• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Why is it so tough to follow the rules of the Bible?

Active
Pleasant greetings brothers & sisters in Christ.

I have often said "If we all followed the Bible there wouldn't be the problems we encounter today".

The 10 commandments are plain.
  1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
  2. You shall not make idols. (
  3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
  4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
  5. Honor your father and your mother.
  6. You shall not murder.
  7. You shall not commit adultery.
  8. You shall not steal.
  9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. (make up stories about someone to make yourself look better)
  10. You shall not covet. (obsess over wanting something someone else has)
These 10 are the beginning of the rule book. There are many other rules of the Bible so I wonder often.
So why then is it so tough to follow simple rules? I have some idea but I ask what others think.

Thank you in advance with this question.

Active
to shake at the awesomeness of God the purpose of these
to learn we are wretched but desirable the result of these
to be reminded of our inability to keep them why so hard to keep

Staff Member
@LordKnows
The answer is a varied as are the ways that they are broken. It has always been easy to say one will follow something, and quite another thing for one to actually put those words into practice.

There are so many scriptures on warnings which include the why. However, some have narrowed them down to 7: pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth. These have brought the best of man down. With that being said. If a believer who with a new heart still struggles between the carnal & the spiritual. How much more difficult for the unbeliever who does not have the help of the Holy Spirit?

Thanks for sharing sister.
YBIC
C4E
<><

Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. James 4:2

For all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 1 John 2:16

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 1 Timothy 6:10

Administrator
Staff Member
Good question @LordKnows

My answer: Total depravity. We're born in sin, it's our natural nature (because of the fall of Adam & Eve).

In Summary...this passage

1 Corinthians 2:14
The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

And some explanation...

Isaiah 53:6
All we like sheep have gone astray;
we have turned—every one—to his own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

Romans 7:14
Struggling with Sin
So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin.

Romans 5:12
Death in Adam, Life in Christ
Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because wall sinned

Loyal
Hello @LordKnows ,
When you view the written word of God as rules and regulations you are off to a hard start. I did that for years and it was as hard as keeping the old laws or ways. However God set me free from all this. I simply lost the rule mentality and began to look at the word of God as Love for us from Him. He showed me His way and the results and any other way and the results. I did not need help to see this one. ;)

Love is the key which binds it all together.
Deuteronomy 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
1 Heart which is our core being or spirit
2 Soul which is our Mind - Will and Emotions ( our characteristics )
3 Might this is where many trip up - strength and resources such as our jobs and talents and connections and abilities and so forth. Everything about us.

Then we find Love thy neighbor as our selves. We find the fruit of love and learn we can not do this on our own for love forgives all.

So God lead me to
Galatians 5:16 and Romans 12:2 and 2 Corinthians 10:4-5

Romans 12:2 ....
And be not conformed to this world; but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind that ye may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God

(( Get His word in you each and every day and speak His word each and every day ))

2 Corinthians 10:4-5
4... For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to pulling down strong holds
5... Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

(( Begin to practice the words you speak and thoughts you think for our thoughts and words to control how we act or react and believe. Our own words do more do influence our thinking then most of everything else. ))

Galatians 5:16
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh

(( The more you do the first two the more you will begin to walk in the Spirit and you will be amazed to say the least. ))

All done through the Grace of God who maketh all grace abound to me. ( 2 Corinthians 9:8 )

Once we allow God to transform (change our "Thinking") then His ways seem so right and any other way just does not fit or agree with you. You will NO LONGER struggle to keep rules and regulations BUT aim to please your Heavenly Father who loves you beyond measure. It becomes a life style that keeps you full of peace and joy and hope and success. It will take you to a place where you want to jump up and say - what can I do for you today or how can I show you how much I love you ......

God knows I dont like all this scientific educated mumbo jumbo so He kept it real simple for me. Because He loves me !! ;)
I hope this will bless you as much as it did me.
Have a wonderful and most Blessed new year yet !
God Bless
James

Active

I have often said "If we all followed the Bible there wouldn't be the problems we encounter today".

6. You shall not murder.
  8. You shall not steal.
  9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. (make up stories about someone to make yourself look better)
These 10 are the beginning of the rule book. There are many other rules of the Bible so I wonder often.
So why then is it so tough to follow simple rules? I have some idea but I ask what others think.

I agree with Jim saying ''love is the key''. If you had to think of your employer telling you to do things. You do them because you get paid. But would you do them for no pay? Most of God's laws go against our best interests. Abstinence vs self indulgence. Mercy vs vengeance. Poverty vs stealing. Threats vs false witness. We would only obey them if we actually respect, trust, care for and love God.

As we mature as Christians we also better understand God's reasoning behind all laws and in fact can make more.

Those ten commandments are a split between laws unto Him and then some unto others. Those unto others are unto Him as He loves all of His creation. The God specific laws are 1, 2, 3, 5 and 10. 4 is literally to the Jews as a day to thank God for rescuing them from Egypt. 6, 7, 8 and 9 are all laws unto others / laws that most societies will introduce.

Studying God's anger with those who disobey His laws is very interesting. People think they can escape God's wrath by obeying laws unto others. How many times have we heard that being a good Christian is loving others. That is the second commandment from Jesus. The first is to love God Matt 22:37-40. God's wrath comes quickly upon those people / societies that remove Him from their thinking. It is interesting how the first 4 laws of the ten are all to do with loving God.

I wouldn't say it is in our nature to sin. Rather it is in our nature to be selfish which leads to sin. This and the fact that thanks to Adam and Eve we have sin all around us. We grow up with full awareness of it. I am harping on this because Calvinists make an argument that we are all en route to hell and Jesus saves some of us from this. This is not true. All babies go straight to heaven. Which is evidence of no sin nature present in us from birth.

Active
Hello @LordKnows ,
When you view the written word of God as rules and regulations you are off to a hard start. I did that for years and it was as hard as keeping the old laws or ways. However God set me free from all this. I simply lost the rule mentality and began to look at the word of God as Love for us from Him. He showed me His way and the results and any other way and the results. I did not need help to see this one. ;)

Love is the key which binds it all together.
Deuteronomy 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
1 Heart which is our core being or spirit
2 Soul which is our Mind - Will and Emotions ( our characteristics )
3 Might this is where many trip up - strength and resources such as our jobs and talents and connections and abilities and so forth. Everything about us.

Then we find Love thy neighbor as our selves. We find the fruit of love and learn we can not do this on our own for love forgives all.

So God lead me to
Galatians 5:16 and Romans 12:2 and 2 Corinthians 10:4-5

Romans 12:2 ....
And be not conformed to this world; but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind that ye may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God

(( Get His word in you each and every day and speak His word each and every day ))

2 Corinthians 10:4-5
4... For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to pulling down strong holds
5... Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

(( Begin to practice the words you speak and thoughts you think for our thoughts and words to control how we act or react and believe. Our own words do more do influence our thinking then most of everything else. ))

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh

(( The more you do the first two the more you will begin to walk in the Spirit and you will be amazed to say the least. ))

All done through the Grace of God who maketh all grace abound to me. ( 2 Corinthians 9:8 )

Once we allow God to transform (change our "Thinking") then His ways seem so right and any other way just does not fit or agree with you. You will NO LONGER struggle to keep rules and regulations BUT aim to please your Heavenly Father who loves you beyond measure. It becomes a life style that keeps you full of peace and joy and hope and success. It will take you to a place where you want to jump up and say - what can I do for you today or how can I show you how much I love you ......

God knows I dont like all this scientific educated mumbo jumbo so He kept it real simple for me. Because He loves me !! ;)
I hope this will bless you as much as it did me.
Have a wonderful and most Blessed new year yet !
God Bless
James

WOW!!! THANK YOU Dear Brother - You have shed light PRAISE GOD!!

Loyal
Good points all....

But I also think that it's because it's all about me... me, me me....
As Wired 4 Fish said... "Love", ...love is the opposite of "me". (Of course some people love themselves to a fault).
But loving God, and loving your neighbors, feeding the hungry, clothing the poor, giving to the needy,
is the opposite of what everything we hear to do.
Buy yourself the most expensive cell phone, the fanciest car, the biggest television you can afford
(maybe even you can't really afford it)... and then... if there's anything left over... maybe you could consider
showing someone else a little love.
Magazines full of articles and advertising about ME and what I need to do for ME!!
Television shows and commercials all about what I need to do for ME!!
Because I deserve it... I heard a secular song on the radio this week... the lyrics says.. "baby I'm worth it".
Miss Clairol says "Because you're worth it". Even the Army says be the best YOU can be.
Maybe a little self gratification isn't all bad... but in today's world... looking out for number one is all that really
should matter.

No wonder it's so hard to live a Biblical life for most people.
But as others have said... if you have Jesus/the Spirit living inside you, that changes everything.
It makes it easy to bear one another's burdens, encourage one another, and love one another.

Nahh... that's too hard. I just need to take care of me.. if I have to lie, cheat, and steal a little along the way...
well... it's for a good cause.... ME!!

Loyal
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matt 11:28-30

If it is not easy and it is not light, we have missed something, haven't we?

As the man who won me to the Lord many years ago stated it to me:

"It is hard to live for God easy and it is easy to live for God hard".

Loyal

6. You shall not murder.
  8. You shall not steal.

The flesh, that is the old nature, still pulls us downward..We are now spirit born and the flesh has no say....
Matthew 26:41
Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Matthew 26:41 (CJB)
41 Stay awake, and pray that you will not be put to the test — the spirit indeed is eager, but human nature is weak.”

Romans 8:4
That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Romans 8:4 (CJB)
4 so that the just requirement of the Torah might be fulfilled in us who do not run our lives according to what our old nature wants but according to what the Spirit wants.

Romans 8:13
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Romans 8:13 (CJB)
13 For if you live according to your old nature, you will certainly die; but if, by the Spirit, you keep putting to death the practices of the body, you will live.

The old nature, that is in our mind wants to control every action...However we are spirit and the spirit controls the mind, not the mind controlling the spirit. It's kind of like learning to walk again...Before you were born again, your spirit was dead in sin..Your mind had to run things for you.. Now you're alive! Take charge over your mind and live in the Spirit.
Heh heh Now you find more verses that speak to this.

Loyal
Good points all....

But I also think that it's because it's all about me... me, me me....
As Wired 4 Fish said... "Love", ...love is the opposite of "me". (Of course some people love themselves to a fault).
But loving God, and loving your neighbors, feeding the hungry, clothing the poor, giving to the needy,
is the opposite of what everything we hear to do.
Buy yourself the most expensive cell phone, the fanciest car, the biggest television you can afford
(maybe even you can't really afford it)... and then... if there's anything left over... maybe you could consider
showing someone else a little love.
Magazines full of articles and advertising about ME and what I need to do for ME!!
Television shows and commercials all about what I need to do for ME!!
Because I deserve it... I heard a secular song on the radio this week... the lyrics says.. "baby I'm worth it".
Miss Clairol says "Because you're worth it". Even the Army says be the best YOU can be.
Maybe a little self gratification isn't all bad... but in today's world... looking out for number one is all that really
should matter.

No wonder it's so hard to live a Biblical life for most people.
But as others have said... if you have Jesus/the Spirit living inside you, that changes everything.
It makes it easy to bear one another's burdens, encourage one another, and love one another.

Nahh... that's too hard. I just need to take care of me.. if I have to lie, cheat, and steal a little along the way...
well... it's for a good cause.... ME!!

Amen Sir,
When life is about "me" then me tends to major in offenses and is offended every time you turn around. Mark 11:25 is not for them for God could not expect me to forgive them after what they did. I mean come on now - that was done against "ME" and no one does that to me. I mean how dare them tell me to not smoke in this chuch..... rofl......humorous but truthful as well.
Nice reply BAC
Blessings
James

Loyal
The flesh, that is the old nature, still pulls us downward..We are now spirit born and the flesh has no say....
Matthew 26:41
Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Matthew 26:41 (CJB)
41 Stay awake, and pray that you will not be put to the test — the spirit indeed is eager, but human nature is weak.”

Romans 8:4
That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Romans 8:4 (CJB)
4 so that the just requirement of the Torah might be fulfilled in us who do not run our lives according to what our old nature wants but according to what the Spirit wants.

Romans 8:13
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Romans 8:13 (CJB)
13 For if you live according to your old nature, you will certainly die; but if, by the Spirit, you keep putting to death the practices of the body, you will live.

The old nature, that is in our mind wants to control every action...However we are spirit and the spirit controls the mind, not the mind controlling the spirit. It's kind of like learning to walk again...Before you were born again, your spirit was dead in sin..Your mind had to run things for you.. Now you're alive! Take charge over your mind and live in the Spirit.
Heh heh Now you find more verses that speak to this.

Kind of like in the "OLD DAYS" the flesh was the law man of these here parts but once born again there is a new sheriff in town. The Spirit Marshal !! Humorous but truthful. The trick is to feed the spirit man and starve the flesh or old nature. Learn to allow the spirit man to answer all calls and keep the flesh chained up.
Blessings my brother
James

Loyal
I agree with Jim saying ''love is the key''. If you had to think of your employer telling you to do things. You do them because you get paid. But would you do them for no pay? Most of God's laws go against our best interests. Abstinence vs self indulgence. Mercy vs vengeance. Poverty vs stealing. Threats vs false witness. We would only obey them if we actually respect, trust, care for and love God.

As we mature as Christians we also better understand God's reasoning behind all laws and in fact can make more.

Those ten commandments are a split between laws unto Him and then some unto others. Those unto others are unto Him as He loves all of His creation. The God specific laws are 1, 2, 3, 5 and 10. 4 is literally to the Jews as a day to thank God for rescuing them from Egypt. 6, 7, 8 and 9 are all laws unto others / laws that most societies will introduce.

Studying God's anger with those who disobey His laws is very interesting. People think they can escape God's wrath by obeying laws unto others. How many times have we heard that being a good Christian is loving others. That is the second commandment from Jesus. The first is to love God Matt 22:37-40. God's wrath comes quickly upon those people / societies that remove Him from their thinking. It is interesting how the first 4 laws of the ten are all to do with loving God.

I wouldn't say it is in our nature to sin. Rather it is in our nature to be selfish which leads to sin. This and the fact that thanks to Adam and Eve we have sin all around us. We grow up with full awareness of it. I am harping on this because Calvinists make an argument that we are all en route to hell and Jesus saves some of us from this. This is not true. All babies go straight to heaven. Which is evidence of no sin nature present in us from birth.

KJ thanks for the kind words on Love !!

Now then I have one thing to talk with you on. This that you said here...........I am harping on this because Calvinists make an argument that we are all en route to hell and Jesus savessome of us from this. This is not true. All babies go straight to heaven. Which is evidence of no sin nature present in us from birth.

KJ this is not what is siad nor is it what I have said or others said. This is what I was talking about by twisting what has been said. Perhaps you hurry through and skim the post. Any way here is what I say and others have said.

We are born into sin. We are as filthy rags.
If we do nothing about this then YES we are hell bound. WAIT dont you even stop and reply now or you will do it again. It has been said many times this is from the cross up until the end and children (includes babies) up unto the age of accountability and the mentally challenged are NOT held to this.

There is only one way out of this for the rest of us and that is making Jesus our Lord (being born again)
If you reject this free gift or another words just never get around to it then yea your going to be seperated from God.

If we beleive any other way brother then we make what Christ did on the cross for nothing. If loving sin or loving evil is your ticket to hell then we did not need the blood sacrifice of Jesus but God said we did and said Jesus was the only way to Him. So God says be born again to dwell with me. So that means if your not born again then your not dwelling with Him but with the devil.

Now then KJ PLEASE DO NOT bring up Children under the age of accountability and the mentally challenged and those before the cross. We are taalking about EVERY ONE but them.
Scriptures have been given over and over in the past. I simply wanted to show you why and what I mean when I said yoou were twisting what has been said. Here is the reason.
Nothing More - Nothing Less
Have a good one KJ......OBTW have you ever heard of Angus Buchan ? You should read his life story and the ministry God built through him. I mean this is down your way bro....
James

Active
1. Now then I have one thing to talk with you on. This that you said here...........I am harping on this because Calvinists make an argument that we are all en route to hell and Jesus savessome of us from this. This is not true. All babies go straight to heaven. Which is evidence of no sin nature present in us from birth.

KJ this is not what is siad nor is it what I have said or others said. This is what I was talking about by twisting what has been said. Perhaps you hurry through and skim the post. Any way here is what I say and others have said.

2. We are born into sin. We are as filthy rags. If we do nothing about this then YES we are hell bound.

3. WAIT dont you even stop and reply now or you will do it again. It has been said many times this is from the cross up until the end and children ( includes babies) up unto the age of accountability and the mentally challenged are NOT held to this.

4. There is only one way out of this for the rest of us and that is making Jesus our Lord ( being born again )
If you reject this free gift or another words just never get around to it then yea your going to be seperated from God.

5. If we beleive any other way brother then we make what Christ did on the cross for nothing. If loving sin or loving evil is your ticket to hell then we did not need the blood sacrifice of Jesus but God said we did and said Jesus was the only way to Him. So God says be born again to dwell with me. So that means if your not born again then your not dwelling with Him but with the devil.

6. Now then KJ PLEASE DO NOT bring up Children under the age of accountability and the mentally challenged and those before the cross. We are taalking about EVERY ONE but them.
Scriptures have been given over and over in the past. I simply wanted to show you why and what I mean when I said yoou were twisting what has been said. Here is the reason.
Nothing More - Nothing Less

1. Calvinism is a popular belief. I don't believe I have encountered any here. Not sure why you read it as though I am jumping on some here / twisting what others have said.

2. Nobody is hell bound because of sin. People are hell bound because they love sin / the darkness John 3:19.

3. Jews were able to repent and find favor with God Psalm 51:17, albeit they may have been stoned to death. The gospel from God to mankind has from day 1 been to repent. It is not a NT thing. The only difference in the NT is that now when God draws near to us, He reveals Jesus to us 1 Cor 12:3, Matt 16:16-17. We do not need to go to Abraham Bosom / a waiting place.

4. ''Don't just get around to it'' I can't believe this is what you believe Jim. Salvation is not a get out of jail free card that you were lucky enough to pick up at Walmart. Salvation is a gift to those that actually love God. That actually want to be with Him. Salvation is an airplane that takes us from the airport to heaven. We have to get to the airport. We get to the airport by being after God's heart. Genuine love for God is to hate what is evil and cling to what is good Rom 12:9. When we are BA / a new creation 2 Cor 5:17....that can be seen as us arriving at the airport and getting our boarding pass. Jesus says there is no way to the Father but through Him to all those OT and NT. It is not just to us NT. God is not partial Acts 10:34.

5. Without Jesus nobody could ever be reconciled with God. Having sin has never equaled hell. Did Adam and Eve go to hell after they sinned? In the fullness of time all will be in either heaven or hell / lake of fire, sure. But we cannot say that having sin = hell. As we all have sin. People only reject Jesus / the light because they love the darkness / what is evil, that is the verdict John 3:19.

6. Jim, maybe you should open a thread just for you and I to discuss our disagreements on this. Bring your scriptures. I am sure you have many to discuss. This is quite an important stand alone discussion and hence will derail this thread.

Loyal
1. Calvinism is a popular belief. I don't believe I have encountered any here. Not sure why you read it as though I am jumping on some here / twisting what others have said.

2. Nobody is hell bound because of sin. People are hell bound because they love sin / the darkness John 3:19.

3. Jews were able to repent and find favor with God Psalm 51:17, albeit they may have been stoned to death. The gospel from God to mankind has from day 1 been to repent. It is not a NT thing. The only difference in the NT is that now when God draws near to us, He reveals Jesus to us. We do not need to go to Abraham Bosom / a waiting place.

4. ''Don't just get around to it'' I can't believe this is what you believe Jim. Salvation is not a get out of jail free card that you were lucky enough to pick up at Walmart. Salvation is a gift to those that actually love God. That actually want to be with Him. Salvation is an airplane that takes us from the airport to heaven. We have to get to the airport. We get to the airport by being after God's heart. Genuine love for God is to hate what is evil and cling to what is good Rom 12:9. When we are BA / a new creation 2 Cor 5:17....that can be seen as us arriving at the airport and getting our boarding pass. Jesus says there is no way to the Father but through Him to all those OT and NT. It is not just to us NT. God is not partial Acts 10:34.

5. Without Jesus nobody could ever be reconciled with God. Having sin has never equaled hell. Did Adam and Eve go to hell after they sinned? In the fullness of time all will be in either heaven or hell / lake of fire, sure. But we cannot say that having sin = hell. As we all have sin. People only reject Jesus / the light because they love the darkness / what is evil, that is the verdict John 3:19.

6. Jim, maybe you should open a thread just for you and I to discuss our disagreements on this. Bring your scriptures. I am sure you have many to discuss. This is quite an important stand alone discussion and hence will derail this thread.

Hey KJ I am sure you got the tag already but just in case here is the thread you asked for. I posted my last reply and your last reply to start it off.
Hell or Heaven Our Choice
Talk to your there bro
Blessings

Loyal
I kind of put this in the same bin... as why do we suffer?

Did Moses only have one encounter with God?
Did Abraham? Did Isaac? Did Samson? Elijah? Elisha? David? Samuel? Noah? Gideon?
Daniel? Joseph? Ezekiel?

It seems like some Christians think... well I had my "one" encounter with God.. I'm good now.
If we were perfect we wouldn't need Jesus/God. But even after we become saved... we still aren't perfect.
(Yes, we are perfect in/through Him) but that's the point... it's only in Him and through Him.
This isn't a one time thing. This is a continual (taking up your cross daily, dying to sin daily) thing.

If we stop seeing our mistakes... ("sin" is simply missing the mark... the mark of perfection).
Then we stop seeing our need for Him. When we think we no longer need Him... we get into trouble.

This seems to be the theme of the entire old testament... they get in trouble... they need God.
God rescues them from trouble... they no longer need Him anymore (at least they think they don't).
I know many professing Christians to be the same way. I'm saved, I'm good... I don't really need Jesus anymore.

Going through trials and testing is one thing.... we usually eventually recognize we need Him when we're
in trouble. But recognizing that we still sin sometimes... that's another. Sometimes it's harder to see we
need Him in those times also.

Maybe one of the reasons it's so hard to obey "the rules of the Bible", is to help us see... we need Him.
It helps us see how far we are from perfection... from spotlessness, from sinlessness...
Without Jesus... none of us has a chance.

Active
Maybe one of the reasons it's so hard to obey "the rules of the Bible", is to help us see... we need Him. It helps us see how far we are from perfection... from spotlessness, from sinlessness...Without Jesus... none of us has a chance.
Agreed. If Paul couldn't stop sinning after a literal encounter with God / been knocked off his horse and taken to heaven....what chance do we have.

This is why it is so important for us to understand the ''hate'' in Rom 7:15.

Loyal
This is why it is so important for us to understand the ''hate'' in Rom 7:15.

I'm probably more inclined to agree with others on this thread.
It isn't just hating sin that saves us. Yes we should hate sin.
But we should also love the Lord (the first commandment).
Hating sin isn't enough... we also have to stop practicing sin. ( Matt 7:23; Rom 1:32; Rom 7:15; Rom 13:4;
Gal 5:21; Col 3:9; 1 Jn 3:4; 1 Jn 3:8-9; Rev 21:27; etc.. )
But even if we were able to stop sinning today ( I say this is impossible ) we have already sinned at some
point in our past... who can say we never sinned? ( 1 Jn 1:8-10; Rom 3:23; )
If we have ever sinned at all... even only one time.... we are just as guilty as if we broke every law. ( James 2:10; )
So the only way... is to be forgiven of our sins. Forgiven by who? There is only one answer, because
only one person paid the price for our sins.

Even Cain hated his sin after he did it. Even Judas hated his sin after he did it. Even Esau was sorry for his sin and
even tried to repent of it. ( Heb 12:17; ) David hated his sin after he did it ( 2 Sam 12:13-14; Psalms 51; )
Hating sin isn't enough to save us. We have to go further...we have to repent of sin. We have to confess
Jesus as our savior, and we need to ask for forgiveness.

Loyal
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Galatians 5:24
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

This is what we need to accomplish and grow in over the years of our faith and walk in the Spirit to fulfil the gospel.
The conflict between the old and the new, and the flesh and the Spirit, will always trouble us - but praying in the Spirit [tongues] and choosing to actively cultivate the fruit of the Spirit helps to increase the new inner self and one gains wisdom and strength in the Lord.
Baptism is always about going forward, and not back to Egypt. Remember Lot's wife.
But the flesh is weak and desires it owns wants and what is easier.
And the enemy constantly makes doing righteousness seem harder and not popular.
Eagles may soar the heights effortlessly, but I think us mere mortals are still ground dwelling
flightless birds.