• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Women, church and head coverings

Active
What does the reader here think?
Does a man feel a woman should in this regard?
Does a woman feel she should in this regard?

Hello!,

Woman here..of course I do. I started a few years ago when I was able to. When we woman are wearing head coverings... we are actually obeying God's command and showing reverence for Him. It is a way to humble ourselves before the Lord and demonstrate our obedience to His word. This opinion of mine will NEVER change.

Every time I go I imagine myself walking into a church, wearing a head covering as a symbol of my submission to God. It is a visible sign of my reverence for the Lord. I am basically humbling myself before Him and showing my obedience to His word.

1 Corinthians 11:6
For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

Have a nice evening!

Winter,

Loyal
What kind of head covering are you referring to?
Isn't having hair on your head a covering.

Active
Hello!,

Woman here..of course I do. I started a few years ago when I was able to. When we woman are wearing head coverings... we are actually obeying God's command and showing reverence for Him. It is a way to humble ourselves before the Lord and demonstrate our obedience to His word. This opinion of mine will NEVER change.

Every time I go I imagine myself walking into a church, wearing a head covering as a symbol of my submission to God. It is a visible sign of my reverence for the Lord. I am basically humbling myself before Him and showing my obedience to His word.

For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

Have a nice evening!

Winter,
What a lovely attitude, but it's for the sister's discretion as to whether she want to follow Paul's advice and should never be a church dictat, for we live in an age of grace rather than rules and regulation.

What kind of head covering are you referring to?
Isn't having hair on your head a covering.

It is the hair that you cover. For Christians we can wear white, for me I just use a square cloth that I fashion for my head. I will try and put some images. I do agree with @Andyindauk, you should do this of your own freewill and do it if you wish. I believe of its importance as I take all scripture seriously.

1 Corinthians 11:5-6 - "But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head."

Loyal
I've been in church all my life and have never seen a woman wear a head covering. But in the churches I've been in the men do the praying and women do not volunteer to pray or prophesy. So therefore no need the women to wear a head covering.

I've been in church all my life and have never seen a woman wear a head covering. But in the churches I've been in the men do the praying and women do not volunteer to pray or prophesy. So therefore no need the women to wear a head covering.

Not many people do anymore, some do, I came from Anglican and even at catholic church their are only a few. My personal experience is when I enter the church it is 'the house of prayer', and when I enter I pray, after all when we say 'amen' to me it is listening and praying alongside everyone. I also wear a head covering when I pray at home to. It depends on what you think of scripture, if you want to do it then try. Do not fall into the trap of ' no one else does it' be your own person and choose what you believe is right. No one else did it when I began then after a few weeks some people started as well, some people need to feel validation before doing it.

I have many friends who do and don't do this. I am fine with everyone of their decisions.

Loyal
Church is a place to worship God which includes many things. Prayer being one of them.
Why do you wear your head covering at home.

Church is a place to worship God which includes many things. Prayer being one of them.
Why do you wear your head covering at home.

When I pray, I pray for about 30 minutes, when I bible study... I pray and study for hours. I find when I use my head covering I focus more on the Lord and his word. Seen as I wear it as church my find focuses straight to that. Additionally, my husband knows when I wear my head covering it is ' wifes time with God' and to leave me be. He plays worship music so I know not to enter the room when he is praying. He does not tend to talk to me about faith and usually about other things in the past so its a rule.... when we pray to the Lord we are separate and then at night we pray together . Plus I prefer not having anyone watch my whilst I have my prayer./study time, its deeply personal and rather private as well. I hope I made sense.

Overall for me, when I wear the covering I feel blessed in many ways... and when I pray and study the scripture it keeps me focused.

Hello!,

Have a nice evening!

Winter,
Hi I have personally a warm feeling in your approach. Anyone that has a display of themselves that honors God is actually quite extraordinary. A number of things happen at the viewing inside me. There is first an admiration. Second there is a question that arises from within does this woman / girl honor God on a daily basis more than me? It causes me to ask that question in somewhat of a challenging manor toward myself. What else is interesting is that if I look to study that person no one really knows what I am thinking and that leads to the point I am really getting at and that is covering or not, legalistic obedience, or loving honor, no one really knows what goes on inside of anyone else and if Winter, you did not tell us we would not know. So thanks for sharing.

Loyal
Besides women teaching in the Church, women wearing a veil in a Church service are the two most hotly debated topics in Christianity today.
The early Church had problems concerning the roles of men and women in the Church after Jesus Christ had set both men and women free from the bondage of sin into glorious liberty!

