• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Why Don't Christians Keep the Sabbath? 2-15-24

Active
It's been "Sunday" for so long and Dr. Barnett was the first for me to learn more about the it than anyone else!
When I mention it to other Christians even at work they are shocked.
I give them his channel's info and "See for yourself."

Loyal
I didn't watch the video. In the New Testament the Sabbath worship was changed to Sunday / the Lord's day to honor the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
A lady I'd known said that she rests on the Sabbath and worships on Sunday.

Loyal
I didn't watch the video. In the New Testament the Sabbath worship was changed to Sunday / the Lord's day to honor the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
A lady I'd known said that she rests on the Sabbath and worships on Sunday.
Sabbath was always the first day of the week which started on a saturday for the jews, but even then, that was transfered the best they could from a whole different system of calender which was based on the moon cycles, not the system the romans used based on the worship of false gods, which is what is commonly used now, the roman method based on roman gods worshiped. But God told me via the Holy Spirit, which doesnt mean a whole lot to anyone else, that we are to make sure you rest at least one day a week and try to think about him that day and pray a bit more that day, and if possible, keep to a certain day of the week, so that you dont forget. Christians simply added a day to celebrate Jesus, they didnt say to make that day the sabbath day.

Loyal
Christians didn't add another day to celebrate Jesus. The four Gospels state that early in the morning after the Sabbath-- very early in the morning. And that's why lots of churches have a sunrise service to celebrate by singing " Up from the grave He arose...".

Loyal
Christians didn't add another day to celebrate Jesus. The four Gospels state that early in the morning after the Sabbath-- very early in the morning. And that's why lots of churches have a sunrise service to celebrate by singing " Up from the grave He arose...".
"after the sabbath" as in the next day after its over

Loyal
Okay, well you said christians didnt add another day (a special day), but the christians started another day of remembrance of Jesus gathering together for christian fellowship and talk of Jesus. That became the day of church, which is where multiple ppl gather as one in Christ. But the sabbath didnt change days, they observed sabbath and then got together the following day.

Loyal
The "day of the church" ?! How about "the Lord's day." Sunday. 1st day of the week. His bodily resurrection. Proving that He was the Son of God. Rather than just another religious teacher of thst day.

Loyal
The "day of the church" ?! How about "the Lord's day." Sunday. 1st day of the week. His bodily resurrection. Proving that He was the Son of God. Rather than just another religious teacher of thst day.
Christians meeting together regularly on a certain day... day of the church....call it the Lord's day if you wish, but every day is the Lord's day to me, not just sunday. He proved He was not just another religious teacher by his many many miracles and of course His resurrection. But that has little to do with the sabbath.

Active
If God rested on the 7th day then Monday would be the start of the week.
The full Sabbath isn't just one day. Go big or go home.
"20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."
Matthew 18:20

If Sunday is the start of the week then Saturday is the Lord's Day.
So, does it matter that much? No.

Loyal
If God rested on the 7th day then Monday would be the start of the week.
The full Sabbath isn't just one day. Go big or go home.
"20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."
Matthew 18:20

If Sunday is the start of the week then Saturday is the Lord's Day.
So, does it matter that much? No.
The jews who dealt with the sabbath for a long time, said it starts it friday after the sun goes down and it doesnt end till the sun comes up sunday morning. But the days of the week, monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday, saturday, sunday, in many languages, the names given to the seven days of the week are derived from the names of the classical planets in Hellenistic astronomy, which were in turn named after contemporary deities, a system introduced by the Sumerians and later adopted by the Babylonians from whom the Roman Empire adopted the system during late antiquity. Originally the jews used the phases of the moon to count the days, and this system was used when the sabbath was first started per God's desire for us. So in agreement with your final analysis, indeed, saturday or sunday are both fine, as long as we regularly take that day of rest.

Sabbath was always the first day of the week which started on a saturday for the jews, but even then, that was transfered the best they could from a whole different system of calender which was based on the moon cycles, not the system the romans used based on the worship of false gods, which is what is commonly used now, the roman method based on roman gods worshiped.
I don't see what the different systems have to do with the continuity of the seven day weekly cycle. I wonder if you might explain.

Loyal
I don't see what the different systems have to do with the seven day weekly cycle. I wonder if you might explain?
Its about when to "properly" do sabbath according to what was handed down by God. But gentiles are not under the law, we simply make sure to rest one day a week, and to try and focus on the Lord that day. Using the moon cycles would put that sabbath perhaps on a different day than a saturday, not to mention that when it starts would change due to time zone differences in this age. If we were to follow the sabbath rules exactly as the ancient jews did when it started way back then, we would first have to number the days of our week, to something like quarter moon waxing... half moon waxing.... quarter moon wanning... you see what I mean? To do it exactly as the ancient jews did, you would have to move to their time zone and begin using the moon cycles.

Using the moon cycles would put that sabbath perhaps on a different day than a saturday [7th day of the week] ...

To support your comment with regard to moon cycles, what documentation are you using which shows that the seven day weekly cycle continuity has been interrupted at some point since the Messiah's time and today?

Loyal
To support your comment with regard to moon cycles, what documentation are you using which shows that the seven day weekly cycle continuity has been interrupted at some point since the Messiah's time and today?
LOL, you misunderstand. I dont care if you believe it or not. If its important to you, verify it yourself. I told you what I found out a long time ago, not going to the effort to research it all over again.

Loyal
Apparently, I don't. I thought you were saying that we can't know when the original seventh day of the week Sabbath of the 4th commandment (3rd one if you're RC) actually is today.
Although thats exactly what I am saying, the sabbath as was given by God to the ancient Israelites long before the time of Jesus's time with the apostles. During the time of Jesus here on earth, they were using the roman system.

Although thats exactly what I am saying, the sabbath as was given by God to the ancient Israelites long before the time of Jesus's time with the apostles. During the time of Jesus here on earth, they were using the roman system.
The Messiah was without sin. That would mean He had to have kept the Sabbath, and that would had to have required Him observing it on the correct day of the week according to the commandment, i.e., the seventh day. Since there is no evidence that the weekly cycle has been interrupted between then and now, we can know when the seventh day is.