• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Who Was Married?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
I sleep funny, especially since I got into research. Some nights I'll sleep up to eleven hours, and other nights, like last night, only five...What happens is, while I'm sleeping a thought will pop into my mind. Often its a question about something I read recently or years ago. This morning just as it started getting light, around four AM. The question came...."How many of the original twelve were married?"
Here they are, attending t the Jesus the Christ School of Ministry...Traveling, working at learning the teachings of the school, working at putting that learning into practice.....and the women who followed along with them in their travels. Who were these women? We know that the two Mary's followed Jesus; Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses There was a lady called Salome', and many others....So by Jewish custom of the day, an unmarried daughter belonged to her father. She was a chattel...something owned. Then when she married, she became the property of her husband....So my question....What father, having an unmarried daughter would allow her to wanter all over the country wth a bunch of unmarried men? And what husband would allow his wife to follow such a group? Answer....None! Then, who were these women?
We know that Peter was married...But who else was?
No, its not a new question...People have been asking it for a long time....So here are the disciples... Some are fishermen...Not rich but well off financially, I would consider it likely that since they were grown since they were financially stable, they probably did have wives, or were at least betrothed, which was, for the Jews, equivalent to being married legally. There were others whom we're not sure of their occupations. Two of them were disciples of John the Baptist..who followed Jesus. Old enough to be married. One whom I would say was probably unmarried...Matthew the dreaded and despised tax collector.
Back to the women....They followed and workes as part of the Ministry of Jesus the Christ School of Ministry... I believe that the ministry supported them as well. as the twelve disciples....Why do I believe that? Jesus taught that a worker was worthy of his wages....The ministry had enough money where it was necessary to have a treasurer. Unfortunately, the man was a treasonous treasurer who by dint of his lack of scruples was hopefully unmarried.. ... But they needed a treasurer,
Well, there are the ruminations that cut my sleep off this morning......What are your thoughts on the subject? Really, I'm not looking for answers, I'm not sure that there are any....Just your thoughts....

Loyal
1 Cor 9:5; Do we not have a right to take along a believing wife, even as the rest of the apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas?

The "rest" of the apostles? Seems to imply many were married. The brothers of the Lord would be James the less and Jude. Cephas is Peter.

1 Cor 9:6; Or do only Barnabas and I not have a right to refrain from working?

It seems Paul, and (perhaps?) Barnabas wasn't married. Barnabas was counted as an apostle also.

Acts 14:14; But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they tore their robes and rushed out into the crowd, crying out

Some Roman Catholics don't like these verses, and some even say they are "mistakes", but it is VERY unlikely there would the same mistake three times.

Matt 8:14; When Jesus came into Peter's home, He saw his mother-in-law lying sick in bed with a fever.
Mark 1:30; Now Simon's mother-in-law was lying sick with a fever; and immediately they *spoke to Jesus about her.
Luke 4:38; Then He got up and left the synagogue, and entered Simon's home. Now Simon's mother-in-law was suffering from a high fever, and they asked Him to help her.

Loyal
1 Cor 9:5; Do we not have a right to take along a believing wife, even as the rest of the apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas?

The "rest" of the apostles? Seems to imply many were married. The brothers of the Lord would be James the less and Jude. Cephas is Peter.

1 Cor 9:6; Or do only Barnabas and I not have a right to refrain from working?

It seems Paul, and (perhaps?) Barnabas wasn't married. Barnabas was counted as an apostle also.

Acts 14:14; But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they tore their robes and rushed out into the crowd, crying out

Some Roman Catholics don't like these verses, and some even say they are "mistakes", but it is VERY unlikely there would the same mistake three times.

Matt 8:14; When Jesus came into Peter's home, He saw his mother-in-law lying sick in bed with a fever.
Mark 1:30; Now Simon's mother-in-law was lying sick with a fever; and immediately they *spoke to Jesus about her.
Luke 4:38; Then He got up and left the synagogue, and entered Simon's home. Now Simon's mother-in-law was suffering from a high fever, and they asked Him to help her.
I agree....Unfortunately, we can't use the bible very much to answer the question either...Jewish tradition and such would play a very heavy role here...
So I've been up for four and a half hours now, and its a dull and very juicy day....I think I might go back to bed....(snicker) I can do that....I'm retired

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
pookiejr Relationships 12
Chad Relationships 22
Chad Bible Discussions 0