• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Witnessing

Loyal
The art of witnessing has become something of a lost art amongst many Christians.
In fact many Christians don't even think it's necessary.

Jesus gave us the great commission...

Matt 28:19; "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
Matt 28:20; teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Mark 16:15; And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.
Mark 16:16; "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.
Mark 16:17; "These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues;
Mark 16:18; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

We should be witnessing to everyone. Inviting everyone to come to Jesus.

God is a rewarder.. of those who "seek" Him.

Heb 11:6; And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

God has appointed a time to everyone in every nation that they would seek Him.

Acts 17:26; and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation,
Acts 17:27; that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;

An often quoted verse is God draws them... but He doesn't just draw some, He draws all men to Him.

John 12:32; "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."
Heb 7:25; Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.
Jas 4:8; Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded

This doesn't "just happen". He wants people to go make it happen.
People need faith to come to God, but where does this faith come from?

Rom 10:17; So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

How will they hear?

Rom 10:14; How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?
Rom 10:15; How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!"
Rom 10:16; However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, "LORD, WHO HAS BELIEVED OUR REPORT?"

Loyal
God doesn't want ANYONE to not be saved.

2 Pet 3:9; The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

1 Tim 2:3; This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,
1 Tim 2:4; who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Matt 18:14; "So it is not the will of your Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones perish.

Luke 10:2; And He was saying to them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.
Luke 10:3; "Go; behold, I send you out as lambs in the midst of wolves.

Active
I heard some false teachers say we dont need to do any witnessing cos Jesus will come back as a lion. Lol.

Um no.

Loyal
I heard some false teachers say we dont need to do any witnessing cos Jesus will come back as a lion. Lol.

Jesus is coming back, with a sword. But if you aren't saved by this time it will be too late.
During the millennial reign I'm not sure if everyone will love Him or not, but it won't matter He will be ruling them with
a rod of iron.

Rev 19:11; And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse, and He who sat on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and wages war.
Rev 19:12; His eyes are a flame of fire, and on His head are many diadems; and He has a name written on Him which no one knows except Himself.
Rev 19:13; He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.
Rev 19:14; And the armies which are in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, were following Him on white horses.
Rev 19:15; From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty.
Rev 19:16; And on His robe and on His thigh He has a name written, “KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.”

Psa 2:8; ‘Ask of Me, and I will surely give the nations as Your inheritance, And the very ends of the earth as Your possession.
Psa 2:9; ‘You shall break them with a rod of iron, You shall shatter them like earthenware.’”

Rev 2:26; He who overcomes, and he who keeps My deeds until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations;
Rev 2:27; and he shall rule them with a rod of iron, as the vessels of the potter are broken to pieces, as I also have received authority from My Father;

Rev 12:5; And she gave birth to a son, a male child, who is to rule all the nations with a rod of iron; and her child was caught up to God and to His throne.

Active
Rod of iron isnt anything to do with lions.
Actually a rod is what a shepherd uses for his sheep...rod and staff in psalm 23

Loyal
When I was a brand new Christian I thought it was a wonderful thing when the church we attended went out pounding on doors, witnessing to people...That day about eight hundred doors got hammered on...One single person accepted Jesus as Savior. I went out a couple more times with a deacon of that church. He was going to show me how its done....What a waste of time. That was forty three years ago...I've never done it since.
Jesus most effective witness was his life... People were drawn to Him because of His Love...Then Jesus said "
Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Live your life so that people see Him in you and they will be drawn to Him... Walk in His love and let His love shine in and through you.

And it works!! You live the Word, walk in Love and they will come to you asking. "I want what you have. How do I get saved too?

Active
Door knocking is what Jehovah witnesses do.

Christians are not JWS I learned early on, we not on an election campaign for Jesus.

God has better methods. Think what a life changing thing it is for people to know Jesus..its not something that you can really present to people in three minutes and expect people to convert right there and then.

But having said that you never know that 800 doors you knocked on might have been the seed planted on those peoples lives that later when the time was right someone else watered and it grew.

Active
Literally anything is better then nothing. I won't knock someone knocking on doors if they feel lead to do that.

If people don't convert initially, a seed has definitely been sewn.

Even bull horn road side evangelists get my thumbs up :wink:.

Active
My friend became a christian when her neighbours knocked on her door and she and her sister were saved on the doorstep so it does happen...