People from all walks of life began filtering into all the churches everywhere. There was a city in which Paul visited called, “Mitylene” (Acts 20:14). Mitylene was a city on the island off the coast of Greece called, “LESBOS”. Lesbos is where we get the word “LESBIAN”. This island of lesbos had a very large group of women who dressed as men and kept their hair “short” like found on a man.

It was an abomination to God for women to wear men's clothing, and for men to wear women's clothing! (Deut 22:5) Men are supposed to look like men, and women are to look like women! This was God's divine order.
There is no doubt that some of these women got saved and became part of one of the churches founded by the Apostle Paul. In this context, Paul addresses the Church at Corinth which was in Greece.

1Co 11:3 But I want you to understand that THE HEAD OF EVERY MAN IS CHRIST, THE HEAD OF A WIFE IS HER HUSBAND, and the HEAD OF CHRIST IS GOD.

1Co 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his HEAD COVERED, dishonoureth his head.
1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with HER HEAD UNCOVERED dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
1Co 11:6 For if the woman BE NOT COVERED, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
The problem here is in not understanding what it means to have a head “COVERED” or “UNCOVERED”
Three times in this chapter the word, “HAIR” is referred to. Hair is the subject of this discourse.

1Co 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that if a man has LONG HAIR, it is a shame unto him?
1Co 11:15 But if a woman has LONG HAIR, it is a glory to her: for HER HAIR is GIVEN HER FOR A COVERING.
Then we find that a woman's “LONG HAIR” was given to her for a “COVERING”

What covers, or uncovers a head? Hair!
The entire half chapter is talking about “HAIR”!!
We know it has nothing to do with a cloth-made veil or any kind of hat because God told Moses how the High Priest and other priests served in the Tabernacle that they were required to wear hats!!! (Exo 39:28)

The last time I checked God has made us (as there is no male or female in Christ) (Gal 3:28) to be kings, and priests! (Rev 5:10)
A man praying with his head covered has nothing to do with any kind of veil or hat. It had to do with his hair!!!
Both women and men have hair on their heads, but it is it's “LENGTH” that makes the difference whether it dishonors. Women with “SHORT”, or shaved heads were considered to be immoral, adulterers, and worldly.

Just to make sure we don't get it wrong to what Paul is talking about he says this...

1Co 11:14 DOTH NOT EVEN NATURE ITSELF TEACH YOU, that, IF A MAN HAVE LONG HAIR, IT IS A SHAME UNTO HIM?
1Co 11:15 But IF A WOMAN HAVE LONG HAIR, it is a glory to her: for HER HAIR IS GIVEN HER FOR A COVERING.

A man to have “LONG HAIR” was a shame to him! But a woman with “LONG HAIR” it is her glory, and IT IS HER “COVERING!!!!
For a man to pray with his head “COVERED” means for him to have long hair like a woman which is a shame to him and it dishonors his head which I Christ!

1Co 11:6 For if the woman BE NOT COVERED, let her also be shorn: but if it is a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
For a woman to “BE NOT COVERED” means she has short hair like a man! You can NOT cut, or shave a piece of cloth material!!!
A woman with long hair is her cover and it is her glory.

When I pray, I pray for about 30 minutes, when I bible study... I pray and study for hours. I find when I use my head covering I focus more on the Lord and his word. Seen as I wear it as church my find focuses straight to that. Additionally, my husband knows when I wear my head covering it is ' wifes time with God' and to leave me be. He plays worship music so I know not to enter the room when he is praying. He does not tend to talk to me about faith and usually about other things in the past so its a rule.... when we pray to the Lord we are separate and then at night we pray together . Plus I prefer not having anyone watch my whilst I have my prayer./study time, its deeply personal and rather private as well. I hope I made sense.

Overall for me, when I wear the covering I feel blessed in many ways... and when I pray and study the scripture it keeps me focused.
That is pretty excellent. I find that there are things we as believers do that bring us to move towards God. Mine is music and working out that gets me beyond myself but to convey graciousness towards others throughout the day is another. I every night put an audio Bible dark screen dramatized version of The Psalms. I look forward to it every night.

Besides women teaching in the Church, women wearing a veil in a Church service are the two most hotly debated topics in Christianity today.
The early Church had problems concerning the roles of men and women in the Church after Jesus Christ had set both men and women free from the bondage of sin into glorious liberty!

