• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

When is it right to walk away from a church?

Active
I have to agree with this way of thinking. While going to a so-called " mega- church" I noticed that the people made a big deal out of putting all their hundreds in the envelope and making sure people saw them when they tithed but I had just been saved, was struggling to get on my feet and literally spent my last money for the bus to get there and they made me feel ashamed when I would just pass the bowl with their looks or they would look me up and down and snicker and it was humiliating. To me I was just grateful to be there and felt I had come a long way from where I had started. When I found myself needing some help I went to them and they said they only helped refugees from other countries. I told them I had been coming there for almost a year and had no other options at my disposal. They then wanted my proof of how much I had tithed but I had given cash, when I had it and had no " proof". Since I hadn't written any checks that they would've put in the computer they turned me away. I felt like this wasn't what Jesus intended because this church had a congregation of at least 3,000 people every Sunday. The bill I needed help with was $160. I wasn't asking for cash. Needless to say my utilities got shut off in the middle of winter and my daughter had to go live with her dad and I quit going to that "church." Later I looked up the pastor's home online and was floored at where he lived and found out he made over $100,000 per year.

Hi Die,

I hope you don't mind me quoting your post in your Babylon thread?

It made really toe curling reading. Last week I posted about the need for believers to meet together in church to worship God together and share and minister to each other saying that no church is perfect, just because you're critical of some aspects, that's no reason for a lie in on a Sunday. Then I read Die's posts shook my head. If the man Jesus attended that church He'd have launched the offering bowl from one end to the other Matthew 21:12. In fact I don't think it qualifies to call itself a church, rather it's an income generator. That is the raison d'être of the organisation, God is simply a brand used to convince the duped to part with their hard earned. Those without sufficient are discarded. Those in need are patronisingly blessed and asked to move on. Passages like:
If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? James 2:15‭-‬16 NKJV apply to other churches, not them.

This is what we see on Christian TV. A church the size of concert venue but instead of a headlining chart topping pop star, there's a guy in a suit strutting around the stage, screeching down the microphone, trying to wind the audience up like a game show host on coke. Others are more circumspect, a very silky smooth presentation, more akin to a life coach than a preacher, he tells the congregation to think positive, believe and everything will be wonderful. Then there follows the call to action, unlike the Old Billy Graham there's no come to the front, confess your sins, repent and believe. No, instead there's a, menu of means of making a substantial donation, they take MasterCard and visa. You can pay by PayPal via the website. I heard one guy a couple of years ago imploring viewers to donate a $1,000, advising, if you haven't got it in your account, take it out of your savings and if you don't have any savings, put it on your credit card.

Are there churches that really are not worth going to?

Last edited:
Hi Die,

I hope you don't mind me quoting your post in your Babylon thread?

It made really toe curling reading. Last week I posted about the need for believers to meet together in church to worship God together and share and minister to each other saying that no church is perfect, just because you're critical of some aspects, that's no reason for a lie in on a Sunday. Then I read Die's posts shook my head. If the man Jesus attended that church He'd have launched the offering bowl from one end to the other Matthew 21:12. In fact I don't think it qualifies to call itself a church, rather it's an income generator. That is the raison d'être of the organisation, God is simply a brand used to convince the duped to part with their hard earned. Those without sufficient are discarded. Those in need are patronisingly blessed and asked to move on. Passages like:
If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? James 2:15‭-‬16 NKJV apply to other churches, not them.

This is what we see on Christian TV. A church the size of concert venue but instead of a headlining chart topping pop star, there's a guy in a suit strutting around the stage, screeching down the microphone, trying to wind the audience up like a game show host on coke. Others are more circumspect, a very silky smooth presentation, more akin to a life coach than a preacher, he tells the congregation to think positive, believe and everything will be wonderful. Then there follows the call to action, unlike the Old Billy Graham there's no come to the front, confess your sins, repent and believe. No, instead there's a, menu of means of making a substantial donation, they take MasterCard and visa. You can pay by PayPal via the website. I heard one guy a couple of years ago imploring viewers to donate a $1,000, advising, if you haven't got it in your account, take it out of your savings and if you don't have any savings, put it on your credit card.

