• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Why Believers are Guiltless for Profaning the Sabbath

Active
Why Believers are Guiltless for Profaning the Sabbath; Jesus said so by referring to the O.T. on how saints back then had profaned the sabbath and yet because they were in the Temple, they were blameless, and then He referred to One greater than the Temple was here when the Pharisees were seeking to judge His disciples for profaning the sabbath, meaning His disciples were guiltless because Jesus was with them.

Matthew 12:1At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat. 2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day. 3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him; 4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests? 5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless? 6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple. 7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

Believers have to understand and correct their witness because the law of keeping the sabbath day was not abolished, but because we have obtained His righteousness apart from the law is why we are guiltless for profaning the sabbath day.

Look at the new reality in Christ Jesus because having our bodies made as temples of the Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ dwelling in us is why we are guiltless for profaning the sabbath.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

That is why we do not see in any epistle to remind believers to keep the sabbath but instead we see warnings not to judge believers by any day.

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Romans 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

The Jews were to keep the sabbath day to obtain salvation, but we are saved by believing in Jesus Christ & that God raised Him from the dead, and with Jesus Christ in us as our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit, this is why we are guiltless for profaning the sabbath day. So the law was not done away with, but the purpose of keeping the sabbath day for obtaining salvation has been paid for by the ransom of Jesus Christ for why we are guiltless.

Active
The Sabbath was a law to the Jews, for the Jews. A day to pay respect to God for helping them escape Egypt. We were not in Egypt.

Deut 5:14 The seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your ox, nor your donkey, nor any of your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates, that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you. And remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and an outstretched arm; therefore the LORD your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.

Active
Matthew 12:1At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat. 2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day. 3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him; 4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests? 5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless? 6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple. 7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

I like how Jesus says ''have you not read'' and ''had you known what this means''. These statements can make for a long discussion.

Anyway, my two cents is, perhaps many have not read or grasped Col 2:16. We must not bash anyone who does feel they need to respect the Sabbath. Rom 14:5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.

Active
I like how Jesus says ''have you not read'' and ''had you known what this means''. These statements can make for a long discussion.

Anyway, my two cents is, perhaps many have not read or grasped Col 2:16. We must not bash anyone who does feel they need to respect the Sabbath. Rom 14:5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.

Usually, it is those that feel the "need" to respect the sabbath are the ones judging others for not keeping the sabbath, and they wind up condemning them as living in sin or worse, not Christians at all. If they "want" to respect the sabbath and not "need" to respect the sabbath, then they shouldn't be judging others just because they "want" to honor the Lord Jesus Christ that day. "Need" would denote a special requirement of the person, but if they acknowledge that they are blameless for profaning the sabbath day, then there is no need to keep the sabbath, but just a desire to honor the Lord that day... and any other day they want to..

The Sabbath IS a Covenant to Israel
Given to the Children of Israel
only!
The Sabbath is HIS Day HE gave to Israel to keep!
As the scriptures read:
Exodus 20:11
[11]For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Ezekiel 20:12
[12]Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.

Exodus 31:13
[13]Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

Exodus 31:16-17
[16]Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

[17]It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

A slightly different perspective ... consider the Sabbath a joy ... not a legal thing to be observed or not. "If you are lead by the Spirit you are not under the law." Let the Lord open up the end of Isaiah 58 in the light and grace of Jesus and the New Testament. The Sabbarth priniciple changes from one of being a drag (guilt if I don't keep it), to being a joy and even something to look forward to! In our house, we set it aside - not as a legal thing, but as something I believe He has lead us to - to take a rest! To reach out to others, to put Him first, to fellowship with outhers ... and the blessings of the end of Isaiah 58 have "overflowed"! :grin::grin:

Active
The Sabbath IS a Covenant to Israel
Given to the Children of Israel
only!
The Sabbath is HIS Day HE gave to Israel to keep!
As the scriptures read:
Exodus 20:11
[11]For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Ezekiel 20:12
[12]Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.

Exodus 31:13
[13]Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

Exodus 31:16-17
[16]Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

[17]It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

That is why the sabbath day no longer serves as a sign between God and the children of Israel when the gospel is given to every one. We are all children of God by faith in Jesus Christ; that is our new "sign" in identifying with God by.

Galatians 3:1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? 4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain. 5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. 7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. 8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham. 10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. 12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them. 13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: 14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith. ....26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

All praises to FATHER AHAYAH YASHAYAH WA RAACH!

Gentiles are not under covenant that's why they don't understand covenant!

Exodus 31:13,16
[13]Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you THROUGHOUT YOUR GENERATIONS; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

WE The Children of Israel in THIS generation is still under covenant!

[16]Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath THROUGHOUT THEIR GENERATIONS , FOR A PERPETUAL COVENANT.

CHRIST YASHAYAH My King and the disciples kept the sabbath and the Holy Days!

Active
What is the 4th Commandment?

Do you know why believers profaning the sabbath day are guiltless?

Then read Matthew 12:1-7

Matthew 12:1At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.

2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;

4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?

5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.

7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.