• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Wild at Heart?

Wild at Heart ? ? ?

Hi everyone? Hope all is well with you all today!

Has anyone ever heard of this book ' Wild at Heart ' by John Eldredge?

I'm worried about my 2 brothers, in the Church they go to, teaches this book as a Bible tool they use along with expaining the Bible.

My husband just recently found out on-line, that this book teaches men to be dangerous, and yet even gay {homosexuality} ?

*genesis

Last edited:
Staff Member
Amazon give some information on the book on their web site with readers reviews too.

Amazon.com
If Christian men are going to change from a pitiful, wimpy bunch of "really nice guys" to men who are made in the image of God, they must reexamine their preconceptions about who God is and recover their true "wild" hearts, writes bestselling author John Eldredge in Wild at Heart: Discovering a Life of Passion, Freedom, and Adventure. Eldredge throws down the gauntlet--men are bored; they fear risk, they refuse to pay attention to their deepest desires. He challenges Christian men to return to authentic masculinity without resorting to a "macho man" mentality. Men often seek validation in venues such as work, or in the conquest of women, Eldredge observes. He urges men to take time out and come to grips with the "secret longings" of their hearts. Although the book succeeds best in its slant toward a male audience, it also strives to help women understand the implications of authentic masculinity in their relationships with men.

Eldredge frames the book around his outdoor experiences and appealing anecdotes about his family, sprinkling the text with touches of humor and overlying everything with heartfelt passion. Even as he mixes eclectic ideas about masculinity from popular movies such as Braveheart with classic words from Oswald Chambers, and lyrics from the Dixie Chicks with stories from the Bible, he points to only one answer for men searching for their true wildness of heart. Writes Eldredge, "The only way to live in this adventure ... with all its danger and unpredictability and immensely high stakes ... is in an ongoing, intimate relationship with God." --Cindy Crosby

Book Description
God designed men to be dangerous, says John Eldredge. Simply look at the dreams and desires written in the heart of every boy: To be a hero, to be a warrior, to live a life of adventure and risk. Sadly, most men abandon those dreams and desires-aided by a Christianity that feels like nothing more than pressure to be a "nice guy." It is no wonder that many men avoid church, and those who go are often passive and bored to death. In this provocative book, Eldredge gives women a look inside the true heart of a man and gives men permission to be what God designed them to be-dangerous, passionate, alive, and free.

God bless :love: :rainbow: :rose:

i am reading that book right now. it is simply marvelous so far. a great and well written book.

I totally disagree with this book!

No-offense, but I totally disagree with this book! For one thing there are no scriptures to even back this up!

Here is what a interview said about this book;

The color in black is the interview & the color in green in my opinion.

Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul

A Battle to fight. An Adventure to live. A Beauty to rescue. This is what a man longs for. This is what makes him come alive. Look at the films men love.

Some of the films men love are filled with violence & sexual lust! The New testament says: Away then with sinful, earthly things; deaden the evil desires lurking within you; {Colossians 3:5}

For that matter, look at the dreams of little boys, the games they play.

Just what kind of games is he referring to?

There is something fierce, passionate, and wild in the heart of every man. That is how he bears the image of God. And the reason that most men "live lives of quiet desperation" (Thoreau) is because men have been told that the reason God put them on earth is to be a good boy. To be nice.

I'm sorry, but I really do think this man is speaking way out of line & is out to mislead GOD'S children, whether he realizes it or not!

Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Plus, Jesus is passive & kind, even if He had to be stern at times when needed to be.

And when Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, He overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,
And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Yes, Jesus was angry, but still that didn't make Him bad guy! He still was a good & righteous man who, practice The Will of His Father, The Almighty GOD & Jesus led a passive life style!

God designed men to be dangerous.

God designed men to be dangerous? In what way? Charles Manson was dangerous, too!

Simply look at the dreams and desires written in the heart of every boy: To be a hero, to be a warrior, to live a life of adventure and risk.

I'm sorry but that doesn't mean that GOD wants us to be dangerous!
The minute we are born we are born into sin. Sin exist with in us, along with foolish desires & temptations.{Ephesians 2:3}

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites,
10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

That is why men (or women, too) have these dreams and desires written in the heart of every boy (or girl): To be a hero, to be a warrior, to live a life of adventure and risk.

Then he continue to say;

Sadly, most men abandon those dreams and desires--aided by a Christianity that feels like nothing more than pressure to be a nice guy. It is no wonder that many men avoid church, and those who go are often passive and bored to death.

This sounds so misleading!
Most people, that go to Church often is because they love to! And they love talking & chatting with others & to everyone about GOD'S love & about Jesus Christ & His love for us all, how He died for us all because He loved us so much.
No! Most people that do go to church often 'Do Not' find it boring!!!!!

Then he continue to say;

Now, in all your boyhood dreams growing up, did you ever dream of becoming a nice guy?

Who does this guy think he is?

And then he say;

Ladies, was the Prince of your dreams dashing... or merely nice?

I'll have you know the man of my dreams happen to be just that!
Handsome & very nice!

But that isn't even relevant! When we grow up we realize that looks don't matter but what inside the heart, soul & mind of one we truly want to marry,does!

He says;

"We've taken away the dreams of a man's heart and told him to play the man." As C.S. Lewis said, 'We castrate the gelding and bid him be fruitful."

This is a lie! Just because Jesus asked us to follow HIM & to become Christ like, through Him, doesn't mean that man is told to "play the man!"

I still have my dream & my dream is to Worship The Almighty GOD through Christ Jesus & His Teachings with the hope to become holy as HE is holy. 1 Peter 1:15 Which I believe also relates to 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

And then he says;

This is a message about the recovery and release of a man's heart--his passions, which he has been given by God.

I find this all to be terribly misleading!

To take that adventure, visit our store for the book and the Wild at Heart Field Manual--a personal guide to the masculine journey. For those adventuring with a band of brothers, we have a Wild at Heart: A Band of Brothers Video Series. And if you're looking for more, you'll want to click on our Events to learn about our Wild at Heart Boot Camp Retreats

*Remember what the Bible says! Remember GOD'S Word! And remember the teachings of our Beloved Savior, Christ Jesus!*

Away then with sinful, earthly things; deaden the evil desires lurking within you; have nothing to do with sexual sin, impurity, lust and shameful desires; don't worship the good things of life, for that is idolatry.
God's terrible anger is upon those who do such things.
You used to do them when your life was still part of this world;

but now is the time to cast off and throw away all these rotten garments of anger, hatred, cursing, and dirty language.

Don't tell lies to each other; it was your old life with all its wickedness that did that sort of thing; now it is dead and gone.

You are living a brand new kind of life that is continually learning more and more of what is right, and trying constantly to be more and more like Christ who created this new life within you.

In this new life one's nationality or race or education or social position is unimportant; such things mean nothing. Whether a person has Christ is what matters, and he is equally available to all.

Since you have been chosen by God who has given you this new kind of life, and because of his deep love and concern for you, you should practice tenderhearted mercy and kindness to others.

Don't worry about making a good impression on them but be ready to suffer quietly and patiently.

Be gentle and ready to forgive; never hold grudges. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.

* Most of all, let love guide your life, for then the whole church will stay together in perfect harmony.

* Let the peace of heart which comes from Christ be always present in your hearts and lives, for this is your responsibility and privilege as members of his body. And always be thankful.

Remember what Christ taught and let his words enrich your lives and make you wise; teach them to each other and sing them out in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing to the Lord with thankful hearts.

And whatever you do or say, let it be as a representative of the Lord Jesus, and come with him into the presence of God the Father to give him your thanks. Colossians 3:5-17

In the same way, males stopped feeling natural sexual drives for females and burned up in their lust for one another-- males with males. They do what is shameful, but they must receive in themselves the consequences for this error.

