• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Why Jesus could not condemn the Woman who was caught in the very act of adultery?

Active
Ivan, many of our brothers and sisters always miss this part of “Holy Scripture” Jesus did not live or walk in the “ New Testament”. [The New Covenant Era”]. This is a hard clear truth, that Sunday schoolers find hard to see. Jesus had to obey the Law of God. He had to fulfilled the law that no man could do. He had to be the perfect sacrifice without spot or wrinkle. Jesus was also a “Advocate”! The LAW was still in effect! Through out the New Testament writings of the Gospels , Jesus has been trying to show people the real interpretation of some real aspects of the law, that the religious leaders has been abusing, by really not “Knowing “Holy Scripture”. The woman caught in the very act, is a prime example of what He was trying to teach them, what ever he wrote on the ground, convicted them, and their “ conscience” convicted them, and one by one they walked away. That is the work of the Holy Spirit. And I will “speculate” here! All , I do believe, all, the woman and her accusers became disciples of Jesus Christ. And maybe one day I will have a conversation will those accusers and ask them, what did Jesus write down there in the dirt, ❤ Shalom!
Yes I understand there are people rejecting the old testament, but we can't do that because Jesus himself was present in the old testament and He is that word of God. He's been always in the centre of all. It is true that when He died and rose again everything started and all the promises for us, but while walking on this earth He always promoted and showed the new testament and its promises to people. Even though he didn't die yet at that time. He was saying to them " Your faith has saved you " for example or " You have heard that it was said to those of old..... ", " But I say that you... " Matthew 5:21,22 And He came to accomplish the law obviously, but not only. He came even to make it perfect in us. The purpose of the law was that people can observe it and please and glorify God through it. But they couldn't. So God sent His Son to die for us. Today the believers having received His Spirit after accepting Him can really accomplish that. They can put the word of God into practice much more than the people of old. That word, that law can actually live in their hearts, it can be written there. That's why Jesus mentioned " You have heard that it was said to those of old" and " But I say to you ". It's like He even lifted the standard saying that not only killing, but even offending someone is a sin and in the same way the other examples He gives in Matthew 5:27,28 etc. It is because the Holy Spirit empowers us. Today we can really please God, but all the glory goes to Him. We can't do it alone. That's why I personally don't believe in that watered down grace that sometimes is spoken about, that allows you everything and someone lives as he please. Obviously God forgives, but He also tells us not to sin anymore and He said that to the women aswell because He knew that she can accomplish it now. Yes Jesus was living in the old testament's time, but He was carrying the new covenant and it's promises in His heart. Praise be to God for His gift !

Loyal
Sorry but you are all over the board. I see you don’t know what the term OT law is, Israel had to obey “610” laws that was the law of God, which was abolish by the death of the tester. I see you do not understand what a “will” is. You do not understand what “biblical atonement” is, neither do you understand it I see you do not understand the word “testament”. I think you should 1st . Look biblical words up in “ISBE” before you address non- Sunday school texts. I really don’t mean no harm, you are way out of you league. And it shows. I know you are a child of God and the Spirit of God is in you. Take the time and study on your own prayerfully and listen. There are people here on “talkJesus” watch them engaged one another, you will learn a lot about studying the “Holy Scripture” ❤ From the beginning I did warn you this was no Sunday School or once a week bible class question. So please do not be offended.❤️ When you state something concerning a post, something’s are open for opinions, if so, always state “IMO”. If not, you save “Sloppy “eisegesis”for yourself. On this particular post, many of us want a strong “exegesis“ of the text because a lot of us in the pass have been fed plenty of “Whitewash” by using a terrible form of “hermeneutics” by the “institutional church “. In saying all of that, meaning := Get your act together and bring something to the table for the edification to the saints of God❤️ “Those are wounds from a friend”❤️
water down Grace is called : “Antinomianism” . Or if you prefer “people once us a coin” “Cheap Grace”. Christians have been watering down grace since “Apostle Paul” walk down the streets of “Athens”.❤️ Now concerning my view on the women caught in the act. “I believe I “Hit the Mark”. By using strong exegesis. And I am open even for stronger. For we know that “Holy Scripture” have one meaning but many applications.❤️

Active
Sorry. I was just expressing my opinion on the topic. But that's why we are here. To say what we think we know from the Bible and so we can learn from each other and edify each other. I can not change so quickly the way I express myself but I am ready to learn too. What I said anyway wasn't addressed personally to you.
I am not offended. Maybe I'll see you again on some other topic.