People from all walks of life began filtering into all the churches everywhere. There was a city in which Paul visited called, “Mitylene” (Acts 20:14). Mitylene was a city on the island off the coast of Greece called, “LESBOS”. Lesbos is where we get the word “LESBIAN”. This island of lesbos had a very large group of women who dressed as men and kept their hair “short” like found on a man.

It was an abomination to God for women to wear men's clothing, and for men to wear women's clothing! (Deut 22:5) Men are supposed to look like men, and women are to look like women! This was God's divine order.
There is no doubt that some of these women got saved and became part of one of the churches founded by the Apostle Paul. In this context, Paul addresses the Church at Corinth which was in Greece.

1Co 11:3 But I want you to understand that THE HEAD OF EVERY MAN IS CHRIST, THE HEAD OF A WIFE IS HER HUSBAND, and the HEAD OF CHRIST IS GOD.

1Co 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his HEAD COVERED, dishonoureth his head.
1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with HER HEAD UNCOVERED dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
1Co 11:6 For if the woman BE NOT COVERED, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
The problem here is in not understanding what it means to have a head “COVERED” or “UNCOVERED”
Three times in this chapter the word, “HAIR” is referred to. Hair is the subject of this discourse.

1Co 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that if a man has LONG HAIR, it is a shame unto him?
1Co 11:15 But if a woman has LONG HAIR, it is a glory to her: for HER HAIR is GIVEN HER FOR A COVERING.

We know it has nothing to do with a cloth-made veil or any kind of hat because God told Moses how the High Priest and other priests served in the Tabernacle that they were required to wear hats!!! (Exo 39:28)

The last time I checked God has made us (as there is no male or female in Christ) (Gal 3:28) to be kings, and priests! (Rev 5:10)
A man praying with his head covered has nothing to do with any kind of veil or hat. It had to do with his hair!!!
Both women and men have hair on their heads, but it is it's “LENGTH” that makes the difference whether it dishonors. Women with “SHORT”, or shaved heads were considered to be immoral, adulterers, and worldly.

Just to make sure we don't get it wrong to what Paul is talking about he says this...

1Co 11:14 DOTH NOT EVEN NATURE ITSELF TEACH YOU, that, IF A MAN HAVE LONG HAIR, IT IS A SHAME UNTO HIM?
1Co 11:15 But IF A WOMAN HAVE LONG HAIR, it is a glory to her: for HER HAIR IS GIVEN HER FOR A COVERING.

A man to have “LONG HAIR” was a shame to him! But a woman with “LONG HAIR” it is her glory, and IT IS HER “COVERING!!!!
For a man to pray with his head “COVERED” means for him to have long hair like a woman which is a shame to him and it dishonors his head which I Christ!

1Co 11:6 For if the woman BE NOT COVERED, let her also be shorn: but if it is a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
For a woman to “BE NOT COVERED” means she has short hair like a man! You can NOT cut, or shave a piece of cloth material!!!
That my brother is a lot of hair splitting ( where The Spirit of The Lord is there is freedom.)

How old are you and do you have any children?!

Erm,

I am not sure why my age is relevant, youthful or wise woman can wear a head covering... it is still beautiful. Though I shall be 27 in about 5-6 months. I have no kids yet, I am unsure if I can actually as I have a few medical conditions at the moment. If I have any daughters they can copy 'mummy' if they wish but when they turn a certain age, not sure yet. I will talk about why I wear one and why others don't. Probably at 13 or 16.

Hi I have personally a warm feeling in your approach. Anyone that has a display of themselves that honors God is actually quite extraordinary. A number of things happen at the viewing inside me. There is first an admiration. Second there is a question that arises from within does this woman / girl honor God on a daily basis more than me? It causes me to ask that question in somewhat of a challenging manor toward myself. What else is interesting is that if I look to study that person no one really knows what I am thinking and that leads to the point I am really getting at and that is covering or not, legalistic obedience, or loving honor, no one really knows what goes on inside of anyone else and if Winter, you did not tell us we would not know. So thanks for sharing.

To answer your question, potentially no. The Lord is still working on me, over this lent I am trying to become closer even more so, I attempt to pray everyday however it can be hard due to work commitments. Though I smile and thank the Lord more then I used to, even for the little blessings in life. I am not the best wife yet, I still need to work on myself. I am not the best with my Job yet, I am still working on it. I used to have many commitments, a very good compensate Job and was very blessed until I got sick. For two years I struggled and a while ago I finally accepted the case. Now I can move on and move up, rebuild my blessing one by one.
Honoring God on a daily basis is following his scripture every moment, to me its the case ' would our Lord disapprove of this?' honoring the Lord means to avoid anything that would be disapproved, which is rather hard with the secular culture.