Also, since they didn't want to allow God to stay within their circle of knowledge, God handed them over to worthless thinking, to do things they should never do.

They are filled with all kinds of wrong, with evil, greed, and depravity. They are full of jealousy, murder, fighting, tricks, malice, gossiping,
slander, hatred for God, insults, pride, boasting, and new ways to do evil.

They don't obey their parents. They always break promises. They are stupid and heartless. They show no pity for others.

They know that what God said is right-- that people who practice such things deserve death--but they do them anyway.

And they even encourage others who are practicing the same things. Romans 1:27-32
[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Have you actually read the entire book? Or have you just skimmed through a synopsis of the book provided by Amazon.com?

I read the entire book and, while I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I think I have the mind of Christ embedded in me deeply enough to spot sinful deceit in such a work. There is no sinful deceit in this book.

SLE

you have made some great points. i do not have time right now but i would like to talk about this with you from a few different angles.

Wild at Heart

Hi there,

My husband has read this book and has been a part of a men's group that read/studied this book together. He really seemed to get a lot out of both the book and the men's study. My husband is a man that earnestly seeks the Lord and spends lots of time in the Bible. It seems that there are nuggets that he's been able to implement into his life from reading the WAH book. I honestly haven't read a bunch of it, the parts I have read seem balanced and true. There's my two cents worth. :)

Right From The Bible!

Colossians 3:5-17

Away then with sinful, earthly things; deaden the evil desires lurking within you;

have nothing to do with sexual sin, impurity, lust and shameful desires;
don't worship the good things of life, for that is idolatry.

God's terrible anger is upon those who do such things.
You used to do them when your life was still part of this world;

but now is the time to cast off and throw away all these rotten garments of anger, hatred, cursing, and dirty language.

Don't tell lies to each other; it was your old life with all its wickedness that did that sort of thing; now it is dead and gone.

You are living a brand new kind of life that is continually learning more and more of what is right, and trying constantly to be more and more like Christ who created this new life within you.

In this new life one's nationality or race or education or social position is unimportant; such things mean nothing. Whether a person has Christ is what matters, and he is equally available to all.

Since you have been chosen by God who has given you this new kind of life, and because of his deep love and concern for you, you should practice tenderhearted mercy and kindness to others.

Don't worry about making a good impression on them but be ready to suffer quietly and patiently.

Be gentle and ready to forgive; never hold grudges. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.

* Most of all, let love guide your life, for then the whole church will stay together in perfect harmony.

* Let the peace of heart which comes from Christ be always present in your hearts and lives, for this is your responsibility and privilege as members of his body. And always be thankful.

Remember what Christ taught and let his words enrich your lives and make you wise; teach them to each other and sing them out in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing to the Lord with thankful hearts.

And whatever you do or say, let it be as a representative of the Lord Jesus, and come with him into the presence of God the Father to give him your thanks.

Romans 1:27-32

In the same way, males stopped feeling natural sexual drives for females and burned up in their lust for one another-- males with males. They do what is shameful, but they must receive in themselves the consequences for this error.

Also, since they didn't want to allow God to stay within their circle of knowledge, God handed them over to worthless thinking, to do things they should never do.

They are filled with all kinds of wrong, with evil, greed, and depravity. They are full of jealousy, murder, fighting, tricks, malice, gossiping,
slander, hatred for God, insults, pride, boasting, and new ways to do evil.

They don't obey their parents. They always break promises. They are stupid and heartless. They show no pity for others.

They know that what God said is right-- that people who practice such things deserve death--but they do them anyway.

And they even encourage others who are practicing the same things.

Last edited:
Although I have not read the book, I have had several recommend it and share alittle about it and from what they have shared I feel no need to read it. The things that they thought were great points in the book seem to me to be promoting natural self to some degree. I know that God does move within the natural realm but He wants us to seek Him in the supernatural realm, He desires us to worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. I think there are many other books out there that promote spiritual growth and are far more beneficial than this one, based on what I have heard.

