• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

why do bad things happen to good people

I don't see the need to keep this post on now, so i'm editing it.
thank you those who tried to help.... i always appreciate appropriate Bible verses..... they help tremendously !
If you find verses that would be helpful, i'd sure like to be reminded of them :)
thanks and God bless !

Last edited:
Administrator
Staff Member
God bless you sister. Let me help you out. I suggest you ask your Christian friend to read the book of Job. Many times GOD puts us through trials and tests our faith. As for being sexually abused, I cannot answer that honestly. There are many factors that can be involved into why such things happen.

"She still loves God very much but she can't get to read the Bible or pray"

That is the problem here, a major one. She is not reading the Word of GOD, absorbing spiritual food nor is she communicating with GOD (prayer). She cannot expect deliverance unless she faithfully prays and asks for healing, deliverance, comfort and all in Jesus' name.

Prayer is necessary

Psalm 143:1
O LORD, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for mercy; in your faithfulness and righteousness come to my relief.

Romans 12:12
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

James 5:15
And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.

James 5:13
Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.

Jude 1:20
But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit.

GOD is Holy. We are sinners who need to Trust Him faithfully.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

During Job's trial, says this

Job 1:21
"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised."

Sin = Death

Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God

Hello lilywhite

you have to be there somewhere in the distance or close by whatever she needs lilywhite. You cant do it for her she has to do it herself and you just have to be a good mate to her.

Also i didn't agree with you 'good people' thing yeah. i don't think bad things should happen to anyone at all, not just good people. Any way there are no good people the bible says, not one. Only god is good.

If you can be there and be quiet she will tell you what she needs from you if you listen. don't be scared of the pain in her she needs it to just come out i think so when it has done she might be ok. ok?

you sound like a good mate lilywhite

No easy answer

The question you ask is one of the hardest to answer. Sometimes we do not know or may never know why God allows things to happen.

Being there for her is one of the best things you can do. Sharing the Love of Christ with her.

James 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of {our} God and Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their distress, {and} to keep oneself unstained by the world.(NASB)

Like the disciples asked Jesus whose sin was the reason he was blind his parents or his own. Jesus said it was neither but to show the glory of God.

John 9:1 As He passed by, He saw a man blind from birth.
John 9:2 And His disciples asked Him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?"
John 9:3 Jesus answered, "{It was} neither {that} this man sinned, nor his parents; but {it was} so that the works of God might be displayed in him. (NASB)

That it is why it is so important that you or someone of the body of Christ to be there and walk through these things with here. We do not always have an answer but you can be there for her and share Christs' love and reassure her of salvation in Christ and that she will be whole again.

I wish I could give you an answer that would wrap it all up all nice and tidy, but I cannot.

Just know that the sufferings of this life will not even compare to the glory we shall receive when Christ returns.

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.(NASB)

2 Cor 1:5 For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ.(NASB)

Peace be with you,
Your Brother in Christ,
John.

she doesn't have anyone to be there for her from the body of Christ... they all abandoned her when the waters came crashing down ... which caused her to be disillusioned with christianity to a certain extent...

Last edited:
i was thinking of what title to write so that was a line that came to my mind... i don't mean 'good' as in the literal sense or meaning. Its true only God is good.

Sorry i didn't explain that properly or rather express it properly..... about the girl not reading the Bible and praying. she did pray a lot and does pray a lot when it comes to talking to Jesus like plain talking or pouring out her heart to Him. What i meant by prayer is what she used to do before..like intercession and praying for others. she had an illness that prevented her from reading or writing and a lot of stuff.

Last edited:
I liked those verses brother John.... it made me think of this..... suffering produces patient endurance.....
ahhhhhhhhhhh...... its not easy!!!!!!!

I don't think anyone can actually answer this question....... why i asked it in the first place i don't know... must've been crazy enough to actually ask it...
My question has more or less been answered by a song by Rita Springer i listened to....... "I don't understand Your ways, oh but I will give You my song, I'll give You all of my praise, You hold on to all my pain, and with it You are pulling me closer, pulling me into Your ways.......... Now around every corner and up every mountain, i'm not looking for crowns or the water from fountains, i'm desperately seeking, frantic in believing, that the sight of Your Face is all that I need... its gonna be worth it......"
And then of course there is Job...... ah well..... so it is that i am poured out like milk and curdled like cheese......

But i so often wish i had christian fellowship and that my friends didn't all just abandon me... it makes me think why have friends when they aren't with you in sorrow or to give you a listening ear or a shoulder to cry on..... that is distressing.

lilywhite said:
ahhhhhhhhhhh...... its not easy!!!!!!!

I don't think anyone can actually answer this question....... why i asked it in the first place i don't know... must've been crazy enough to actually ask it...

Hey lily :love: what great courage did you show by coming out and typing the most hurtful, secret feelings that seem to chew you up . . .

I would like to say comforting words . . . you know. . .like cream on your soul and all . . .but somehow. . .i have the feeling to challenge you to fight!!!

Fight back hon! Claim Jesus victory and shout out praise like the song you described. . . Give God all Glory to be alive and thank Him for a new day of overcoming and fighting fear :love: and hurt :love: and pain :love: one day at the time :love:

Here is a little start-up help . .. you will find lotsa more. . .or you can go on Bible Gateway and listen to the Psalms too . . .you know :shade: let it sink in your ear by voice and patient sound :love:

Psalm 9

For the director of music. To the tune of "The Death of the Son." A psalm of David.

1 [a]I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart;
I will tell of all your wonders.
2 I will be glad and rejoice in you;
I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.

3 My enemies turn back;
they stumble and perish before you.

4 For you have upheld my right and my cause;
you have sat on your throne, judging righteously.

5 You have rebuked the nations and destroyed the wicked;
you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.

6 Endless ruin has overtaken the enemy,
you have uprooted their cities;
even the memory of them has perished.

7 The LORD reigns forever;
he has established his throne for judgment.

8 He will judge the world in righteousness;
he will govern the peoples with justice.

9 The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed,
a stronghold in times of trouble.

10 Those who know your name will trust in you,
for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.

11 Sing praises to the LORD, enthroned in Zion;
proclaim among the nations what he has done.

12 For he who avenges blood remembers;
he does not ignore the cry of the afflicted.

13 O LORD, see how my enemies persecute me!
Have mercy and lift me up from the gates of death,

14 that I may declare your praises
in the gates of the Daughter of Zion
and there rejoice in your salvation.

15 The nations have fallen into the pit they have dug;
their feet are caught in the net they have hidden.

16 The LORD is known by his justice;
the wicked are ensnared by the work of their hands.
Higgaion. Selah

17 The wicked return to the grave, [c]
all the nations that forget God.

18 But the needy will not always be forgotten,
nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish.

19 Arise, O LORD, let not man triumph;
let the nations be judged in your presence.

20 Strike them with terror, O LORD;
let the nations know they are but men.

Lily,

Do you have home Church, and if so do they have Stephen Ministry?

Stephen Ministers are Christian believers who are willing to be there with and walk through all things with you and will not be judgemental, and all you share with them is confidential. They are lay caregivers, and they will listen to you and want to share the love of Christ with you.

Peace be with you,
Your Brother in Christ,
John.

thanks peeps that was a nice psalm.
Nope i never heard of stephen ministers. Home church...yeah.... um.... i suppose so but not really again... uh well hard to explain.

Last edited:

Mmj

God never said it was going to be easy. He said if you choose Him you will be persecuted and the way will not be easy. Satan will try to break you away from GOD and make you think it is GOD’s fault. It is not GOD and he doesn’t want you to hurt. But he will let you be a little disappointed on earth but wait until you go to heaven!

lilywhite said:
i know you probably heard this before....but i was wondering if someone could give a deeper insight into this topic that is Biblical. I know all the 'preachy' answers..... but they're not practical.
so why do bad things happen to good people. I'm talking about serious christians who are p***ionately in love with God. Why does God allow them to go through trauma such as critical illnesses and sexual abuse, when they're crying out to Him for help while they're being tortured or abused. Why does He allow it?

How do you minister to someone who has been a devoted christian and still been crippled or disabled, even tortured and sexually abused? Someone who feels God has let her down and broken all His promises of being her Protector and Refuge.
Im trying to find words to say but i can't. And she is pretty much dying with the pain, wounds, heartache and brokenness. I've read up books but i have no words to comfort her. She still loves God very much but she can't get to read the Bible or pray. Doctors write her off also and don't want to handle her case because it is dangerous. God's promises seem blurred and distant and apply to others but seem far from her.
Anyone has any "real" practical answers from the Bible? That might be of some help. Like are there any Bible verses that will help.

YSIC,
lily
Lilywhite - What I have to say won't be easy to swallow, but here goes:

No believer has the right to try to hold God accountable. as your friend is doing. He is Sovereign. He is Lord. We have no right to put expectations on Him. MT 5: 3,5 - "Blessed are the poor in spirit (humble), for theirs is the kingdom of heaven; "Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth."

Your friend needs an attitude adjustment. Let me tell you a little story: I have a very close Christian friend who, as a teenager, regularly visited the residents of a nursing home in his hometown. One of the residents there was a wheelchair bound elderly lady who suffered from painful rheumatoid arthritis. Her hands were so knotted up, they were nearly useless.

One day when my friend came to visit, she took him aside and said, "Terry! Guess what!, I get to pray for every person in here!" In spite of her pain, that lady found joy (Nehemiah 8:10) in serving others while God was delivering her by walking her through her pain. You see, in the Scriptures, "deliver" rarely means "to remove from" ; it usually means to "walk through" (See PS 23:4).

Last edited:
Forgiveness, not seven times, but seventy times seven, meaning forever.

1 Corinthians 13,

"Love endures all things"

:love:

Understanding that its the Evil one who has done this to you through others.

Forgiving them for they know not what they do.

Loving them for who they are, without the Evil one at work within them.

I feel this is the only way.

Put your hate towards the Evil one, not at the vessel in which he used to commit his evil act.