• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Why forgive?

Hello,

I wanted to thank "Chad", for his uplifting message recently. I need to know more about the act of forgiving.
I have an older brother who is 63 years old. About 25 years ago he moved in with my parents because he got arrested and they bailed him out and he threatened suicide. So they took him in. Over those 25 years he took control in disrespecting them and cursing them, threatening as they got older to put them in the nursing home. My Dad lived to be 91 but during his last months my brother mocked him at every term. My brother was seen smiling at his funeral. My mother ended up going to the nursing home where she died of starving herself to death over a several month period. My brother, 2 days before her death, joked to her that she was going to the hospice and I feel it hastened her death. I wasn't there as often as I should have been. My parents gave their unconditional love to this man and he used them for his own personal gain.
So I ask, why should I forgive someone who actually gave God both of his middle fingers one day when he found my mother in her own kitchen looking for a something to eat. My brother is a disgrace to humanity.

Loyal
to me forgiveness is done for a number of reasons first and foremost because Jesus tells us to. I try my best to be obedient to my master my savior my lord.

funny thing is when we obey Jesus most of the time something happens that you never expected like for me, I can relate to this story on a personal level with a sister I have. At first I could not forgive her, But I prayed and prayed on it, for a forgiving heart, and what happened, was I realized me forgiving her was more for me letting go of my bitterness that was causing me not to have inner piece, her issue is with God not me, I turned it over to him, I pray for her daily, and things have gotten oooooooooooo so much better. I feel sorry for her and know the devil has her.

Forgiving someone is for you IMO if you dont forgive them the devil takes root in you by using bitterness and you can not be a good servant of God if you are bitter.

And the flip side of the coin I also know I am not perfect and I need much forgiveness in my life and we will not be forgiven if we can not forgive others.

I suggest praying and fasting on it, but it will make you a better follower of Jesus once you learn to forgive your brother and realize its because the devil has him and he needs yours prayers.

Staff Member
I feel sorry for her and know the devil has her.
Forgiving someone is for you IMO if you dont forgive them the devil takes root in you by using bitterness and you can not be a good servant of God if you are bitter.

Greetings @stanshall2003

If you view your brother as lost and in the grip of satan (in the way brother Dave says about his sister)
Your brother is a lost soul, facing a doomed eternity.

Pray for him.
Pray that your bitterness will be turned to compassion for his lost soul.
Ask the Lord to help you stop going over the past.....time cannot be turned back.
Rejoice that your brother is still alive and whilst he lives there is hope of Salvation

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Galatians 5:22-23