Let me put it this way;

Be courageous as to be, Bold, Brave in sticking to GOD"S Word {the teachings & examples of Christ Jesus, is a very good thing!

But we should not mix the words 'being courageous' as to go out into the world & do dangerous foolish things that GOD has generously given us the intelligence & comensience to know what would be harmful to our human body,

such as; climbing a tree which could cause one to break his/her neck or to bungee jump when knows the consequences could leave them paralyzed or so on.

Try to always be courageous in doing the smart & intelligent things that are good for the human body, soul & mind as well as what is good the spiritual body, soul & mind.

GOD is not telling us to go out & scream at somebody, just because they can't seem to get the point of what we are saying, regardless how many times we have explained it to them.

Though Jesus does say; "And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet." { Matthew 10:14}

And Jesus did not say that we should go out & make war, for He also said;"Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword." {Matthew 26:52}

And; "But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also." {Matthew 5:39 }

Plus, further on the Bible says; "Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,'' says the Lord." Romans 12:19}

"Even to the present hour we both hunger and thirst, and we are poorly clothed, and beaten, and homeless.
And we labor, working with our own hands. Being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we endure it;
{1 Corinthians 4:11-12}

* "See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all." {1 Thessalonians 5:15}

"For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:
"Who committed no sin, nor was guile found in His mouth'';
who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously" "; {1 Peter 2:21-23}

"not returning evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary blessing, knowing that you were called to this, that you may inherit a blessing." {1 Peter 3:9}

"Therefore, indeed, I send you prophets, wise men, and scribes: some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues and persecute from city to city,
"that on you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar.
"Assuredly, I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation. {Matthew 23:34-36}

Last edited:
Jesus too, was courageous!

Jesus was courageous by standing {firm} by GOD, obeying The Almighty GOD'S Word.

And when trouble came, He fled. {John 10:33-39}

But when the time came for Jesus to give His Life {for us}, He did so, with out a fight.

Jesus Arrested {Matthew 26:47-55}
While he was still speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, arrived. With him was a large crowd armed with swords and clubs, sent from the chief priests and the elders of the people. 48Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: "The one I kiss is the man; arrest him." 49Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, "Greetings, Rabbi!" and kissed him.
Jesus replied, "Friend, do what you came for."

Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him. 51With that, one of Jesus' companions reached for his sword, drew it out and struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his ear.

"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. 53Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? 54But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?"

At that time Jesus said to the crowd, "Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? Every day I sat in the temple courts teaching, and you did not arrest me.

Even though Jesus NEW what was going to happen to Him, He still did NOT fight back. {No violence what so ever.} {Matthew 27:23-54}

Last edited:
Administrator
Staff Member
Sister, did you read the entire book? Just curious.

Huge difference if one just skims through and one who reads the entire story.

I found 90 reviews from this Christian bookstore if anyone is interested prior to reading/buying this book

Wild at Heart - Reviews

To quote one review...

This book is very popular, but it has some serious theological flaws. If you are going to read this book, you should do it with a critical eye. A good review that touches on some of the thological issues can be found here: Wild at Heart by John Eldredge - Review

Danger indeed.

Let me preface this with a very huge important thing:

I have not read this book.

However, I have (due to requirements in college) had my fair share of exposure to Thoreau.

Quite frankly, I'd make it a point to keep anything based on Thoreau's thoughts about life as far away from any man or boy I cared about as possible.

I leave it to you to have the minds to do your own serious research into full scope of Thoreau's life and beliefs to determine why I say that. I won't dirty the forums with a written analysis of his . . . ideas.

I have read many an inspirational work which I quite enjoyed. I've read a lot of snazzy Christian oriented fiction too. Much of it agrees with Scripture and tries to make a point that is in agreement with God's teachings. But all of these works, though well written and well intentioned, are not the words of God.

There is a fundamental and desperately important difference between an "inspirational" work and an Inspired Writing. My understanding is that once Revelations was written and the End of All Things was revealed to us, that barring outright prophecy of future events, we were pretty much done receiving any *Inspired* messages.

The moment you take any man-written philosophy, no matter how "close" it runs to agreement with Scripture, no matter how much it seems to parallel a lesson already written in the Bible, and you give it the authority of a "Teaching" ... then you have failed, miserably, to understand and live up to the way Christians are meant to walk with God.

There is only one Teaching to which Christians should turn. Elevating anything else to stand beside It is beyond folly.

Churches that do this would stand empty if only the people and pastors understood the gravity of their error.

----

Again, I have not read this book.

But I have read our Lord's Book.

Our Lord God speaks eloquently of danger. He inspired Solomon to write:

A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it. (Proverbs 22:3)

This message was so very important that God inspired it to be written twice - and exactly twice.

God repeats Himself throughout Scripture for imporant concepts so we mortals may use Scripture to corroborate Scripture and thereby understand the weight and importance of the message.

So again God inspires danger to be described:

The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it. (Proverbs 27:12)

---

Actively seeking danger for the thrill of it doesn't make you hero, it makes you an idiot.

HEROS are the ones who walk with our Lord God and listen only to Him, so that when the Devil sends danger among the people, they may serve the Lord as prophets, or healers, or judges, or warriors, or whatever else the Lord wants them to be.

The only thing any man (or woman for that matter) should want to be is a dedicated servant of the Lord -- then he will absolutely be a Hero -- and perhaps one day a Saint -- no matter how much "danger" he does or does not encounter in his life.

janette, i see alotg of judgements to this man. we all have a past and have done things and had thoughts that were totally against god and his word. there is non of us without sin. i think the real question should be has he accepted jesus christ as his lord and saviour.? jesus can change the hearts and minds of all man kind if they accept it.

if i told you all about my past you would find some very crazy things in it. but who i was and who i am are two totally different people.

I love Jiggfly's comment!!!

I tried to read "Captivating" by John Eldridge's wife - Stacy. I read most of it and found it to be pure drivel (despite the fact that it was recommended by our church.) The Eldridges are promoting a type of marriage that can never really happen with fallen people. In fact I doubt whether this sort of marriage is even God's ideal. These books create false hopes and expectations.

While there are some good points made in the books, I do not find them helpful, or particularly Christian.

I do believe that it is really important for married people to work on developing a great relationship, but it is MUCH more important for us to work at becoming more Christ-like, and work for things that have eternal value.

As well as knowing the Word of God and relying on the Holy Spirit for guidance, we need to use our brains and not be so gullible.

:love:
evangeline

Administrator
Staff Member
janette, i see alotg of judgements to this man. we all have a past and have done things and had thoughts that were totally against god and his word. there is non of us without sin. i think the real question should be has he accepted jesus christ as his lord and saviour.? jesus can change the hearts and minds of all man kind if they accept it.

if i told you all about my past you would find some very crazy things in it. but who i was and who i am are two totally different people.

There is an absolute big difference between the old man (past) and the new man (in Christ Jesus). There is a big difference between preaching thrash and preaching the truth according to Scripture. There is no excuse. Being a sinner has nothing to do with what you preach at all. If your going to call yourself a believer in Christ, you better be preaching the truth according to the Word. Otherwise, a person shall keep shut for their sake and others too.

Re: Wild at Heart

It has been months since I read "Wild at Heart", but, as I read all the comments about it, I think that John Eldridge's goal in writing the book was to light a fire in the belly of Christian husbands to find the adventure in being a Christian husband, father, and leader.

Its only natural that he would use the metaphor of an outdoorsman, for he obviously eats and sleeps hiking and camping and other outdoor activities.
Me? I'm a self described motel camper. I enjoy looking at outdoor photography. I enjoy traveling through the great outdoors and taking in the scenery. But, for living quarters, I'll take a nice, comfortable, motel room, thank you.

However, Mr. Eldridge's book played a part in a small fire being lit in my belly over these last few months that has grown into a burn for the work of the kingdom in my church, in my community, and on this site. I am finding the sense of adventure and excitement and purpose that being a disciple of Jesus produces.

