• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Why is it hard to be saved?

I get these thoughts that I need to throw the lamp, hold my breathe till I pass out, or kill my mother! But those are hard things to do! Is this from God? Is he testing me ? Is this what it means to make Jesus your lord?or are these just intrusive thoughts ..

Staff Member
I get these thoughts that I need to throw the lamp, hold my breathe till I pass out, or kill my mother! But those are hard things to do! Is this from God? Is he testing me ? Is this what it means to make Jesus your lord?or are these just intrusive thoughts ..

First welcome to Talk Jesus James!
Glad you have chosen to post and seek answers to questions that are on your mind.

Intrusive thoughts of course. We are inundated with so much stimuli in today's society, Social media, gaming, Cable, even the internet to name a few, it's hard to know the origin of what pops into our heads. Especially, when if we were to think about it as you have, we realize they make little sense. I mean why try to hold your breath until you pass out? ;)

If you want to know if something comes from God or not. Then you need to know more about God to make that determination. The God that we as Christians believe in comes through Jesus Christ who is God incarnate. Meaning, God in the flesh. We know of His life through the Holy Bible. Especially through the 4 Gospels. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

So, there are many questions we ask ourselves, and as happens too often. Too few of them get answered in a way that satisfies! :( Still for us who are Christians there was always a starting point. I call it coming to the foot of the Cross moment. Each person here who calls Jesus Christ their Lord and Savior has a bio. Most have there stories typed there on how they came to know Jesus in the way that they do. You're welcome to take a look at them.

You don't say where you stand as a Christian. Meaning if you are one, or have gone to Church and heard some stuff about Jesus etc. but would not consider yourself one. So, I'm going to share some links with you from some Brothers & Sisters in Christ Jesus here who have posted some explanations to things you might not have given much thought to. I truly hope they help. I'm sure I won't be the last one to look to help you James. Know that I will be praying for you and once again "Be Welcome to Talk Jesus"!

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
Nick
<><

I have a lot of links, but I hope these can be a starting point for you.

Why believe in Christianity?

Father's Love Letter

How do I accept Jesus as my Savior?

Loyal
"A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things." Matt 12:35

What is the source of the things in your heart? TV, Internet, school, work, friends, family, etc.? Something is in your heart that is good or you would not be here on this forum seeking better answers, but something is also in your heart that is bringing evil thoughts to your mind. You need to cut off the sources of evil and replace the time spent on those with good sources. What's a good source? Bible reading and prayer are good sources. Don't ever leave yourself empty of the things of God but rather continuing shun the evil and seek after the good and surrender to God.
Sometimes people think that because they have attended church services regularly and have made commitment to God one time all is well. Indeed Jesus paid the price for us and cleaned us up but we must continue partake regularly of Him or...

"When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.
Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.
Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation." Matt 12:43-45

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Remember to keep your priorities right seeking always the first things first.

Loyal

All new born again Christians suffer from what you could call brain damage. The word "repent" means, "to change your mind" The carnal fleshly mind in our head is at "enmity" against God. (Romans 8:7) The word "enmity" means, "actively pursing and plotting against God" A believer Christian must begin to renew their mind with the word of God or you will have major problems in thinking wrong thoughts that can very vile like what you have described.

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Loyal
Curtis is right, repentance matters.
But also what we believe matters. There are thousands of religions and gods in this world. Only Jesus can save us. Only God can save us.

Psa 49:7; No man can by any means redeem his brother Or give to God a ransom for him—
Psa 49:8; For the redemption of his soul is costly, And he should cease trying forever—

No mere man can ever redeem or save you.

Psa 49:15; But God will redeem my soul from the power of Sheol, For He will receive me.

Only Jesus is our God and Savior.

Titus 2:13; looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus,

2 Pet 1:1; Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:

Only Jesus can save you, there is no one else.

Acts 4:12; And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”

John 14:6; Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

Loyal
God would Not be telling you to kill your mother, or hold your breath until you pass out or to throw the lamp.
God's Word Does give a person guidelines as to what To do. Philippians 4 is a wonderful chapter vs 8 for one 'Finally, brethren, whatever things are ture, whatever things are noble, just, pure, lovely, are of good report, meditate on these things."

Your post sounds like Maybe you're trying to rely on the good things you do to earn or keep your salvation? And when those very negative thoughts cross your mind, you think that Maybe God is telling you to do those things? But satan Does like to bug 'us'. Every so often satan Will put thoughts into our minds and we need to tell him to 'go away, leave me alone' and then purposefully think of something Nice.

It's Not hard to be saved -- satan Wants you to think that's the case.

Acknowledge your need -- that you're a sinner, that you can't save yourself. Salvation saves a person From having to spend eternity in hell and saves a person TO a new life in Christ / future eternity in heaven in God's glory with all the other people / loved ones who have Also accepted Jesus Christ as personal Savior. A born-again person no longer lives with guilt but with Forgiveness. Accepting that Jesus Christ's death, burial and bodily resurrection is all that is needed by You for forgiveness of your sins. Jesus paid it all on the cross. It's God's gift of salvation that needs to be accepted by you / everyone.

John 3:16 // 1 Corinthians 15:1-3

And B-A-C included some others.

Loyal
1 Pet 4:17; For it is time for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God?
1 Pet 4:18; And if it is with difficulty that the righteous is saved, what will become of the godless man and the sinner?

Php2:12; So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling;

On the other hand, maybe Satan wants us to think it's easy.

Active

It cannot be from God when it runs against His words in the scripture.

Luke 11:33 No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light.

So the thought about throwing out the lamp is not from Him when He wants your light to shine for everybody else to see.

Ephesians 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: 30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Matthew 4:6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

So the next time you get a negative thought to hurt or to harm yourself, just say it is written not for you to tempt the Lord your God in that way.

John 16:1These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be offended. 2 They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service. 3 And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.

So God would never ask you to kill your mother nor any one else.

So ask Jesus Christ for help to cast those negative thoughts away and to help you think on good thoughts. It is a daily thing to do in our walk with Him in this valley of death.

You do not need to make Him Lord of your life. Just believe that He is Lord of your life, and that He is in you and is with you always to help you walk with Him through this valley of death.

Psalm 23:1The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

So trust Him as your Friend and Good Shepherd today. You believe in Him as your Savior & therefore you are saved. Now believe in Him to be your Good Shepherd to help you live this reconciled relationship with God thru Jesus Christ each day.

Last edited: