• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Word on the web/6 October

Staff Member
6 October 2007

Ephesians 6 v 14-17

So stand strong, with the belt of truth tied around your waist and the protection of right living on your chest. On your feet wear the Good News of peace to help you stand strong. And also use the shield of faith with which you can stop all the burning arrows of the Evil One. Accept God's salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

This is the pre-battle preparation scene that we find in so many action films, where the hero saddles up his horse and puts on all his armour ready for the fight, or pulls on their camouflage gear and picks up their gun. It would be ridiculous if they wandered out onto the battlefield without any weapons, defences or attack strategies, and the same is true as we stand up to 'fight against the devil's evil tricks' (v11).

It's not a definitive list, but Paul here outlines the essentials that we'll need in order to survive and thrive in battle. And, just as in a physical battle, these are not simply possessions that we collect; they are tools that we need to learn how to use and to maintain so they don't fall into disrepair.

There's a lot to explore in these verses, but here's just a few ideas about how to wear this armour: get stuck into your Bible, because it will teach us how to recognise truth - for example, if we're feeling like we're worth nothing we know it's a lie cos the Bible tells us "we are God's masterpiece" (Eph 2:10) - it will tell us if we are living right, and will give us verses to repel the devil (that's just what Jesus does when he's tempted). Get praying, because our faith will grow stronger as we see God answer prayer. And rest in the peace of God's salvation because that knowledge will protect our minds from attack and will motivate us to keep on running.

Holy Spirit come fill me now and clothe me in your armour so that I can fight for your kingdom today. Show me how to use the Bible, prayer and meditation to defend myself and to bring you glory. Train me up cos I want to join your army of kingdom warriors.

Written by Tom thingyburn