Are there churches that really are not worth going to?
Maybe....they broke my heart because I had faith and did not see it coming. I mean, my husband and my son and I did our triple baptism there! We LIVED for church! Another heart wrencher was when they had SANTA come in and give kids presents by the Christmas tree. I mean, if you insist on doing something for the kids, just have the Pastor do it! But Santa? Yeah ,"Here you go kids! In a couple years you will find out Santas not real...then you won't think Jesus is either....." I left there crying softly...

I used to think John Hagee was the real deal...then he talked about the prosperity seed and the harvest. Very disappointing. Then I saw this...THIS IS A REAL PREACHER. ( viewer discretion is advised) start it at about 4 minutes

We should go to a church to learn the Word and get closer to God (John 1:1). Because God is known through the word, we must discern teachings and leave a church if it does not have truth according to the Bible.

Active
Maybe....they broke my heart because I had faith and did not see it coming. I mean, my husband and my son and I did our triple baptism there! We LIVED for church! Another heart wrencher was when they had SANTA come in and give kids presents by the Christmas tree. I mean, if you insist on doing something for the kids, just have the Pastor do it! But Santa? Yeah ,"Here you go kids! In a couple years you will find out Santas not real...then you won't think Jesus is either....." I left there crying softly...

I used to think John Hagee was the real deal...then he talked about the prosperity seed and the harvest. Very disappointing. Then I saw this...THIS IS A REAL PREACHER. ( viewer discretion is advised) start it at about 4 minutes

Hi Die,

I know it's easy to be critical of TV evangelists, and I know that maybe I am, overly. This guy to me tells half the story, he reminds me of the preachers that were known as the old fashioned hell, fire and damnation that were doing the rounds when I was little. Trouble is, he majors in on the unthinkable end of the soul in its natural state but makes little mention of the amazing salvation, the massive huge cost of that salvation, the love, power, joy and wellbeing that comes with a relationship with the all-powerful, almighty God, helped by His Holy Spirit and the unimaginable, everlasting future of the redeemed soul in a heavenly state.

One thing that did resonate with me was his very valid criticism of the church's shying away from all mention of the impending fate that awaits the unsaved soul but this guy swings the other way. I've recognised for some time that the church has this unwritten pact with the world: don't mention hell, fire and damnation and we won't call you lot, Bible thumping weirdos. I wonder if maybe this pact has arisen as a reaction over the years of 'old-style, doom preachers'? Yes, you can't preach a message just telling people what they want to hear but by the same token, what's the likely result of only telling people what they don't want to hear?

Don't lose sight of the fact that God rescued us from the totally unimaginable horrors that were our inevitable fate and put us in an amazing place. You can't differentiate between two places by just describing one, either one. Imagine a TV crew interviewing a guy that's been rescued by a lifeboat; the guy only wants to talk about the wind, the cold, the waves and refuses to mention the lifeboat: or if the guy only wanted to talk about the lifeboat, disregarding the peril he was in. Incomplete stories don't resonate. I don't want the pendulum to swing back, well not all the way anyway. We need balance when we're preaching, or more likely when we're witnessing and telling peers, friends, rellies and colleagues about the wonderful kingdom of God.

Well that's my take on it, anyway. God bless you.

Loyal
When is it right to walk away from a church? What brought 'you' to it in the 1st place? Has the teaching changed? Are some of the people being grumpy for one reason or another? Are changes being made in the building that you don't agree with? Has the pastor moved on and you don't like the interim? or you don't like the new preacher? Are you married and now expanding your family and want to be around other new parents?

Nothing wrong with visiting a church for a while and then going somewhere else. Depends what a person is looking for In a church. Usually a combination of things. Is God's Word being taught? Are the people friendly / encouraged to share what they learn? Is there respectfulness for Being in God's house for worship? Is there order in the service? Is there a quiet, meditative atmosphere in the church ? Is it hymn singing or Praise and Worship? A good combination of the young and older people?

No church is perfect -- but if sinfulness is obvious and nothing is being done about it. Speak to the pastor or deacon or Sunday School teacher about it in private and quietly. Their reaction will say a lot regarding staying or leaving.

And there Are those who feel that once you join a church , it's your church Family for life.

There were years when 'we' moved around so much -- job changes -- that we never joined a church.

And a church Should be wanting to reach out to the neighborhood as well as foreign missions.