• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Why Five?

Loyal
40 "And he took his staff in his hand, and chose him five smooth stones out of the brook, and put them in a shepherd's bag which he had, even in a scrip; and his sling was in his hand: and he drew near to the Philistine."

David used one stone to drop Goliath, why then did he pick up five to use?

Loyal
If at first you don't succeed, try try again. :)

It's a good question, I don't really know the answer, but I had assumed it was in case and second or even a third "champion" of the Philistines
came forth after Goliath was dead.

Loyal

It's a good question, I don't really know the answer, but I had assumed it was in case and second or even a third "champion" of the Philistines
That's a good assumption...other champions as in...Goliath's brothers? He had four of them.

Loyal
We know from reading the Bible that David killed Goliath with the first stone. But when David was going in to battle, he didn't know that in advance - would it have been a lesser victory if the first two or three stones had missed the mark? He trusted in God wholly and he prepared for the fight to the very best of his ability, taking the best weapons he could use.

40 "And he took his staff in his hand, and chose him five smooth stones out of the brook, and put them in a shepherd's bag which he had, even in a scrip; and his sling was in his hand: and he drew near to the Philistine."

Adam Noah Abraham David Jesus. five stones and One toke out the enemy of God's people.

Loyal
Luke 20:17 But he looked directly at them and said, “What then is this that is written: “‘The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone’?
Luke 20:18 Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, and when it falls on anyone, it will crush him.”

Loyal

Five ministers, but only one, the right one, was needed to deal with Goliath:

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:" Eph 4:11-13

Loyal

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:" Eph 4:11-13
Interesting....What does this have to do with Davids killing of Goliath and the other four stones? I'm lost here.

Loyal
Luke 20:17 But he looked directly at them and said, “What then is this that is written: “‘The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone’?
Luke 20:18 Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, and when it falls on anyone, it will crush him.”
But that's not the stone that David threw at Goliath.

Loyal

Did you notice? David dropped the other four into his pouch...He didn't expect to need more than one for Goliath. If he did he would have held them in his hand.

Loyal
Interesting....What does this have to do with Davids killing of Goliath and the other four stones? I'm lost here.
The stones are the means to accomplish the end for David, the shepherd. The ministers are also the means to accomplish the end for the parts of the Body of Christ. Each minister does have his part to play even if we do not know always what that part is. The 5 stones are the types of an shadows of those ministers.

Loyal
he stones are the means to accomplish the end for David, the shepherd. The ministers are also the means to accomplish the end for the parts of the Body of Christ. Each minister does have his part to play even if we do not know always what that part is. The 5 stones are the types of an shadows of those ministers.
Hmmm Okay

Loyal
Did you notice? David dropped the other four into his pouch...He didn't expect to need more than one for Goliath. If he did he would have held them in his hand.
When he selected them from the river he put all five stones in the pouch. In his other hand, he held his staff. He rejected Saul's armour because he was not used to it. My guess is that while tending sheep, he kept a staff, sling and a small collection of stones with him. He approached Goliath doing what he was used to.

@Bendito why do you ask? Do you have an insight or a theory?

Loyal
When he selected them from the river he put all five stones in the pouch. In his other hand, he held his staff. He rejected Saul's armour because he was not used to it. My guess is that while tending sheep, he kept a staff, sling and a small collection of stones with him. He approached Goliath doing what he was used to.

@Bendito why do you ask? Do you have an insight or a theory?
Hmmm If he put all five stones into the pouch, what did he sling at Goliath? I did say what I believe about it The other four stones were for Goliaths brothers. If needed.

Loyal
Ok David put five stones into his pouch but obviously he took one out to do the deed.

Staff Member
Greetings,

If I may add a little following from the words presented so far by a wise old fossil,

the five ministers. If we can see the five ministers as being the five ministries of God given to the Body, that's step 1
Now, Goliath.
Who or what is the Goliath that challenges or opposes or threatens or mocks or defies the Word and all who are His?

What we have in Scripture is given for us to learn from and see the Lord's hand and to build each other up with, etc. Praise be to the LORD for what He has given.

So, David picked up the five stones and had them ready.
He was facing this creep Goliath, the enemy of God's people.

He did so by faith, not in himself but in the God of Israel Who Goliath was defying and because of who, the people were scare/frightened.

