• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Who is your favorite OT Hero? (and why?)

Loyal
I'm just curious here... I don't want to ask about the New Testament, because I think most
people would likely say Jesus.

But what's your favorite Hero story in the Old Testament?

Is it Elijah and the prophets of Baal ( 1 Kings 18; )
Is it Meshach, Shadrach and a Abednego? ( Dan 3; )
Is it David killing Goliath? ( 1 Sam 17; )

Perhaps it's Jonah?
Samson killing the Philistines?
How about Noah in the Ark?
Joseph? Esther? Ruth? .. maybe none of the above? Someone else?

Who's your favorite hero of the Old Testament... and why?

Loyal
OK... I guess I will start here.

My favorite seems to change from year to year but right now I am really favoring the story
In Judges 7, where Israel has to fight the Midianites and Amalekites.
Israel has an army of over 30,000 men here. But God reduces them all the way down to
300 men before they battle the enemy.
Verse 2 explains the reason for this... "for Israel would say "My own power has delivered me".
To me this story is about putting trust in what we can see, instead of what God tells us.
But Gideon is faithful and sends away most of his army.
Verse 12 says the Midianites and Amalekites were as numerous as locusts, and their camels
were without number. But Gideon only had the 300 men...
This could be a great movie plot, but it's in the Bible.

Administrator
Staff Member
I admire many because in the OT, these were men and women (Esther) that had faith like true warriors. They didn't know about Jesus like we do. They didn't have the NT like we do. Our faith today in our better environment do not require serious faith like those in the OT. I think my choice would be Daniel. He graciously denied the king's order to bow down to him or eat his delicacies, knowing his life was easily on the line. He had relentless dedication, faith, obedience to God.

Loyal
If I had a chance to spend a few days with an old Testament character, I might choose Samuel. Look how he leads Israel, then graciously hands over to Saul and then continues to support David. Great wisdom, humility and sacrifice.

King Solomon. Mainly because of the rare gift of wisdom and intelligence he possess.

Loyal
King Solomon. Mainly because of the rare gift of wisdom and intelligence he possess.

That's a very interesting choice. Even with all his wisdom he turned away from God at the end. ( 1 Kings 11:3-10; )

That's a very interesting choice. Even with all his wisdom he turned away from God at the end. ( 1 Kings 11:3-10; )
"I will always endeavour to look at people for their good qualities and perhaps learn a thing or two from their mistakes" :)......so that when I see myself in similar situation I will know what to do. For if god is with me who can be against me.

Loyal
Enoch, as he walked with God, and Enoch was no more for God had taken him. I would like to ask him a few questions.

BAC, mine change too, but ...Rahab for her faith and courage, especially considering Chads point about not having the Scriptures and Jesus, plus being a woman in those times, and Daniel is also one of my favorites because he was so righteous and yet loved his people so much he confessed their sins as his own.

Loyal
Like Curtis, my favorite OT person is Enoch. You dont read a lot about him, but he was so beloved by God that he was one of only 2 people who never saw death as we know it. The fact that we dont know lot about him makes me like him more, despite his lack of praises by other men for righteous acts, God honored him.

Active
Daniel is also one of my favorites because he was so righteous and yet loved his people so much he confessed their sins as his own.

Mine have changed over time. Enoch was my first hero I knew as a favorite. But the more I study and read of Daniel, the more I feel drawn to his particular character and his heart. No matter the consequence, Daniel is always humble, faithful, and trusts God with everything in him. When he knew they wrote a law that would condemn him for praying to our Living God, what did he do? Went straight to his room and prayed to God. That is pure love for our Father.

I also, cough, have a personal bias I will admit. :whistle My name is Daniel. :laugh:

It means God is my Judge. :)

Active
Well at the moment I'm reading about Jonah.
I do sort of identify with Jonah. I sometimes want to escape and go to Tarshish too.

But I really admire Daniel's courage.
As for heroines. Rahab gets a mention...and then there's Hannah who prayed so much they thought she was delirious (or drunk), Ruth who was so forward she proposed, and Tamar-in-disguise.

I would have to say Daniel. He served God under a nation that wasn't his and a ruler that tried to change his faith. He stood strong and trusted the Lord.