• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Woes

Loyal
Scripture talks about woes, as behaviors of people. I post some on the topic.

Prov 23:29 Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has contentions? Who has complaints? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes?
Scripture seems to show woe as someone in a sad state of affairs. Sometimes it can be a righteous woe, sometimes an unrighteous woe.

Job 10:15 If I am wicked, woe to me; Even if I am righteous, I cannot lift up my head. I am full of disgrace; See my misery!
Seems to be a "somewhat" righteous woe, acknowledging that despite our woes, we recognize that we are without excuse in being so proud as to be unworthy of hard times.

Job 14:1 Man who is born of woman Is of few days and full of trouble.
Life on earth is short comparatively speaking compared to the eternity of the Spirit. And even if we dont cause the trouble, it will find us.

Eccl 4:10 For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, For he has no one to help him up.
We are not meant to be alone, neither without God or without our fellow man. For it is woe when we fall, and we are all fallen.

Eccl 10:16 Woe to you, O land, when your king is a child, And your princes feast in the morning!
The land and the people of the land have woe when those in charge are not responsible and dont serve justice, for then those whose God is money and power will live for injustice and it will hurt both the land and the people.

Isaiah 3:9 The look on their countenance witnesses against them, And they declare their sin as Sodom; They do not hide it. Woe to their soul! For they have brought evil upon themselves.
Pride in their sin gives harm to their soul and more evil into their hearts.

Isaiah 3:11 Woe to the wicked! It shall be ill with him, For the reward of his hands shall be given him.
The wicked shall be punished as reward for their actions. Its a promise, so dont despair when the wicked seem to prosper. You dont see all things with your physical eyes.

Isaiah 5:8 Woe to those who join house to house; They add field to field, Till there is no place Where they may dwell alone in the midst of the land!
Those who are never content with the plenty they have but make sure others dont have a place of their own when dwellings are scarce.

Isaiah 5:11 Woe to those who rise early in the morning, That they may follow intoxicating drink; Who continue until night, till wine inflames them!
Bad things happen to those that live their lives in drunkeness or a drugged state.

Isaiah 5:21Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, And prudent in their own sight!
If you are not humble, you will see problems arise because of it.

Isaiah 10:1Woe to those who decree unrighteous decrees, Who write misfortune, Which they have prescribed
Bad things happen to those in power who deliver injustice to the people. Its a promise, God always keeps His promises.

Isaiah 17:12 Woe to the multitude of many people Who make a noise like the roar of the seas, And to the rushing of nations That make a rushing like the rushing of mighty waters!
Bad things happen to the nations and large groups of people who sow discord and violence.

Isaiah 31:1 Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help, And rely on horses, Who trust in chariots because they are many, And in horsemen because they are very strong, But who do not look to the
Holy One of Israel, Nor seek the Lord!
Trust in the Lord, not the things the world considers powerful.

Lamentations 3:38 Is it not from the mouth of the Most High That woe and well-being proceed?
Good and bad come from the Lord, seek the good. And dont complain to much when the bad comes your way. The life of flesh is short.

Ezekiel 13:1 Woe to foolish prophets.
And who are the foolish prophets? Both the false prophets AND the prophets who avoid the responsibility the Lord has given them to speak out no matter the persecution that follows.

Ezekiel 24:9 Therefore thus says the Lord God: “Woe to the bloody city! I too will make the pyre great.
Nations and cities will suffer greatly when violence becomes the fabric of the place.

Amos 5:18 Woe to you who desire the day of the Lord! For what good is the day of the Lord to you? It will be darkness, and not light.
Those who think you are God's children when your actions speak otherwise, the day of the Lord will only bring you shame.

Matt 18:7 Woe to the world because of offenses! For offenses must come, but woe to that man by whom the offense comes!
Do your best to NOT be offensive to others, dont start something with the intent to offend or hurt.

Most of Matthew chapter 23

These verses are but a sampling of woes stated in scripture. How many are we guilty of?

Active
Woe IS an action. So is judgement.
Woe doesn’t mean,this could happen,it is,this is going to happen. The warning is over,now it’s reap the consequences

Loyal
Woe IS an action. So is judgement.
Woe doesn’t mean,this could happen,it is,this is going to happen. The warning is over,now it’s reap the consequences
Well you are certainly allowed to believe whatever you will, you always do.