Loyal
@ Ivan Ch. -- you commented about 'watered down grace' that some people talk about. I think you're referring to OSAS?! eternal security. Some feel that it's a license to sin and it will always be forgiven. Well -- once a person Has accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Savior -- the Holy Spirit comes to indwell immediately. There isn't the desire To purposely sin. And the Holy Spirit Does convict them when they Do sin.

Yes, our faith saves us -- our faith in the blood of Christ shed on the cross being enough to save us. Our faith in knowing that we don't have to work our way to heaven. That we Want to please God -- not that we Have to please Him. It's a Want to on our part.

The Old Testament is important -- our routes in God's creation in Genesis 1. It's the book of beginnings.

And, you're right -- 'we' can't do it alone -- we're never meant to. We need the Holy Spirit to guide us -- Jesus Christ as our personal Savior. God as our heavenly Father.

Loyal
@PloughBoy I have to say after some thought on this thread you bring up some very good valid points, that make good biblical sense, in way that I have not looked at before. thanks

Jesus was a Jew and under the law, that is how he fulfilled the law.

We did not start the period of grace until the vale was torn in half.

Loyal
@Dave M. -- Yes, Jesus Was a Jew -- so He Was under the law as were all the Jews. His coming was to Change that.

And, yes, the tearing of the vale Was the start of the period of grace -- and , as a side note -- it was born from the bottom to top. That was pointed out a long time ago. Normally material is torn, ripped from the top to the bottom. It was 'supernatural' going from bottom to top. Thanks for pointing That out. The vale being torn in half. I'd forgotten about that.

Active
@ Ivan Ch. -- you commented about 'watered down grace' that some people talk about. I think you're referring to OSAS?! eternal security. Some feel that it's a license to sin and it will always be forgiven. Well -- once a person Has accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Savior -- the Holy Spirit comes to indwell immediately. There isn't the desire To purposely sin. And the Holy Spirit Does convict them when they Do sin.

Yes, our faith saves us -- our faith in the blood of Christ shed on the cross being enough to save us. Our faith in knowing that we don't have to work our way to heaven. That we Want to please God -- not that we Have to please Him. It's a Want to on our part.

The Old Testament is important -- our routes in God's creation in Genesis 1. It's the book of beginnings.

And, you're right -- 'we' can't do it alone -- we're never meant to. We need the Holy Spirit to guide us -- Jesus Christ as our personal Savior. God as our heavenly Father.
Yes, and I think that those who have accepted Jesus as their personal Savior, or better said who have received His forgiveness don't live, can't live in that watered down or cheap grace. The Spirit of God is in them and while they persevere in, while they live for God, He doesn't allow them to live anyhow. Here we see what 1 John 3:6 says " Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him. " And when it speaks about sinning here I don't believe it refers not to sin at all, but about our attitude toward it. I don't believe Christians sin fully willingly. They can fall into it, but they will rise again and repent. Their view of how they see sin changes. They don't persevere in sin, they don't continue into it. That's the life of someone who hardened himself or still needs to repent and know Jesus. It is a very thin line. That's why He recommended that women not to sin anymore. He wouldn't ask her for something that she wouldn't be able to accomplish. And even if He didn't die yet at that exact moment telling her that He was setting an example of how it will be after His death and resurrection. And obviously I agree that He also knew and accomplished the law. And with all this I don't exclude that we mustn't be careful. We need to be always aware and watch. But it is His Grace that is holding us.

Loyal
It's those who are not truly saved and continue on doing 'whatever' that make the grace of God Look cheap or watered down.

That's why -- as 'we' observe a new believer -- that 'we' need to make sure they are being discipled. A mature believer needs to come along-side that person and guide them in Bible reading and praying. A Sunday school teacher or deaconness could be doing that.

It should Not be 'hey you're saved, great' -- and, now, on to the Next person.

Loyal
concerning my view on the women caught in the act. “I believe I “Hit the Mark”. By using strong exegesis.
Your exegesis is very weak and wide of the mark. If Jesus was legally barred from condemning the woman, then the scribes and pharisees would have failed to set a trap. On your reading the story makes little sense.

I'm worried by how ready you are to slam down others, and by your blindness to your own weakness.

Your exegesis is very weak and wide of the mark. If Jesus was legally barred from condemning the woman, then the scribes and pharisees would have failed to set a trap. On your reading the story makes little sense.

I'm worried by how ready you are to slam down others, and by your blindness to your own weakness.

I don't see any contradiction between PloughBoy's opinion and yours.

Sure don't see anything in his opinion should make you want to slam him down.

Loyal
Hey David, one thing about the WORD of God, it will stand no matter how limited is our vision to perception.❤️

Loyal
Sorry. I was just expressing my opinion on the topic. But that's why we are here. To say what we think we know from the Bible and so we can learn from each other and edify each other. I can not change so quickly the way I express myself but I am ready to learn too. What I said anyway wasn't addressed personally to you.
I am not offended. Maybe I'll see you again on some other topic.
Well said Ivan!

Loyal
I don't see any contradiction between PloughBoy's opinion and yours.

Sure don't see anything in his opinion should make you want to slam him down.
There isn't a contradiction. It's just that ploughboy's interpretation doesn't make much sense of the passage.

Loyal
The whole purpose of the religious leaders in bringing an adulteress woman before Jesus was NOT to get "justice" but to trick Jesus into saying something so they could accuse him either before Pilate, and or his followers!

Joh 8:5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
Joh 8:6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

The religious leaders knew there was no way a Jew could put anyone to death because it was against Roman law!

Joh 18:31 Then said Pilate unto them, Take ye him, and judge him according to your law. The Jews therefore said unto him, It is not lawful for us to put any man to death:

Jesus knew this too. If Jesus had said, "go ahead stone her" they would accuse him before Pilate as going against Roman law. If Jesus just let her go then Jesus would be against the Law of Moses! There is no way the Lord would go against his own law that he himself gave to Moses!

All justice must be done in righteousness NOT based on "deception, and guile" which the religious leaders were trying to do!

Jesus told them if you want justice, which he was not against then let the one who is "sinless" be the one to cast the first stone. No one there was sinless except Jesus himself!

It is not that Jesus could not condemn this lady, he simply "would not" because it was all a setup just to trap him!

Loyal
Why is itso hard, for some Christian to interpret “Holy Scripture” in light of “Holy Scripture” LOL❤️ One thing for sure, a lot of them have a “PHD” in the field of “Speculation” and a “minor” in the Art of “Barber Shop Hermeneutics” most try so hard when the answer most of the time, right there in the “text”. The text has nothing to do with “ Ponitius Pilate” The Perfect [Governor] of Judaea. (LOL, sorry for the laughter).❤️ You make this kinda stimulating,, even more , when you come to the light!❤️ “They knew, the accusers that Jesus would hand out “mercy and grace” for that is what He had been teaching. So if He handed out mercy and grace to a women that the Law of Moses. [God] says she is Condemn to be “stoned” to death! By two or 3 Witnesses. If He had let her go free, when there was 2or 3 to confirm her offence, He would have went against “The very Law of God” “that would have made him a “transgressors”. He ask her “DO ANY MAN Accuse You” she reply “NO MAN” when he look up [jesus] there was no accusers there! He said to her “Neither do I”! He did not see her commit adultery! LOL How could Jesus Condemn her, for something that he had not witness!❤️ Now is that what you call bad “exegesis”?
No, that is what you call a short story of a “Advocate “ sent by GOD to save and deliver guilty people laden with sins from the “utmost to the uttermost” of sinners❤️

Loyal
There were witnesses in the crowd a few minutes before. Jesus could have asked them, confirmed the truth of the matter and condemned the woman.

In any case, Jesus didn't say 'neither can I condemn you', he said 'neither do I condemn', indicating that he had a choice.

Wnl

Hi All,
This is an interesting thread, but one message of this scripture has been
overlooked, THOUGH SHALL NOT JUDGE!
Jesus new that all the( judges )the stone throwers were sinners,
saying, let him cast the first stone who has never sinned.

After reading this interesting thread, there are many people that have
posted have not learned from this thread, as they in some cases, have
had to apologise or retract of what they have said personally to other
members posts. Again THOUGH SHALL NOT JUDGE.
With Love, Wnl

She should have been stoned. She never asked for forgiveness. Women can be so unfaithful to their husbands. Hints why The LORD made the adultery test for wives only NOT husband's! Numbers 5.

Loyal
As I recall in that passage -- when Jesus challenged the men in that crowd of people -- no one was willing to caste that first stone. After they'd all left -- Jesus Christ acknowledged to her that she had no one condemning her - so He Also said He would not condemn her and told her to go and sin no more.

The man she was with was as guilty as she was -- no one did anything to him. Why Not. Men don't have to worry about a potential pregnancy -- the woman does. And men can spread disease all over the place as can women.

Women were pretty much only property back then. Women were dependent on their fathers and then a husband to support them.

And men can Also be So unfaithful to their wives.

Yes, Numbers 5 -- if a husband suspects his wife of unfaithfulness, there is the test of bitter waters administered by the priest. Just how wonderful of husbands were the men. Both back then and now. This is a sin-damaged world we live in.
'we' need to guard our marriages.