• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

When did Satan first Sin?

Active
The reason I ask, he wasn’t cursed until the deception in the Garden.
Genesis….. God said,”Because thou hast done this “ .

Not for trying to overthrow the throne in heaven

Active

This is the only time God spoke of a curse to Satan.
It is only speculation that Satan is Lucifer. But here we have a clear account,”Because thou has done this “.

Active

Like everything else, it seems, the scholars are divided on the first sin of Satan.

There are several Old Testament mentioning's of Satan. The most revealing on his sin is found in Ezekiel 28.

The Holy Spirit is speaking through Ezekiel using the king of Tyrus as a symbol for Satan. I agree with the scholars that these verses cannot be speaking of a mortal man, they indeed are speaking of Satan.

In vs. 13 we see that Satan has been in Eden, the Garden of God.

In vs, 14. " Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee."

The word "iniquity" is interchangeable with sin. So here we have the first sin of Satan, but we don't know exactly if it happened in the Garden, as was mentioned in this passage, or if it took place at his rebellion against God before the foundation of the world.

In vs. 16 it is repeated that Satan has sinned, and God has stripped him of his position as the "covering cherub."

In vs. 17 it seems to me that Satan's sin was before the Garden when his pride was lifted up in his beauty and his wisdom was corrupted.

It is my opinion that the following verses in Isaiah gives the first sin of Satan, and God's judgement that he is sentenced to Hell. This being his thoughts that supposedly led to his rebellion against God. But we can't be absolutely certain of this, we are guessing this took place before the Garden.

Isaiah 14:12-15

" How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit."

Active
Like everything else, it seems, the scholars are divided on the first sin of Satan.

There are several Old Testament mentioning's of Satan. The most revealing on his sin is found in Ezekiel 28.

The Holy Spirit is speaking through Ezekiel using the king of Tyrus as a symbol for Satan. I agree with the scholars that these verses cannot be speaking of a mortal man, they indeed are speaking of Satan.

In vs. 13 we see that Satan has been in Eden, the Garden of God.

In vs, 14. " Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee."

The word "iniquity" is interchangeable with sin. So here we have the first sin of Satan, but we don't know exactly if it happened in the Garden, as was mentioned in this passage, or if it took place at his rebellion against God before the foundation of the world.

In vs. 16 it is repeated that Satan has sinned, and God has stripped him of his position as the "covering cherub."

In vs. 17 it seems to me that Satan's sin was before the Garden when his pride was lifted up in his beauty and his wisdom was corrupted.

It is my opinion that the following verses in Isaiah gives the first sin of Satan, and God's judgement that he is sentenced to Hell. This being his thoughts that supposedly led to his rebellion against God. But we can't be absolutely certain of this, we are guessing this took place before the Garden.

Isaiah 14:12-15

" How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.

Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit."

I guess that was my point. That the deception of Eve was the actual attempt to overthrow.
As I understand it,he still has access to heaven today.

Active
I guess that was my point. That the deception of Eve was the actual attempt to overthrow.
As I understand it,he still has access to heaven today.

Yes, I believe it was definitely an attempt to overthrow God, and it's possible it all took place in the Garden.

Satan has been striped of his position in heaven, but as we see in Job, he still has access to God, to the very throne of God.

It's in Rev. that we read Satan is cast out of heaven completely, no more access to God.

That's when he knows he has but a short time left.

Active
Yes, I believe it was definitely an attempt to overthrow God, and it's possible it all took place in the Garden.

Satan has been striped of his position in heaven, but as we see in Job, he still has access to God, to the very throne of God.

It's in Rev. that we read Satan is cast out of heaven completely, no more access to God.

That's when he knows he has but a short time left.

If there is a rapture,he now has a short time to fight against the church.

Loyal
@ Lentz the Bible tells us there will be a rapture -- its a matter of When it will take place.
As for When did Lucifer sin and become Satan. He was created as God's right hand angel. He was beautiful but wanted it all. Pride was his downfall. Literally. There was a war and Lucifer and his followers were thrown out of heaven and down here to earth. There has been a struggle here on earth ever since. Satan and the beast and false prophet know they are doomed to eternal hell.

Loyal
Satan (Lucifer) was created in "Eden the Garden of God", he was not created in "the Garden of Eden." They are NOT the same place!

Eze 28:13 You were in Eden, the garden of God. Your clothing was adorned with every precious stone—red carnelian, pale-green peridot, white moonstone, blue-green beryl, onyx, green jasper, blue lapis lazuli, turquoise, and emerald—all beautifully crafted for you and set in the finest gold. They were given to you on the day you were created.
Eze 28:14 I ordained and anointed you as the mighty angelic guardian. You had access to the holy mountain of God and walked among the stones of fire.

How do I know this? Because the Angels were all created before the earth came into existence. The angels shouted for joy as God was laying down the foundations for the earth. The Garden of Eden did not exist at this time.

Job 38:4 “Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you know so much.
Job 38:5 Who determined its dimensions and stretched out the surveying line?
Job 38:6 What supports its foundations, and who laid its cornerstone
Job 38:7 as the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

Satan was already a fallen angel when he appeared in the Garden of Eden.

Active
Satan (Lucifer) was created in "Eden the Garden of God", he was not created in "the Garden of Eden." They are NOT the same place!

Eze 28:13 You were in Eden, the garden of God. Your clothing was adorned with every precious stone—red carnelian, pale-green peridot, white moonstone, blue-green beryl, onyx, green jasper, blue lapis lazuli, turquoise, and emerald—all beautifully crafted for you and set in the finest gold. They were given to you on the day you were created.
Eze 28:14 I ordained and anointed you as the mighty angelic guardian. You had access to the holy mountain of God and walked among the stones of fire.

How do I know this? Because the Angels were all created before the earth came into existence. The angels shouted for joy as God was laying down the foundations for the earth. The Garden of Eden did not exist at this time.

Job 38:4 “Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you know so much.
Job 38:5 Who determined its dimensions and stretched out the surveying line?
Job 38:6 What supports its foundations, and who laid its cornerstone
Job 38:7 as the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?

Satan was already a fallen angel when he appeared in the Garden of Eden.

I agree they are not the same Garden. It is believed "Eden the Garden of God" was on this earth before Adam and Eve and Satan ruled the earth, having been given dominion over the earth. How long before Adam and Eve we don't know. When he rebelled against God we don't know.

It seems that God took the dominion of this earth from Satan when he fell and later gave it to man. The gap in time is unknown.

I agree Satan fell at some point before Adam and Eve were created. Which would mean this world existed before the six day creation that included man.

This brings us to the Gap Theory between Gen 1:1 and 1:2. Which I believe has some credit. The scientists say the earth is around some 4 million years old, and they could be right.

Loyal
I agree they are not the same Garden. It is believed "Eden the Garden of God" was on this earth before Adam and Eve and Satan ruled the earth, having been given dominion over the earth. How long before Adam and Eve we don't know. When he rebelled against God we don't know.

It seems that God took the dominion of this earth from Satan when he fell and later gave it to man. The gap in time is unknown.

I agree Satan fell at some point before Adam and Eve were created. Which would mean this world existed before the six day creation that included man.

This brings us to the Gap Theory between Gen 1:1 and 1:2. Which I believe has some credit. The scientists say the earth is around some 4 million years old, and they could be right.
I was going to mention that but did not want to open up another can of worms. So, it looks like you opened it up. I do believe Lucifer was at one time ruler of the earth that then was.

Active
I was going to mention that but did not want to open up another can of worms. So, it looks like you opened it up. I do believe Lucifer was at one time ruler of the earth that then was.

I talk about this quite often with the atheists. There are a couple of atheist forums where I haven't been banned yet. I spend more time there than I do here.

I tell them that in Gen. 1:1 God created the heaven and the earth. In vs. 2 the earth was without form and void.

God didn't create the earth void and without form, something catastrophic took place that caused it to be that way.

Some of the theologians say the war in heaven at the rebellion of Satan caused this to happen.

They say the creation we read in the Scripture is a recreation of what was destroyed.

I have read it many times and I can see that is possible from what the Scripture says.

This is what is called the Gap Theory and falls in line with the evidence the scientists have on the age of the earth.

Active
Pride. Pride led to rebellion against God (2nd sin).
Twisting God's Words to deceive Eve (3rd sin)
Adam brought sin into the world.
The idea sin can't exist in Heaven isn't true.
The Almighty had patience and love so great for Lucifer he had the free will to but did NOT repent nor did the angels on his side.
We won't' truly know many answers that are asked unless we get to Heaven.

Active
Pride. Pride led to rebellion against God (2nd sin).
Twisting God's Words to deceive Eve (3rd sin)
Adam brought sin into the world.
The idea sin can't exist in Heaven isn't true.
The Almighty had patience and love so great for Lucifer he had the free will to but did NOT repent nor did the angels on his side.
We won't' truly know many answers that are asked unless we get to Heaven.

I agree with what you're saying, but one note. The fault was on the part of Eve not Adam.

1 Tim. 2:14

"And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression."

This can be seen in two different ways since Adam did eat of the fruit also.

The blame seems to be on Eve because she believed the lie of Satan and caused Adam to eat also.

Active
I agree with what you're saying, but one note. The fault was on the part of Eve not Adam.

1 Tim. 2:14

"And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression."

This can be seen in two different ways since Adam did eat of the fruit also.

The blame seems to be on Eve because she believed the lie of Satan and caused Adam to eat also.

I think it would be more proper to say Eve brought sin into the world.

The very second she bit into that fruit, sin came into this world.

We don't know the span of time that Adam later ate of the fruit.

But we do know that when Adam ate the fruit, sin had already come.

Active
If she did and sin came into the "world" then Adam would've known.
In Romans 5, Adam is held culpable, with no mention of Eve:
“Sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people” (verse 12).

“Death reigned from the time of Adam . . . even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam” (verse 14).

“Many died by the trespass of the one man” (verse 15).

“By the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man” (verse 17).

“Through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners” (verse 19).

