• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Why are you a Christian?

Loyal
I've heard dozens of answers on this.
I know we have some on here who don't claim to questions. This question isn't for them.

But for those who consider themselves Christians. Why did you become a Christian?
It may seem like an unnecessary question, but I think with all the answers we might get, that
isn't necessarily so.

1. So I could be saved? Saved? So for what? Saved from what?
2. Because I love Jesus? Why do you love Him?
3. Because Jesus died for me? Why did He die for you? What does that mean to you?
4. So that I will go to heaven.
5. So that I "won't" go to hell.
6. So that I can have peace and love in my heart.
7. So that I will have someone with me when I'm going through troubles and fears.
8. So demons won't attack me.
9. So that I can love my fellow man.
10. So that I can have eternal life.
11. So that I can stop being a slave to sin.
12. So that I can go to heaven even if I continue in sin.
13. So that this girl/boy will date me.
14. So I can financially be blessed.

These are few reasons I have heard... often it's a combination of two or three of these together.
A few of these.. like 11 and have to do with your view of what salvation really means.
I'm sure there are other reason that I didn't list, feel free to add more reasons as you feel led.

The other thing I have noticed,.. is that reason often changes over time.
For example nobody loves Jesus before they know Him. But after they get to know Him, then they love Him.

I'm not asking why you picked Christianity over another religion. I'm not asking why Christianity
instead of Islam or Hinduism. I'm asking what does being a Christian mean to you?
How does it make you different from non-Christians? Is there any difference at all?
Do your friends and family even know you are a Christian?

The world Christian comes from "Christ". The savior, the messiah. Christians believe Jesus
is the Christ in "Christ"ian. So what does believing in Jesus mean to you?
How does believing in Jesus help you? How does it hurt you?

Why are you a Christian?

Loyal
I know it isn't always easy here. Because everyone criticizes people answers. But I hope people can
feel free to be honest here. If you feel someone else is wrong.... fine start another thread about that.
Maybe they will discuss it with you. Maybe not, either way I don't want to argue about it here.
I just want to know... why?

Loyal
Because God created me to Love Him and be loved by Him because He created me to be His.

We all have a place in our heart where He is supposed to be and nothing will fill it except Him.

It cries out to Him from the day we are born and I honored that cry because He is My Creator and He is God!

Loyal
" I'm asking what does being a Christian mean to you?"

as you mentioned, it may change as time goes by. For instance when I was growing up it meant I believed in God and went to church and that was about it.

But I always had a yearning for the word of God always since the first time I herd a priest say "it is written" when I was a young boy I remember vividly thinking in church man if I knew whear it was written I could know everything LOL As a young boy I remember needing to know what scripture was. But unfortunately those thoughts were less and less as I grew older I and became of the world.

So when I hit Rock bottom I went to the word of God, and read it all the time, then once I started changing I really found out what being a Christian means to me !!
- Means I am no longer a slave to sin.
- Means I see the world in a whole different light, things and people that used to impress me do not any longer
- Means a inner piece and joy I have never known, and no amount of money can ever by, would not trade it for anything
- Means knowing what my purpose is and capitalizing on my God given gift and using it for the Kingdom of God rather then myself which brings much greater joy then if I was to use it on myself
- Means all of the sudden I have huge desire to help orphans and widows
-Means my focus is on the Kingdom of God and not on this earth,
- Means I see eternal wealth that will last forever, versus earthly wealth that will be gone in a blink of an eye, but I see earthly wealth that can be sent ahead and stored up in eternal wealth by using it now for the Kingdom of God
- Means to really take to heart what the bible says Love is
1 Corinthians 13:4-8
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.

- Means I Obey the word of God

Active
I know it isn't always easy here. Because everyone criticizes people answers. But I hope people can
feel free to be honest here. If you feel someone else is wrong.... fine start another thread about that.
Maybe they will discuss it with you. Maybe not, either way I don't want to argue about it here.
I just want to know... why?
I feel like discussions have got meatier and deeper to be honest. We have been on a rampage in the last few weak's of interrogating scripture and beliefs on this site.

A sign of the times? People tired with fake Christianity? God, tired of it? I do believe there is a shaking going on!!!!

This is a most excellent thread BAC. Let's tackle the heart of our Christianity!

I became a Christian because I liked Jesus. I saw Him in my best friend and wanted what he had. I grasped what God did for me and became so consumed with anxiety of wanting to love and serve Him. The thought of failing and disappointing Him truly terrifying me nightly. I truly believe we all live in that state. The constant balance of being ashamed of God verse batting for Him. Wanting to make friends and be popular verse standing for your belief.

I am still a Christian today because my love for God has grown to such a depth as I have better grasped Him, heard Him speak to me every day for some twenty years now. He has never stopped speaking to me. Never given up on me. I can go through uncomfortable things in life and still preach and teach positively about Him. That is not a reflection on me, just that His goodness literally outweighs everything when you 'get it'. There is just such a deep connection that words cant explain. I can say, I 'know' God. I 'get' Him. I do believe I would serve God even if He sent me to hell. I would be like ''you / we have only got ourselves to blame for this to the fellow inmates'', ''God did all He could and more''. ''He pushed the rules to the max''. ''He is truly without blame and sin''. I will serve Him and defend His goodness and love wherever I am.

Can't wait to see God and thank Him for making me and being so good. I just truly hope I am not that guy who got one talent and did little for Him. That thought eats at me daily. I can't imagine living with God, knowing something like that. When we are with Him and grasp how good and loving and kind and merciful He is. Being a Christian is such an emotional ride.

You want to chop the ears off of all those who attack Him. Yet you will still welcome them into your house and look after them as He would. I believe we are like roaring... sheep.

I can't really tell you why I was a Christian back in the hay days.
I'm sure I had reasons that seemed reasonable back then, but they never were reasonable enough to keep me believing.

Active
I can't really tell you why I was a Christian back in the hay days.
I'm sure I had reasons that seemed reasonable back then, but they never were reasonable enough to keep me believing.
Jesus said don't be surprised when I say you must be Born again! ...I don't think you where Christian before

Jesus said don't be surprised when I say you must be Born again! ...I don't you were you where Christian before
I was in the what now? No, obviously I was never born again. Forget all the times I talked to Jesus as if he was there, forget all the times I felt some feeling prompt me to speak about Jesus before wicked men, forget all the times I stood up for my faith in front of JW, Mormons and others who tried to lead me astray, and forget about all the times I reaffirmed my faith by getting on my face and asking for his spirit.

Active
YaY! Now how do I do that? Is there some magical password I must utter to become born again, or is it an act of God?
  • You have to want a change in your life.One thing is we have to get you to the point were you are not so cynical towards God. God does not deal in magic, he is all powerful.
  • There is a famous verse regarding this: Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him. I assure you, you are not here by mistake...perhaps God is knocking on you door. I now look back and see where he had been knocking for a long time.
  • You want magic...here it is: You have to realize that you are here for a reason and that you can't do it by yourself. According to you, you have tried all this before...it is not unusual...many of us can relate to this in our lives....it just wasn't your time .
  • Thank God you are reaching out with your past failures.
  • You need to do something similar to Romans 10:8-13 But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: 9 If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is LORD," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
  • You must realize you can't do it alone and you must want change in your life and be ready to get on your needs, ask Jesus for forgiveness and ask him in your life.....and read, read , read the Bible.

• You have to want a change in your life.One thing is we have to get you to the point were you are not so cynical towards God. God does not deal in magic, he is all powerful.
  • There is a famous verse regarding this: Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him. I assure you, you are not here by mistake...perhaps God is knocking on you door. I now look back and see where he had been knocking for a long time.
  • You want magic...here it is: You have to realize that you are here for a reason and that you can't do it by yourself. According to you, you have tried all this before...it is not unusual...many of us can relate to this in our lives....it just wasn't your time .
  • Thank God you are reaching out with your past failures.
  • You need to do something similar to Romans 10:8-13 But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart," that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: 9 If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is LORD," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
  • You must realize you can't do it alone and you must want change in your life and be ready to get on your needs, ask Jesus for forgiveness and ask him in your life.....and read, read , read the Bible.
Meh.

Loyal
We all have a place in our heart where He is supposed to be and nothing will fill it except Him.

I think this is why atheists frequent Christian websites. They are looking for something. They say they everything they need, and yet...

.. here they are. I don't think it's by accident either. :)

I think this is why atheists frequent Christian websites. They are looking for something. They say they everything they need, and yet...

.. here they are. I don't think it's by accident either. :)
Actually I am a Bio Desist, I am far removed from the ideals of Atheism.