• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Why do we feel empty in our heart?

Emptiness comes from selfishness. Selfishness results from a sense of insecurity; and a sense of insecurity results from lack of faith in God’s abounding love and mercy. Most of us know that there is a God and that He loves us. However, many of us have never internalized the full extent of His love. Furthermore, we have never made His type of love, our love. For example, God accepted humiliation, suffering and death in order to compensate for our sins, which we committed against Him. In other words, He the victim compensated for our offenses that we the offenders committed against Him. Although our sins against Him included unfaithfulness, betrayal, abuse, torture and killing; because, of His infinite love and mercy, He sacrificed His life for us. In human thinking this is absurd; because, we generally punish, hurt or hate those who hurt us and ask them to compensate for the wrong they have done to us. Furthermore, we abandon those who are unfaithful to us and betray us. Now, if we can only internalize these facts, we would realize the depth of His love for us and feel secure even in our worst tragedy. We would therefore, not be concerned about our own interest. This would make us less selfish. Furthermore, if we can love others like He loves us, by loving and helping those who are unfaithful to us, betray us, abuse us, torture us or try to kill us, we would be totally free of selfishness and find fulfillment in life. We would also then be true followers of Jesus.

It doesn't seemt to me that emptiness always is a result of selfishmess. It can be... but sometimes it must come from being before God, considering who he is as God - Who has ways that are not ours. Do you think it possible that "true" followers of Jesus felt or feel empty sometimes when seeking with a whole heart? Jesus asked why he was forsaken when on the cross. He wasn't selfish.

I think you guys are misunderstanding the difference between satisfaction in God vs. the seeking after satisfaction itself. When our whole desire is God and being satisfied in God---this is a correct understanding. It isn't selfish to seek and desire and be satisfied in God. Now, it is selfish to seek after satisfaction itself; or seeking after fullfillment itself or happiness itself. When we turn our eyes from the One whom we desire and desire His gifts--this is wrong. I however do think it is wrong when Christians put an emphasis on "a God shaped-hole" because its "absurd". Why does one need to be told how to be satisfied in God (when it should automatically happen), especially, when one sees the utter wickedness of their sins and then the love of Christ? When Christians use this as a draw card to the carnal mind it produces a false motive and becomes selfish. ''Emptiness" should never be used to bring sinners to God. It is not in Scriptures. We need to evangelize the way Jesus did it! Luke 18

All I was saying was that when our whole desire is God, feeling empty is not wrong nor does it indicate that our whole desire isn't God. I agree that discontent shouldn't be used to win people to Christ, unless the emptiness is part of an area of sin. And yes, the distinction between when the emotion comes from sin or not is an important one and has everything to do with motive. I guess I just wanted to say something to contest a conclusion that an uncomfortable emotion must be rooted in sin. (The inital post is "emptiness comes from selfishness." - the rest has some great stuff, I just don't think the conclusion of knowing sacrifice and loving as He did means you don't ever feel empty.)

Administrator
Staff Member
fightngwrmwood said:
It doesn't seemt to me that emptiness always is a result of selfishmess. It can be... but sometimes it must come from being before God, considering who he is as God - Who has ways that are not ours. Do you think it possible that "true" followers of Jesus felt or feel empty sometimes when seeking with a whole heart? Jesus asked why he was forsaken when on the cross. He wasn't selfish.

I agree completely. I have been going through a phase and/or trial of emptiness and loneliness for the last several months due to various reasons. It is not selfishness whatsoever on my part or else I would know so by now as I have fasted and pray daily in all I do (some days better than others, human after all).

Let's keep in mind if anyone on Talk Jesus or any believer outside is going to say things about what is or is not, Scripture to back it up would be nice.

Jesus was not selfish when He asked the Father "why has thou forsaken me?" was he? No. He knew Himself (GOD) would never forsake anyone, promise made in Scripture already before the Resurrection (that moment Jesus said those words).

Emptiness comes from selfishness. Selfishness results from a sense of insecurity; and a sense of insecurity results from lack of faith in God’s abounding love and mercy

Not always true, hope you'll agree. Is everyone who feels empty selfish? No way. First, GOD puts us through trials as that (when GOD is near but "seems" distant). Second, episodes in life may make us feel empty whether it be us being selfish or OTHERS being selfish towards us.

Definition: (selfishness)

Merriam Webster Dictionary:

1 : concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others
2 : arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others <a selfish act>

Psalm 22:1
"My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? Far from my deliverance are the words of my groaning."

Matthew 27:46
"About the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, 'Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?' that is, 'My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?'" (read Psalm 22 also)

Relationship with GOD is like a two-way street. GOD has already proven and made clear His desire to have a relationship with us:

1. Creation
2. Scripture (He gave us His Living Word)
3. Jesus Christ = Salvation / Redeemer

James 4:8
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Arunangelo, I agree on the rest of your post and hope that we all will experience the fullness of GOD. I am in struggle mode right now due to various reasons be it me, others around me or both. I know its both me and others around me. However, point is that emptiness as far as my personal experience tells me is not always out of selfishness from our part. I have experienced it 3 ways: my part, others and emptiness from non-selfishness related matters.

If I am in the wrong about what I said, please back it up with Scripture. I'm all about what GOD tells us. I thirst His Living Word daily

:icon_biggrin:

Scripture to back it up

:embarasse :) Okay I gotta work a little.

Some verses that apply to people following the Lord and having negative emotions:

In light of the holiday season:
Luke 1:29 [Angel Gabriel] 'Rejoice, you who enjoy God's favor! The Lord is with you!" She was deeply disturbed by these words and asked herself what this greeting could mean...

Matthew 14:25
In the 4th watch of the night, he came towards them, walking on the sea, and when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified."

It seems a natural response to a supernatural God is to freak out. He's not like us and doesn't work in ways that we are accustomed to.

some old school -

Genesis 22:10 Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to kill his son.

God asked him to do this and it had to bring forth emotions in Abraham that weren't positive.

- somewhere in James 1: Never, when you are being put to the test say, "God is tempting me." God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He put anybody to the test. Everyone is put to the test by being attracted or seduced by that person's own wrong desire. Then desire conceives gives birth to sin, and when sin reaches full growth, gives birth to death.

So what Abraham did with his feelings were the test. Not the emotions themselves.

Deuteronomy 4:9-11 But take care, as you value your lives! Do not forget the things which you youselves have seen, or let them slip from your heart...Yahweh said to me, "Summon the people to me; I want them to hear me speaking, so that they will learn to fear me all the days they live on earth, and to teach this to their children."

Reverence, fear, to be in awe of how great He is.

Specific to emptiness

Psalm 86
Listen to me, Yahweh, answer me,
for I am poor and needy.
Guard me, for I am faithful,
save your servant who relies on you.

My big thing right now is focusing on how to become more dependent on God and less on myself. Feeling a need means feeling emptyness and powerlessness sometimes. If I didn't feel empty, I wouldn't need Him to fill me.

And as a side note - you gotta love CS Lewis - you just got to! A Grief Observed
"Talk to me about the truth of religion and I'll listen gladly. Talk to me about the duty of religion and I'll listen submissively. But don't come talking to me about the consolations of religion or I shall suspect that you don't understand."

Last edited:
fightngwrmwood said:
:embarasse :) My big thing right now is focusing on now to become more dependent on God and less on myself. Feeling a need means feeling emptyness and powerlessness sometimes. If I didn't feel empty, I wouldn't need Him to fill me.

That is an awesome thought. Maybe we just need to identify the emptiness we feel and compare it with Scripture to see if it is right or not.

Sucat

Let me add my 2 cents.

Okay! Let me add my 2 cents.

1.) Jesus was (A)1.&2. lonely and (B)felt far from God and forsaken as David did because he was being faithful in the middle of the wicked and unbelievers who were tormenting him and scoffing at him because of his faithfulness.

(A)1.Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me. Matthew 17:17

2.Jesus felt lonely, because of the unbelievers around him and sad because his friend Lazarus had to die so he could preformed a miracle so that the people would believe the truth. Jesus knew Lazarus was going to be rised from the dead before it happened so his weping and his groaning was mostly caused, not because of the loss of Lazarus but by the unbelief of all those he loved and was trying to save. His loneliness as a believer among many unbelievers.

These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep. Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well. Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead. And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him. Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him. Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already. Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off: And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother. Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house. Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee. Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again. Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world. And when she had so said, she went her way, and called Mary her sister secretly, saying, The Master is come, and calleth for thee. As soon as she heard that, she arose quickly, and came unto him. Now Jesus was not yet come into the town, but was in that place where Martha met him. The Jews then which were with her in the house, and comforted her, when they saw Mary, that she rose up hastily and went out, followed her, saying, She goeth unto the grave to weep there. Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled. And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. Jesus wept. Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him! And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died? Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it. Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God? Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me. And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go. Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him. John 11:11-45

(B) All of Psalm 22 inclusive.