Given the hierarchy of God - Man -Woman then it makes sense that sin did NOT hit until Adam ate.
She didn't know she was naked until he ate.

In 1 Timothy 2:14, Paul makes a subtle distinction between the sin of Adam from the sin of Eve: “Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.” Eve fell into sin because of a deception; however, Adam was not deceived, which means he chose to sin. When Adam took the fruit from his wife, he knew full well what he was doing. He was not misinformed or misled; he simply decided to rebel against God’s command. He chose to listen to his wife instead of to God (Genesis 3:17).

The New Testament teaches that, as the first man, Adam represented all mankind. He was the head of the human race, and “everyone dies because we all belong to Adam” (1 Corinthians 15:22, NLT). The suffering and death that resulted from Adam’s sin emphasizes our need for a Savior—whom Scripture refers to as the “last Adam” (1 Corinthians 15:45). That title for Christ, and the multiple comparisons of Adam to Christ, would make no sense if original sin had come through Eve.
Therefore, when he ate, BOTH learned of Good and Evil and also their nakedness. She was too young to ignore her nakedness.

Active
Adam was at fault for not keeping his wife under subjection. God told Adam about the tree,not Eve. He was to see to it being obeyed.

The verse is correct,Adam was not deceived. He did it himself.
I guess you could say,walked in with both eyes open

Active
If she did and sin came into the "world" then Adam would've known.
In Romans 5, Adam is held culpable, with no mention of Eve:
“Sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people” (verse 12).

“Death reigned from the time of Adam . . . even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam” (verse 14).

“Many died by the trespass of the one man” (verse 15).

“By the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man” (verse 17).

“Through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners” (verse 19).

Given the hierarchy of God - Man -Woman then it makes sense that sin did NOT hit until Adam ate.
She didn't know she was naked until he ate.

In 1 Timothy 2:14, Paul makes a subtle distinction between the sin of Adam from the sin of Eve: “Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.” Eve fell into sin because of a deception; however, Adam was not deceived, which means he chose to sin. When Adam took the fruit from his wife, he knew full well what he was doing. He was not misinformed or misled; he simply decided to rebel against God’s command. He chose to listen to his wife instead of to God (Genesis 3:17).

The New Testament teaches that, as the first man, Adam represented all mankind. He was the head of the human race, and “everyone dies because we all belong to Adam” (1 Corinthians 15:22, NLT). The suffering and death that resulted from Adam’s sin emphasizes our need for a Savior—whom Scripture refers to as the “last Adam” (1 Corinthians 15:45). That title for Christ, and the multiple comparisons of Adam to Christ, would make no sense if original sin had come through Eve.
Therefore, when he ate, BOTH learned of Good and Evil and also their nakedness. She was too young to ignore her nakedness.

Yes, that is the other way of looking at it, as I mentioned.

The scholars make the point that the man is the head of the woman, and is responsible in that role. Although man is responsible it was the woman that transgressed, as pointed out. Sin didn't wait on Adam to eat to enter into the world when Eve ate of it.

So it can be viewed in different ways, I won't argue that, Brother.

Active
Yes, that is the other way of looking at it, as I mentioned.

The scholars make the point that the man is the head of the woman, and is responsible in that role. Although man is responsible it was the woman that transgressed, as pointed out. Sin didn't wait on Adam to eat to enter into the world when Eve ate of it.

So it can be viewed in different ways, I won't argue that, Brother.

But even Eve’s eyes were not opened until Adam partook.
Leaving one to wonder,even though Eve ate,because Adam didn’t,would there be sin?

Active
But even Eve’s eyes were not opened until Adam partook.
Leaving one to wonder,even though Eve ate,because Adam didn’t,would there be sin?

First, we don't know how Eve knew, probably Adam told her, but she knew the the fruit of that tree was forbidden by God.

When Satan tempted her, she said, the fruit of that is forbidden for us eat. So she knew as well as Adam.

I agree that Adam walked into it with his eyes wide open, but he was not deceived, he probably ate it to please her.

The bottom line for me is that Adam was also guilty, and he was responsible for the woman's actions.

But he was not the transgressor of God's law that brought sin into the world., only by responsibility.

Eve was the transgressor that brought sin into the world.

We picture Adam standing right there when Eve was deceived by Satan, I don't believe that to be the case at all.

I believe Satan took Eve alone to tempt her thinking she was his best chance of deceiving.

How long the time from when she ate until he ate is unknown, it could have been a few minutes or a few hours, no one knows.

Loyal
Man can sin in two ways. One, by doing something God says “NOT to do”, and second by NOT doing what God says “to do”

Gen 3:11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

Jas 4:17
So any person who knows what is right to do but does not do it, to him it is sin.

What was Adam's job? God told Adam what his job was.

Gen 2:15 And the Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to tend and guard and keep it. (AMP)

Somebody might say Adam's job was supposed to toil the ground and keep the weeds out. But, there was no curse on the earth at that time so there was no need to do any kind of lawn, yard, or garden maintenance.

Adam's job was to “guard and protect the garden” Adam had authority over all of the works of God's hands including angels!

Who allowed the serpent into the garden? Did Adam sin by NOT doing what God told him to do?