But I also think just do what God directs you to do and leave the rest up to Him.

I think of all the tracts Ive just left places and in letterboxes and I have no idea if anyone read them but that not to mean I would not do it and deem it a waste of time just beause I personally dont witness anyone being saved.

Sometimes you are the messenger and ita great when you can share and see someone transformed. Some mission fields are ripe for harvest and you just need to be there at the right time. I remember one girl several of us witnessed to at a church that had free lunch for students...many internationals encountering Jesus for the first time, having come from countries with few christians. They were so eager to learn about God and read the Bible, and to find out who Jesus is. Her face just lit up when she found out how much God loves her.

Loyal
Just living our lives from day to day and moment to moment as we are led by the Holy Spirit, it the best witness we can give. The scripture says:

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." Rom 12:1

Of course, the problem for all of is that we all too frequently quench Holy Spirit in us and move on out on our own Help is always there. Why did Paul write:

"Pray without ceasing" I Thess 5:17

"Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice." Phil 4:4

Why did he say to do them if it was impossible? They are only impossible for the natural man doing his natural things. For the Holy Spirit in us, nothing is impossible. So don't quench the Spirit! Ask God to help you NOT quench the Spirit!

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:" Matt 7:7

If we simply take hold of His promises and lean not on our own understanding, we will be among the best witnesses for God that there are.

Give God the glory!

Loyal
It's called the "great commission", but really.. it's the "only" commission we have as Christians.

Loyal
This is something I have been trying to practice and get better at,speaking boldly to people about Christ, all my close friends here the message loud and clear from me, but I would like to get more comfortable talking about it to strangers, I have been practicing though, but I need lots of work and prayers on it for sure.

Loyal
I find it strange that numerous times above I read the words, doing it this way or that way, 'is a waste of time'.

Is it?

Just because someone shuts the door in our face or bad mouths us doesn't mean the seed wasn't planted. It also doesn't mean that someone else planted the seed and we have just shed light on it, helped it grow, even though at this stage the seed may still be in the ground, in the dark, not yet in the light. How does a seed grow that is in the dark, under the surface of the earth? By watering and by the warmth it receives from above. Are we not to shed the warmth and light from above?

It is a bit of a niggle I have, probably because I know several people who fit what I am to say. They say that they bring people to Christ, their aim is to get the crown for saving as many souls as possible, all highly recommended, except that it is not us that saves a soul, they may be the last one in a very long row of prayer, over many years, for that person to come to Christ and be saved. The fact that we may not see a person accept Christ into their life when we witness does not mean we have failed, nor does it mean it was a waste of time, we are not to look for results, we are to remain humble and pray always.

Pray without ceasing and give thanks that our Lord intercedes ALL our prayers, and no prayer returns void, especially when we pray according to His Will, and His Word.

Hearts have to change, we are sowers of the seed, we are helpers in the germination and growing process. God's speed the seeds grow,

Luke 15:7 (NKJV)
7 I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

The flower blossoms, when the seed and plant have grown sufficiently, it cannot blossom until it is ready. So it is with the heart unto salvation.

Blessings

Loyal
I find it strange that numerous times above I read the words, doing it this way or that way, 'is a waste of time'.

Is it?

Just because someone shuts the door in our face or bad mouths us doesn't mean the seed wasn't planted. It also doesn't mean that someone else planted the seed and we have just shed light on it, helped it grow, even though at this stage the seed may still be in the ground, in the dark, not yet in the light. How does a seed grow that is in the dark, under the surface of the earth? By watering and by the warmth it receives from above. Are we not to shed the warmth and light from above?

It is a bit of a niggle I have, probably because I know several people who fit what I am to say. They say that they bring people to Christ, their aim is to get the crown for saving as many souls as possible, all highly recommended, except that it is not us that saves a soul, they may be the last one in a very long row of prayer, over many years, for that person to come to Christ and be saved. The fact that we may not see a person accept Christ into their life when we witness does not mean we have failed, nor does it mean it was a waste of time, we are not to look for results, we are to remain humble and pray always.

Pray without ceasing and give thanks that our Lord intercedes ALL our prayers, and no prayer returns void, especially when we pray according to His Will, and His Word.

Hearts have to change, we are sowers of the seed, we are helpers in the germination and growing process. God's speed the seeds grow,

Luke 15:7 (NKJV)
7 I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

The flower blossoms, when the seed and plant have grown sufficiently, it cannot blossom until it is ready. So it is with the heart unto salvation.

Blessings

excellent point to bring up, never thought of that in that way I like it !!! :) This reminds me of why it so important to live out the light in us, so we can show them even before we tell them sometime.

Loyal
excellent point to bring up, never thought of that in that way I like it !!! :smile: This reminds me of why it so important to live out the light in us, so we can show them even before we tell them sometime.

The Church is the body of Christ brother, we are not all left hands or right feet, together God is Glorified through Jesus as we each contribute together in His Love, one with another.

Bless you.

Loyal
As for winning souls that is not our job, as such.

We are workers of the field, looking after the crops, seeking out the weeds, we are commission to bring people to Jesus, or at least try to, God is the Lord of the harvest.

It can take one prayer for a person's salvation, though very unlikely, but 1000's may have been raised by 100's of faith servants before the penny drops, before a person accepts Jesus is their Lord, He actually shed His Blood for their sins, they can be forgiven.

It can take many saved souls, hundreds at times to share the Truth in The Word, to share Jesus, it is doubtful, but not impossible, that any one soul will accept Jesus first time they are told what he did for us, someone else at sometime will have mentioned Jesus to them but it fell on deaf ears. God will not let us boast, a plant cannot grow without seed, water and the right conditions. So it is with coming to Jesus our heart as to be opened.

Bless you.

The art of witnessing has become something of a lost art amongst many Christians.
In fact many Christians don't even think it's necessary.

Jesus gave us the great commission...

Matt 28:19; "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
Matt 28:20; teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Mark 16:15; And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.
Mark 16:16; "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.
Mark 16:17; "These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues;
Mark 16:18; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

We should be witnessing to everyone. Inviting everyone to come to Jesus.

God is a rewarder.. of those who "seek" Him.

Heb 11:6; And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

God has appointed a time to everyone in every nation that they would seek Him.

Acts 17:26; and He made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation,
Acts 17:27; that they would seek God, if perhaps they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;

An often quoted verse is God draws them... but He doesn't just draw some, He draws all men to Him.

John 12:32; "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."
Heb 7:25; Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.
Jas 4:8; Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded

This doesn't "just happen". He wants people to go make it happen.
People need faith to come to God, but where does this faith come from?

Rom 10:17; So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

How will they hear?

Rom 10:14; How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?
Rom 10:15; How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!"
Rom 10:16; However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, "LORD, WHO HAS BELIEVED OUR REPORT?"

Amen!!

This is something I have been trying to practice and get better at,speaking boldly to people about Christ, all my close friends here the message loud and clear from me, but I would like to get more comfortable talking about it to strangers, I have been practicing though, but I need lots of work and prayers on it for sure.

Try not 2 worry!! God uses us in different ways 2 match are characters, I'd say try 2 find ur nitch, your maybe better at speaking to a certain demographic. Maybe try different things and see wat God anoints, and also keep praying 2 him about it, i'm sure he will move something in ur life. It was very awkward for me at 1st, I started wiv just standing outside a supermarket and handing out tracks dat I actually made on vista print. Then I moved 2 train stations and other places. Then I found dat most people wouldn't accept dem speshly wen I would say " learn about God/jesus " so den I moved from dat 2 talking and having a conversation wiv people and I den found dat more effective, I wud den give dem a track afterwards, I still get mixed receptions tho. Ask him wat hes called u 2 do! all comes wiv faith also.

Loyal
As for winning souls - that is not our job, as such.

We are workers of the field, looking after the crops, seeking out the weeds, we are commission to bring people to Jesus, or at least try to, God is the Lord of the harvest.

It can take one prayer for a person's salvation, though very unlikely, but 1000's may have been raised by 100's of faith servants before the penny drops, before a person accepts Jesus is their Lord, He actually shed His Blood for their sins, they can be forgiven.

It can take many saved souls, hundreds at times to share the Truth in The Word, to share Jesus, it is doubtful, but not impossible, that any one soul will accept Jesus first time they are told what he did for us, someone else at sometime will have mentioned Jesus to them but it fell on deaf ears. God will not let us boast, a plant cannot grow without seed, water and the right conditions. So it is with coming to Jesus our heart as to be opened.

As for witnessing - It IS our job

Bless you.