I think that sense of excitement brought the encouragement that led Paul and Silas to look past their pain and start singing praise songs to God in the jail at Philippi.(see Acts 16:16-30). Its the same sense that led Stephen to go willingly to his death (see Acts 7) Who knows how many other stories I could have cited had I taken more time to search the Scriptures.

We need that sense of excitement and adventure and purpose in the church today for both men and women. If we ask the Holy Spirit to pour it out on us, he will and things will start to happen. Well see our prayer life and our worship explode into flame. We'll see our witness to our loved ones and our neighbors begin to bear fruit before our very eyes because we will be truly alive in Christ!

SLE

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with going on an adventure!

There is nothing wrong with going on an adventure! I not saying there is.

I for one have always been filled with adventure! I love camping & have gone camping a lot.

I love horses & going horseback riding.

I love the woods & the smell of the woods.

I love hiking & have gone hiking many times.

Bike riding & have done that a lot too.

Walking on the beach & watching the mighty waves.

All this brings out my senses of awe & are GOD related. The gifts that HE has put within my very soul.

I love nature - nature is of GOD. It is HIS art work & HIS gifts to us all.

I don't have to read this book { WILD at HEART } to find that fire in my belly or in my heart for GOD, for it is already there & has always been there, I have always had it. For it's a gift from GOD.

It's the bond between me & Jesus Christ & The Almighty GOD HIMSELF. {John 14:20}

But that doesn't mean I am going to go out & do something outrageous, that might cause me some harm, just because I think it may sound exciting, like something fun to do.

GOD has also given us commonsense, instinctively. A gift from GOD to help us to stay on top of things. And part of all of that, is learning from our mistakes, in hope to preventing another mistake from happening.

For example; let's say a man when he was a boy, had fallen from a tree that he had climbed & broken his arm. Now he has a son of his own who to likes to climb trees.
So he decides to allow his son to climb a tree as high as his son wants to, for "boys will be boys", he says. Only this time the boy doesn't brake his arm from falling from the tree, for he brakes his neck instead & dies.

GOD has given us a brain, a conscience & commonsense we need to use them all in-order to make wise & correct decisions.

And as for that fiery feeling that you mentioned, well I am feeling it right now. For it's a part of me & my senses, the gift that GOD has given me so that I can feel HIS presence.

I know I have GOD with me, & it gives me such a awesome rushing feeling that excites my soul.

Last edited:
Sister, did you read the entire book? Just curious.

Huge difference if one just skims through and one who reads the entire story.

I found 90 reviews from this Christian bookstore if anyone is interested prior to reading/buying this book

Wild at Heart - Reviews

To quote one review...

No Chad, I have not read it all. But thank you for asking.

I do have the book & what I have read so far scares me.

I really believe that our brothers & sisters are being mislead by reading & making this book a Bible Aid.

Ed

Let's be careful in what we are reading. I've heard several negative things about said book...if the man is promoting the gay lifestyle as being ok with God, then the man is in error.

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, (1 Corinthians 6:9).

Getting off track in closing:
I've also read several negative things about The Purpose Driven Life. As Christians we cannot, and must not read anything written by a self proclaimed Christian and believe it is true. We must 'search the scriptures' John 5:39.

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? Matthew 7:22

Look at the popular series "Left Behind", in it the authors Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins are promoting the fact that those left behind after Jesus comes will make their way into the Kingdom. There is no scripture backing this up, yet the series has sold millions of books. Perhaps this would be ok, if the Bible and the life of Jesus was a mere fable... but they are not...they are very real.

LaHaye and Jenkins seem to operate on the side of fantasy. Suggesting that we still have a chance...true, God is giving us that chance...right now.
And the days are evil! Ephesians 5:16

1 Timothy 1:10 - For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

2 Timothy 4:3 - For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Titus 1:9 - Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

Titus 2:1 - But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine