natural, with either appreciation and RESPECT, or without respect and the corruption of the natural. Man (and women) usually pick the second, and blame all natural responses (in the case of bodies) on lust (of the eyes, and I forget the other type of lust). When David saw the woman bathing and saw that she was beautiful, desire "naturally" came up, but what he did with that choice to act upon, was to pick the corruption of it. Some wiser actions (than what he did) would have either turned away to keep desire from increasing concerning the woman, and focus on something Godly to take the place of those unrespectful thoughts, or even better, being the king... having the woman brought to the king with his guards near the woman (not left alone), and tell the woman that she was seen, and to not bathe anymore where she can be seen, lest she inflame the desires of others (then let her go-saying nothing to the husband, no reason to make matters worse).

Active
If God had not put lustful desires in the hearts of men, then no one would procreate, and women would be merely like a well done portrait . Its a natural reaction . Saying that, I too have changed how I percieve a woman, now its just a beautiful woman walking down the street, and admiring glance and move on. Its not that difficult to change your mindset.

Active
If God had not put lustful desires in the hearts of men, then no one would procreate, and women would be merely like a well done portrait . Its a natural reaction . Saying that, I too have changed how I percieve a woman, now its just a beautiful woman walking down the street, and admiring glance and move on. Its not that difficult to change your mindset.
If lust is a sin, did Adam lust for Eve before the fall? GOD commanded them before the fall to be fruitful and multiply. There must, therefore, be a natural physical/spiritual reaction other than lust that brings a man and woman together sexually.

Loyal
If lust is a sin, did Adam lust for Eve before the fall? GOD commanded them before the fall to be fruitful and multiply. There must, therefore, be a natural physical/spiritual reaction other than lust that brings a man and woman together sexually.
Do you know the mind of God in this matter? For it seems that you want to call natural desire lust, therefore (with your logic) you call good evil. You assume that because you dont understand how God made man internally, you make up things to suit your viewpoint. Not wise.

Active
Do you know the mind of God in this matter? For it seems that you want to call natural desire lust, therefore (with your logic) you call good evil. You assume that because you dont understand how God made man internally, you make up things to suit your viewpoint. Not wise.
So you are saying lust is not a sin? Even though Jesus said lust is as much a sin as the actual deed of adultery. Jesus was in the beginning God. Therefore Jesus, as God, spoke and told Adam and Eve to have sex with one another, not to lust after one another. Calling lust a sin comes directly from the mouth of God. Where do you find your idea that God says lust is not a sin: from the natural fallen world? That'd ne my guess.

Loyal
So you are saying lust is not a sin? Even though Jesus said lust is as much a sin as the actual deed of adultery. Jesus was in the beginning God. Therefore Jesus, as God, spoke and told Adam and Eve to have sex with one another, not to lust after one another. Calling lust a sin comes directly from the mouth of God. Where do you find your idea that God says lust is not a sin: from the natural fallen world? That'd ne my guess.
I am saying God does not create desire that is lust. He does not create honeytraps for us so He can chuckle about so many falling prey to it. My Lord doesnt do that. So there is a desire that is Godly and we are not able to distinguish, so some say all desire is lust and others say all desire is natural, so its okay. Neither assumption is correct. Are you wise enough to tell God and to teach someone the exactly correct way?

Active
I am saying God does not create desire that is lust. He does not create honeytraps for us so He can chuckle about so many falling prey to it. My Lord doesnt do that. So there is a desire that is Godly and we are not able to distinguish, so some say all desire is lust and others say all desire is natural, so its okay. Neither assumption is correct. Are you wise enough to tell God and to teach someone the exactly correct way?
Brother, God's word is all the truth I need to know what God's mind is relative to the issue of lust, and God's word, directly from God's mouth as recorded in Matthew 5:28, calls lust a sin equal to that of adultery.

Loyal
Brother, God's word is all the truth I need to know what God's mind is relative to the issue of lust, and God's word, directly from God's mouth as recorded in Matthew 5:28, calls lust a sin equal to that of adultery.
Can you see that it was called lust, and not desire? Why do you think that is?

Active
Can you see that it was called lust, and not desire? Why do you think that is?
The Greek use many different words to describe what we in the English speaking world use just one word for similar action, for example: the word love in English can be used to describe your favorite ice cream. But in Greek, the word for love differs according to context: agape, storge, phileo, all mean love, but contextually the word used makes the reader understand which sort of love is being discussed.

It's made very clear contextually that the word for lust (epithymēsai), used in Matthew 5:28, denotes a very strong sexual desire. The word still refers to strong desire or covetousness, but to a strong illicit sexual desire. Why? Because Jesus was explaining that this sort of desire is sinful and is what defiles a mans heart and soul.

Loyal
The Greek use many different words to describe what we in the English speaking world use just one word for similar action, for example: the word love in English can be used to describe your favorite ice cream. But in Greek, the word for love differs according to context: agape, storge, phileo, all mean love, but contextually the word used makes the reader understand which sort of love is being discussed.

It's made very clear contextually that the word for lust (epithymēsai), used in Matthew 5:28, denotes a very strong sexual desire. The word still refers to strong desire or covetousness, but to a strong illicit sexual desire. Why? Because Jesus was explaining that this sort of desire is sinful and is what defiles a mans heart and soul.
You just arent getting it. Why do you think the marriage bed is undefiled when what you describe as lust occurs?

Active
Undefiled definition is - not made corrupt, impure, or unclean : not defiled : untainted, uncorrupted. How to use undefiled in a sentence.
A man lusting after his own wife (love and desire for his bride) is not sinful and is not the same as a man lusting after a woman not his wife (just sex, adultery), which is sinful.

Loyal
A man lusting after his own wife (love and desire for his bride) is not sinful and is not the same as a man lusting after a woman not his wife (just sex, adultery), which is sinful.
Ahhh, so you FINALLY admit there are some situations where the urges one feels isnt sinful. Why was that sooooooo hard to admit?

Loyal

You are going to get in trouble. LOL, When is a "christian" women more valuable. to a "christian man" and what determines her value? Think very slow. o_O

Active
Ahhh, so you FINALLY admit there are some situations where the urges one feels isnt sinful. Why was that sooooooo hard to admit?
I never said all urges or desires are sinful. I have a very strong desire to know God and love God more and more each day the same way HE knows and loves me. I have a very strong desire that my life and all that I do in my life is pleasing to God. I have a very strong desire to be in God's will in both thought and in deed. None of my foregoing very strong desires are sinful. Lust, which is a very strong sexual desire, iis sinful if it is directed at or toward someone other than one's spouse.

For you to suggest that I said all strong desires are sinful is simply intellectually dishonest.

In the future, please don't accuse me of something I did not do. Thank you.