Erm,

I am not sure why my age is relevant, youthful or wise woman can wear a head covering... it is still beautiful. Though I shall be 27 in about 5-6 months. I have no kids yet, I am unsure if I can actually as I have a few medical conditions at the moment. If I have any daughters they can copy 'mummy' if they wish but when they turn a certain age, not sure yet. I will talk about why I wear one and why others don't. Probably at 13 or 16.

To answer your question, potentially no. The Lord is still working on me, over this lent I am trying to become closer even more so, I attempt to pray everyday however it can be hard due to work commitments. Though I smile and thank the Lord more then I used to, even for the little blessings in life. I am not the best wife yet, I still need to work on myself. I am not the best with my Job yet, I am still working on it. I used to have many commitments, a very good compensate Job and was very blessed until I got sick. For two years I struggled and a while ago I finally accepted the case. Now I can move on and move up, rebuild my blessing one by one.
Honoring God on a daily basis is following his scripture every moment, to me its the case ' would our Lord disapprove of this?' honoring the Lord means to avoid anything that would be disapproved, which is rather hard with the secular culture.
I am going to make it a point to pray for you Winter. I like you. You are kind inside.

Your thoughts rather interesting and was a great read, I would like to review it. I still prefer to continue wit my covering, I still believe in modesty and not attracting any attention in church. I am going to research into the 1 co 11.6, thank you for your input, it was well written and objective.

I am going to make it a point to pray for you Winter. I like you. You are kind inside.

And I to you.

Active
What does the reader here think?
Does a man feel a woman should in this regard?
Does a woman feel she should in this regard?
Paul gives it as a command. The women are to cover. Most western churches don't do it anymore, but for most of Christian history it was done.

Paul gives it as a command. The women are to cover. Most western churches don't do it anymore, but for most of Christian history it was done.
Ok let me extend a question then what is the difference in value? Does a man equal a woman? Does a woman equal a man? I am perplexed by the rule. Is it cultural? Why is the difference not a perfectly obvious natural one? Men are drawn to women and is it not callousness hiding in the heart that would assign them to any lesser place but equal? I never argue with the bible. I know the perfection of spirit is found in it. But not just wife or woman but everyone is to be placed in a place of equality always. If that were not so how do you frame your Justice. The covering doctrine must have more than the simple word. There must be a meaning and context that sets the details of meaning. To be candid I don't know what they could be. But Equality is an position that I could not compromise at all with. Women are not pets and that is the place inequality assigns them.

Active
Ok let me extend a question then what is the difference in value? Does a man equal a woman? Does a woman equal a man? I am perplexed by the rule. Is it cultural? Why is the difference not a perfectly obvious natural one? Men are drawn to women and is it not callousness hiding in the heart that would assign them to any lesser place but equal? I never argue with the bible. I know the perfection of spirit is found in it. But not just wife or woman but everyone is to be placed in a place of equality always. If that were not so how do you frame your Justice. The covering doctrine must have more than the simple word. There must be a meaning and context that sets the details of meaning. To be candid I don't know what they could be. But Equality is an position that I could not compromise at all with. Women are not pets and that is the place inequality assigns them.
The woman was created as a helpmate.

18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
Ge 2:18.

The man was created first and the woman was created out of the man. Therefore, Paul says that the man is the head of the woman.

3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. (1 Cor. 11:3 NKJ)

His reason for the headcover is the created order. God is the head of Christ. Christ is the head of man. Man is the head of woman. Referring back to the passage from gen 2:18 he says,

8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. 9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. 10
( 1 Co 11:8–10.)

For this reason he concludes that a woman should cover her head because of the angels.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
( 1 Co 11:10.)

It seems a lot of people miss this part about the angels, yet, it's the reason for the headcover. What is it about the angels? Satan and about one third of the angels rebelled and left their ranks.

6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day
( Jud 6.)

The apostle Paul says that God is using the church to make known his manifold wisdom to the principalities and power in the heavens.

10 to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places,
11 according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord,
12 in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him.
(Eph. 3:10-12 NKJ)

Because God is using the church to make known his wisdom to the principalities and powers the women should have their heads covered. This acknowledges their rank. Each one has a rank. The Father is the Head, the Son is under the Father. Man is under the Son, and the woman is under the man. This is God's created order. If the women don't cover they are rejecting their rank. If the men do cover they reject their rank. That is what the angels who fell did. They rejected their rank. By each of us Christians acknowledging our ranks we show the justice of God.

Last edited: