• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Who can and cannot be saved.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:12)

It is an evil person that don't believe in God did has programmed it.
Make believe this android was made by a devout, God fearing Christian who believes, and the android believes. Except it feels convinced it has a soul. And the whole rest of the world tells it it doesn’t, it’s “just” a machine. What do you say to it?

Unworthy Servant
Staff Member
Maybe it thinks it is an apple with a bite taken out of it? [a sort of identity crisis??]

Greetings Mr Kirby [how are you?]

I was thinking of asking you about which OS you are using but sounds like it may be an android?

Bless you ....><>

Make believe this android was made by a devout, God fearing Christian who believes, and the android believes. Except it feels convinced it has a soul. And the whole rest of the world tells it it doesn’t, it’s “just” a machine. What do you say to it?
Devoted by who? You maybe then I ask you question and you program it to answer. My God don't created machines to have conversations program into it for debating or talking whatever. Are you an android?

Active
Ok. I think this fits within the rules of the scenario.

When Jesus returns, all things in heaven and earth will be reconciled to himself. All that's good and pure will be glorified, all that's evil will be destroyed - burnt up.

So there's grounds for hope for our android friend that he will have continued existence in the new creation.

Active
Top Poster Of Month
We're talking a machine right? A robot type of thing. So a Person invents a machine and Programs it in a certain way. No matter how the machine is programmed, it Never can 'become' human. It is a sophisticated Machine. But still a Machine. And it can't be programmed to Think. Unless you're trying to talk about artificial intelligence. And That is Still artificial. No person can ever 'invent' anything with a soul. Only God can do that.

The future that God is preparing is only for people with a soul.

We're talking a machine right? A robot type of thing. So a Person invents a machine and Programs it in a certain way. No matter how the machine is programmed, it Never can 'become' human. It is a sophisticated Machine. But still a Machine. And it can't be programmed to Think. Unless you're trying to talk about artificial intelligence. And That is Still artificial. No person can ever 'invent' anything with a soul. Only God can do that.

The future that God is preparing is only for people with a soul.
You have sort of hit upon my problem. Yes, it’s “just” a machine. Sure, if we want to call it “AI” we can. “Real” AI has always bee kind of a moving target since the first calculating machines were built in WWII. Let’s just say it’s a very lifelike robot controlled by a VERY clever computer that you or I have programmed. What if it is programmed so well neither we nor anyone who meets it nor even ITSELF can tell it “doesn’t have” a soul.

A not-so obvious way to think of it is this: How are you absolutely sure you have one? I don’t mean that as a rhetorical question. I mean, what if this android asked us every conceivable question trying to figure out for itself if it has a soul and it insists it senses every bit of every detail that you and I claim distinguishes us as ensouled. What if that android spends 80-90 years participating as a helpful, beneficial “member” of its community. Never so much as hurts a fly, but, instead, spends its time helping and saving people.

What do you think of the notion of rewarding that android with an afterlife in Paradise?

Active
Top Poster Of Month
You're Also asking if people really do have a soul? Yes, we do. It's the spiritual part of us. It's the part of a person who wants to worship 'something'.

No human being can 'create' another being.

And, yes, there are incredibly intelligent / creative people who can 'make' something Almost human.

You're talking about a "Data" on Star Trek -- He was an andriot who - over time- really wanted to be human. He wanted a 'program' to make him a male in every way possible. He wanted to be human just like everyone else on board.
Well -- the Dr. guy who'd invented him -- Was - indeed just a human being who'd created a very sophisticated androit who looked pretty human. There was an episode where another crew member -- someone on board -- fell in love with him. But she realized, after a while, that though he could be programmed to act a certain way -- the reality was that he lacked human warmth. At one point, they were kissing and she asked him what he was thinking. Hoping it would be something romantic. Instead he'd been thinking about a complex math problem and something else totally unrelated to being a man with an attractive woman in his arms.

At times, we meet people who are So logical minded -- so business -minded. Maybe a strong choleric personality. Great on a business level but up close and personal -- no real emotional closeness.

The creator Of the very sophisticated android knows it's simply a machine. A very sophisticated machine -- but Still a machine. It won't 'take over'. It won't mate with another andriot.

The creator Can simply 'unplug' it -- disconnect it. Deprogram it.

Besides -- you're assuming that the creator Of will program it to be a nice, helpful robot in society. What if that creator decides to create it with a sadistic personality. Or as a narcisist. Or maybe the creator him/ herself IS that type of personality.
And his/ her desire is to create lots of others like themselves.

Machines don't last forever. A short circuit develops. Or some other genius gets jealous and comes up with a newer , even 'better' andriod. Well -- look at how fast technowledgy is developing NOW.

Or maybe -- as a machine -- doesn't require food or nourishment of any kind. It Could out-live people?! It would eventually end up in a heap of scrap metal somewhere. Because , in reality, that's what it really is Scrap metal.

People who accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior ARE rewarded with an afterlife in Paradise.