By faith he dipped his hand into the purse or bag, not to take out anything for himself but to fight the good fight of Faith.

We ARE NOT told he chose one stone over the others. If i may suggest, he dipped his hand in and God gave him the stone to use.

The rest of that scene is history (and should be told the world over along with all the other things the LORD has done). So, given that the Scriptures are given for us as we know, what do we learn from God's using men of faith to accomplish His will for the Body? (His People)

Today, we are the we I mean. (but you can also relate this through history of the Bible and the Church.
Who is the Goliath now, that defies and threatens both the whole Body and the individuals thereof?

Let us look again at the five stones presented by amadeus2

Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, Teachers.

What and where are we standing and where are we headin'?
God will provide and has done.
Let us not forget that He has made these stones or ministers available for us only through His Son and we are only His People, God's people, because He has provided His Way and Truth and Life.

Remember, too, that we are like the soldiers and people. We are not all Davids.
Who fights the fight for us? The Good Shepherd Who laid down His life for the flock.
He provides the Ministers and it is through His provision of the right minister at the right time that the Goliath is defeated in one blow.

We do not need to fight the fight He has fought for us.
We do, however, need to praise Him, for He has given us the victory!

Praise the Lord!

Here is the verse from 2Timothy 3:16 that I referred to regarding Scripture given.... notice the five in it, too.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Bless you ....><>

ps..@amadeus, forgive me if my reference to you as an old fossil offends.... said in love and kindness ... I had a bang on my head as a child and so my sense of humour is somewhat ..... ummm...

Loyal
Greetings,

If I may add a little following from the words presented so far by a wise old fossil,

the five ministers. If we can see the five ministers as being the five ministries of God given to the Body, that's step 1
Now, Goliath.
Who or what is the Goliath that challenges or opposes or threatens or mocks or defies the Word and all who are His?

What we have in Scripture is given for us to learn from and see the Lord's hand and to build each other up with, etc. Praise be to the LORD for what He has given.

So, David picked up the five stones and had them ready.
He was facing this creep Goliath, the enemy of God's people.

He did so by faith, not in himself but in the God of Israel Who Goliath was defying and because of who, the people were scare/frightened.

By faith he dipped his hand into the purse or bag, not to take out anything for himself but to fight the good fight of Faith.

We ARE NOT told he chose one stone over the others. If i may suggest, he dipped his hand in and God gave him the stone to use.

The rest of that scene is history (and should be told the world over along with all the other things the LORD has done). So, given that the Scriptures are given for us as we know, what do we learn from God's using men of faith to accomplish His will for the Body? (His People)

Today, we are the we I mean. (but you can also relate this through history of the Bible and the Church.
Who is the Goliath now, that defies and threatens both the whole Body and the individuals thereof?

Let us look again at the five stones presented by amadeus2

Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, Teachers.

What and where are we standing and where are we headin'?
God will provide and has done.
Let us not forget that He has made these stones or ministers available for us only through His Son and we are only His People, God's people, because He has provided His Way and Truth and Life.

Remember, too, that we are like the soldiers and people. We are not all Davids.
Who fights the fight for us? The Good Shepherd Who laid down His life for the flock.
He provides the Ministers and it is through His provision of the right minister at the right time that the Goliath is defeated in one blow.

We do not need to fight the fight He has fought for us.
We do, however, need to praise Him, for He has given us the victory!

Praise the Lord!

Here is the verse from 2Timothy 3:16 that I referred to regarding Scripture given.... notice the five in it, too.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Bless you ....><>

ps..@amadeus, forgive me if my reference to you as an old fossil offends.... said in love and kindness ... I had a bang on my head as a child and so my sense of humour is somewhat ..... ummm...
I am what I am. I was 74 on my last birthday so I would guess that makes me fit into the "old fossil" category. As to the "wise" part that holds true only insofar as the wisdom I share comes from God alone. Where I am wrong then it is just an old man in his flesh stumbling over his own words.
Give God the glory my friend.

Staff Member
I am what I am. I was 74 on my last birthday so I would guess that makes me fit into the "old fossil" category. As to the "wise" part that holds true only insofar as the wisdom I share comes from God alone. Where I am wrong then it is just an old man in his flesh stumbling over his own words.
Give God the glory my friend.

Bless you ....><>